Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Barracuda Championship (Reno, NV) . . . Completed 2nd Round
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,043

Barracuda Championship (Reno, NV) . . . Completed 2nd Round

Jul 27, 2019, 3:46 PM
IMG_1167.JPG(132.1 K)

FINALLY!!! Everyone has completed the Second Round . . . Here's how we stand entering "Moving Day":

The Leader sits @ +25 . . . the Cut Line was +8 for those curious enough to "Ponder" . . . (Rules you know?!!!)

Jonathan Byrd is T-13 @ +17

Sam Saunders is T-22 @ +15

DJ Trahan is T-38 @ +13

Their is plenty of time to make a strong move up the leaderboard!!!

Reminder of "Modified Stableford" Scoring:
Double-Eagle = 8 pts
Eagle = 5 pts
Birdie = 2 pts
Par = 0 pts
Bogey = -1 pt
Double Bogeys and over = -3 pts

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Barracuda Championship (Reno, NV) . . . Completed 2nd Round

Jul 27, 2019, 4:47 PM

May be the best Pondering I’ve ever seen. Too bad the druids hit DJ yesterday... he was cooking something special.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Barracuda Championship (Reno, NV) . . . Completed 2nd Round

Jul 27, 2019, 5:14 PM

What is it with our Tiger golfers that they don’t seem to take advantage of the par 5’s...

Sam is even par on them through 2 rounds...

Go Tigers!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucas knows how to make them sing!!!

Jul 27, 2019, 5:16 PM

Wish he were playing this week!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Golf Channel

Jul 27, 2019, 5:19 PM

Is covering this Tournament for the next three hours . . . Maybe we'll see our Tigers take a shot or two . . . Maybe???

(Spoiler Alert . . . They just showed J Byrd running a twenty footer in for birdie on the first hole!!!)

They just showed J Byrd again . . .

Jul 27, 2019, 5:40 PM

Another 20+ foot putt . . . This one for Eagle on the second hole . . . It was "center cup", one roll short of falling!!!

The birdie brought him to +21 and on the Leaderboard . . .

He missed a shorter (~12 feet) uphill birdie putt on the Par 3 Third hole . . . He is getting a bunch of air time!!!

Re: They just showed J Byrd again . . .

Jul 27, 2019, 8:53 PM

Will someone please reboot the ShotLink server!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2019, 9:55 PM

Why no updates on the leaderboard... seems nothing else posted past couple of hours. I didn’t get to see the coverage unfortunately.

Didn’t look like any weather delay.

Jul 27, 2019, 9:59 PM

They are having trouble with Shotlink. It is a problem on the television coverage as well, which is still ongoing by the way. Byrd is about to finish up on 18.

Jul 27, 2019, 10:19 PM

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2019, 10:22 PM

At the moment, it looks like they've restored a backup from a few hours ago.

Barracuda Championship . . . After 3rd Round

Jul 27, 2019, 10:30 PM

Leader @ +37

Jonathan Byrd is T-6 @ +29

DJ Trahan is T-19 @ +25

Sam Saunders is T-38 @ +20

Could very well be a Special day for a few Tigers tomorrow!!!!!!!

(Looks like all scores have been posted - finally!!!)

Re: Barracuda Championship . . . After 3rd Round

Jul 28, 2019, 12:11 AM

Thanks Skeeta and Schema for keeping us updated. I know, it’s true every tournament but you’ve got to put together 4 great rounds. First day really got DJ only scoring one point and then unfortunately yesterday when play was suspended... he had the mojo working.

Leader shows what eagles can do for you. Those two are birdies and he’d be at +31. Just saying.

Either way, going to be exciting watching tomorrow!!!!

K-too, your statement about our Tigers

Jul 28, 2019, 1:01 AM

not taking advantage of the Par 5's and a statement by one of today's announcers made me ask, "Why do we struggle here?"

The announcer stated that you MUST average 290 yards per drive or the game at current distances will leave you behind. So I searched for our Tigers "Average Driving Distance" for this season. Below is what I found:

The Leader's Avg Driving Distance = 316.6 yards

@ #50 Sam Saunders @ 299.7 yards

@ #89 Lucas Glover @ 295.0 yards

@ #143 Kyle Stanley @ 289.4 yards

@ #188 Jonathan Byrd @ 281.3 yards

DJ Trahan had no stats for this current year, however in 2017 on the Korn Ferry Tour his Avg Driving Distance was just over 311 yards!!!

So if the announcer's statement is true, only J Byrd should be struggling . . . More likely it's the ability to hit the long irons and fairway woods accurately which is limiting our guys.

(I'll keep looking for Doc's, Ben's, Billy's and Bryson's Driving Distance.)

Korn Ferry Tour Stats:
@ #150 Billy Kennerly @ 281.8 yards

Probably Batson...

Jul 28, 2019, 10:44 AM

Again.... ;)

His focus has been a bit elsewhere...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: K-too, your statement about our Tigers

Jul 28, 2019, 11:20 AM [ in reply to K-too, your statement about our Tigers ]

Fantastic research Skeeta. Just following their rounds this year, it’s something that caught my eye that the par 5 scoring was low... seemingly.

On this pga stat as of last week:

Sam- 96
Kyle- 98
Lucas- 106
Byrd- 164
DJT- Not in top 195.

Understanding this is fluid and changes as well as doesn’t take into account the #tournaments, type of course, etc. I’ve read about the strokes gained stat that’s been used since 2005? And seems to be the standard now.... but I didn’t find any rankings, plus way over my technology challenged brain.

Was just curious and the desire to see one of our own hoist a trophy!!!!!

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.114.html

While I was looking for the reason we might be struggling,

Jul 28, 2019, 12:10 PM

maybe I should have looked at the notion, "Are we struggling?"

The PGA Stat Sheet which calculates every player's Scoring Avg on Par 5's, might be a better indicator. This stat line take the scores recorded for every Par 5 played and computes the average number of strokes each player takes to complete a Par 5 Hole.

Here is how we stack up:

The Leader takes 4.43 Strokes per Par 5

@ 66th Kyle takes 4.60

@ 72nd Lucas takes 4.61

@ 157th Sam takes 4.69

@ 176th Jonathan takes 4.72

They only rated 198 Players . . . Guess who sits @ 197 ??? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mr Mickelson, he takes 4.81 Strokes!!!

While the numbers appear really close and seem insignificant, in reality, if there are three Par 5s on a Course, our worst player on Par 5s (J Byrd) will be giving up 1 Stroke to the very best per Round . . . 4 Strokes in a Tournament Weekend . . . and we all know how hard 4 Strokes are to make up!!!

Re: While I was looking for the reason we might be struggling,

Jul 28, 2019, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I had seen that about Phil... which is surprising since he still has some distance. Good stats you have there.

I’m sure you’ve looked before but the list of players that have 5+ tour wins isn’t very many considered the number of golfers who have attempted to play... in that regard, Mr Penley is in a rare class of coaches to have had the success.

I sure hope no one would look at these discussions as being negative in any way. And, I think we have a good group of golfers coming up that when all said and done will have great careers. I would like to have a Tiger golfer come on tour and take it by storm like a Justin Thomas, spieth, Phil, or koepka...

Meant to congratulate you on that nice catch you posted a couple days ago!!!!

Re: While I was looking for the reason we might be struggling,

Jul 28, 2019, 1:20 PM

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh no . . . Nothing negative intended at all!!!

Jul 28, 2019, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Re: While I was looking for the reason we might be struggling, ]

Just an honest look at where we stand on Par 5s!!!!!!! I'm with you about Coach P's players and his ability to find and teach the caliber guy's he continues to turn out!!!

One day soon a beast will emerge from his ranks . . . It may be Doc himself!!!!!!!

(BbO - the pic was posted in one of Spud's threads last Friday.)

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,043
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic