Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
question for the religious folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

question for the religious folks

Jul 17, 2017, 8:41 PM

I recently heard from a relative that he was very ill, and need of a kidney transplant. This relative has had a kidney donated and seem to work fine for a while, but now is failing him again. He has had dialysis for about for quite a while and a mountain of medical debt that is piling up in the meantime. Due to his age and overall health, he is not high on the list for a donation anyway.

My relative was/ is a high ranking member of a megachurch and is a strong believer to say the least. Everytime we talk I hear nothing is changed or things have gotten worse than before, yet he still says how blessed he is.

My question for you all is how do you reconcile this with a blessing? He is more sick day to day than well, obviously gonna leave his kids and family with a ton of debt, and in all likelyhood not gonna get a new kidney and if so how long before thag one fails. I often wander if people truly believe, then why not accept that your lord is calling you home to paradise? why fight it so hard? why not accept gods plan?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Re: question for the religious folks

Jul 17, 2017, 8:51 PM

I am only going to address 1 thing.

When the ones we love are dying, financial concerns is the last of the thoughts. You try and keep your loved ones alive, not matter what age or condition they are in at the time. Hospitals cant necessarily ruin your credit and regardless, bad credit cant ruin your life forever. Losing a loved one does at times at at the very least leaves a hole that no money in the world can fill.

My man, you need to learn empathy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 PM

im only gonna address your last line. 1st off you don't know me or whats in heart or mind. this post wasnt about my empathy or lack there of, bc again you dont how me or my family are dealing with this or any other family issues.

my post was simply how 1 can reconcile "gods plan" then defy it at every turn. Im not saying he should just give up, but I dont believe there is any such plan which makes a ton more sense

Jul 18, 2017, 12:46 AM

It's difficult to discern 'God's Plan'. Faith is subjective. All believers feel it, but can't convince others of it's existence.

Blessed is relative. Not dead, some would consider a blessing. :)

Yours is a very fair question.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2017, 1:03 AM

I guess this is 1 of the many things about christians and a few other religions. the church teaches that heaven awaits after we leave our earhly bodies, which is paradise. you will know as he knows, which means everything (i guess). yet nobody wants to die lol ... even when tremendous pain and suffering is all you have to look forward to. even when you preach that everthing happens for a reason (god's plan). nope gonna postpone paradise long as I can. doesnt make a lotta sense to me. now I beleive this is it, only get 1 shot, so of course im gonna enjoy every second and keep it going as long as I can

Jul 18, 2017, 12:43 AM [ in reply to Re: question for the religious folks ]

Well said Tigermanac.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 8:51 PM

"high ranking member of a mega church"

What sort of privileges come with that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 9:40 PM

I would hope a tight community of people praying for you and more than likely raising money for you or supporting you through meals, visits and helping the caregivers as much as the sick. Those are privledges that a church offers.

Big reason our communities are so disconnected is because of the lack of church members and the weakening church.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 9:57 PM

> Big reason our communities are so disconnected is
> because of the lack of church members and the
> weakening church.

Well I definitely agree with that but I was just wondering what he meant by "high ranking member"....

I go to a pretty traditional Baptist church so I'm not familiar with how these mega churches operate. Maybe he just means he's a deacon or something.

Jul 17, 2017, 11:43 PM

I believe he has been elevated to Bishop. I can ask him to be sure next time we chat. Its been a while since I have attended church so perhaps "high ranking" is not the correct term.

Answer from one religious folk

Jul 17, 2017, 10:38 PM

in the form of another question; Why don't you ask you relative why he feels he is blessed - even in this trial?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

As an atheist, even I have to say this is a bad question.

Jul 18, 2017, 1:29 AM

People of religion have faith. It's not black and white, cut and dry. It's all about faith. They have it, I don't. But I don't ever question someone's process of grieving or using religion to help them get through tough times. The person is blessed to have a loving family and friends that are staying by his side through this until the end. Next time a loved one of yours is in critical care, I hope you walk in and say "Well, this is a $5000 per night hotel, what the hell's going on?"

Also, there is a religious sect out west called the Followers of Christ and they preach against medical intervention of any kind. Just last month in Oregon a couple was charged with the murder of their infant for refusing medical care in favor of religious healing. So, there are sects that do accept god's plan when it comes to medical care. It isn't working out too well for them... or maybe it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As an atheist, even I have to say this is a bad question.

Jul 18, 2017, 2:30 AM

He certainly does have a great group around him. In that way he is blessed, but dont think theres a devine hand in that

I guess it all depends on your definition of blessing

Jul 18, 2017, 5:42 AM

I think of the word more as encouragement or approval rather than a gift from a divine power. For me, being old and in bad health, it would be a blessing to have support from others rather than dealing with it alone. However, I get from your argument that the connotation was probably based in religion, but under the circumstances, you just have to agree that his support system is a good thing to have and just it go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess it all depends on your definition of blessing

Jul 18, 2017, 3:01 PM

I think you and many others ars confusing my question with support or lack there of. That is not an issue. He/we have a very large family and most live close by... he and I are not close however. But I love him and have always wished him the best

Re: As an atheist, even I have to say this is a bad question.

Jul 18, 2017, 2:36 AM [ in reply to As an atheist, even I have to say this is a bad question. ]

you're entitled to think its a bad question. I admittedly am a curious person, and dont think asking questions of faith is taboo or off limits. Im always trying to make sense of things, including ones thinking. This happens to be a forum where some likeminded folks are. thats why I posed the question. people can answer or not

Jul 18, 2017, 7:48 AM

Life is precious to God. Proverbs 24:11 says "Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter". I think it is probably a beautiful thing to God to see humans fight for each other's lives instead of taking it. Perhaps your relative is looking back on his life and all the good times and joy he's experienced and thanking God....because He didn't have to give him that. When it comes to pain and suffering in the world, I think it is necessary to fully experience love and happiness. You can't have one without the possibility of another. This perspective is easy for me to realize when I'm not going through what your relative is....

C.S. Lewis likens our relationship with God to a human and a bear. If you came across a bear caught in a trap, and you had to clamp down harder and cause him more pain to set the trap free, the bear wouldn't realize that....he would just know you were causing him pain. If there is a God up there don't you think the difference in us as humans and Him is much greater than the difference between us and a bear?

I think the fact that people can have joy in hard times is a clear indication that there is a higher power that can and will give us strength when we need it.....

atheist perspective -

Jul 18, 2017, 8:51 AM

The man has made his peace with his situation and is going to try to make the best of every remaining minute.

Religious spin - I am doing all that I can and the rest is in the Lord's hands.

Atheist spin - I am doing all that I can and the chips will fall where they may.

Re: atheist perspective -

Jul 18, 2017, 11:27 AM

best answer yet. and probably the most accurate

Yup. And both spins are pretty much the same.***

Jul 18, 2017, 11:44 AM [ in reply to atheist perspective - ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question for heathens with sick relatives.

Jul 18, 2017, 11:42 AM

Why don't you man up and donate a kidney to him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for heathens with sick relatives.

Jul 18, 2017, 3:02 PM

lol

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic