Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bama vs Clemson by position
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Bama vs Clemson by position

Oct 26, 2018, 10:55 AM

QB- even
RB- Clemson
WR- slight Clemson but could argue even
TE- even
OL- even could argue Bama
DL- Clemson
LB- Clemson
CB- Clemson
S- even
P- Bama
K- even

Now maybe I am biased but I know Bama is young at many positions but they are talented ofcourse. We are experienced and talented at many of those sams positions.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama vs Clemson by position

Oct 26, 2018, 11:15 AM

QB- CLEMSON BY FAR! Alabama hasn't played against anyone with a defensive pulse yet. Trevor is way better than TUA. He has a quicker release, makes better decisions, and has a higher accuracy. He's thrown for more touchdowns in limited playing time due to splitting reps with KB.
RB- Clemson
WR- Clemson simply has more weapons which is what makes them more dangerous. We have triple the depth at WR than Alabama. All of them are a simple step away from taking it to the house when the ball is throw to them. PLEASE SEE: Hunter Renfrow aka, Punter Runthrow
TE- even
OL- Clemson - Bama is having issues at O-Line and it showed during the Texas A&M game. They're great on their starting lineup, but struggle in the rotation of backups.
DL- Clemson
LB- Clemson
CB- Clemson
S- Clemson
P- Bama maybe, depends on who is punting, but our coverage is a little better and our returns are producing major yardage.
K- even

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Oct 26, 2018, 11:30 AM

Qb-
I think it is borderline irresponsible to say Trevor is better than Tua right now. I agree that I think trevor will be better eventually, but currently he is not there.
Rb-
Talent wise it is bama they are on a rotation so no one back will put up numbers like ET, but I agree this is probally even.
WR-
This is really close. Both are littered with Talent. Overall Clemson has more depth.
TE-
Very even. Both have a legit blocker and pass catcher that are in the rotation.
OL-
Close as well, but slight edge to Bama. Bama has legit top 5-10 nfl draft talent on their O-line.

DL-
Not real close. Clemson has this category with overall talent and Depth.
LB-
Very close. Lamar and Joseph are just as good Bama tandem of Mack and Moses. This is probably even.
CB-
Clemson slightly. We have elite talent on this level, Bama is young here, but very talented.
S-
Bama Slightly. They have a top ten NFL draft pick at safety and we just don't have that.

K-
Clemson. This is where we have a slight edge. Bama cannot seem to find any consistency here.
P-
Pretty even we both could do a lot better.

I think we match up well, but we can't look so much through orange tinted glasses at these things.

Oct 26, 2018, 11:36 AM

Obviously Tua has had more success so far this year, but I believe by the time we meet them, TL will be the better QB. He is improving every week.

He better improve a lot ever week to get to that level

Oct 26, 2018, 1:49 PM

Tua is having the most efficient season any QB has ever had in the history of CFB.

Oct 26, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

I'm trying to take my orange glasses off. I believe S, OL, K and P are the only positions any team could be better than we are. I know Bama has amazing talent no doubt but we are stacked with future NFL players on both sides of the ball. We have more experience at almost every position on D. I know Bama is dang good and would not be easy to beat but for people to act like they are just head and shoulders above us is idiotic imo.

very accurate assessment***

Oct 26, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who have we played with a defensive pulse?***

Oct 26, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who have we played with a defensive pulse?***

Oct 26, 2018, 12:50 PM

We have played better Ds overall statistically so ill give him that but I agree that neither of us has played a really good D yet.

Re: Who have we played with a defensive pulse?***

Oct 26, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Who have we played with a defensive pulse?*** ]

To date, the highest both teams have played is Texas A&M.... But Clemson's opponents average in the 60's in defense so far, and Bama's average in the 90's by S&P+. From here on though, Bama plays much tougher D's.

Oct 26, 2018, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

What? Trevor has been really good, but he has half as many tds as Tua, and 2 interceptions to Tua's ZERO. No way right now you can say that Trevor is better than Tua without orange colored glasses on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Odd to question the decision-making of a guy who has zero interceptions

Oct 26, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

and 25 touchdowns. You can talk about bad defenses that he’s faced all you want, but it takes good decisions to NEVER throw a pick.

Add to that three sacks, and I’d say the guy’s decision making is above reproach. Although to be fair, I haven’t watched their games.

Good discussion. In summary, we compare very favorably to Bama. I like our QB and expect he’ll get better every week. I love our running game and our receivers. I think our O-Line has shown flashes of brilliance and I’m glad we continue to develop depth. Our D-Line is world class and our secondary started the season shaky but has since done outstanding. And kickoffs are gloriously undramatic. Tons of reasons to be excited about this team.

Beat FSU!!!

null

Re: Odd to question the decision-making of a guy who has zero interceptions

Oct 26, 2018, 3:55 PM

That is what I'm trying to get at. If anything it's pretty much even. It is not just Bama is dominate at every position.

Oct 26, 2018, 11:39 AM

I'd give the edge to bama at QB, but not by much. I think TL will be better by the end of his career but at this point Tua is ahead of him.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 26, 2018, 11:56 AM

Well by the time we play them, if we do, I believe TL will be even better. Tua has been phenomenal tho no doubt about it. I'm excited to see how he does against LSU at night on the road.

Oct 26, 2018, 11:58 AM

Maybe it's just me but I think we hold a significant advantage at Wr. Tee and Ross are Aj green and julio jones clones. They're both 6'4" with exceptional ball skills to high point the ball on deep routes and they both have fantastic hands that allows them to make contested catches. Both are phenomenal blockers in the run/screen game and I can't see a scenario where both aren't legitimate top 15 draft picks when it's all said and done. Add in Rogers and Renfrow (the elephant killer) in the slot and I don't think it's close.

Don't get me wrong the bama guys are good but they're more track stars than Wrs. The tallest of the three is 6' 1". They run nice deep routes and posts but they are no where near as polished route runners or blockers as our wr corp seems to be.

Just an opinion from an amateur I suppose

Oct 26, 2018, 12:03 PM

I agree for sure. They are dang good but they do not go as deep nor do they have anybody with the talent of Ross or Higgins. They have a dang good group tho.

Oct 26, 2018, 12:32 PM

Non calls on Holding and Targeting: Bama by a wide margin.

Oct 26, 2018, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

Yes, depth is a plus for us, we can keep fresh legs in the game. Is there a better slot receiver in the country ?

Jerry Jeudy is ever bit as talented as Ross and Higgins

Oct 26, 2018, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

He was a big time 5* guy that's played like it. He's averaging 25 yards per catch right now. Waddle was also a 5* that's making a big impact as a true FR averaging over 20 YPC. Ruggs and Devonta Smith are both former 4* sophomores that are having good years.

Bama is loaded with elite young talent at WR, just like we are.

Re: Jerry Jeudy is ever bit as talented as Ross and Higgins

Oct 26, 2018, 2:37 PM

Well he was rated slightly lower than Higgins on 247 lol. I would rather have a few guys that are 6 4 tho. We also have Rodgers and Kendrick who are dang good themselves. Renfrow has the best hands in college football. I'm not sure Bama goes as deep as we do but not sure. They are dang good but I think we take a slight edge at WR

Oct 26, 2018, 1:20 PM

Terrific post and discussion. Need more of this.
My 0.2c is Tua has the edge due to experience but TL is quickly catching up. I believe we will meet them and excel. It will be another one for the ages.
No mention of play calling edge. Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 1:26 PM

Having a year to learn sure does help so I can see giving Tua the edge. Maybe they have the edge at OL and S as well tho I'd take K'Von over about anybody. I like their play calling and it has been creative as well as different for a Bama team but our boys have been around much longer at their current school and seem to be getting into a nice rhythm so I would give us the edge.

Yeah that's pretty biased

Oct 26, 2018, 1:46 PM

Bama has the 2nd best offense in the country behind Oklahoma. We aren't better than them at any position on that side of the ball.

QB - Bama (Sorry but Trevor is not at that level yet)
RB - Even
WR - Even
TE - does it matter?
OL - Bama

DL - Clemson
LB - Bama? (i don't think our LBs have had a great year)
DB - Clemson (barring an injury)
S - Even

P - Even (both are bad)
K - Clemson (both have been bad, but their's has been awful)

Re: Yeah that's pretty biased

Oct 26, 2018, 2:46 PM

Our RBs are better statistically against better D's. I might give you QB but NFL scouts would probably all disagree with you. WR is close but we have tall guys that can go up and get it and we go deeper. They have a more talented OL for sure. I would say LB is pretty even I just think Jospehs leadership gives us the edge.

Oct 26, 2018, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Yeah that's pretty biased ]

The common thread between Tua and Trevor (and Oklahoma's Murray) is that defensive coordinators do not have enough film against quality opponents to learn what weaknesses to exploit. As good as Tua has been, I still think when you consider non passing numbers Lamar Jackson's was better 8 games into the season, and every Clemson fan remembers the crash that came after he had gotten the Heisman votes over Watson. A better comparison to Tua might be RG3 who eventually crashed himself. I think that between LSU, Auburn, and the SEC Championship that Tua gets pushed enough to at least unveil a couple of ###### in the armor for BV to exploit. Regardless of who is better, I don't think that any of our opponents stress Trevor enough to keep Bama's coaching staff from playing a guessing game in January.

Tua has been incredibly accurate but Trevor has better arm strength which I think will also narrow the gap against better defenses. I also like Trevor's ability to throw on the run and I think that it gets overlooked. Mobility does not mean that you have to pull the ball down and run. Personally, I think that defenses will come to fear Lawrence getting out of the pocket more than they did Lamar Jackson. Any DB that gets distracted for half a second is likely to get burned.

I certainly would not try to say that we have an advantage at QB now, and doubt that I would say that Trevor is better even at the end of the season. However, given that I think that I think that Alabama is going to have to show more of there hand, I'll take Trevor Lawrence all night long on Jan 7th, 2019 in Santa Clara.

Oct 26, 2018, 5:11 PM

I guess if you refer to dents in armor, don't use a term that could refer to a Chinese person. Took me a minute to figure out why in the world it was censored.

Oct 26, 2018, 5:24 PM

Great post! I was wondering about that as well but makes sense in this sensitive world.

Oct 26, 2018, 1:55 PM

+ 1 for starting a great thread. If the game were played today, I would give the QB edge to 'bamer, yet by playoffs TL will beat least even, more likely better.

Oct 26, 2018, 2:48 PM

Thanks. I want to see the national media who claim that we cannot compete with Bama this year break it down like this. Looks pretty even in my eyes with maybe us having the edge.

POTD C$

Oct 26, 2018, 3:03 PM

You’re coming around now there are no Clemson QB debates. Excellent topic. Slight QB edge to Bama as long as Tua is healthy. IMHO Trevor will be better pro, and Tua better collegian at present due to mobility creating problems for D. We saw Lamar Jackson make our D look vulnerable and Tua will do the same and tire the big guys out. D-line and WR edge to Tigers. Mullen is top corner and ETN top safety but anticipate slight edge to Bama on O-Line, special teams and coaching. Clemson +6.5 but I like our chances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 5:03 PM

What have you been smoking Cmoney??? TUA is better than TL right now. He has a natty for god's sake and is absolutely lighting everyone up... take the orange glasses off. ET is a great back but they have 3-4 ET's. Dont be such a homer ...you make yourself and our fanbase look like idiots!

Oct 26, 2018, 5:11 PM

I will give you that Tua may be better right now but TL is much more talented and is the better qb if you ask any NFL scout most likely. Our backup running back was the number back in the nation coming out of high school and our starter is top 5 in the heisman race. Sorry if you think it makes me look like an idiot. We avg 256 ypg 6.6 ypc and 3.3 TDs rushing while Bama avg 216 ypg 5.2 ypc and 2.6 TDs rushing. They have a better OL so how in the heck can you tell me they have better running backs??

Oct 26, 2018, 5:19 PM

They are all physically more ready for the pros than ET right now given the eyetest. ET will get stronger, but those bama backs are legit 5 stars and out of the box NFL ready. Tua is also a much better runner than Lawrence and doesn't seem to get rattled. TL has looked much better as of late, but Saturday will be the big test I want to see.

Oct 26, 2018, 5:29 PM

I will give you that Tua has the edge because his stats back it up. Our backs have more yards per carry and more touchdowns. They have done that behind a less talented OL yet you want to tell me their backs are better because they are more NFL ready? When ETN gets his hands right he is going to star in the NFL. Feaster has the body to be an nfl starter if he can keep his shoulder healthy. Now I know the 2 Harris' and Jacobs are dang good and talented as well they have some great stats but our RB unit has been better this year and it is not that close.

Oct 26, 2018, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Bama vs Clemson by position ]

I haven't watched Alabama this year so I can't say much about an eye test. Clemson as a team is averaging more per carry than any person is for Alabama. ETN is averaging 1.8 yards per carry more than their best and has 9 more TD's. All of this and I have not seen a single person not give the edge on the O line to Bama. Whether you agree or not it is far from an idiotic statement to claim that we have an edge at RB. Keep in mind that does not say we have an edge in the running game but simply at running back. Call me an idiot, but my eye is going to look at the numbers.

Oct 26, 2018, 8:12 PM

I'm not sure how any team could reasonably argue that they have a better QB than Tua right now. He's on pace to absolutely obliterate the all-time single season record for QB rating, yards/attempt and QBR. That isn't a knock on Trevor at all, but it's just difficult to argue against a guy who is on pace to set multiple records for the best single season for a QB in history.

At RB, there's no doubt that ETN is the best RB between both teams, but if I'm being honest then Bama has the edge at 2nd and 3rd team RB by just as much as ETN has an advantage over Damien Harris. I would put the two teams even.

At WR, I would say that we are even as far as our starters go, but we do have more quality depth than Bama.

TE- even
OL- Bama
DL- Clemson
LB- even
CB - slight to Clemson
S - slight to Bama
P - Bama
K - even

By my count, Bama has the advantage at four positions, us at two positions and even at five positions.

However, none of this actually matters in the game of football because our position groups don't go up against their corresponding position groups. Football is all about matchups so it will come down to who has the biggest advantage in the combination of all the matchups together.

I think that having Bama at #1 and us at #2 is the correct ranking at this time based on each team's performance so far this year. That's not to say that we can't beat them at the end of the season given how much we have improved since the beginning of the year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 11:20 PM

I agree they should be 1 and us 2 it is just the media acts like it is Bama and then everybody else. Like we do not compare to them. We are pretty equal to them across the board.

Oct 26, 2018, 11:47 PM

They have started to give us more credit after how well we've performed the past two games, but most pundits are ready to give the championship to Bama. If they end up beating LSU by double digits then the hype will be amped up all that much more.

We match up better than any other team in the country against them. Our DL should limit Tua's time which will prevent him from being able to throw to so many wide open receivers. I think we will be able to limit their run game as well.

The biggest reason why we match up well is that we have such great balance on offense with so many weapons. Their defense is not nearly as good as years past which means they will have to sell out to stop the run which will open up the passing game.

I think it would be a 7 point game with both teams scoring around 30. It could go either way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2018, 9:54 AM

Great stuff. I completly agree. I just hope if we do play that it is for it all and not just a playoff game but I will take em either way. We still have a lot of football to go before we worry about Bama but as fans it is fun to discuss. Wonder if most level headed Bama fans believe they are head and shoulders above us.

Oct 27, 2018, 12:54 AM

Anybody who says Tua has the slight edge or TL is the more talented QB clearly doesn't watch football. The only positions that we have over Bama is the DL and punter. They have 5 stars backing up 5 stars backing up 5 stars. No other team in the country is more talented than them. As far WRs go, Jerry Jeudy is probably the 2nd best WR in the nation behind AJ Brown. Their other two are studs as well.

Oct 27, 2018, 10:25 AM

If you think our WRs, RBs, CBs, and LBs are not every bit as good as Bama's you are tripping.

Oct 27, 2018, 1:06 AM

Except for a slight edge in total D Bama is a better team than Clemson right now.
I believe they have peaked and we have yet to do so.
We can beat them but not if we played tomorrow.
We got to keep getting better because we will have to beat them if we want another NC.

Oct 27, 2018, 1:31 AM

“Now maybe I’m being biased”. You are being very biased. Bama O line is a monster. Tua has all day to throw and you cannot have him even with TL right now the guy has 25 tds and no interceptions. Bamas WR corps is freaky good with dudes who can flat out fly. Clemson is up there too and maybe more diverse with some taller options. And safeties aren’t even close, Thompson and McKinney are studs and I love Wallace but Muse is shaky in coverage.

Oct 27, 2018, 5:43 AM

Tua is absolutely better right now, but I have no doubt we play Bama in the Natty and TL will outshine Tua. A QB like TL makes us so much better. The NC St. game pattern of him taking over will only get better.

It's pretty clear from this thread

Oct 27, 2018, 8:56 AM

That some posters, including the OP, understand how to 'discuss' in a thread. Others, take a shotgun to a slingshot competition. Pretty classless.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HC, DC, OC?

Oct 27, 2018, 11:17 AM

A couple people above mentioned play calling, but I'd be interested to hear more discussion of coaching as well as intangibles such as motivation, attitude, comraderie, teamwork, etc. I feel like those aspects are where Clemson exceeds all.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic