Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Nick Saban says Alabama's effort was "a little bit personal"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

New Story: Nick Saban says Alabama's effort was "a little bit personal"

Jan 2, 2018, 8:01 AM

Nick Saban says Alabama's effort was "a little bit personal"

For Nick Saban and Alabama, Monday’s Allstate Sugar Bowl wasn’t just about winning a game and advancing to the National Championship. For Saban and the Tide, it was personal and Clemson was the target. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and What goes around, comes around

Jan 2, 2018, 8:18 AM

We will be back.
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and What goes around, comes around

Jan 2, 2018, 9:22 AM

And Alabama will be there waiting.... OhioSt probably wants another shot at is too. We are getting there but not at the level we want to be. Go Tigers....

Jan 2, 2018, 10:37 AM

What level is that exactly? We just went 12-1, won an ACC championship and made the playoff with what has now become an "average" Clemson team. As a program we are doing everything at a very high level and just like every other team it takes a little luck and some great leaders to win Championships. We will be back and there is not a team out their that wants to get matched up with Clemson.

null

Jan 2, 2018, 11:36 AM

I agree. Clemson needs some tweaking, not a major overhaul. A few upgrades on offense will put the Tigers right back in the hunt.

Jan 3, 2018, 6:58 AM

Trevor Lawrence will be the starting QB and be the difference maker next Year!

Jan 2, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: and What goes around, comes around ]

With the talent we have we have not come close to our potential. Why? Offensive coaching.

Jan 2, 2018, 5:35 PM

I do not think it was offensive coaching, did you see a hole in the Tide D that we did not take advantage of? I saw no hole for the RBs to run through. I saw no open receivers.
I do not know if UGa or UOkla would have put up more than 21 against Alabama's D last night . For sure neither of them would have scored as much as they did yesterday.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: and What goes around, comes around ]

3 straight playoff appearances and a national championship is not coming close to our potential? Come on.. last night sucked but who thought we would even make it that far this year?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: and What goes around, comes around ]

I want an offensive line that can block Alabama's DLine! I want a punter that can flip the field. I want starting WRs that do not drop half the passes thrown to them in a game with Alabama. I love this team, but we are only beginning to recruit at the level that Alabama and Ohio State and FSU has been for many years. We have great coaches and great players but we need to continue to improve.

Re: New Story: Nick Saban says Alabama's effort was "a little bit personal"

Jan 2, 2018, 9:25 AM

Yes Nick...the Clemson fans could kind of tell you were mad at them...that was not a surprise. The one team that should be furious is the only team who finished undefeated...UCF!!!

Jan 2, 2018, 11:54 AM

Dawgs or Tide have to share the Natty with UCF. LOL - that will go over well.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:38 AM

Yep we took a licking, but we will come back kicking! I agree that we did not play up to Clemson's standard, and I give credit to the Alabama players for their outstanding play, however Clemson can still hold their heads high and remember that our beloved Tigers will be back again next year and for years to come. I wish all the seniors well and congratulate them in having won all the games they did.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

Yeah I think we'd have to admit Bama just

Jan 2, 2018, 10:00 AM

wanted it a bit more than us. Lots of factors in the loss, but Alabama's will to win the game was on a different level. Hopefully we can carry that forward.

Bama still shouldn't have been there

Jan 2, 2018, 10:01 AM

Playoff teams need to be determined on the field, not by a committee. Bama didn't win their division or conference. Nuff said.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

And yet

Jan 2, 2018, 10:35 AM

they were and destroyed us. They dominated every phase of the game. There was not one point from kickoff to the last whistle did it appear Clemson was remotely in it. The score may have looked like they were in it early on, but that was very deceiving. I agree that not even winning their division should've left them out and put Ohio St. in. For a team that "shouldn't" have been there, they proved that they deserved to be there.

I ain't buying that.

Jan 2, 2018, 10:47 AM

We were down 10-6 in position to take the lead.. not sure how one can say we were never in the game. It was there for the taking, the better team won.

Re: I ain't buying that.

Jan 2, 2018, 11:26 AM

Yes, 10-6 would indicate that we were in it at that point. At no time though were we matching up with them at all. They were moving the ball down the field while we were struggling to get a first down. Their lines were being manhandled by more physical Alabama lines. Maybe I'm wrong and they would've settled in had there not been essentially a pick 6 by their d-lineman. My view is they were more physical and controlled the game.

Jan 2, 2018, 11:57 AM

All good points, AF, but the only thing that was man handled was our O Line. Awful! Outside of that, totally even. Our D gave up 17 points, ALL on a short field and with a huge gift to Bama by the refs on their pass to the lineman. (Did you catch the blatant offensive pass interference???)
I know I’d have liked to be sitting at home eating pizza, getting completely healthy, and not having to play that extra game for the SEC and then getting a chance to play for the Natty. All without even winning your division!
Football is about how you handle all the injuries as the season goes on. We saw that Bama ain’t so good when they’re hurt. (What if Fitzpatrick or Hurts blows out their ACL in the SEC champ game? That changes everything, right?)
As a Clemson fan, our O line was the difference in not being able to at least flip the field and give our D a better chance.

Jan 2, 2018, 8:24 PM

For sure the D did what they could while dealing with them on a short field and missed calls. There were quite a few missed calls in that game. I applaud the D for what they were able to do, however, dealing with a short field and missed calls are part of the game. Alabama played field position and the O couldn't sustain drives to swap the field. I completely agree that the O line was awful and was destroyed. Their O line consistently got a good push allowing their RBs to gain 2-4 yards at a time.

Jan 2, 2018, 2:53 PM [ in reply to I ain't buying that. ]

We weren't prepared and were out coached.

Re: And yet

Jan 3, 2018, 7:07 AM [ in reply to And yet ]

I disagree with some of what you post. Our D certainly played well enough to win this game. The O and the special teams did not. With Watson at QB we probably win that game. Bryant did not play well enough to give us a chance. He followed a pattern of wrong reads on options, preferring to run himself first, and was not willing to put the ball up and let the WR make a play. Having said that, he did not have Mike Williams or Leggett to throw to.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama still shouldn't have been there

Jan 2, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Bama still shouldn't have been there ]

But somebody needs to make decisions based on what happens on the field.

they lost one road game, same as us

Jan 2, 2018, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Bama still shouldn't have been there ]

and Their loss was to A better team. No doubt they are one of 4 best teams. They should have been matched with UGA however in playoff. We got screwed with the seeding. Easier to eat Bama with one week prep vs a month

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lets face it...........

Jan 2, 2018, 10:05 AM

Bama was more physical all around. Having said that, this Tiger team overachieved. There is not a realistic Clemson fan out there that thought we would be in the playoffs at the beginning of the year. The defense played great but could not overcome the offensive woes. And how about Spence kicking two 40+ Yard field goals. I don't think he has done that all year. State championship and an ACC Championship. I'll take it.

I can't wait until we lay them i a couple of years again....

Jan 2, 2018, 10:07 AM

with TL and XT etc etc etc. Bama ran into the perfect Clemson offense yesterday. If they would have played Clemson's last years offense they would have been torched.

Re: I can't wait until we lay them i a couple of years again....

Jan 2, 2018, 10:36 AM

I would agree. We weren’t the passing team we were with Watson, so we didn’t stretch the field as much.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 10:31 AM

That game went down in flames. The game did not have a good "feel" from the get-go. Bama was gunning and we let them own us. There were some things I thought Bama clearly got away without penalty several times, annnnd I'm a little sketchy on how Payne #94 was an eligible receiver and how his other great fete of the evening appeared to be a snatched fumble and not an interception...where was Dabo? If Bryant wasn't getting it done (and ESPN would have STOPPED comparing him to Deshaun) why not put Johnson in awhile and get Bryant's head back in the game?? Would we have done worse at that point? Where was Wilkins? Where was Renfroe? Where was Ray Ray? Where was everyone? Bama wasn't even giving us time to set....flames, massive flames. Yes, we were #1, but last night we played like the Three Stooges, not the #1 team with the #1 defense. Bama made it personal, they were ready and better equipped to kick ### and they came to win...what were we doing, having gumbo and hurricanes?

Jan 2, 2018, 3:10 PM

I agree, Clemson team should have not had toooo much fun in NO. Saban refuse to let his team have fun in a very serious matter. This needs to stop when a team is there to play a game this was not a vacation spot for the team! They should have practice and reflect and go back to the room and go over plays and plans. A big mistake from Dabo, no more fun, PLEASE!!!!!!! Take every game very serious!!!!

yeah we noticed that with the targeting on ETN on the opening kickoff***

Jan 2, 2018, 10:42 AM

Good point. Refs had a chance to reel in the

Jan 2, 2018, 10:52 AM

junk right from the first play. The refs were a negative factor, no doubt.

Bama, low class in winning and losing. We still reside in their head***

Jan 2, 2018, 10:43 AM

Re: Bama, low class in winning and losing. We still reside in their head******

Jan 2, 2018, 11:07 AM

Jan 2, 2018, 11:12 AM

Not sure where the "low class…" Comment comes from. Yes, it was personal for Alabama, and that doesn't come from anything Clemson did last year except wear us down in the fourth quarter with several perfectly executed Drives and throttle us with a dominant defense. It became personal when we lost, much like it was personal with Watson from the year before, using a loss as a motivation for the next game. I imagine the Tigers will find personal motivation to face Alabama again, And will probably be the team that has the "edge" advantage.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:33 PM

Tks for your class in evaluating the Tigers. Games should be played and not trashed. Congrats to your team. And now back to work for CU.

CB Brown= low class after winning

Jan 3, 2018, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Bama, low class in winning and losing. We still reside in their head****** ]

He was the only guy this time, but his attitude seems indicative of Bama players. Look at it this way- Bama has won 4 NCs since 2009, so 4 of 9 years. Nearly half of all those years a NC and Saban has himself a dynasty. However, there is a sense of entitlement with your entire program, players, and fans. Bama wins the year before and somehow they act like they were cheated when we won ONE? I do realize teams change from each year to the next and Hurts never won one, so not talking about him.

Your whole program is close to classless. No, not everyone involved, that's inaccurate. But if your program had class, they would've reacted a bit different when they lost to us. Instead, attitudes of being deprived their God given right to win NCs.

Congratulations on your win, your team outplayed ours. But we have two different ideas of class, I guess. And when one is grateful for their blessings, they are more admirable. When one takes life for granted, they are a fool. I'll take the Clemson program trying to scratch and claw for a third NC rather becoming so used to NCs, that we all expect them every year. That is boring.

Oh, and I'll take a playoff appearance in a rebuilding year. Clemson isn't going anywhere.

It will interesting to see if Bama has anything left for UGA

Jan 2, 2018, 11:22 AM

Clearly they made this all about us. Can they keep that same intensity for Georgia? They don't have a beef with Georgia like they did us. We'll see but if Georgia's offense can perform better than ours I think they can win. Bama's offense is just not impressive.

Re: It will interesting to see if Bama has anything left for UGA

Jan 2, 2018, 11:44 AM

Depends on how the Doggie Oline holds up. Block and Georgia probably wins. If 'Bama's D breaks through time after time, Nicky will have #5 in Tuscaloser.

Nice talk Nick, but

Jan 2, 2018, 11:45 AM

We hoisted the trophy after beating you last year. Lose Monday and you’ve avenged our Natty with a Sugar Bowl trophy.

Re: Nice talk Nick, but

Jan 2, 2018, 12:23 PM

I'm just glad we won and neither team had control over the venue. Hopefully there's no hangover that affects the prep for UGA. They may be the ones with less gas in the tank after late game drama and 2 overtimes.
Good luck to the Tigers, a very classy program definitely at the highest level and with a very bright future.

Jan 2, 2018, 12:25 PM

Careful Saban. The adage of taking care of comments about teams on your way up cause you'll see them on your way down. His success has given him an arrogance, like his team. Humility is noble and missing at the Tide.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure he's arrogant, just nor very comfortable with the media and usually his criticism is aimed at himself and his team.

Jan 2, 2018, 2:41 PM

> I'm not sure he's arrogant, just nor very comfortable
> with the media and usually his criticism is aimed at
> himself and his team.

Saban has always been arrogant and it's always about him. Just ask the Dolphins team he just up and left because he sucked in the NFL. He's uncomfortable around the media because he's arrogant. However, he is a great college football coach. I can't take that away from him.

Jan 2, 2018, 3:10 PM

Well, I don't know him personally and perhaps your observations are more accurate from personal contact. Is he uptight? Yes. Does he have a temper? yes, just like Dabo. He also has a standard that doesn't waiver and that's hard on the players, but the process produces results as well as people who are better equipped for life after football. (Work first, play later is a recent example.)

Saban is a defensive genius.

Jan 2, 2018, 3:07 PM

Time of possession is his bread and running the ball is his butter.

ESPiN toasted Saban's defenses for two years calling each the best of all time. Maybe it's true, maybe they were right and Saban knew it. The more ESPiN bragged about Bama's defense being the best of all time the more we rolled up the yardage on them. What 1100 yards in the first two games?

Two of Saban's top ever defenses being stomped by the same team. Clemson turned his bread and butter into dried out, molded cheese. He had to pass to win and not just that he had to use trick passes and a never seen onside kickoff to keep our offense off the field for the win in the first game.

He was beaten at his own game so his taking it personally was expected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban is a defensive genius.

Jan 2, 2018, 3:19 PM

You think Dabo doesn't take last night's game personally? I hope anyone who works for a living takes what they do personally.
I don't think I've EVER heard Saban quote a statistic about team or individual rankings, other than hating pre-season #1. He may be a lot of things but not a braggart.
And to Clemson's credit, you did have Bama on the ropes in the '15 game and the onside kick was out of desperation. (If Clemson had pulled off the same play, Tiger fans would probably call it brilliant.)
And last year, you totally gassed our defense. By the way, Nick has said so about both games.

Jan 2, 2018, 6:26 PM

I don't think Clemson lost the game because of any fun had by players, any seriousness or lack thereof by either Saban or Dabo. I think domination at the LOS by Bama D-line over Clemson O-line decided that game. Let's face it - it was 10-6 at the half. Bama wasn't running all over Clemson at will. But Clemson could not budge. And when we did budge, its a dropped pass or this or that.

I'll take a lot of heat from this because I know Saban gets results. But I do think that aspect of his culture is long-term unhealthy. They are kids. He gets the millions of dollars - not them. In the NFL, sure have that type mentality. But not in the NCAA. Yes I know its hard to argue with trophy after trophy. But I still believe it to be true.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:22 PM

JSScott, You posted this over three hours ago but I hope you'll come back and read this reply. Your concerns are very valid and I hope that nick's approach, which includes academic, psychological, life skills and other types of support and counseling, or producing balanced adults and not just Sunday performers. Much has been said, especially on this board today about his character. A big difference between the Alabama and Clemson programs is the amount of disability/transparency. Fun does happen in the Alabama locker room, Saban has been known to crack a smile, Tell a joke and also is the recipient of a fair amount of pranks. It's just that these don't get publicized. Dabo projects a great image with dancing, pizza parties and a great stage awareness. I think it's a major recruiting asset and wish that Nick would do the same. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jan 3, 2018, 9:34 PM

Give Bama and their staff credit. They came in knowing EXACTLY what they needed to do: sell out on stopping the run and challenge us to beat them throwing the ball. Which we couldn't.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic