Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Awesome PFF video on TL - cool metrics used
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,088

Awesome PFF video on TL - cool metrics used

Nov 28, 2018, 2:10 PM

PFF put out a video today on Trevor Lawrence and how he changed the Clemson passing game this season. They go into pretty cool metrics. Overall, they rate TL as the best true freshman QB since they began rating freshman QBs in 2014, and it’s not even close. PFF graded TL at 90.1 (on a scale of 100) so far this season, which is almost 10 points more than second place Josh Rosen’s freshman season in 2015. Here is the breakdown of true freshman season grades since 2014:

1. Trevor Lawrence - 90.1
2. Josh Rosen - 81.8
3. Jake Fromm - 79.8
4. Jake Browning - 79.5
5. Justin Herbert - 77.2

They adjust TL’s completion percentage for drops, spikes, and throw aways to get to an adjusted completion percentage of 77.1%! They also said he’s only thrown 3 passes all year that were “turnover worthy,” which they said is unheard of for a true freshman. He has 4 interceptions, so I’m guessing they aren’t counting the one when his own linemen popped his head up last second and deflected his pass to a defender.

They said TL is in a completely different ballpark compared to other standout true freshmen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_RdzXrPaNtg&t=1s

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome PFF video on TL - cool metrics used

Nov 28, 2018, 4:12 PM

That's great, but is this the same group that rated Kelly Bryant as the best downfield passer in the ACC last year? The one that Walt always quotes even though he has no idea what the criteria was?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome PFF video on TL - cool metrics used

Nov 28, 2018, 4:14 PM

I have no idea, but they compare TL to KB’s downfield passing (passes traveling 10+ yards in the air) and said KB was woefully lacking while TL has had the best season since Deshaun 2015 (better than Deshaun 2016) in terms of ‘big time throws.”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,088
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic