Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wake is Fake
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,564

Wake is Fake

Jul 12, 2018, 10:16 AM

This is an absolute joke!

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/06/27/clemson-2018-schedule-preview-upset-watch/734003002/

I get so tired of hearing how Wake is a threat or we’re on upset alert when we play them. Wake has to be one of the biggest myths in college football. WAKE is FAKE!

Since 2000 our record against Wake is 14-3
We’ve scored 593 pts (32.9 avg) vs their 310 pts (17.2 avg)
The avg score with Bowden was 23-12 (3 losses, 1 bad one at -28, the others were -4 & -5)
Dabo is 9-0 vs Wake with an avg of +23 pts
Only once has Wake been within one TD of CU and that was in 2011 (31-28)

Can we please stop the BS that Wake is a threat?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The answer to the question is pretty clearly BC i think***

Jul 12, 2018, 10:26 AM

It's a fair article

Jul 12, 2018, 10:27 AM

Here's the salient point of the article:

"In 2016, Pittsburgh upset Clemson the first weekend of November. If not for an inexplicable community collapse at the top of the polls, Clemson would have dropped out of contention. The Tigers proceeded to the national championship.
Last season, Syracuse manhandled the Tigers on both sides of the ball on Friday, Oct. 13. Ironically, that was lucky for Clemson, because it provided enough time for the Tigers to climb back into the Top 4 of the CFP standings. Syracuse did not win another game. Clemson proceeded to the Sugar Bowl semifinal."

After the past 2 years, I almost expect us to trip up once during the regular season. Who would've thought that Pitt and Syracuse stood a chance against us? Both of those teams played insanely well against us. And, we didn't play very well. It happens to teams all of the time and every season. Remember App. State taking down Michigan? It's what makes college football great. Every team has a chance.

That said... if I had to pick one of our ACC opponents to give us a challenge, I would say BC is the biggest threat. And, the article does list BC as 1 of 3 that could upset the Tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a fair article

Jul 12, 2018, 10:30 AM

I agree with BC. Boston in November? No thanks. That will likely be a brutal slugfest

Yep....

Jul 12, 2018, 10:31 AM [ in reply to It's a fair article ]

we had outscored Cuse 156 - 47 (average score of roughly 39-12) and won every game by double digits in the 4 prior meetings before losing to them last year. You never know with CFB.

Re: Yep....

Jul 12, 2018, 10:36 AM

I get it with the Pit & 'Cuse games, clearly hiccups but every dang year it seems you here how we better not overlook Wake or they will be tough to deal with...blah, blah. IMO they just aren't that good against us. I too cringe at the thought of playing at Chestnut Hill but you'll never sell me on Wake.

Re: Wake is Fake

Jul 12, 2018, 10:45 AM

While I would normally agree, they are a good solid team that most people across the country don't know a thing about. The game is on the road and sandwiched between a revenge game against Syracuse and what could be our biggest threat in the Atlantic in NC State. Clemson could easily overlook Wake, just like you have done here and we could make that game very close.

Do I think we win, of course but I can see why people might look to this game as one we could struggle with. I feel like BC could be a game like this too but I just don't see how they score enough with their offense to give us enough trouble 2 years in a row. Wake on the other hand could run something similar to Syracuse with short passing to give us some trouble.

I will never discourage these type of articles, they only

Jul 12, 2018, 11:10 AM

get the attention of our teams and coaches and only improve the focus of the team. If anything i'd like to hear more and more of this kind of talk on a regional/national level. The worst thing that can happen is have your attitude permeate through our team and then have a Syracuse/Pitt episode. Both of those teams were not close to being on our radar as a loss. I think there is something to the psyche of being on our toes before any game. Upset alerts seem to help us.

With that said. Wake and BC both are capable of pulling off the upset. No doubt we have a better team, coaches, intangibles than they do combined but that's on paper and in potential. Gotta be up and ready and if they are being told they are about to get beat by an inferior opponent then watch out.

Re: I will never discourage these type of articles, they only

Jul 12, 2018, 11:39 AM

Just IMHO...Wake and BC both know who they are: they are blue-collar, ball-control teams that strive to go slow, run the ball, own the LOS, and shorten games.

Where you get into trouble with those teams is when you fail to score, like we did with BC last year. You let them hang around and you look around and it's already the fourth quarter, and hey, it's somehow a 7-7 or 10-6 game...and of course, their coaching staff has a list of the plays they've run that day that actually worked and are holding them in their pocket, and they mount a last-few-minutes drive and try to steal one from you. It can definitely happen, if you have an off day.

Best way to not have that happen is to get it over with early. Put them down by three or four scores and these teams are in no way equipped to come back on you. We're usually so prolific the game is over by halftime or no later than midway through the third quarter.

Teams that have actually stood up to us, though, are the ones that are more prolific on offense, like Pitt was two years ago with Peterman and James Conner or Syracuse was last year with that wide-open Baylor spread.

So maybe NC State is that team this year? They did move the ball on us more than a bit last year, and they do return Ryan Finlay - that 6th-year QB of theirs - and his WR corps, though they did lose basically their entire defense, most of their (very formidable) offensive line, and their RB stable on top of that. Still, the Wolfies will be able to throw the ball, and Doeren wants to beat us so bad he'd break every laptop in Clemson to do it. We have an off-day there...well.

Avoiding that stumble is tough. Why you play the games.

State's defense got completely gutted though

Jul 12, 2018, 12:53 PM

I believe they lost all 4 DL, 2/3 LB, and 2/4 DBs, and they are also replacing the majority of their play makers. Outside of Finley they don't have much that worries me, and i don't think that program is in a position to just plug guys in. IIRC their average recruiting ranking over the last 4 years is just in the low 40s.

Jul 13, 2018, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: I will never discourage these type of articles, they only ]

Not to be all cliché, but any team can beat us that outperforms us.

If their O outperforms our D more than our O does theirs, we lose. Their name doesn't matter.

That's why we must put our best players on the field, both O and D. We cannot assume we will win 14-6 type games this year.

Jul 13, 2018, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I will never discourage these type of articles, they only ]

A&M and BC on the road should be your toughest games. I don't know what A&M is going to be like the first year under Jimbo Fisher, he has talent to work with but Sumlin ran a totally different type of offense than Jimbo does but on the other side Jimbo knows more about you guys than any other SEC coach out there so it could be closer than you would care for. Going undefeated with your schedule is going to be tough but you still have one of the best defenses in the country to lean on.

I seriously don't think that you have much to worry about with Wake but I didn't think Syracuse would have beaten you last year. I guess that's what makes football so great, any team can pull off an unexpected win when least expected.

At FSU is still going to be the toughest game IMO

Jul 13, 2018, 3:59 PM

You can almost forget what happened last year. Taggart is a good coach and there's still loads of talent at FSU. I really expect them to return to 9+ wins this year.

Re: At FSU is still going to be the toughest game IMO

Jul 13, 2018, 4:10 PM

You can almost forget what happened last year. Taggart is a good coach and there's still loads of talent at FSU. I really expect them to return to 9+ wins this year.

One things for certain Taggart inherited a lot more talent than he had at Syracuse. The question is does he have a QB?

Oregon***

Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 PM

Well we know it won't be Syracuse or Pittsuburgh

Jul 12, 2018, 12:14 PM

this year, so it might as well be Wake.

Re: Wake is Fake

Jul 12, 2018, 1:07 PM

The only team and coaches wil beat us is Clemson not up or prepared for a game. We can go easy this week and have a simple game plan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The struggle to remain relevant is real. The question is...

Jul 12, 2018, 1:15 PM

am I talking about Wake or the g news?

I can smell the poultry...

Jul 12, 2018, 9:12 PM

Through my screen. Must have been a senkiw article.

2017 was Wake's best season in quite some tine

Jul 13, 2018, 1:38 AM

Head to head records going back 17 years arent relevant. FSU used to have a similar record against us once upon a time - but that too is irrelevant.

Also, Wake was able to win at Syracuse last year.

If we can lose hosting Pitt or lose visiting Syracuse - then yes, Wake can be a threat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,564
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic