Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: Clemson included in latest NIT projection
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 3,628

BKB Update: Clemson included in latest NIT projection

Mar 9, 2017, 11:20 AM

Clemson included in latest NIT projection

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BKB Update: Clemson included in latest NIT projection

Mar 9, 2017, 11:24 AM

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 9, 2017, 11:25 AM

GT, Clemson, Auburn all with new or rebuilt as new arenas in the NIT. NC St not mentioned but a fairly new prostyle arena didnt make it. I dont think its just the fancy facilities folks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know it takes a few years to see the full impact of new facilities.

Mar 9, 2017, 11:49 PM

We weren't immediately good after building the WEZ for football, but you could see its impact on recruiting shortly thereafter. We are seeing better talent already in basketball too: we have Brownell's best recruiting class coming in this year, with three 4-star players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

UCF don't want none of this!

Mar 9, 2017, 11:31 AM

We gotta take it one game at a time. Gonna avenge our semi-final loss when KJ was here. The NIT is ours baby!????

Who cares***

Mar 9, 2017, 11:33 AM

Re: Who cares

Mar 9, 2017, 12:06 PM

basically no one

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who cares

Mar 9, 2017, 12:17 PM

I care 74...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who cares***

Mar 9, 2017, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Who cares*** ]

Who cares? Apathy describes Clemson basketball.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:26 PM

Mediocrity breeds apathy. NIT = Birmingham Bowl.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:35 PM

I care ...... A LOT

But I'm a CLEMSON supporter who spent The four best years of his life as a CLEMSON student.

Funny...

Mar 9, 2017, 12:52 PM

I spent 6 wonderful years there as well and I am just as much of a Clemson Tiger as you are but think it's hypocracy to laugh at the idiot coot's trip to the Birmingham Bowl while making the NIT out to be a great thing!

Yeah they did care, but we didn't make the tournament.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Who cares*** ]

The season is essentially over.

Mar 9, 2017, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Who cares*** ]

It's a great way for the younger guys to get tournament experience, build team chemistry and hopefully finish the season with some confidence. That's enough reasons to care.

I do....

Mar 9, 2017, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Who cares*** ]

tough guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody wants to play us right now...***

Mar 9, 2017, 11:38 AM

Re: Nobody wants to play us right now...***

Mar 9, 2017, 11:43 AM

That's funny.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Nobody wants to play us right now...*** ]

Lol, good one

Jan 25, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Nobody wants to play us right now...*** ]

Is that you Jack???;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2017, 11:44 AM

We'd get a crack at 7-6 Taco Fall. I wouldn't mind seeing that but that's mainly the only reason.

Mar 9, 2017, 11:48 AM

Will Papa Johns still honor the 50% of pizza after wins? That's the only advantage I see here.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2017, 12:24 PM

Let's get this season over with. Football spring practice is on and baseball is back. Basketball is dead.

Mar 9, 2018, 4:03 PM

SMH you are a joke of a fan. At this point I am convinced you are nothing more than a Chicken troll.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:34 PM

No troll! Just tired of putting up with Tiger fans accepting mediocrity in a major program! Remember Tommy Bowden? How long did we put up with his crap? He could not even win the Atlantic Division. That's the cash cow football. How about Jack Leggett? We kept putting up with his excuses. Now it's Brownell. It's about wins and losses and making the big dance. That's the measuring stick of sports. Brownell has failed that test. Making the NIT is the equivalent of making a minor bowl game at 6-6.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:37 PM

What was your name before this one little troll?

Still waiting on you to name that "Big name hire" that will come to Clemson.

Still waiting on you to tell me how comparing recruiting in basketball at Clemson to recruiting in Football are remotely comparable.

Im sick and tired of ###### little people like yourself that only pop up when things are bad.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:49 PM

Football is king at Clemson no doubt. We are national champs for a reason. We recruit well because Dabo knows how to sell. Clemson and FSU own ACC football like Duke and UNC own ACC basketball. I don't expect Clemson basketball to become UNC but I expect more than we got this year. This team badly underachieved this year under Brownell. These were his players and they were veterans. That's what the fans are feeling. At least OP gave us a identity and made the tournament. Ellis had better runs than Brownell. I believe we are a sleeping giant in basketball under the right coach.

Mar 9, 2017, 12:53 PM

Didn't just NC State just fire a coach who went to the NCAAs 4 times? Why are we so different?

Mar 10, 2017, 6:33 AM

Yes they did and I am willing to bet there was some off-court issues that lead to his firing, which is not publically being disclosed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2017, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Clemson included in latest NIT projection ]

How are we different?

Night and friggin ### day different.

Their basketball team won a National Championship. Long time ago and just one... exactly like Clemson Fotball until this year.

Clemson Basketball has less stature and tradition and success in basketball than NC State Football has in football.

The schools can be "similar" but the programs are Night and Day different.

Clemson basketball is to ACC basketball like Wake Forest Football is to ACC Football,

Simmer on that for a bit to let it marinate. Clemson is able to be better and it will take time ad patience. Things Joe Public rarely demonstrates.

Mar 9, 2017, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Clemson included in latest NIT projection ]

I support the players who obviously are playing hard despite some ungrateful Clemson fans. Let's support them if they make the NIT. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2017, 6:31 AM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Clemson included in latest NIT projection ]

Bowden won the Atlantic and then lost to GT in the Championship, which GT was stripped of that title, due to playing ineligible players.

A Clemson Fan would know that.

Hel*Yeah!! This is so awesome. Made my day!!*****

Mar 9, 2017, 12:42 PM

Re: Hel*Yeah!! This is so awesome. Made my day!!*****

Mar 9, 2017, 1:22 PM

I think BB has more conference wins than any coach we have had. I believe I heard the announcers say that during the Duke game. He may be one short but he will get in next year. lol

I hope we make the tournament next year. I realize...

Mar 9, 2017, 2:57 PM

we are losing 3 solid players, but I think we still will have a chance next year. All we had to do is win maybe one more game this year and we were in. Our team could even be a touch worse next year and still make the tournament. We lost so many close ones. We were better than our record imo.

Re: Hel*Yeah!! This is so awesome. Made my day!!*****

Mar 9, 2017, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Hel*Yeah!! This is so awesome. Made my day!!***** ]

Which is one of the reasons to let him go. We have had coaches here that have had some success...Cliff ellis, Rick barnes...but for some reason, ADS will not pay money to gain, or in Barnes case, keep coaches. We dig into the realm of mid majors, or the latest HOT coaching lead, only to find that they cannot make it in the ACC. what really gets me friggin mad is that We have never won the ACC tourney, yet every other original ACC team has...even an old ACC team that I cannot bring myself to mention has won the friggin tourney

Is that how you feel? Let's look at our last 10 coaches:

Mar 9, 2017, 8:15 PM

1946-1956 Banks McFadden: 85-131 (.394) overall, 46-95 (.326) in conference play
1956-1962 Press Maravich: 55-96 (.364) overall, 25-59 (.298) in conference play
1962-1970 Bobby Roberts: 82-116 (.414) overall, 41-71 (.366) in conference play
1970-1975 Tates Locke: 62-70 (.455) overall, 20-42 (.323) in conference play
1975-1984 Bill Foster: 156-106 (.595) overall, 44-74 (.373) in conference play
1984-1994 Cliff Ellis: 177-128 (.580) overall, 56-90 (.384) in conference play
1994-1998 Rick Barnes: 74-48 (.607) overall, 28-36 (.438) in conference play
1998-2003 Larry Shyatt: 70-84 (.455) overall, 20-60 (.250) in conference play
2003-2010 Oliver Purnell: 138-88 (.611) overall, 52-60 (.464) in conference play
2010-present Brad Brownell: 124-102 (.549) overall, 56-66 (.459) in conference play

Brad's overall winning percentage at Clemson is comparable to those of Foster, Ellis, Barnes, and Purnell. I would argue that our non-conference schedule now is much tougher than it was under Foster, Ellis, or Barnes. Brad's ACC winning percentage is better than all of them except for Purnell, who holds a 0.005 advantage. The ACC of today is larger than it has ever been, and some of those additions are outstanding and some have been mediocre. Top to bottom, the ACC is as strong now as it has ever been.

It is also worth noting that our failure to keep coaches is not always about being unwilling to pay them. Ellis was fired because his teams were too inconsistent, and because he was in trouble with the NCAA. We ultimately had to vacate our wins from the 1990 NCAA Tournament (the Sweet Sixteen team that lost to UConn) due to violations. That taints his tenure, for sure.

On that note, Tates Locke cheated and got us in trouble. Foster owes a lot of his success to players illegally recruited by Locke. That cheating taints the careers of both Locke and Foster, to a degree.

Purnell did not get into trouble with the NCAA, but he did leave on poor terms. He did not leave because we failed to pay him enough. In fact, Terry Don Phillips stated at the time that he would have loved to talk to Purnell about a raise to try to match DePaul's offer, but Purnell did not give him the opportunity. For whatever reason - money, wanting to move, or if he truly was having an affair - he wanted to leave Clemson. I don't fault our AD one bit for that.

Barnes also won the right way at Clemson, but he also seemed determined to leave. I don't recall it being about Clemson not paying him well enough, but rather the chance to coach at a school like Texas. He, like Purnell, seemed to have his mind made up.

When you look at Brownell's tenure in context of Clemson's basketball history, rather than just compared to what Purnell did, he isn't doing poorly at all. He needs to win more, but hopefully the administration's (seemingly) legitimate support of basketball will help.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Is that how you feel? Let's look at our last 10 coaches:

Mar 9, 2017, 10:06 PM

Nice presentation but I don't think most people here have an appreciation for the history of Clemson basketball. I have another to add. BB has had winning seasons in 6 of his 7 seasons. No coach other than Barnes can match his percentage of winning seasons during his tenure. A case can be made for his dismissal but I was impressed that the kids didn't quit on him under some tough circumstances. I don't see a real advantage to dismissing him and jeopardizing potentially his best recruiting class.

Re: Is that how you feel? Let's look at our last 10 coaches:

Mar 10, 2017, 6:43 AM

As far as the winning % in the ACC: the other coaches (OP is the exception, as his teams also did not play every team twice like Brownell 's teams, but not quite the luxury Brownell has had) had to play each team more than once a year in the regular season and the new teams have not been as good as they were before entering the conference, for the most part. The ACC was definitely tougher for the other coaches in quality opponents on a night to night basis. I was a bit shocked when we added the likes of U of L, Pitt, Syracuse and ND then sent less teams to the NCAA Tournament.

Got to compare Apples to Apples here

Mar 10, 2017, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Is that how you feel? Let's look at our last 10 coaches: ]

let's face it, Brad has faced a very different ACC than the absolute gauntlet that Ellis, Barnes, and Shyatt were facing. More games, more programs in the league that are beatable, etc, have helped Brownell post a decent ACC record.

For me, I look at programs like UVA, Miami, FSU, VT, and even Notre Dame as ones Clemson can and should be able to match. Only VT has not won the ACC in that group in the last five years and they are clearly on the rise with Buzz Williams at the helm.

It is true that Clemson is a historical joke in hoops, but don't pump the money into the building and expect fans to pony up for tickets if that is going to be the standard and the message.

Rick didn't leave because of money, he only got a $70k

Mar 10, 2017, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Hel*Yeah!! This is so awesome. Made my day!!***** ]

bump to go to UT..We could have easily matched that, just like we did the year before when Ohio State came calling for his services.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rick didn't leave because of money, he only got a $70k

Mar 10, 2017, 7:17 AM

Barnes and OP had an issue with their pants...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are tournament bound!

Mar 10, 2017, 5:59 AM

We have more NIT invites than UNC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 3,628
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic