Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburn and South Carolina Spring game notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Auburn and South Carolina Spring game notes

May 12, 2017, 5:01 PM

http://rubbingtherock.com/2017/05/12/spring-game-notes-south-carolina-and-auburn-will-be-ready-for-clemson/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn worries me...South Carolina, assuredly no

May 12, 2017, 5:39 PM

Auburn could be a Top-10 or even a Top-5 team this year. They lucked out huge getting Stidham from Baylor and when you add an elite QB to what was already one of the more potent running attacks (and running schemes) in college football you have the potential to have a very good offense. I think they'll have a hard time protecting Stidham since their OL couldn't even slow our defensive front down last year but Stidham is legit. If you're looking for a dark horse to challenge Bama and win the SEC West, Auburn's assuredly that team.

Clemson will need to score some points against Auburn, and while they did lose Mont Adams and Carl Lawson and haven't recruited quite as well as Clemson on the DL they still have a very good defensive front. Which means that one of our QB's is going to need to take a major step forward against Auburn. We have the WR's to do some damage but consistency is going to be tough. They will want to get after us.

We're going to need some answers. I think we have the talent to beat Auburn but it's going to have to develop quickly; at this particular moment I personally would put Auburn slightly ahead of us. They have established answers pretty much everywhere; we're still looking in a few spots, particularly at QB.

South Carolina on the other hand will need a minor miracle to keep it close. They just aren't adequate, personnel-wise. They're particularly terrible up front on both sides of the ball with the exception of All-American OG Zach Bailey; the rest of that group is pretty terrible.

Re: Auburn worries me...South Carolina, assuredly no

May 13, 2017, 4:40 AM

Right now Auburn is the game we're most likely to lose. FSU and Louisville will be tough, but I think Ville doesn't have enough D and our O will be hitting a stride by FSU.

Against Auburn, our D will have to play lights out against probably the best offense we'll face all year. Stidham is a better QB than Jalen Hurts and the rest of their O is only one step down from Bama's. Malzahn will be coaching like his seat's on fire and he knows a win against the defending champs will buy him time and momentum. We will get their kitchen sink and they'll score at least 24 points.

On the other side Kevin Steele was fired up to stop our O last year and we struggled mightily. Those were the tightest windows Deshaun had to throw into all season. Go back and watch the game. How many times did DW throw to a wide open receiver? We'll Need Tahj Boyd level play from one of our new QBs and Feaster/Fuller will need to give us at least 150 rushing yards.

A positive turnover margin is essential for a win. DW was like a cheat code that let us overcome a negative turnover margin. Those days are gone. We will need all the magic the Valley can give us to win this one.

Re: Auburn and South Carolina Spring game notes

May 12, 2017, 5:52 PM

Coots worry me NONE. Auburn worries me NONE. The only thing that can beat us against Auburn is our own offense, but I think they will do enough for a win. This isn't a big 12 defense. They will tee it up against Stidham.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2017, 6:00 PM

AU's second team DB's were pure garbage so I wouldn't get too excited about their new QB lighting it up.

Not worried at all about the coots. Our defense might outscore the coot offense.

May 12, 2017, 6:16 PM

The problem was, I watched Stidham flinging it at Baylor.

Yes, yes, Big-12 defenses stink. He completed 16 of 20 against second-teamers in Auburn's Spring Game. The problem is, you're whistling past a graveyard if you think Stidham isn't legit, or if you're not worried about him. Other teams occasionally get great players too and I think Stidham will be one. The guy looked like he had a better arm than Seth Russell - as a true freshman. And Russell was breaking NCAA records...well, at least before he broke his neck. Say what you want about Art Briles' atrocities against the female gender, but those Baylor boys could seriously fling the rock and Stidham was probably the best of them.

Our D is going to have to get to him early and often, but Stidham is not limited athletically or in terms of arm talent like Sean White was. We may affect Stidham - but he'll get some yards and make some plays because he's just too durn good not to.

Our O will have to show up to beat Auburn. Period. And I don't know if 19 points wins it for us this year.

May 12, 2017, 7:14 PM

We played conservative early last year and our WR's were lazy as hell. Everyone on offense should be trying to prove themselves this year on offense so we'll see more urgency. We can't glide through the season on talent next year so our boys will fight.

OSU was supposed to be pretty good last year and our defense shut them out when trying for it. IMO they try to shine next year. Wilkins and Dex will make the middle a no mans zone. If our DE's step up like most are expecting it will be a good show.

May 13, 2017, 5:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Auburn and South Carolina Spring game notes ]

He is good but will he be with our D line in his face every play? I believe our O can score atleast 31. We have the play calling to do it. If KB starts I do believe he can get it done. I see about 250 through the air and 100 on the ground.

That Bentley is

May 12, 2017, 6:12 PM

a model t. We will retire him again this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$CU had better be worried about NC State...

May 12, 2017, 7:29 PM

Bentley's stats in the spring game were once again entirely the result of playing against a lousy defense.

We've all seen how he does when he finally faces a defense with an actual pulse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: $CU had better be worried about NC State...

May 12, 2017, 8:24 PM

Their defense is worse than lousy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2017, 8:26 PM

Is Stidham ready for The Valley at night? I'm going with no...

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic