Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bama can be ranked 4th tonight, means nothing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Bama can be ranked 4th tonight, means nothing

Nov 12, 2019, 9:52 AM

They can even be ranked 4th while they are sitting at home on Championship weekend watching Utah, Oregon, and Oklahoma. But in the only ranking that matters, the last one, they arent taking an 11-1 non champ over a 12-1 Conference Champ that has more signature wins than Bama.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama can be ranked 4th tonight, means nothing

Nov 12, 2019, 9:57 AM

You may be correct but.....

It is interesting to remember that fact

Nov 12, 2019, 9:58 AM

As opposed to the traditional AP style poll where teams seldom move down when they win or don't play, the CFP committee has shown the willingness to move teams down if other teams who were behind them achieve something worthy of note in their eyes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2019, 9:59 AM

I think 11-1 Alabama will get in. It’s Alabama. The name, the history, the reputation will not be ignored by the committee.

Nov 12, 2019, 10:03 AM

I could see something crazy happening and Bama getting in if there is only 1 other 1-loss team to compare them to.

What I don't see happening is multiple 1-loss conference champions being left out in favor of Bama.

If Big12 and Pac12 finish with 1 loss champions, then Bama is out.

I think you are probably right, but it's troubling to me if

Nov 12, 2019, 10:04 AM

they have Bama or UGA 4. It would mean that their bias is extremely relevant. Having Minnesota at 17 was thoroughly stupid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2019, 10:06 AM

I think you're exactly right. Unfortunately, that won't stop people from going crazy tonight when Bama ends up at the #4 spot. The committee has explained in the past that conference championships are taken into account, but they can only consider those championships once they actually happen. This means for instance that they won't try to predict the future by giving credit to Oregon for winning the PAC 12, but once Oregon beats Utah(or the other way around) they would most likely jump over Bama.

Nov 12, 2019, 10:10 AM

Exactly. The Oregon/Utah winner would have a top 10 win and a conference championship, both of which Alabama wouldn't have. Plus an extra win. The same thing could be said of Baylor/Oklahoma. One of them would have a top 10 or top 20 win, an extra win and a conference championship.

As long as Oregon and Utah both win out and face each other as top 10 teams in the PAC 12, the winner will jump an idle #4 Alabama. Baylor could make it very interesting is they are able to beat Oklahoma twice and win the Big 12 championship. Same could be said of Oklahoma. If the Sooners beat Baylor twice and win the Big 12 championship.

Who would the committee take for the fourth and final spot?

Oregon (12-1) Pac 12 champion with a top 10 win over Utah or Oklahoma (12-1) Big 12 champion with a top 10-15 win over Baylor, twice?

I would think Oregon

Utah (12-1) Pac 12 champion with a top 10 win over Oregon or Oklahoma (12-1) Big 12 champion with a top 10-15 win over Baylor, twice?

I would go with Utah

The only way I could see a Big 12 champion overtaking the Pac 12 champion with one loss and a top 10 win would be if Baylor were able to beat Oklahoma twice and win the Big 12 championship. It would be impossible to deny Baylor ar 13-0 with 2 top 10 or top 15 wins over Oklahoma.

If LSU, Oregon, O31O State, OU and Clemson all win out

Nov 12, 2019, 10:10 AM

Bama ain't getting in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If LSU, Oregon, O31O State, OU and Clemson all win out

Nov 12, 2019, 12:08 PM

Why does everyone keep excluding a 1-loss Utah? If they win out, then they are the Pac-12 champion at 12-1. I think they have to be included too.

Also, as average as Minnesota looks, if they win out, then they are the Big10 champion at 13-0. How can anyone exclude them yet?

Now if UGA wins out, they will be 12-1 and the SEC champion, but in that case I think LSU gets in over Bama if LSU is 12-1.

Even Baylor, in spite of their struggles could end up at 13-0, so they're still in.

Penn State would probably be an extreme long shot and I doubt they have a prayer, but if they manage to defeat OSU in a couple of weeks, then they might be the front runner in the Big10 and still in it.

Unfortunately, the other 1-loss teams that could win out will not even sniff the CFP due to lack of "body of work" or level of competition.

I don't see any other contenders at this point though.

I was going to say, Baylor is still sitting there undefeated***

Nov 12, 2019, 12:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Utah and Oregon are interchangeable.***

Nov 12, 2019, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: If LSU, Oregon, O31O State, OU and Clemson all win out ]

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

True..but you're post is alot of what ifs

Nov 12, 2019, 10:13 AM

Still way too much football to play to worry about the rankings.

No guarantee that LSU, OSU, or even Clemson will make it.

And why worry? Disney gets paid to talk about this stuff on their 800 tv platforms. We don't. Ain't a durn thing we can do but watch the games and wait.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 12, 2019, 10:24 AM

What is tough for people to remember is that games not played yet do not matter in this poll. Technically, Alabama could still go to and win the SEC championship, though it is highly unlikely with LSU's remaining schedule. I think that the committee will rank them 4, but look for a chance to move them back, unless losses by other teams opens a door.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic