Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: Tigers miss out on NIT bid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

BKB Update: Tigers miss out on NIT bid

Mar 13, 2016, 8:55 PM

Tigers miss out on NIT bid

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BKB Update: Tigers miss out on NIT bid

Mar 13, 2016, 8:57 PM

Sigh well let's go Baseball

NCAAT or bust next year for Brownell.

He probably should be gone this year but it won't happen.

If it did happen I want Wade from VCU to be call number one

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

you should take a look at the particulars of Will Wade's

Mar 13, 2016, 8:58 PM

contract at VCU

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you should take a look at the particulars of Will Wade's

Mar 13, 2016, 8:59 PM

Or you know here is an idea....

You could simply post them instead of being condescending for no reason.

you think that was condescending?***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:00 PM

and moronic

Mar 13, 2016, 9:12 PM

Wade's buyout is $1 million. Low in this business.

His annual contract is $1 million which is half of CBB. Seems like this should be call #1.

who said his buyout was a concern or issue?***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:23 PM

what IS the issue York?***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you think that was condescending?***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:19 PM [ in reply to you think that was condescending?*** ]

You think a 1 million buy out is too much to overcome?

And yes you were being an ###

who cares about his buyout? who said that was an issue?***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:22 PM

try not to be so vague next time...why should the

Mar 13, 2016, 9:25 PM

particulars of WW's contract be looked at?

Re: who cares about his buyout? who said that was an issue?***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:37 PM [ in reply to who cares about his buyout? who said that was an issue?*** ]

Well then what is the issue with his contract? Please inform us

If you look at his incentives and pay... and compare it

Mar 13, 2016, 9:46 PM

to Brad's, I think it would take a major commitment from Clemson to get him. Brad's are a little higher in places, but on the whole, I think it would be hard for Wade to leave a place like VCU, which is arguably a better job than Clemson, especially when his incentives are what they are there.

Wade receives a $10,000 bonus if VCU wins the A-10 regular season (outright or shared), and $10,000 for winning the A-10 tournament.

For making the NCAA tournament, he receives a $50,000 bonus. He receives $75,000 for each round the Rams advance through the Elite Eight. If VCU makes the Final Four, he gets another $100,000. He gets another $100,000 if the Rams win the national championship.

Other incentives:

*$20,000 for winning 20 games;
*$4,000 for a student-athlete who graduates by the summer of the completion of eligibility, or $2,000 for graduating within one year after the completion of eligibility;
*$3,500 for each nationally televised game, defined as a regular-season game on a major over-the-air network or cable broadcast;
*$7,500 for being named the A-10 coach of the year;
*$20,000 for being named The Associated Press coach of the year.

Re: If you look at his incentives and pay... and compare it

Mar 13, 2016, 9:55 PM

I think you meant to add another zero on to that base number, considering Wade's is $1 mil and Brownell's is $1.55 mil, which goes up to $2 mil by the end of the contract when the extension was made.

Furthermore, if you don't think Brownell's, or any other coaches, contract don't include similar numbers as far as incentives then you're being naive.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:58 PM

Brownell's yearly bonus opportunities total as high as $565,000. Performance incentives include $10,000 for any future NIT berth or achieving an academic progress rate benchmark; $15,000 for winning the NIT championship; $25,000 for being named ACC Coach of the Year; $35,000 for an NCAA tournament berth, plus $20,000 for each NCAA win; $50,000 for being named National Coach of the Year; $80,000 for an ACC regular-season championship; and $100,000 for winning an ACC tournament championship or an NCAA tournament championship.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140523/PC20/140529684 (Second to last paragraph)

I said Brownell's were higher... I wasn't comparing the

Mar 13, 2016, 10:02 PM

two

The point was that it was a very incentivized contract at a school that is basketball crazy and successful. VCU is a better basketball job than Clemson.

There's a reason Shaka held out for a "Texas" type job. His contract was even better. Wade's will increase with time at VCU. My point was, I'm not sure Clemson could throw what it would take to get Wade away from VCU...

He's at a place that he could hold out for that "Texas, ala Shaka" type job.

I did make a mistake on the base, you're right.

Would his connection to Clemson be enough? idk

They ought to put in a $1 million bonus for winning in

Mar 14, 2016, 12:48 AM

Chapel Hill. It would be worth it to get that monkey off our back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it speaks volumes about the level of support Clemson BB

Mar 13, 2016, 10:57 PM [ in reply to If you look at his incentives and pay... and compare it ]

receives if you think VCU is a better job

Mar 13, 2016, 11:07 PM [ in reply to If you look at his incentives and pay... and compare it ]

Even with those incentives he is paid less than Brownell so ### are you even talking about

yes... he is paid less than Brownell...

Mar 13, 2016, 11:12 PM

that doesn't exclude the fact that VCU is a better job than Clemson. He can reach his incentives almost every year at VCU. Yes, he would still make less than Brad, but he would also be in a position to wait on the "homerun" job.

He may listen to Clemson, and his ties to the school may be enough.

However, knowing that Shaka was in a position to turn down job after job until Texas came calling likely means Wade will be able to do the same.

His contract at VCU is no slouch, so my point remains that it would likely take a HUGE commitment from Clemson to get him, b/c he's in a place where he can win, and wait on that "dream" job.

idk.. maybe he's ties to Clemson would mean more than I think.. but it would mean Clemson poaching a guy from a school that is a better job than Clemson is.

I hope we can get him.

I disagree that VCU is a better job than Clemson.

Mar 14, 2016, 12:47 AM

It's a basketball first school in a talent-rich state, and they have seen success lately. But there is no way it compares to even the worst job in the ACC (which Clemson isn't).

If VCU is such a great job, why did they hire a SoCon coach in his mid 30s rather than getting someone more experienced and proven?

Shaka got the Texas job because he worked miracles at VCU. It is less about VCU being a great job and more about Shaka's coaching ability. It was an unknown school in the basketball world before that, and will likely become one again unless they keep making deep NCAA runs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Since 1980, VCU has been to the NCAAT 15 times, have 9

Mar 14, 2016, 1:08 AM

conference tourney championships, and 10 regular season championships...

they have advanced to the round of 32 in 8 of those 15 appearances...

I respectfully disagree.

Re: Since 1980, VCU has been to the NCAAT 15 times, have 9

Mar 14, 2016, 5:55 AM

I have to agree with you about vcu. I'm no basketball junkey but I've been hearing about vcu for quite sometime. They are pretty much a regular in the ncaa's and have won lots of games there.

I'm not denying that they are a successful program.

Mar 14, 2016, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Since 1980, VCU has been to the NCAAT 15 times, have 9 ]

But that doesn't make it a better coaching job than Clemson. I'm basing it more on level of competition and exposure of the program than I am NCAA appearances.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

to add to that.. former VCU head coaches include

Mar 14, 2016, 1:18 AM [ in reply to I disagree that VCU is a better job than Clemson. ]

Jeff Capel, who got hired at OU

Anthony Grant, who went to Alabama

Shaka Smart, who went to Texas

VCU is far from an unkown

Re: yes... he is paid less than Brownell...

Mar 14, 2016, 9:17 AM [ in reply to yes... he is paid less than Brownell... ]

None of that has to do with the contract.

A simple "I was full of ####" would have sufficed.

If you want to argue that VCU is a better job then that is a different conversation. You however gave a smug reply about the contract being an issue when in fact NOTHING in his current contract is an issue.

FWIW I agree with VCU being a better job right now.

Here is Will Wades Contract

Mar 13, 2016, 9:07 PM [ in reply to you should take a look at the particulars of Will Wade's ]

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_78f0fa80-ef40-11e4-9b7f-ab12564d7782.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2016, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Tigers miss out on NIT bid ]

Will needs to stay where his at. Too nice of a young man to have his young career destroyed here.

Mar 14, 2016, 1:37 PM

SMFH

Mar 14, 2016, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Tigers miss out on NIT bid ]

nice first post.

take out the chicken trash mods.

Mar 13, 2016, 8:57 PM

But.. But... Brownell needs to stay!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2016, 8:58 PM

About time for Brownell to go. There's no excuse for the lack of results given the potential on this team. Without Blossomgame next year we are going to have a serious dearth of talent.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:11 PM

Am I missing something? Did Blossomgame declare? I mean maybe he will, but he has another year.

No and he should stay

Mar 13, 2016, 9:14 PM

His stock will elevate if this team can make the NCAA tourny next year and give him exposure. He also needs to improve his shooting a bit, but I can't blame him for leaving early.

Mar 13, 2016, 8:59 PM

Dagger...he's missed 4 out of 6 post season opportunities. Time to go.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:00 PM

Unless something changes, next year has to be BBs final year. Not being one of the top ONE HUNDRED teams in the country is a joke.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:03 PM

I feel sorry for Blossingame with his talent on our team.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:50 PM

Yup. Next year could be special..... If he returns. This team came so close..... But they had no excuse for losing to Ga Tech

Mar 13, 2016, 11:21 PM

GT, yeah, agreed. What about losing 4 of last 5? Is there a good excuse for that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Tigers miss out on NIT bid ]

Yep. Blossomgame is awesome and deserved to play in the big Dance

Thank Gawt !

Mar 13, 2016, 9:04 PM

we need to fix some fundamental "issues" first before stepping foot on a court again

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a slap at the ACC

Mar 13, 2016, 9:06 PM

a team over .500 in the ACC does not only miss the NCAA (over .500 used to be a guarantee) - but also miss the NIT. Regardless of who is coaching or anything else - ACC has 2 number 1 seeds and yet Clemson gets passed over this way. I say BITE me to the NIT.

Wake up

Mar 13, 2016, 9:18 PM

We were horrendous before ACC play and were 17-14 overall. While that put us on the bubble for the NIT, we didn't earn our way into it.

Mar 13, 2016, 9:09 PM

Did they deserve it? Probably not. But it would have been nice to have more playing time together. Hope springs eternal. Get 'em Next year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell needs to go, but not because we missed the NIT.***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:17 PM

Mar 13, 2016, 9:26 PM

Who cares, it's over and done for this year and we will be having this conversation this time next year.

THIS***

Mar 13, 2016, 11:16 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Merciful***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:27 PM

nm

I will be cheering the basketball team again next year

Mar 13, 2016, 9:37 PM

I do believe our recruiting is getting better. I think we will get out of basketball what we invest in it. I know it isn't my place to choose how to make basketball better but I know that having committed fans comes before the success.

Here in Clemmons, NC the writers here pick Clemson last in the ACC in basketball every year. They never mention it if we are better nor if the NC teams get beat by us they barely mention it. If we aren't passionate about being good at basketball and supportive, nobody will be.

The other ACC teams hate us in football but totally disrespect our basketball program. Clemson is the absolutely the best school period but nobody who plays basketball believes it. The same kids loving our football program could be coming for basketball.If a basketball recruit comes to Clemson it's usually for a football game because if he comes to a basketball game the stands are only 50-60 percent filled.

We are going to need talent, facilities, coaching, dedicated fans and dedicated players to take that big step in basketball. We need to pay the coaches who get us there well so we can maintain that consistency. We are more than capable of being the very best basketball school period. Clemson is an easy sell if everyone is working together.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

lol good for u....cheer***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:46 PM

???***

Mar 13, 2016, 11:17 PM [ in reply to I will be cheering the basketball team again next year ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

shocker.....not...they want winners***

Mar 13, 2016, 9:45 PM

Hire Rick Barnes. The kids and the cheerleaders graduated !***

Mar 13, 2016, 10:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last week I was called Coot & hater for

Mar 14, 2016, 8:14 AM

Saying Brownells time was up! 6 years. 2 NCAA appearances on OPP's recruits. Zero NCAA wins. Still o'fer in Chapel Hill. I was also called delusional when I said we would miss the NIT yet again this year! I hate being right in this case! We need a coach that can A)Win in Chapel Hill B)Make the NCAA tournament yearly C)Make a deep run into said tournament. D)Graduates student athletes. E)Makes, and wins the NIT on "off" years F)Bring a Final Four Banner to LittleJohn. That is a huge list with a steep curve. But, if you're not going to be the best: why even try?! D Rad needs to get on the phone, or charter a jet or two and search out the next superstar head coach in college basketball & bring them to Clemson!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Last week I was called Coot & hater for

Mar 14, 2016, 8:55 AM

Brownell has only taken Clemson to the ncaa's 1 time and he has won a game.

Littlejohn renovations can be the start..

Mar 14, 2016, 9:49 AM

of a new era in Clemson basketball, but that must exclude Brad Brownell. Six years without any significant road wins has shown his inability to recruit and coach at a level needed to win the ACC and advance in the NCAAT. I hope DRad and a few deep pocket IPTAY donors sees this opportunity and give BB his walking papers.

To be 10-8 in conference . .

Mar 14, 2016, 11:26 AM

and be subbed is a kick in the balls.I know we had a rough start and a rough ending to the season. I blame that squarely on BB. And finishing strong is important, we did not. But how can you be 10-8 in the conference that gave two #1 seeds, and finished higher than other NCAA bound teams and not be at least in the NIT ? That is a obvious F-U to Clemson.

it's not as big of a kick in the balls as having 24 wins

Mar 14, 2016, 1:40 PM

finishing 3rd in a power conference

and getting snubbed

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic