Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ask Farrell: Have Clemson's recruits been under-ranked?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,323

Ask Farrell: Have Clemson's recruits been under-ranked?

Oct 25, 2018, 1:14 PM

During his press conference this week previewing the Florida State matchup, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said he’s 1-9 against the Seminoles in the “recruiting rankings” and that number just seemed too hard to believe.

So I looked it up. And Swinney is right.

Starting with Swinney’s first recruiting class in 2009, Florida State has edged out Clemson in the ACC team recruiting rankings every single year except in 2018 – when the Tigers finished eighth nationally with six five-star commitments, including quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the No. 1 prospect in the Rivals100.

Florida State finished two spots behind Clemson at No. 10 nationally as defensive back Jaiden Woodbey was the lone five-star pledge in the Seminoles’ class.

Swinney is 5-5 on the field against the Seminoles during his coaching tenure.

In the current recruiting class, Clemson's class is ranked fourth nationally but without a five-star commitment. Florida State is sitting at No. 14 with five-star defensive back Akeem Dent committed. The Seminoles have a higher average star ranking (3.88) than the Tigers (3.5).

Over the last 10 seasons including this one, Clemson’s overall record is 104-27. Florida State is 96-32 over the same stretch.

We ask Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell to weigh in on whether Clemson’s signees have been under-ranked, whether Florida State’s have been over-ranked or if the rankings have been appropriate over the last decade?

FARRELL'S TAKE
"I can say, without a doubt, that Clemson recruiting has been off the charts in recent years and the Tigers are starting to get the respect they deserve. The program's out-of-state recruiting is excellent, they do a great job in-state and they can pull some surprises. Of all the teams in college football, Clemson has taken the biggest step forward of anyone on the national stage.

"As for Florida State, I don’t think the Seminoles' classes have been overrated but it’s more about Jimbo Fisher leaving and a whole new set of coaches coming in. Yes, some of the talent has under-performed but Florida State is always going to be near the top 10 in recruiting because of the state they recruit. Since the Bobby Bowden days, Florida State has been a staple near the top of the national rankings and always on top of the ACC it seems. That’s because of the great tradition of the program as well as the home-state edge the Seminoles have in talent.

"My final answer is this: I don’t think we’ve under-ranked Clemson or over-ranked Florida State during that span. Clemson has just done a better job developing players in the last few years."

https://n.rivals.com/news/ask-farrell-have-clemson-s-recruits-been-under-ranked-

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. We’ve just proven that recruiting rankings are overhyped.***

Oct 25, 2018, 1:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting rankings arent perfect...

Oct 25, 2018, 1:39 PM

but they are a very accurate indicator of who the best/most consistent teams are. I don't remember the stat but it was something to the effect of the every national champion in the recruiting rankings era finished in the top 10 in recruiting once every 3 or 4 years.

Sure, just because Team A finishes ranked in the top 5 consistently and Team B is always between 8-15 it doesn't mean Team A always wins. But your chance of winning a title (even conference title) is much better the higher you are in recruiting rankings.

Short answer

Oct 25, 2018, 1:23 PM

FSU signs better players but Clemson HAS better players.

Re: Ask Farrell: Have Clemson's recruits been under-ranked?

Oct 25, 2018, 1:25 PM

I thought there was a typo and they were asking Clelin. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 1:45 PM

Dabo in my assessment recruits coach-able talent and character. ESPN Rivals etc base stars purely on highlight reels and how many of their boys want that player. Many of the 5 stars are so ego driven they wouldn't fit well in Clemson's culture.

Oct 25, 2018, 3:24 PM

Remember, Vic Beasley was only a two star out of high school, and wasn't he drafted 7th in the first round in his class by the NFL? I think history records how many times Georgia is ranked above Clemson in recruiting? Practically every year that I can remember, and many times far ahead of us. Let's just face it, our players get far better coaching.

Oct 25, 2018, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Ask Farrell: Have Clemson's recruits been under-ranked? ]

I agree that Clemson chooses not just by talent but also by character which may very well be the reason we over perform.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 3:16 PM

Recruiting rankings are for previous results. A well-run program based on leadership and accountability trumps one that just trains football players. You'll get more "stars" out of the former.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,323
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic