Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The formula for success for Clemson Basketball . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

The formula for success for Clemson Basketball . . .

Mar 9, 2020, 12:06 AM

Keep expectations depressingly low. You see, this year, going 15-15 and finishing 9th in conference, was a good year. Except it's not. Yes, injuries were a factor, and yes, our guys played hard and gave tremendous effort in spite of the challenges. I applaud them for that. But objectively, we have to have the courage and the common sense to realize that this was not a good year for our basketball program; it was a bad year, and we should not be afraid to say it. Anything else is delusional nonsense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Attack the basket more, set feet before shooting threes,

Mar 9, 2020, 1:32 AM

Keep Hemenway away from handling ball, and on weakest opponent on D. Play Curran Scott in place of Trapp, try playing 7 footer some along side Amir.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attack the basket more, set feet before shooting threes,

Mar 9, 2020, 7:44 AM

Re: Handling the ball. You might wish to include reducing Amir's need to handle the ball. He had 5 TOs on Friday PM vs. GT. This season's squad was not well-schooled in securing the basketball too many times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attack the basket more, set feet before shooting threes,

Mar 10, 2020, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Attack the basket more, set feet before shooting threes, ]

This^

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The formula for success for Clemson Basketball . . .

Mar 9, 2020, 7:49 AM

this has always been my strategy with women.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2020, 8:07 AM

heck, I lowered my standards and still can't get a date. May have to go even lower.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2020, 8:09 AM

I can get pretty much any single mother of 4 kids in Florida that I want.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2020, 8:23 AM

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and not holding my mouth right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: The formula for success for Clemson Basketball . . . ]

I gotta demand pigs. Now please.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2020, 7:49 AM

This year was certainly not a good year if you just look at the record.

But there are reasons out of anyone's control as to why we played so poorly at the beginning of the year. Sure Brownell could have recruited better, but there aren't many coaches out there that could have had as successful as a season with our roster.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Poor finish was very disappointing....***

Mar 9, 2020, 12:39 PM

Very successful year

Mar 9, 2020, 10:51 AM

That is your opinion which I don’t agree with.

We beat the top three teams in our league, finally broke the historic UNC demon and finished in the middle of the pack after most thought we would be lucky to finish with more than 6 wins.

I know you think we should win the ACC every year but most adults acknowledge that it doesn’t work that way in the real world.

You will be disappointed with Clemson basketball most every year of your life with your level of expectation but I do applaud your passion for being the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very successful year- overall succesful

Mar 9, 2020, 11:16 AM

inconsistency and fading down the stretch dampened the enthusiasm. Overall though winning nine games given our number of new players was a nice year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why didn't we have enough good, experienced players

Mar 9, 2020, 12:12 PM

returning, instead of having to rely upon a bunch of unknown, inexperienced newbs? That's not a valid excuse, that is part of the problem.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Show me where I said I expect us to win the ACC every year.

Mar 9, 2020, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Very successful year ]

You can't because I didn't. You are making stuff up and totally mischaracterizing my position. My expectations are this: Make the NCAA Tournament most years. It's that simple. That would mean, for Brownell, we should have beeen to the NCAA 6 times (instead of 2) in 10 years. I don't see anything far-fetched or unrealistic about that. As for this year in particular, why on earth would we ever expeect any basketball team to go 6-14 in conference? When expectations are that low for a coach in his 10th year, It's screaming "SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE!". If your expectations are that incredibly low, they will probably be met.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Show me where I said I expect us to win the ACC every year.

Mar 9, 2020, 3:49 PM

If you think getting to the NCAA 6 out of 10 years is rational, I don’t know why you don’t expect to win the ACC every other year. They are both as likely.

The ACC will (in general) get 6-7 teams in the Tourney. I just don’t see us getting in the top 6-7 consistently. You obviously do, which is just a point of difference between us. Tourney Basketball isn’t like getting to a bowl game in football, with the added challenge of many more teams playing basketball. The math just dictates we are not making the NCAA tourney consistently.

But go ahead, find a coach you like and let’s see how it goes. My bet is you’ll be retyping your post or we will have to go all SEC with our boosters.

And for the record, I like this team and they had a very good year. Next years team should be able to build on this year and hopefully make the NCAAs.

I’ll let you have the last word.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, the lower the expectations, the more likely they

Mar 10, 2020, 1:07 AM

will be met. Yes, I disagree with the notion that just because we have always been mediocre in basketball, we are destined to always be mediocre. It is my belief that if we continue to do things as we've always done them, we will get the same results. On the flip side, if we do things differently, we can get different results. I do believe we can change it; if not, what are we even doing? Why are we doing it? Are we really admitting, that as a program, this is it . . . that there is no point in raising the bar and trying to be better than we have traditionally been? I don't think so. I certainly hope not. Besides, both Barnes and OP got us to the NCAA 3 straight years. It can be done.

- H. L. Mencken

Do the people who always cite Rick and OP's runs realize

Mar 10, 2020, 12:40 PM

why they left in a hurry?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Again, the lower the expectations, the more likely they

Mar 10, 2020, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Again, the lower the expectations, the more likely they ]

I agree. Take the football team. Go years of just playing and not accomplishing much. Get Dabo and now we are at the top. It could happen in basketball. They is absolutely no reason we can’t be good. Look how many other teams in the ACC have won national championships. We could be as good as they are. Right now, we will NEVER get there and it has nothing to do with facilities. It is all coaching and recruiting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Show me where I said I expect us to win the ACC every year. ]

Why do you believe we cannot be a top 6 ACC basketball team consistently? I just don't understand.

Mar 10, 2020, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Show me where I said I expect us to win the ACC every year. ]

The ACC used to get 6-7 when it was a 9 team league. The ACC should get 8-10 teams a year but the Big East teams all pretty much crapped the bed when they came over. That we aren't capitalizing while the conference is down doesn't bode well. The team we'll return is as good today as they'll be at the start of next season and they couldn't defend home court against GT or beat a middling VT team in either of their final games. The ACC is down because across the board the conference is young. The whole narrative that we are poised for a run of good years is a fallacy. The rest of the conference is returning similar amounts of productivity. We do have a good by our standard recruiting class coming in - but its only ranks 8th in the ACC. We'll be treading water next year just like 80% of Brownell's years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have we EVER had a 10 year stretch where we made it to

Mar 9, 2020, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Show me where I said I expect us to win the ACC every year. ]

the Dance six times? Why you you think something we have NEVER done should be the expectation? Is THAT remotely reasonable?

I'll tell you what is not reasonable: To think that just

Mar 10, 2020, 1:11 AM

because we've never done it, we never can, or that we should not aim higher. Our past does not have to limit our future. There is no reason that we can't, as long as we don't do the things that kept us from getting there in the past.

- H. L. Mencken

Oh come on, you sound like a Gamecock talking about

Mar 10, 2020, 12:39 PM

winning the SEC in football...You're better than that...What exactly are these "things" (that we actually have control of) that have kept us from being successful in the past?

You tell me - you are the one using our past failures and

Mar 10, 2020, 4:02 PM

our sad history as reasons to keep expectations low now and going forward. Therefore, I assume you think there isn't much hope of being better, and that there are things intrinsic to Clemson that can't be overcome. You tell me what those things are and why they can't be overcome.

- H. L. Mencken

They are the same obstacles that Mouth Carolina faces in FB.***

Mar 11, 2020, 12:21 AM

Re: Have we EVER had a 10 year stretch where we made it to

Mar 10, 2020, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Have we EVER had a 10 year stretch where we made it to ]

We never won 10 games 10 years in a row in football but that is the expectation. We never made it to back to back natties but yet we have done that twice now in 5 years and it was expected of us to do so. Why can our football team have high expectations and then surpass them but yet our basketball team cannot??

Apples and Oranges comparison guy***

Mar 10, 2020, 3:08 PM

It's a great, appropriate comparison.

Mar 10, 2020, 4:06 PM

Just because it's never been done, doesn't mean it can't be. It doesn't mean that at all. That is faulty logic and lazy thinking. We have to ask ourselves why we haven't been able to do that in the past, and figure out a way to overcome it. If we don't believe that's possible, then why don't we just give up?

- H. L. Mencken

Would you say the allocation of resources is even remotely

Mar 11, 2020, 12:17 AM

close?

Poor start and poor finish kept it from being "very succes..***

Mar 9, 2020, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Very successful year ]

Right. LOL!***

Mar 9, 2020, 12:46 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Mar 9, 2020, 12:21 PM

Was a good year but not a very good year and not a great year. Some great things happened but also some bad things happened as well

Finishing 9th in conference and failing to make post

Mar 9, 2020, 12:28 PM

season was a good year? Come on! I think what you are saying is that it was a good year given expectations, which is exactly my point. Keep expectations low (the lower the better), and we can claim success every year, no matter what.

- H. L. Mencken

Finally some realism and truth about the

Mar 9, 2020, 12:46 PM

Clemson basketball program. How low are my expectations? If Clemson wins on Wednesday, I'll be happy regardless of whether the Tigers get an NIT bid. I will not be happy if Brownell is retained.

There you go AGAIN

Mar 10, 2020, 3:29 PM

making sense.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic