Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As good as DaBO & Danny are with the funny lines..I believe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,895

As good as DaBO & Danny are with the funny lines..I believe

Mar 5, 2015, 6:56 PM

Coach Frank Howard would beat them both "hands down"..imo. Ole Frank had a quip or funny answer to every question a reporter could throw at him..and conjure up a laugh each time that made the newspaper sports quote of the day.

I interviewed him once as a school sports writer for The TiGER newspaper in 1965..and met him again in 1988..and both times he amazed me with his memory, knowledge, humor and hearing him call me (and everybody) BUDDY.

The last time we were together he told me the story of how the new 4-lane road from Greenville (in his opin) to CLEMSON was his doing. Enough said!

GoTiGERS..and thanks Coach Howard for being a well-rounded coach who loved CLEMSON enough to stay all those years til death..and then being buried up above DV so to hear Your BoYS Win!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As good as DaBO & Danny are with the funny lines..I believe

Mar 5, 2015, 7:39 PM

Thumbs up I'm dating myself but occasionally in the evenings I spoke to him several times on CB Radio as I was traveling up 385 toward greenville He never met a stranger and would speak to anyone that hailed him. 1970s

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2015, 7:41 PM

Miss Coach Howard. When I first started at the Greenville News as a cub reporter and made it (finally) into the Clemson press box for a game, he adopted me and I had to go get his chocolate milk. I didn't mind...lol

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2015, 8:09 PM

In the fall of 1976, I was a newlywed and recent Clemson graduate. I took a job as the hostess at the Holiday Inn restaurant, working the 2 'til close shift. We were living in married student housing and my husband was to graduate in December, so it didn't make sense to take a "real" job until we knew where we were headed after his graduation, so we scraped by on my hostess salary and his part time job for the one semester.

Many afternoons about 4 pm, Coach Howard and several highway patrolmen came into the restaurant, went to the waitress station and fixed their own cup of coffee. They sat at a table in the back and told stories and drank coffee. Coach Howard called me "Miss America" in his raspy voice and always had a kind word. I would go over and enjoy the stories for a bit, then leave them to their coffee. There was never a charge for the coffee. When they were finished, they cleaned up their own table, took their dishes back to the waitress station, and left me a $10 tip on the table. The first time they left the tip, I tried to give it back but Coach Howard wouldn't hear of it. "See you tomorrow, darlin'."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2015, 8:27 PM

I grew up in Pendleton and played football and baseball. Coach Howard would just show up at our gym for practice or whatever during the week unannounced and just hang out talking to anyone that wished to approach him. He always had a some "pearl of wisdom" or comment that was "Howardesq". He came to speak at our sports banquet numerous times during my time in high school and was a hoot. Always willing to talk to anyone and discuss anything. A "TRUE SOUTHERN GENTLEMAN". Which by the way we should get back on the field with TIGER.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nana, thanks for the story. Great gentleman as well as

Mar 5, 2015, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Re: As good as DaBO & Danny are with the funny lines..I believe ]

coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Years ago, after being tossed in the library reflection pool

Mar 5, 2015, 8:50 PM

after leading a pep rally, the first people I saw after exiting the pool were Coach Howard and Walter Cox.

I might have weighed 130 pounds, soaking wet, and upon seeing me, both burst out laughing with Howard commenting, "Boy, you skinny as a toothpick. Don't ever face a man sideways!"

Years later, I saw him again at DV, and he said, "You still skinny as a toothpick." And we both laughed.

Good people....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, The COACH said my GF looked like Dolly Parton & I said..

Mar 5, 2015, 11:46 PM

Coach Howard, have your eyes gone bad ...since he was referring to her chest..and he didn't miss a beat or seem to hear me and went on with what he wanted to say.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh, The COACH said my GF looked like Dolly Parton & I said..

Mar 6, 2015, 7:54 AM

I must be the young kid on the block. I was fortunate enough to watch Coach Frank Howard coach our team in his last years, but our teams were pretty bad. But, I still admired Coach Howard for all that he gave to CLEMSON. It was somewhat of an honor to watch him coaching. That was a long time ago though. We were lucky to share that time with him even though I never actually met the man.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,895
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic