Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bad South Carolina Fans
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Bad South Carolina Fans

May 7, 2012, 9:15 AM

I have lived in Oregon, Kansas, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Nebraska, Wyoming, New York, Texas and Tennessee. I am a Clemson graduate but attended South Carolina for my first two years. The worst fans that I have seen anywhere that I have lived have been the fans that never darkened the doors of any university. They give the whole school a bad name and have nothing to do with it but are almost always the loud and obnoxious ones that make their team look bad. It is not always the case but it has been that way more times than not. When I have been at away Clemson games ours fans who are not graduates are usually the ones that make us look bad. Start watching and see if that is not usually the way it is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bad South Carolina Fans

May 7, 2012, 9:59 AM

That's rediculous to lump them all into that category.

My theory is that fans are only as smart as their opponents.

May 7, 2012, 10:41 AM

In South Carolina, the state is made up of about 50/50 Clemson and coot fans - also a large number of the graduates from the schools stay in state. It is almost guaranteed that as a Clemson graduate I will have to hear some smart alec or insulting remark regarding Clemson's coaches, players, facilities, university, or fanbase at least once a day. And probably vice-versa for the coots. So it is imperative that fans educate themselves on whats going on with their team and it's rivals.

However, the most ignorant and obnoxious fan base that I have ever come across was UGA. When I worked in Georgia EVERYBODY and there brother was a UGA fan. Because in the state of Georgia, Tech fans only exists within the confines of Atlanta and when they graduate they go out of state. So, no real competition in terms of fan bases for UGA. Also, as you said, the majority of UGA 'fans' did not go to Georgia and only start talking trash and screaming 'Go Dawgs' during football season.

True story, a little over a year and a half ago when I was still working in Georgia I had a guy walk up to me and say 'How 'bout them Dawgs?' because he knew that I was a Clemson fan.
I said 'What about them, they lost.'
'Really? To who?' the guy asked.
'To Arkansas.'
Then the guy asked me, 'How did Matt Stafford do?'
'He was drafted two years ago.'

And situations like this happened more often than not.

Re: My theory is that fans are only as smart as their opponents.

May 7, 2012, 4:51 PM

You seem to understand very well the point that I was trying to make. I sure didn't mean to get into a graduate versus non-graduate debate. My intent was to point out that people who have nothing invested in the program are usually the ones that are the hardest to take. Many people support the program and are proud to be fans because they have an interest in the purpose of having a football team and that is an investment in the university. Using the term graduates was a bad choice on my part.

That's the epitome of redundancy**

May 7, 2012, 10:46 AM

NM

My thoughts exactly. The folks who normally are braying

May 7, 2012, 11:00 AM

for coach's heads and who want to turn the football program into a farm-team for the NFL are pretty much always the folks who have nothing invested in the university's reputation. I've never had a job interview where Clemson's ability to make it to a BCS bowl has factored into the hiring decision, but Clemson's reputation as a pretty darned good land-grant college has definitely factored into things.

May 7, 2012, 11:08 AM

I formulated the 90/10 rule.

Most fan bases, Clemson included... have 90% of fans that love their team and are generally good people. Then they have the 10% that are jerks, losers, sore-losers... on and on.

Then you have those fan bases that are 10/90. SCar is a 10/90 school. You will occasionally meet one who you can have a good discussion with... do a little friendly ribbing about whoever won the last game and leave the convo smiling.... occasionally.

LOL...90/10 and 10/90

May 7, 2012, 11:28 AM

That's a good rule. I definitely agree. The two years I lived in Columbia I definitely met a LOT of those 90%. Every time I told someone I was a Clemson graduate the smirks started and the jeers came quickly. And this was before their current football streak. It was the height of little brother mentality, one that I now see all the time from NC State fans toward UNC. I actually feel that NC State and SC fans have a lot in common, and both are likely 10/90 schools.

On the other hand, when I went to the Auburn game a few years ago, they were a great example of a 90/10...same for the Texas A&M fans that came up to Clemson while I was an undergrad.

Agree. Watch the graduates

May 7, 2012, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Bad South Carolina Fans ]

Both programs have graduates and they tend to be decent fans (except the SoCar graduates who applied to Clemson and were rejected).

The difference tends to be with the rest. Clemson's regular fans are more normal and level-headed. SoCar's just found a T shirt on sale at Walmart.

May 7, 2012, 11:37 AM

I CAN'T LOOK AT ANYONE AND TELL IF THEY ARE CLEMSON GRADUATES.YOU ARE GENERALIZING AND YOU KNOW IT. I SUPPORT CLEMSON, AND I HAVE MISSED A GRAND TOTAL OF FIVE FOOTBALL
GAMES SINCE 1977THRU 1911 HOME AND AWAY.I ALSO, HAVE SEASON TICKETS FOR BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL.DURING THIS TIME, I HAVE NEVER CALLED FOR A COACH TO BE FIRED,ALTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN THRU SOME BAD TIMES , WHEN IT WAS DIFFICULT TO NOT CAL FOR THEIR JOB.

PS I AM NOT A CLEMSON GRADUATE

May 7, 2012, 1:20 PM

why are you yelling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Can you tell us about some of those games

May 7, 2012, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Bad South Carolina Fans ]

around 1911-1924?

May 7, 2012, 1:10 PM

I am not a Clemson grad but have been in IPTAY and a season ticket purchaser since 1977. Love dem Tigers!
I explained it to my 15 year old son several years ago when uscjr began this logic-defying win streak against the Tigers this way; the coots are that kid down the street that nobody likes. Every now and then he gets up some courage and decides he wants to take on the bad kid down the street. He may occasionally get in a shot or two but by and large, will leave the engagement more times than not bearing the lumps, not giving them.
Here's betting that kid will tote MANY a lump in November.
GO TIGERS!!

Uh-oh, starting the whole grad vs. non-grad debate

May 7, 2012, 1:20 PM

Although this is seems to be more directed at the 99%.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic