Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU Question:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

FSU Question:

Oct 27, 2019, 11:13 AM

Yesterday, they had 50,517 for Syracuse. Earlier this year, oodles of empty seats against Louisville, with 46,000. ULM had 53,000. For NC State, they had 60,000. This is a stadium that holds 80K when full.

Are the fans voting on Taggart with their feet? I'm not generally a fan of removing a coach in year two. But with sagging attendance, and being barely second-tier on the conference, not sure Taggart will survive in 2020. It sounds like the fans have given up on Taggart, and you either replace the fans or you replace the coach....easier to replace the coach....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU Question:

Oct 27, 2019, 12:30 PM

I think that's exactly what's happening. I think they'll give him one more year, but that's it. Unlike USC, they are a good enough program to attract a top-tier head coach, and it would be good for the ACC.

Oct 27, 2019, 12:36 PM

I agree. I think that FSU will give Taggert ome more season to show progress or he will be sent packing. I dont think that Taggert will be able to show the type of progress that would change the minds of the powers who be in FSU because I feel that their minds are already made up and they are just going through the motions as to not cause a stir when giving Willie his walking papers.

Will do just enough to make it through this year

Oct 27, 2019, 12:33 PM

But think the decision has already been made to move on. He’s got a huge buyout this year and as we’ve discussed on here before, firing your first black coach after only 2 seasons and after you said your previous coach left him a huge mess would be a terrible look. My guess is the ship as sailed long term but as long as they make a bowl this year, he won’t be getting fired.

So if Willy was a whitey he’d be fired already?

Oct 27, 2019, 6:38 PM

Got it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Lol get over yourself

Oct 27, 2019, 8:16 PM

If you honestly don’t think they would be handled differently in the public light then I’m sure it’s a lovely rock you’ve been living under.

Oct 27, 2019, 12:42 PM

I’m sure it has to do with lack of enthusiasm for Taggert but I’m also not sure that they pack their stadium all the time anyways. I went down to our game @ FSU a few years ago, highly ranked matchup, and they didn’t sell out the stadium then. Their equivalent of our West End Zone was bare.

Oct 27, 2019, 1:05 PM

I understand they don't always sell out. But this year, I think it's worse than I've ever seen it. Getting an announced crowd of 46 to 50K, with probable fewer than that actually showing up, is pretty bad.

Attendance is definitely down.

Oct 27, 2019, 5:35 PM

Season tickets are down about 15K from last year.

It will be a factor the AD and power structure use in determining how long Taggart gets. But, really not THE factor. If FSU starts winning attendance will pick up and Taggart will survive. If FSU has another year of 6-6, 5-7 or worse, then attendance will fall off and he will be fired.

But, he will be fired because of his record, not because of attendance.

Now, if FSU was losing but the attendance wasn't suffering, then he might get a little longer to try and right the ship, but that is not likely to happen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attendance is definitely down.

Oct 27, 2019, 6:29 PM

FSU does not have a QB on campus or on the way that will be transcendent. If Coach Taggart is fired now, there is the huge buy out and there is still a long wait. Clearly WillIe is not someone who can arrive and make chicken salad from the pile of chicken squat. Lots of people want to see Willie succeed. Very popular in Southwest Florida. But there are still too many friends and long time sycophants riding in the wagon now. FSU not only needs to recruit better, they need to start wanting different / better targets. And they have to have better coaching in every aspect. That means Willie has to make tough decisions to fire lots of assistants and employees in the program. Who is their Thad Turnipseed? Willie McCorvey? Jeff Davis? Is Jim “I lost my job because I choked out a player” Leavitt engaged and dialed in. Based upon how bad the FSU discipline looks and how many bad decisions get made there, I estimate at least 10 or 15 firings and new hirings need to be done in critical areas throughout the whole football program. Really need to do these before someone comes in as a new head coach and does it for him.

Re: Attendance is definitely down.

Oct 27, 2019, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Attendance is definitely down. ]

Understood that it's ultimately the record that determines whether Taggart sinks or swims.

I was just surprised at how low it had gone with the fans. I read somewhere that the 46K crowd they had for Louisville was the smallest since 1983 or something like that. Those kinds of numbers get peoples' attention.

FSU is a proud program with a great tradition. It would be good for the ACC if they got their act back together.

Oct 27, 2019, 8:31 PM

Another factor is future recruiting. There are a large number of up and coming programs in Florida who are luring some of the better talent. With the Gators on the rise their recruiting should improve. Miami? They still remain a question mark. If they should show a marked improvement before FSU gets their program turned around, the Hurricanes and Gators could put a significant dent in the Seminoles in-state recruiting.

I believe Clemson has positioned itself real well for getting commitments from the top talents in Florida. We have seen more and more players from Florida choosing Clemson over other national powers.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 5:24 PM

Looks like the drop in fan support was a big deal in the decision to fire Taggart.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28006975/fsu-athletic-director-david-coburn-says-there-was-no-advantage-waiting-fire-willie-taggart

"Asked how a cash-strapped athletic department could make the decision to pay out such a large number to move on from its head coach, Coburn discussed lagging season-ticket sales and booster contributions as being large factors.

"It was not an easy decision," Coburn said. "You have to look at season-ticket sales, renewals, new tickets moving forward. Obviously those are tied to booster contributions to the annual fund. You're looking at the implications for concessions, parking, you look at that vis-a-vis the cost of a buyout, cost of a new coaching staff, you have to make a decision."

The fanbase voted against Taggart with their feet, and the FSU PTB responded.

Nov 4, 2019, 5:37 PM

Money's always a big deal.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic