»
Topic: Critics who say Offense is NOT more important then defense are
Replies: 89   Last Post: Mar 7, 2015 8:52 AM by: OhWiseOne®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 89  

Critics who say Offense is NOT more important then defense are

[2]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:08 PM
 

Quiz Time !

A) Never played competitive basketball in their life and don't know ...

B) Were not a very good basketball player themselves and therefore Defense is more important to them because that is what THEY (hint, hint) were good at when they played

C) Are not very good at Math, being that the goal is to score more points then the other team and that concept is "hard"

D) B and C


Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®


2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Critics of those who say Offense in NOT more important ....


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:16 PM
 

shoot, none of these 4 options make me feel good about myself. :(

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: Critics of those who say Offense in NOT more important ....


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:17 PM
 



badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Tell that to 29-1 UVA

[4]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:19 PM
 

But I'm sure they're not good at basketball.

You want some math? If you play perfect defense and hold your opponent to 0 points, its mathematically impossible for them to score more than you. At no point can perfect offense ensure the worst case scenario is a win or a tie because the other team can always score more assuming perfect offense from them as well. Mathematically speaking defense is a superior way to go to ensure not losing.

Focusing on offense is a valid way to win a national championship. UNC did it in 2005 and 2009

Focusing on defense is a valid way to win a national championship. Kentucky did it in 2012, Louisville in 2013

Valuing offense vs defense is completely a coaches preference and I challenge you to show me any empirical evidence to support the assertion that one is more valuable than the other.

2019 student level member

Aye ! Tis True .... BUT !


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:32 PM
 

Knowing UVa Basketball, they spend the majority of the time on the "O", teaching defense is "easier" ... all these guys can play "D", its making them "WANT" to do it.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Yeah...no. UVA spends most of their time working on defense

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:53 PM
 

The pack line is a lot more sophisticated than you'd ever know if you didn't sit down and pay attention. I can promise you UVA spends more time working on defense than offense. Their offense is pretty basic, they just run it very very well. Their defense is a lot more complicated.

Their defense, rotations, help, shifts, etc etc etc... its not easy stuff to learn. You're demonstrating a lack of basketball knowledge by saying that it is.

Besides, just because its supposedly "easier" (which its not) doesn't make it less important.

2019 student level member

Yep, they do basic Offense really, really well


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:17 PM
 

Not many X and O's, just take it to the hoop, look for the open man, box out ... follow your shot ... its not Rocket Science

I see their pretty good at bringing the ball in when the press is on, surely a sign of spending most of their time on the "D"

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Yep, they do basic Offense really, really well


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:20 PM
 

So now you are saying they run a basic Offense.

Make up your mind guy. You have already admitted that you in fact have no clue what happens at a Clemson practice in the past.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Yeah that's not at all how UVA plays offense


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 7:28 AM
 

They run a blocker mover.

That's not just:

A) take it to the hoop --> wrong, they move the ball around multiple screens on both the high post and baseline attempting to get the D out of position to get a good shot. Rarely do you see them just "take it to the hoop". Sometimes they'll run rub screens in a "give and pop" type situation where a 3 point shooter will pass the ball off, run off his defender on a screen and get it back quickly for a good look at a 3.

b) Look for the open man --> well yeah every team does this. But its a matter of getting the open man in the right position to make a play

c) box out --> okay, again, every team does this

d) follow your shot --> UVA doesn't do this. They send at most 2 to the offensive glass. There's a reason that if you take out the Duke game they've allowed like 30 transition points in 30 games. They send 3 people back on the shot. Decidedly not "following your shot"

My cousin is a student manager for UVA. I can assure you they spend more time practicing defense. There's a reason they're on pace for the most historically great defensive season (in terms of efficiency) of all time. Its because they work hard on the defensive end during games, and during practice.

2019 student level member

Re: Aye ! Tis True .... BUT !

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:56 PM
 

"Knowing UVa Basketball, they spend the majority of the time on the "O""

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Have you ever been to a UVA practice?

Have you ever been to a Clemson practice?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Yes, been to a UVa Practice***


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:18 PM
 



2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Aye ! Tis True .... BUT !


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:40 PM
 

Gosh, is there any evidence that the Clemson basketball team practices?


Re: Aye ! Tis True .... BUT !


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:11 PM
 

I am gonna go out on limb and say this guy gets paid once a month


Re: Tell that to 29-1 UVA


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 8:22 PM
 

A perfect offense with a perfect defense is the way to go in any sport, and you surely better have a good D and a good O to win championships!!!

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Virginia's far from bad at offense...


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 5:19 PM
 

According to Ken Pomeroy, they're 30th in adjusted offensive efficiency.

The other two teams you mentioned were actually elite offensively as well (Kentucky was 2nd in adjusted offensive efficiency in 2012 and Louisville was 4th in 2013).

The thing you can't do is be 217th in adjusted offensive effeciency, like we are, and expect to be successful.


I have both played and coached competitive basketball

[4]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 4:37 PM
 

Defense is absolutely more important than offense IN MY OPINION, but that doesn't make offense unimportant.

If you're a good defensive team, you're going to play good defense night in and night out, unless your guys don't give the effort. The good offensive teams are going to have an off night every once in a while, and if they don't play good defense, they will lose. Teams like UVA who play great defense can afford to have an off night shooting (See Syracuse game) and still win because they play great defense.

No, you cannot be as inept on offense as we have been at times this season. Then again, what would our record be if we didn't play good defense?

It's all about finding just the right amount of offense, playing shut down defense and having good fundamentals.

I'd prefer to build a team with a mentality that no one is going to score on them and go from there.

2019 student level member


Re: Critics of those who say Offense in NOT more important ....


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:01 PM
 

Defense wins. Good basketball wins. Athletes don't win unless they know how to play. Duke and Butler final are exhibits 1 a and 1 b of skill over talent. Neither of those teams top 20 athletically.


Re: Critics of those who say Offense in NOT more important ....


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:08 PM
 

And you are the lone dissenter of the addage "defense wins championships"

2019 student level member

Yes, I believe scoring more points then the other team ...


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:22 PM
 

on a consistent basis, wins Championships (or least get a chance to go to the NCAA's, or beat Winthrop)

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Yes, I believe scoring more points then the other team ...


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:03 PM
 

You seem to act like having a great defense aka not allowing the other team to score has jack #### to do with the outcome of the game... You are not very basketball smart plain and simple.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


I'm thinking you never played much. Good defense

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:19 PM
 

leads to easy points and, thus, generates offense.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg


Re: I'm thinking you never played much. Good defense


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:22 PM
 

Guy is a moron who acts like he has any clue as to what actually happens during a Clemson practice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Yep.


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:26 PM
 

If a team never has to run a set play because they're playing great defense, creating turnovers and having a glorified layup line the entire game, that makes things a whole lot easier.

2019 student level member


Exactly- Big guys should play D, block shots & rebound then

[2]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:48 PM
 

kick the ball out to guards for easy fast breaks.

If no breaks available, guards should wait until the big guys come down court in order to rebound any long jumpers the guards jack up.

At least that is how I remember playing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Ha!***


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 9:29 PM
 



2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg


We have a good "D", I don't see many "e-z points"

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 12:59 AM
 

> leads to easy points and, thus, generates offense.

Using your logic, we have one of the better "D's in the league", thus we should get many E-Z points .... THAT is my point !, we don't make what should be the E-Z shots. In fact, its downright pitiful. We need to spend MUCH more time on fundamentals, drive to the hoop, look for the open man, block out, AND I AM HUGE ON FOLLOWING THE SHOT. I see a lad hoisting the ball towards the rim, and standing there praying it goes in .... FOLLOW THE SHOT, it was true back in the day, it is true today.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Ok, ok ... we agree to disagree ... was OP a defense genius


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:25 PM
 

? I really don't know, only started watching Clemson BBall 5 years a go ... I heard Clemson went to the NCAA's a lot when he was coaching ...

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

OP was very good at taking athletes and using them for what


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 5:33 PM
 

he wanted to do.

OP teams often got into trouble when playing teams with good fundamentals (passing and dribbling especially) who were able to beat those athletes with team basketball. Once teams forced us into half-court sets and kept us from running, we were an absolute disaster.

2019 student level member


Re: Ok, ok ... we agree to disagree ... was OP a defense genius


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:05 PM
 

You admitting to not knowing ### you are talking about is the first smart thing you have said congrats...

OP was a defense first coach as well. He pressed all game which led to turnovers and easy baskets. Our half court offense was abysmal under him and if you could break the press our half court D wasnt that great either. He lived and died by the press.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


H'mmmmm, he went to the NIT 3x, NCAA 3x in 7 years ,,,

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:10 PM
 

I agree, he was terrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Purnell

Not doing good at DePaul though ... THAT, is strange

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Where did anybody say he was terrible?***


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:14 PM
 




People on this board are always cutting him down ...

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:19 PM
 

leaving the team a mess

leaving in the middle of the night

lousy at the half court game

but using metrics, and our logic, if he went to the NIT 3x, NCAA 3x IN SEVEN YEARS ... logic sez he was pretty dang good ... was it over money ? We should have paid him more

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

There's a reason we went one and done every year in the

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:39 PM
 

NCAAs.

2019 student level member


At least we had the chance to be "one and done" ...

[2]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:42 PM
 

now, its like crickets chirping

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Yeah, I loved getting a mid to high seed

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:47 PM
 

and then getting embarrassed by lower seeds who knew how to kill our press and force us to run our terrible half court sets.

2019 student level member


By the third year in a row, I was definitely over it too***


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 11:05 PM
 




Yes it's best not to go to the NCAA's after all ....


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 12:47 AM
 

Might lose, might get embarrassed. Best to just call it a day and wait for Football ........

Are We Not Men ?

ans: We Are Devo

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Watch that Mizzu game again if you miss it so much***


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 11:02 PM
 




It certainly wasn't an accident, we were getting beat worse


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 11:02 PM
 

every year...We went from blowing a HUGE lead to losing in a hard fought game to getting run out of the gym...That is not progress


Re: People on this board are always cutting him down ...

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 7:21 PM
 

Him leaving the team a mess in the middle of the ngiht like the coward he was had jack #### to do with his coaching ability.

Now where in my post did I say he was terrible. Please learn how to read.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


But he did have a terrible half court offense, he did run

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 10:59 PM
 

off in the middle of the night and he did leave us in a tough spot recruit-wise.His success here doesn't change that.


I bet he reads boxscores like a pro***

[1]
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 6:11 PM
 




LOL


Posted: Mar 5, 2015 9:18 PM
 

Your point C is hilarious.

I mean, I'm sure you realize that the equal end of the equation of scoring more points than the other team is to stop them from scoring as many points as you do.

I find you couching that in math hilariously misguided.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg


Lastly, Coach B Yells Too Much


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 1:05 AM
 

Watching the games, I hear him bellowing constantly through the game noise ... another factor why the Lads miss many a shot is all that yelling everytime they move makes them nervous, scared to do anything else the bellow. Watch the other coaches of the good teams, Duke, UVa, UNC .... sure they scream out once in a while, but not that constant nagging ....

Coach B needs to just sit and let them play, call the timeout to COACH when things get out of hand.

Good Night.


Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®


2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Really?


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:11 AM
 

clearly you have never played a sport competitively before if you have an issue with him yelling, especially basketball.

2019 student level member

Re: Lastly, Coach B Yells Too Much


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 7:53 AM
 

Holy crap it is called coaching....

You obviously know nothing about basketball and need to stop posting.

I noticed how you never responded to me above... I am just going to take that as you admitting you were wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Screaming at your players constantly is not Coaching ...


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 9:07 AM
 

WHERE did you get the idea that is good ? BBall is a skill sport, Football mostly is not ... The screaming at players DURING a game in a skill sport is NOT what good coaches do. Watch NBA, good College teams, good High School coaches ... they are not screaming at the players constantly

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Screaming at your players constantly is not Coaching ...


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 9:13 AM
 

"BBall is a skill sport, Football mostly is not"....


wow....
...
..
.






You have obviously never been around Coach K or Roy Williams. Listen to what Brad is saying. He is berating the players he is talking about spacing, screens, alerting them to what the other team is running etc. You really are showing a complete lack of knowledge for someone who started off this thread with such arrogance.

Hell you didnt even know what OP ran while at Clemson.

You thought he was an offensive coach when he was far far from that. He too was a defense first coach.

Edit: Also yelling =/= screaming. What Frank Martin does is screaming.


Message was edited by: clemtiger117®


badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Tis True ...


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:38 AM
 

Football is game that showcases great feats of strength and brawn ... mostly, QB= skill position, receivers =skill position, etc ... they even call it a "skill position" in Football Officially... por favor ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_position

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Also is Weight Lifting a "Sport" or an "excercise" ?


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:43 AM
 

I am in the school of thought that weight Lifting is NOT a sport ... its an EXCERCISE that you do to help you PERFORM better in an activity ... ie a true "Sport" or just for general health ... ie counter-acts the beer drinking that usually accompanies the increasingly rare Clemson Basketball victories

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Also is Weight Lifting a "Sport" or an "excercise" ?


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:55 AM
 

### does weightlifting have to do with anything said above....

Catching a pass is a skill.
Making people miss is a skill.
Getting off of blocks is a skill.
Properly blocking is a skill.
Making FGs is a skill.
Getting a spiral and hang time on a punt is a skill.


Have you ever played ANY sports?

You admitted to being young above and it is really showing in these comments. Also Coach K does yell out things during games. That is simply false that you think he doesnt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Yes, I was quite the athlete back in the day


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:10 AM
 

baseball (I sucked)
basketball (my fav, but slow(er) white guy that can't jump)
football (running back, got my butt kicked and my favorite day was the end of the season, so I could then heal)

Tennis ! = awesome forehand, quick as a cat jumping on can of spilled sardines

RUGBY !!! loved playing Rugby, played in College, inside-outside center

And today, its just hiking, biking ... more activities then a Sport .... never got into Golf, I find it rather boring ....

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Have you ever watched ratface coach a game?


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:27 AM
 

Not yelling? He's yelling at everyone constantly. Players, refs, the guy sitting three rows back, the dude selling cotton candy, the hobo sleeping on the bench outside.

2019 student level member

Re: Have you ever watched ratface coach a game?


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:44 AM
 

Yes, he yells at breaks ... when he calls them over, not DURING the game

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Have you ever watched ratface coach a game?


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:57 AM
 

False....

And all of this is coming after your OP claimed you were some sort of basketball genius. Amazing! #### you didnt even know what kind of coach OP was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


What I know about OP ...

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:01 AM
 

In 7 years
3x NIT
3x NCAA

IMPRESSIVE !

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

OP did SOME good things.

[2]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:06 AM
 

He certainly brought some excitement to Clemson fans.

OP also peaked and we were regressing every season. Stop talking about him like we'd be a final four team.

2019 student level member


Re: OP did SOME good things.

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:18 AM
 

We got better every year under Purnell until eventually in year 6 we were a perennial tournament team.

No reason to think the program would not have continued to be successful had he stayed. The tournament wins would have come.

I


We were regressing. It was obvious.

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:23 AM
 

I appreciate the good OP did but we weren't getting better.

2019 student level member


Re: We were regressing. It was obvious.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 1:38 PM
 

Lol. We won 20+ games each of the last 4 seasons and went to the dance each of the last 3 seasons OP was here.

If that's "regressing" what the #### do you call what we're doing now?


You should go watch OP's last game again.

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 1:41 PM
 

Maybe you'll understand.

2019 student level member


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:02 PM
 

You mean the game we lost as 7 seed in the NCAA tournament?

Yea that sucks. I'd much rather watch us struggle to get an NIT bid.


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:09 PM
 

### does that have to do with what he said?

Are you incapable of staying on topic and having a conversation with anyone? You and the OP have that in common.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:14 PM
 

He said we were regressing under OP. That's laughable.

I'm watching the 2011 NCAA game vs WVU as we speak.

That team was loaded. We might have made the final four if we would have kept OP around.

FYI that "bust" Devin Booker started the game.


Final Four? You win***


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:15 PM
 




Re: Final Four? You win***


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:17 PM
 

That's much more logical than these idiots that claim a program that might not even make the NIT is on the rise.


A coach infamous for his one and dones was going to win 4


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 1:02 AM
 

in a row?


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:21 PM
 

"That team was loaded. We might have made the final four if we would have kept OP around."


holy crap you are delusional.

Also I never called him a bust... He was not that highly ranked. He however was very inconsistent one game he would play like tarzan the next like jane.

Secondly who did he start over? Milton? Oh yeah the "5 star" bust. Thanks for helping me out there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:21 PM
 

Milton Jennings getting plenty of PT as well.

Those guys were obviously very talented coming out of HS.


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.

[2]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:24 PM
 

LOL you are really trying to argue that Milton Jennings was a legit 5 star....

Oh this is great. You continue to show you have no clue what you are talking about. Congrats.

Let me guess you also think Noel Johnson was a legit 4 star SCORER. He averaged under 5 ppg for his career.

Im still laughing about your final 4 comment. A coach that has never ever ever won an NCAA T game is going to make the final 4...



woo that is some good stuff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:29 PM
 

Almost as delusional as saying a program that hasn't been to the NCAA tournament in 5 years is on the rise.

It's obvious watching these tournament teams that OP knew how to recruit and develop players for his program. Can't say the same about Brownie.


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:34 PM
 

Lets go back to the point here that you are completely off topic of this thread. Something you seem to be really good at. Keep being in love with a coach that hasnt ever won an NCAA game and left Clemson in the middle of the night without having the balls to tell his players. They found out form the media. That is pathetic.

Also the program is on the rise from the mess that it was left in.

Anyone with any basketball sense could see that.

You think that OP could have had a great season if Trevor Booker would have left early? If he skips his senior year do you think there would have been a drop off?

Here are the facts of the matter...

If you look at Clemson historically in Basketball you dont win here unless you have upperclassmen leading a team. The recipe for success has been the same under Barnes and OP. Recruit good players dont expect much from them early and have them contribute late. Trevor Booker is the only guy I remember under OP that was an instant impact player his Fresh year.

Brownell had that for ONE year.

This year was supposed to be a year like that until KJ left. In his place we had to start a Freshmen. Grantham as talented as he is he is not KJ (Not yet).

Anyone who looked at this team from a non bias point of view expected this to be an NIT team as soon as KJ left.

Next year if we dont make the tournament it will be a bad year. It will be an upperclassmen lead team. Blossomgame and Grantham will have a year of developement along with NNoko, Djitte, Roper, and Smith. If we get anything better than what we had from Hall at PG it will be a much improved squad. The incoming transfer and the 4 star PG should provide a boost at the position.


Sorry you dont understand sports. If you did then you would realize that the team is on the rise from the mess it was left with nearly 2 empty classes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:43 PM
 

Recruiting is Brownell's job.

Please stop saying he was left with nothing. That's a lie.

Booker wasn't the only quality player on those tournament teams either.

You want to see what regression looks like? Watch this 2011 tournament game vs WVU and then watch our last game.


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 5:54 PM
 

"Lie"

You dont seem to know what that word means.

Sorry you are proving time and time again you dont understand the game...

I will say once more though this thread isnt about that. This thread is abuot your little proclaiming that defense first coaches cant win.

Sadly he and probably yourself did not know Op was a Defense first coach. I would think you would konw that since you are obsessed with the man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 7:55 PM
 

Ah there it is, the classic "you don't agree with me so you don't know shit" response.

My first post in this thread was in response to a poster that claimed we had peaked under Purnell and that we were actually regressing.

That couldn't be farther from the truth and actually contradicts the biggest excuse for Brownell that claims it takes years to build a program. I agree it does if you start from scratch like OP did and guess what? In year 5 we won 24 games, made it to the ACC championship and the NCAA tournament.

Fast forward to year 5 under Brownell. We might not even make the NIT.

Brownell inherited a perennial 20 win tournament team and turned us in to a program that goes to the NIT every year.


THOSE ARE FACTS!


Its hard to ague against "math" and "facts" ....


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 8:27 PM
 

but people will

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Its hard to ague against "math" and "facts" ....

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 8:39 PM
 

You mean like facts that OP was a defense first coach and that refutes your whole idiotic OP.

Great job avoiding that fact over and over again

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 8:30 AM
 

> Ah there it is, the classic "you don't agree with me
> so you don't know shit" response.
>
> My first post in this thread was in response to a
> poster that claimed we had peaked under Purnell and
> that we were actually regressing.
>
> That couldn't be farther from the truth and actually
> contradicts the biggest excuse for Brownell that
> claims it takes years to build a program. I agree it
> does if you start from scratch like OP did and guess
> what? In year 5 we won 24 games, made it to the ACC
> championship and the NCAA tournament.
>
> Fast forward to year 5 under Brownell. We might not
> even make the NIT.
>
> Brownell inherited a perennial 20 win tournament team
> and turned us in to a program that goes to the NIT
> every year.
>
>
> THOSE ARE FACTS!

Lol. Ok. You just keep living in OP world with his lollipop in your mouth.

The rest of us know better.


If Trevor leaves early, we don't go to the Tourney OP's


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 1:04 AM
 

last year


Re: You should go watch OP's last game again.


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 8:23 AM
 

Xzavier Anderson was a WALK ON, and was better than Rod Hall is now.


Re: What I know about OP ...***

[1]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:08 AM
 

Congrats that does not change anything about what I have said....

He was a defense coach first which in your OP you said was an awful idea.

Hope that Helps have a nice day try and follow along. You are not nearly as knowledgeable as you think you are.


Message was edited by: clemtiger117®


badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


I AM VINDICATED !!! Please read ....

[2]
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 11:42 AM
 

I will not gloat in my wisdom, please send me 24 packs of the Orange Bud Light cans I see in the local Drug Stores as symbol of apology, I am not local...

Please read ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/03/05/college-scoring-struggles-may-start-on-recruiting-trail/

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

In what way does this prove offense is more important than


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 1:21 PM
 

defense?

2019 student level member


I find this thread growing tedious and surreal


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:18 PM
 

HEY ! T. Boyd is getting a shot with THE Pittsburgh Steelers !!!!

Now it is time to dance

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEVvFO_PlUx00AFhMlnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0b2ZrZmU3BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwMl8x?p=sprockets+snl+interview+skit&tnr=21&vid=B39BBBAD26579C7AE8E5B39BBBAD26579C7AE8E5&l=28&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608046848526189958%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11r673q83&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQHZR9SA5pOg&sigr=11b23oi1a&tt=b&tit=Sprockets+Dance&sigt=10fvuttmf&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dsprockets%2Bsnl%2Binterview%2Bskit%26hsimp%3Dyhs-004%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=138hjrdkj&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: I find this thread growing tedious and surreal


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:22 PM
 

please learn how to post links it screwed the whole board up when you do #### like that.

When I am proven to be arrogant and wrong I change the subject also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


I am right ...


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:54 PM
 

The OhWiseOne Mantra for Success ...
- we drive to the hoop
- we look for an open man on the drive who may have a better shot, else we proceed with our effort and perhaps get fouled and then shoot foul shots (important to practice foul shots !)
- We box out
- We FOLLOW our shot cause we may get another chance !
- We practice our short little jumpers, a golf analogy "drive for show, putt for dough" ... its the short little easy shots that bring glory, thus we should be good at them

We have a GOOD defense .... doesn't have to be the best in the league, but "good enough". After all, you can have the best "D" in the world ... but yet you fail in the above "Mantra For Success" and cannot put the ball in the basket when given the opportunity ?

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: I AM VINDICATED !!! Please read ....


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 2:09 PM
 

So you think OP was a bad coach?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

null


Re: Critics of those who say Offense in NOT more important ....


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 8:28 AM
 

> then defense are either
>
> A) Never played competitive basketball in their life
> and don't know ...
>
> B) Were not a very good basketball player themselves
> and therefore Defense is more important to them
> because that is what THEY (hint, hint) were good at
> when they played
>
> C) Are not very good at Math, being that the goal is
> to score more points then the other team and that
> concept is "hard"
>
> D) B and C

Obvious troll. No one is this stupid.


Must not have watched Connecticut win the NC a......


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 8:47 AM
 

couple of years ago. While many thought it was an ugly game, I thought it was terrific, as the Huskies put on an exceptional defensive show. Growing up, I always told my son that if you could handle the ball and play defense, you could play basketball at any level. Of course he refused to play defense - loved the three pointers - and was only a mediocre ball handler - short basketball career - great kid!


Comment not meant for you Exiled2, but OP!********


Posted: Mar 7, 2015 8:48 AM
 




Replies: 89  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Boston College
FOR SALE: 2 electronic tickets for the Boston College game in section I, row AA, seats 5 and 7 for $120 each. ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
4154 people have read this post