Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

BKB Update: Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks

Mar 23, 2015, 6:56 PM

Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A paucity of words.***

Mar 23, 2015, 7:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More defections.

Mar 23, 2015, 7:29 PM

How are we going to rebuild this program with so many players leaving?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

You do realize that Clemson doesn't lose any more transfers

Mar 23, 2015, 7:35 PM

than the average division 1 program, don't you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Given our lack of overall talent and the difficulty our

Mar 23, 2015, 7:44 PM

coaching staff has in replacing the transferring players, especially in the current recruiting class, it's hard to argue that we are not adversely affected by the transfers that we have every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Given our lack of overall talent and the difficulty our

Mar 23, 2015, 7:51 PM

If Rooks was the player coming out of high school, he would likely be staying. The hip injury has changed everything. It may well be he isn't capable, physically, of playing at the D1 level...and especially in the ACC. It's a reflection on no one, other than reality. All the best to Patrick!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed!

Mar 24, 2015, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Given our lack of overall talent and the difficulty our ]

We could have used Sapp and Flier this year.

Not doubting you but I'd have to see some numbers

Mar 24, 2015, 4:52 AM [ in reply to You do realize that Clemson doesn't lose any more transfers ]

to back that up. I find it hard to believe there are alot of schools that have had 8 or 9 transfers in 5 years

Re: Not doubting you but I'd have to see some numbers

Mar 24, 2015, 7:40 AM

I'd have to agree. Our transfer average is probably at the high end of the spectrum

VaTech had 5 just last year

Mar 24, 2015, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Not doubting you but I'd have to see some numbers ]

40% of the players who play college hoops wind up transferring. We're about average actually

Re: More defections.

Mar 23, 2015, 9:08 PM [ in reply to More defections. ]

With the ones coming in that want to be at Clemson and are willing to out work everybody because he really loves Clemson and really wants to be a starter. With the ones that don't quit when the though ones show they want it more. With the ones that are coming in not just bc it would be easy to get lots of playing time. That's what we are looking for to build our program!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FLIP A COIN

Mar 23, 2015, 8:20 PM

HEADS: If the player was as talented as projected, he would have been playing a lot since he came in as a "dynamic" 3-point shooter. Unfortunately, a hip injury severely alters your mobility & muscle memory. A good shooter gets it from his legs more than his arms---just like a good pitcher in baseball.

TAILS: If his stats were as awesome as advertised in HS, then perhaps it was because he went to a private church school and didn't play against too many guys in the 6'4" range guarding him. That rim is a whole lot further & higher when you've got to rise up over someone bigger than you.

It just sucks that we keep losing guys who are dissatisfied with PT and/or Brownell. I tend to think we are signing guys who are meatloaf from S&W Cafeteria instead of prime rib from even Ryan's! Maybe one day we'll be able to move up in the food chain to Longhorn or Outback, but that's about it.

Re: FLIP A COIN

Mar 23, 2015, 8:34 PM

No fine dining?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2015, 8:34 PM [ in reply to FLIP A COIN ]

Or you know it could be that the kid had an awful injury and has never fully recovered.

null

Mar 24, 2015, 9:30 AM

PLEASE 117, DO NOT QUESTION THE GREAT AND POWERFUL COACHMAC. OBVIOUSLY YOU DO NOT SEE THE WORD COACH IN HIS HANDLE. THANK GOD NONE OF MY KIDS OR RELATIVES WILL BE ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE HE COACHES HOWEVER.

Mar 23, 2015, 9:53 PM [ in reply to FLIP A COIN ]

Ryan's?....

Who eats @ Ryan's anymore?....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to make better restaurant choices.***

Mar 24, 2015, 7:49 AM [ in reply to FLIP A COIN ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2015, 9:24 AM [ in reply to FLIP A COIN ]

coachmac if we only had you coaching then we'd when the world. You did win it all coaching middle school right?

Mar 24, 2015, 9:32 AM

I have heard his middle school girls teams were a thing of legend.

null

DANG....3 of the biggest A-HOLES on T-Net in one thread

Mar 24, 2015, 8:39 PM [ in reply to FLIP A COIN ]

Circle up the jerk wagon and pull hard boys.

Re: BKB Update: Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks

Mar 23, 2015, 8:54 PM

Best of luck to Pat. Who knows what could have been if not for the injury.

The writing has been on the wall though. DeVoe was getting his minutes and is a year younger and not damaged goods, thicker, and plays better defense.

Mar 23, 2015, 9:12 PM

Devoe was getting the minutes he out worked Rooks to get. Devoe wanted to play more than Rooks, and that is why he was getting the minutes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why insult Rooks?

Mar 23, 2015, 9:17 PM

It wasn't a question of "want" it was a question of physical ability. You make it sound like Rooks was lazy. In reality, you should be impressed that he managed to come back at all. That took more hard work than most kids offer.

Mar 23, 2015, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks ]

well that is the most ignorant thing i have heard today. rooks i am quite sure would love to play 40 minutes a game but his health just will not allow it. please try and say things that make sense.

Rooks was injured---this isn't about out working someone***

Mar 24, 2015, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The guy is recovering from a broken hip for crying out loud

Mar 24, 2015, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: BKB Update: Brownell on transfer of Patrick Rooks ]

I"m sure that's an injury that sticks with you for life

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2015, 9:42 PM

Best Wishes to Patrick wherever he ends up.

Before we bemoan all of these transfers, lets look back on where they went and how they did. I'll use names when I can remember them but not taking the time to look them up.

Lost two of Purnell's recruits when Brad came here. One to Auburn and one to Old Dominion. Neither made an impact at their new school.

Devin Coleman - averaged 3.8 pts. at Temple this year.

Bernard ? - a forward that transferred to Charlotte. don't know what's going on there. He's on the roster but if he made a stat sheet this year, I missed it. may be injured.

T. J. Sapp - the one transfer that might have had some impact, averaging 12.4 for Murray State.

Djambo - has one year left when he becomes eligible at Hofstra.

Filer - two years left when he becomes eligible at Florida Atlantic or International, those two schools always confuse me.

I don't see any real impact players in that bunch like Anthony Gill turned out to be for Virginia when he left South Carolina.

Amazing how losing transfers because of improving talent

Mar 23, 2015, 10:52 PM

are viewed differently for basketball than football.

Football: "Our talent is improving, so guys are transferring out because they are being replaced by younge and better players. We too deep!"

Basketball: "Brownell is a bad evaluator of talent, doesn't recruit well, and can't coach them up to be capable ACC players. We have a huge problem."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Well Brownell has signed 8 top 100 players the last 4 years

Mar 23, 2015, 11:05 PM

and 5 of those have transferred. So is talent really improving?

Our two best players this year were a soph and freshman.

Mar 23, 2015, 11:36 PM

Blossomgame was a 4 star, as was Grantham. Grantham chose us over Michigan, among others. For 2015, we have 4 star Ty Hudson who chose us over Oklahoma State and others. We also have Legend Robertin who is a 3 star seven footer who chose us over Pitt and others.

It is obvious that recruiting is improving. Brownell has overcome a huge gap from when Purnell left, losing a top assistant almost every offseason, and having freak injuries to talented recruits (Blossomgame's compound leg fracture, Coleman's torn Achilles, Rooks's broken hip, etc.). All of this while developing relationships in a new part of the country.

For all of the flack BB takes for being a "bad recruiter," I think he is doing a nice job. It's only going to get better.

While that's great, but I think the point is

Mar 23, 2015, 11:49 PM

he's losing more than 50% of the top talent he is recruiting and that's a concern. Yes he is bringing them in, but why are these top guys leaving at such a high rate? Yes guys transfer but not at the rate our higher rated recruits are. I think it is fair to question why this is happening?

But he isn't losing the top talent he is recruiting.

Mar 23, 2015, 11:52 PM

He is keeping the good ones, and they are making valuable contributions. The ones who are leaving have either had freak injuries which derailed their careers (Coleman, Rooks) or they were beaten out by better, younger players.

Look around college basketball. Clemson has not had more transfers than average.

Re: While that's great, but I think the point is

Mar 25, 2015, 4:11 PM [ in reply to While that's great, but I think the point is ]

That is simply false.

null

Re: Well Brownell has signed 8 top 100 players the last 4 years

Mar 25, 2015, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Well Brownell has signed 8 top 100 players the last 4 years ]

link?

Re: Well Brownell has signed 8 top 100 players the last 4 years

Mar 25, 2015, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Well Brownell has signed 8 top 100 players the last 4 years ]

Well Brownell has signed 8 top 100 players the last 4 years

link?

null

Football is winning. Basketball is not. The football talent

Mar 23, 2015, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Amazing how losing transfers because of improving talent ]

is easy to see based on the results on the field. The basketball results do not suggest we're getting better talent.

This^^^^^^^***

Mar 24, 2015, 8:10 AM

More room for McDonald's All-Americans ... wait, wut?***

Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never heard of him***

Mar 29, 2015, 8:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic