Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: K.J. McDaniels not getting minutes for Rockets
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

BKB Update: K.J. McDaniels not getting minutes for Rockets

Mar 23, 2015, 7:53 AM

K.J. McDaniels not getting minutes for Rockets

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BKB Update: K.J. McDaniels not getting minutes for Rockets

Mar 23, 2015, 7:58 AM

Just take your paycheck and smile. You'll get paid next year.

Does his mom know this?

Mar 23, 2015, 8:21 AM

You know she's not happy.

Shoulda stayed in school

Mar 23, 2015, 9:17 AM

Hang in there KJ!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope this isn't serious.***

Mar 23, 2015, 9:22 AM

We'd have won at least five more games had he stayed.***

Mar 23, 2015, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Shoulda stayed in school ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt we would have been better off, but I wouldn't

Mar 23, 2015, 9:55 AM

say the same for KJ. I honestly don't believe his draft stock would be a lot different this year than it was last year had he stayed. He's certainly not a lottery type player.

His audition in Philly went really well to the point where there was some pretty serious interest in him and his 1-year deal was a really smart move. I don't know why Houston is burying him on the bench, but i still think the market will be good for him at the end of the season and he will get a pretty decent 2nd contract.

Without question, I would still say things worked out well for him leaving last year.

I have to disagree...

Mar 23, 2015, 3:56 PM

Especially regarding his draft stock.

KJ was relatively unknown outside of Clemson after his 2nd year, and would up as all-acc and conference player of the year despite being under the radar for most of his 3rd season. As a senior, he would have been undoubtedly the best defensive player in the conference again, and would have had more time to hone his jump shot a little more.

The extra practice time, combined with the attention that comes from returning as an all conference performer (and not to mention even more highlight reel dunks and blocks) would have gotten him a lot more publicity than he had before.

Plus, we would have been a major contender in the conference as well as a tournament team, which would have given him even more attention from scouts. I think it's hard to deny that he would have been a top-20 pick this year if he had stayed.

On top of that, he would have been picked up by a team that was investing in him specifically as an asset, rather than having to rot on the bench in Houston. Better situation for KJ with a bigger contract

Not saying I'm 100% right, but I think it's hard to argue against any of that...

Nope, this isn't true. KJ would never beat out a guy like

Mar 23, 2015, 7:50 PM

Okafor for ACC POY even if he stayed for 6 years. The scouts knew KJ. The notion that these guys can fly under the radar in 2015 is crazy. There are tons and tons of pro scouts these days and you can bet they knew plenty about KJ going into the draft. Everyone was in love with his athleticism and his ability to protect the weak side of the rim, but there were season question marks about his shooting and ball handling skills and how that would translate in the NBA where he would have to play more on the perimeter due to his size.

Did you even read my post?

Mar 24, 2015, 8:13 AM

I never said he would win ACC player of the year.

You also reiterated my point about staying another year in school to hone his jump shot and ball handling skills.

Bottom line is, if KJ had staued, he'd be a top 25-20 pick on a team with more use for him

Everyone would have been better off if he stayed another year.*

Mar 23, 2015, 9:32 AM

I hope he does well and makes it somewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone would have been better off if he stayed another year.*

Mar 23, 2015, 11:26 AM

By everyone, you mean Clemson and Brad Brownell.

Not KJ. He did the right thing for him. This story is much to do about nothing. He will get paid and be on a team next year, no doubt. He proved his worth in Philly.

Unless he ended up getting hurt

Mar 23, 2015, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Everyone would have been better off if he stayed another year.* ]

He's made a good salary this year and done enough to guarantee himself a multi-year deal somewhere after this season. Any playing time he gets this year moving forward will only increase the dollar amount tied to that multi-year deal.

Mar 23, 2015, 10:23 AM

For me it is strange that a team would trade a second year player and a second round pick for a player that they have little or no use for. Shenanigans going on here, shenanigans I say bc something in the pudding ain't clean.

the Rockets like KJ

Mar 23, 2015, 12:01 PM

he just still has a lot to learn and with the team in the midst of a playoff run, letting a rookie learn off his mistakes isn't something they can afford. right now learning in practice and through the veterans of the team is the way to go. The trade allowed the Rockets to get him as a restricted free in the off season and expect them to match any offer he gets and get plenty of PT in the future.

If I read this correctly

Mar 23, 2015, 6:43 PM

I wonder if they are also limiting his minutes, not only to have him learn in practice, but to limit the opportunities for other teams to see his development, and maybe get him cheaper.

Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 PM

The Rockets are going for the playoffs and Hardy is going for League MVP. I guess this is not the time to put KJ in. This is pretty much the opposite of his situation with the 76ers. I was hoping to see him on TV when Rockets played the Hawks, but don't think he played. The Rockets must have future plans for KJ-they know what they're doing, right?

There is the offchance the Rockets are a contender

Mar 24, 2015, 8:50 AM

with a 12 man roster and KJ just simply isn't good enough to see the floor when looking over the other players he is competing against for pt. Maybe that will change in the eyes of Houston coaches.....patience everyone. Patience.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic