Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Back In The Day............
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Back In The Day............

Oct 28, 2015, 9:49 PM

Before we were sitting in front of computers and inundated with opinions and trash talk, there was a time when newspapers were the primary source of insider information. The day after a football game I could not wait to gather up newspapers from all over the Carolinas and Georgia. Newspapers did not rely on stringers; they had actual sports writers who were assigned to teams and provided first hand information on a daily basis.

I fondly remember the great writers that worked the sports desks at The State, The Greenville News, the Charlotte Observer, the Raleigh News and Observer, etc. Even the Post and Courier had decent writers back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Sorry that I don't remember names easily at age 74, but I recall that The State. the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the Greenville News had hall of fame type writers on their sports pages.

If anyone can refresh my memory with the names of these great writers, I would be most appreciative.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back In The Day............

Oct 28, 2015, 9:57 PM

Dan Foster The Greenville News

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2015, 10:03 PM

Les Timms, Furman Bisher, Jim(?) Gillespie, Ron Greene

Bob Gillespie, and the infamous Herman Helms at The State***

Oct 28, 2015, 10:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim Anderson, Dan Foster, Herman Helms , Furman Bisher,

Oct 29, 2015, 12:07 AM

Bob Spear, Bob Gillespie, and Les Timms

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Michael Hunt - Columbia Record***

Oct 29, 2015, 11:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2015, 11:57 PM

I remember rushing out early on Sunday morning to the one place that had the Greenville news in my area. The Sun News coverage of Clemson was awful. The good thing was, you could buy two different papers and get two different slants and points of view because they actually had reporters.

Oct 29, 2015, 1:21 AM

On Magnoilia street in Spartanburg ,., the Baber/Ryne drug store on Sunday morning ,.,
Across the street from the Morgan Hotel the real HO tell
They had every major newspaper from the east coast ., the train Depot was next door .,
I would buy 4 dollars worth of Sunday papers .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In defense of the Sun News ....

Oct 29, 2015, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Back In The Day............ ]

Knowing the folks there at the time, the only agenda at MB was economic. It was a two-man staff on the opposite end of the state, with a large prep following and (at the time) a bunch of snowbirds who screamed more about a missed hockey score than Clemson. Also, with no computers or Tweets, etc., there was no ability to "live cover" ... so no economic incentive to do so.

The Executive editor was a Clemson grad (IIRC the only such daily exec ed in the state at the time) and the publisher was an FSU grad. They understood football. Sports editor Willie Binette was a heckuva guy who would have made a great SID or marketing director. The coverage of out-of-region sports was limited to what AP provided ... now, if you'd like to talk agenda in SC sports coverage, there's the place to start.

In short, no argument with your assertion of the lack of Clemson coverage. But that's why.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we no longer need the reporters to tell us

Oct 29, 2015, 6:00 AM

we can watch the game and have instant box scores and play by play

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2015, 1:14 PM

I fondly remember (every Sunday morning before church) waiting patiently for my Dad to relinquish his hold on the Greenville Newspaper. Once he was through reading the paper (ALL sections save The Parade) I'd grab the Sports and, of course the Comics (in full color, mind you) and hurry off to read Dan Foster's take on the Clemson game (all before heading out to church). If for some reason Dad was too busy to read the paper, I had to meticulously fold the paper back, ensuring that it was in "fresh, unread" condition. Great memories. Thanks you for your post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~• Other than THAT Jackie, how was the parade? •~

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic