Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BBQ
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

BBQ

Sep 18, 2013, 9:37 AM

Looking for a new bbq place to try in the raleigh-durham area on the way into the game. Anywhere good right off of I-85? Not tryifng to get far off track, cause I don't have a ton of time

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BBQ

Sep 18, 2013, 9:45 AM

On the way, Lexington BBQ is one of the best (see http://www.lexbbq.com/).

Checkout the NC BBQ Trail (see http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html).

I have not been to The Pit in Raleigh (see http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/), but I've heard good thinbg about it.

I know of a couple....

Sep 18, 2013, 9:45 AM

Old Time Barbeque is located on Hillsborough Street near the fairgrounds. If you can get past all of the "pig-themed" items that decorate the walls, the food is actually pretty darn good.

The Pit on Davie Street in downtown Raleigh is another place I'd recommend. Try the pumpkin skillet cornbread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

There will be plenty of BBQ dog after the game if that suits your palate.

Sep 18, 2013, 9:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These people are insane. Don't go to The Pit.

Sep 18, 2013, 10:18 AM

Unless you want some fancy, hoity-toity version of BBQ, don't patronize that place. The Pit is a "New American," frilly BBQ experience that makes you cringe a little bit if you ever grew up eating the good stuff from little shacks on the roadside.

Allen and Son BBQ outside of Chapel Hill is one of the better eastern-style BBQ places in the triangle. It's in the countryside north of Chapel Hill and is pretty easily accessible from I-40 (exits 263 and 266 would both work). Otherwise, hit up Lexington BBQ on the way (unless it's too far out of the way).

So The Pit it is! Thanks!***

Sep 18, 2013, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Sep 18, 2013, 10:24 AM

Not really a BBQ place per se, but you've GOT to go to the Angus Barn. They do have BBQ on the menu.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Sep 18, 2013, 9:09 PM

Thats my frequent, not really a pregame meal though haa

Sep 18, 2013, 10:48 AM

Having worked in RTP for several years, I'd recommend 2 places that are somewhat on the way:

Backyard BBQ Pit (It has had several different names, but I think that's what it is now) - Hwy 55 about 3/4 - 1 mile south of I-40. Hole in the wall place on the right going south from 85. Despite name changes, food has always been good.

Smokey's BBQ shack - Hwy 54 about 2-2.5 miles south of I-40. Food has always been excellent.

I don't think either is open all day (only during lunch hours), but confirm that if you want to try them.

The Pit serves excellent food, but is a nicer more modern (full bar with several beers on tap, somewhat pricey) restaurant rather than a traditional "BBQ pit". Not surprising if some BBQ snobs and traditionalists dislike it due to the atmosphere. Despite that, the food is excellent.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic