Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Assumed we'd round out class with more 4*
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Assumed we'd round out class with more 4*

Dec 19, 2018, 9:37 AM

Glad we finally had a big recruiting class, but assumed we would continue our high level of recruitment for spots 18-25. Instead, we filled in the difference with 3* recruits.

Why is that? Seems the staff aims for 10-15 high stars each class then try to round it out with upside and character? Just missed out on more 5* than typical this year?

* Average by year (per Rivals)

2019 3.58
2018 4.06 (had 6 five stars!)
2017 3.86
2016 3.59
2015 3.48
2014 3.32
2013 3.30
2012 3.45
2011 3.34
2010 3.21
2009 3.50
2008 3.40

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would rather have a 4* 5'8" DB ,

Dec 19, 2018, 9:41 AM

or a 3 star 6 ft ONe ? Check measurables on these kids.

Love stars, but it's easier to coach em up if you're not having to build em up

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would rather have a 4* 5'8" DB ,

Dec 19, 2018, 9:45 AM

Clemson coaches have made recruiting appear so easy the past few years. Adding an additional five 4* seemed like a finger snap.

#spoiledbysuccess

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the first step to resolution is acknowledgement...

Dec 19, 2018, 9:56 AM

"#spoiledbysuccess"

...and with that acknowledgement, you sir, can begin the journey back to realistic expectations and letting the staff maintain the winning ways on the field rather than the recruiting rankings...

Dec 19, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Would rather have a 4* 5'8" DB , ]

Yep, and I don't think we have found a way to stretch them out yet, but if a way if found to accomplish that, our staff will be the ones to do it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Would rather have a 4* 5'8" DB , ]

This post frustrates me and here's why..

The "stars" are created by the media as a way to rank these kids. The stars provide better stories for the media to make money on their sites. I don't look at the stars but I rather look at the offer list. Take Jalyn Phillips for example, he had all of the big time offers but he was only a three star kid. After taking a look at these kids offer lists then we can talk and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with this class.

Go Tigers!

Read Again, Pray for comprehension.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:58 AM

Re: Assumed we'd round out class with more 4*

Dec 19, 2018, 9:44 AM

Even more were 3 stars when they committed. Some have since been bumped to 4.

I'm hoping that some of these guys having only 3 stars is related to them being "late blooming" talent. If the depth chart is set and you have an extra year for a guy to develop then it's ok to take a project.

Hopefully our staff went with the higher upside instead of the better high school players. We will see.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:45 AM

I mean...really? We are crushing recruiting and people still complain.

Did you think maybe, just maybe, those highly rated 4 and 5 stars are also being recruited by other schools? There are only so many of them, and lots of coaches want them. Just because we have more scholarships to offer does not mean the pool of 4/5* grows, or that other schools stop recruiting them.

Besides that, our staff make their own assessments. Some guy in a cubicle at ESPN is not going to be the deciding factor on us going after Joe Blow 4* instead of John Doe 3*. If our coaches rate John over Joe, that's who we will offer.

And finally, you have to be of certain character to play here. We will completely ignore top level 5* recruits if they are not Clemson Men.

Dec 19, 2018, 9:48 AM

^^^^^^ This guy has been paying attention for the past decade. He gets it.

Dec 19, 2018, 1:59 PM

I love the geographical location from our recruits, I believe it is 14 different states, and if you are looking at star rankings, I think it shows exactly the way Dabo and staff recruit for blue chippers, with the high end 3 star athlete mixed in, they represent a team mentality, and of great character which helps brings out the best in character of the high end 4 star and 5 star recruits we get. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these 4 and 5 star kids are without character, I'm just saying you get a great bunch of football' stars together, with limited de-recruitment and limited problems, that normally come with these elite players. Clemson recruits different, just look at team rankings, we are around 5th overall with as many 3 stars as 4 stars , something like 12 recruits of 4 & 5 star and 12 recruits of 3 star.... Wow, It's a beautiful piece of work. Just sit back and enjoy, because the man said " The Best is yet to come".....

It may sound cliche to say "I trust Dabo and this staff",

Dec 19, 2018, 9:47 AM

But I do. They have the track record.

They understand exactly what they are looking for--comprehensively--and looks to me like they have found it yet again.

our coaches do a fantastic job of evaluations. Sometimes

Dec 19, 2018, 9:53 AM

the best players are the 3 star recruits. Rivals had him as a 5.7 3 star. I'll take one like him every year.

I think at this point we have to trust our coaches evaluations in recruiting. They have done an awesome job. I'm excited that we snagged a quality 3 star OL that can play every position on the line!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Travis Eteinne is who I was talking about there ^^***

Dec 19, 2018, 9:54 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Size matters...

Dec 19, 2018, 9:56 AM

when looking at the average star per class.

The top 2 classes (based on star power) were the previous two classes (2017 and 2018). We signed 18 and 17 players in those classes.

This year, if you look at only our top 18 players, the average star rank goes to 3.833 which is in line with those two class.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe the star system is more about a player's readiness

Dec 19, 2018, 10:04 AM

to play at the college level right away, not talent (with a heavy dose of politics too). There are tons of freak athletes who are "projects" who may be more athletic than other 4 and 5 star players but not ready to contribute right away and thus rated lower. We have seen what our staff can do coaching players up, which is the part that can be learned. All the best coaching in the world couldn't turn me into a star RB, so I say sign the best athletes.

Last year was unusually fortunate by any standard

Dec 19, 2018, 10:08 AM

Dec 19, 2018, 11:37 AM

we got exactly what we got, high ceiling, high character players who the coaches wanted... there are 22 starting positions on the field, most 5 stars are looking at the fastest way to the NFL, they have been told over and over and over how great they are... be happy with what we have, lets see how many are Josh Belks and how many are Hunter Renfrow's .... I think we got more Renfrows....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2018, 2:03 PM

Only folks complaining have been diagnosed with #### Glaucoma,. In layman’s terms it just means they have their heads so far up their butt they cannot see dookie.

What's lamer...Your joke or it's explanation?***

Dec 19, 2018, 2:07 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The staff does their own evaluations

Dec 19, 2018, 2:11 PM

And they do a great job. Ignore the hype of stars and trust the coaches.

Also, I noticed that the lowest ranked non-kicker we had, according to ESPN, had other offers from Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State. Do you really think he isn't a great prospect with those offers?

Dec 19, 2018, 2:11 PM

Really ? Really ?

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic