Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As a white man do you feel judged when
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

As a white man do you feel judged when

Jun 10, 2020, 1:14 PM

You walk into a store in a mostly black community? All I see is how black people feel judged when they walk into stores in mostly white communities. I love all people and I feel like my generation is much less racist than the one before me and that trend will continue with my children and so on. I do feel like it is a both way street tho.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a white man do you feel judged when

Jun 10, 2020, 1:20 PM

Years ago we were in Chicago for a Clemson hoops game. were were dressed in some casual stuff (not school stuff). We went into several upscale stores on Mich Ave. There was one where they followed us around like they were sure we were there to take something when we were just a middle aged couple out for a walk. It was so obvious they were on alert. It has been a running family joke for years because we are about as nonthreatening and low key as you can be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2020, 1:34 PM

Same thing happened to my wife and me. She wanted to go into a Michael Kors store on Michigan Ave and the security guard and both employees kept close eyes on us

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2023, 1:10 PM

That is just pathetic of people and I am sorry. Ofcourse I can understand somebody at a store watching somebody closely because of maybe the way they dress or carry themselves, tho that is still wrong imo, but not because of the color of their skin.

Jun 10, 2020, 1:26 PM

What you are missing in that comparison is enough empathy to realize the you and your ancestors have not spent 450 years enduring slavery, the failure of Reconstruction, lynchings, Jim Crow and continued institutional racism and police brutality that is still very much with us. I am white, in my 80s and had a southern middle class upbringing ... but I am not blind. Wake up!

Jun 10, 2020, 1:39 PM

I am not blind either. Ofcourse I believe what our country use to be like was horrible. I know in some parts of the country rasisim is still a very big deal. How I grew up tho I didn't see the black kids any differently. I have went to school and played sports with them my whole life and many black guys have been brothers to me and still are. I am just saying if you are white and go into the hood people will look at you differently the same way as if you are black and go into a nice white part of town. I dont think it should be that way but it is. Do you believe that because slavery was a thing years ago that it is okay for it to be that way?

Jun 10, 2020, 2:01 PM

I’ve noticed that when you post, you don’t separate the two words “of coarse”. I’ve seen you do this at least 20 times. Not trying to be the grammar police or trying to be a jerk, just wondering why you do that?

Jun 10, 2020, 2:24 PM

We have had the convo before. Of course I will try to correct myself lol.

of course you would say something like that***

Jun 10, 2020, 2:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: of course you would say something like that***

Jun 10, 2020, 5:26 PM

Ofcourse

Jun 10, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: As a white man do you feel judged when ]

Thank you for your enlightened view on the subject. Well said and keep the faith that we will continue to strive to make a MORE perfect union.

yes..honestly thats the nature of the beast***

Jun 10, 2020, 1:30 PM

Jun 10, 2020, 1:50 PM

Depends where it is and the income level of the area. I used to go to all black barber shops. Sometimes I would get vibed depending where it was. For example there were a couple all black shops in Charleston 20 years ago that would vibe me. Where I am now I have never noticed it though.

I don't blame you.

Jun 10, 2020, 3:14 PM

White barber shops can never get my cornrows straight

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Again

Jun 10, 2020, 1:52 PM

you are prescribing attributes to all people of particular skin colors. That is racism.

Re: Again

Jun 10, 2020, 1:59 PM

Well race is a thing you know right? Majority black communities are real l. Majority white communities are real. I would be perfectly fine if they were not but they are. Hopefully overtime that changes but right now it hasn't.

Re: Again

Jun 10, 2020, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Again ]

Obviously every person is themselves and that is not defined by the color of their skin. I am not trying to portray that it is.

Jun 10, 2020, 2:05 PM

I used to have long hair and a beard. People told me I either looked like Jesus or Johnny Taliban. I definitely felt judged, and was treated differently (especially in more conservative places like Clemson). Of course it was my choice to look the way I did- but it taught me a valuable lesson on how people treat others based on appearance. I definitely learned more about others than I learned about myself.

Jun 10, 2020, 6:08 PM

i have been rejected for jury duty, think that it was my short haircut and the fella was on trial for weed

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will say that I felt a little uneasy once back in the 80's

Jun 10, 2020, 2:15 PM

I was a teenager working construction for the summer, and one of my co-workers, a black fellow probably 50ish years old, kept inviting me over to his house for a pig picking. Well, after politely declining all summer long, I finally took him up on his invitation. I grabbed a buddy and we went way out into the middle of nowhere in Calhoun County to his house.

We knocked on the door, and were let in, but ushered into a room all by ourselves, away from the regulars. I remember distinctly that a more R&B version of "Waiting for a Girl Like You" was playing on the hifi. It was a somewhat awkward cultural moment...but one that my best buddy and I both still talk about to this day. I guess my old co-worker is probably gone now, but I will always remember being his houseguest that one time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in a 60W/30B/10 other community

Jun 10, 2020, 2:38 PM

I run a lot. I pass through white and black neighborhoods. I have felt the dirty looks from the black neighborhoods, but have also had lots of waves as well. It is normal for anyone in their environment to be somewhat suspicious of someone that they are not used to seeing around. I just smile, wave and keep moving.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

that's the type of oil I use

Jun 10, 2020, 2:55 PM

in my bus

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

No. Not at all.***

Jun 10, 2020, 2:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Jun 10, 2020, 3:27 PM

When I first got out of service, I worked as a construction grunt, in Virginia. I was the only white guy on the gang. From the time I met my room mate (he made very plain he did not like me and didn't want to share a room),things took on a very uncomfortable feel, to say the least. The thought quickly came to me, that I was going to be working in the deep woods and swamps with eight guys, that have made it plain, they don't like me. Thankfully none of them had murder in their hearts. At first the situation was so bad, I would usually eat by myself, at lunch time. After six months I was moved to another gang, and after six months of working together and getting to know one another, I was accepted by the guys. Well with the exception of two. In fact, the morning I left, two of the guys got up at five that morning to help me load my car, and one had been my chief antagonist. We all shook hands, gave our well wishes, and hopes to meet again.

I guess the lessons can be learned, that prejudice comes in all colors and nationalities, never judge a book by it's cover, or a man by the color of his skin, but by what's in his heart, and before you can really know what someone has to put up with, walk a mile in his shoes.

I know that people are people regardless of race or national origin. We can be good, or we can be bad. I do believe that God created us all with a basic goodness, sometimes I think it just gets lost. I think there are more good people than there are bad. Maybe we'll figure it out one day.

I also believe this, there is a day coming, I don't think I'll live to see it, but every person that calls this land home, whether African American, Hispanic, or Asian, white, or whatever, is going to have to unite, to save this country we call home.

Jun 10, 2020, 5:00 PM

I have but it was when I lived in Maryland. I've never noticed it in the Carolinas or Tennessee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel judged as a white man when I dance in a black club.

Jun 10, 2020, 5:04 PM

I also feel judged when I dance in a white club.

I also feel judged when I dance in front of my cat.

I also feel judged when I don't dance in front of my cat.

Why can't people just let me be me?

null

Jun 10, 2020, 6:06 PM

no sir

i was asked to refund a guys change at a laundry , he assumed that i was the owner

i was asked for directions in spanish because i was wearing a texas hat

Jun 10, 2020, 6:10 PM

i dont think it was racial, just that humans make assumptions everyday

I helped cater an all black party (wedding reception)

Jun 10, 2020, 6:52 PM

when I was a teen. I was one of the quietest, nicest teens you could meet. Even if I had ill will toward someone, they’d never know it. During the reception, I was bullied by several tables like I’ve never experienced with any party. One guy I remember distinctly, asked me to fill up his tea (which was about a half inch from the top, no exaggeration) so I topped it off with as much as I could without over spilling it. I was about to walk away when he stopped me and said, “a little more.” The rest of the tables was laughing. I literally couldn’t put anymore in his tea without it spilling. It was clearly a power trip...there’s no other way to explain it. I had some other tables do similar things with their plates when I was clearing tables. I didn’t let it affect my attitude that night and it ended well. Most of the party was very nice. But, needless to say, I felt discriminated because I was white. On occasion during other parties, I’d have a white trouble maker every now and then...but I had never had so much heat from an all black party in one episode.

It’s unnerving experiencing it, but it was there. I wouldn’t wish discrimination on any one. It’s not fun being on that side and I’d never do that to someone else. I want people to stop pretending that racism is a one way street though. That’s why all this targeted rhetoric at whites is pizzin me off. If you’re trying to eliminate all racism, discrimination and bias from whites only, you’re only working with half the equation. If it’s origins are inwards and only display in outward expressions, then changing a law here or there isn’t going to solve the problem.

So if you’re asking about being treated differently in a predominantly black atmosphere, that’s the only experience that comes to mind. I’m a home body so I don’t get around too many people unless work demands it.

On a side note, I was groped by a women as a server. I wouldn’t have been half mad if she was attractive and wasn’t more than twice my age at the time. Serving sucks...

Have you ever considered...

Jun 10, 2020, 7:07 PM

Maybe it was drunk adults ####### with a teenager as opposed to it being a racial issue? Or just a power trip over a kid? You even said most were polite.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

There was no alcohol, and I’ve worked probably

Jun 10, 2020, 7:12 PM

300+ parties over an 8 year period. If you’re denying the authenticity of my experience, then you’re no better than the people you’ve been relentlessly arguing against on here. So don’t give me the “have you ever considered” bs...I know of what I speak. You’re doing your efforts here a great disservice by entrenching yourself in one perspective.

Calm your ####.

Jun 10, 2020, 7:22 PM

I didn't deny the authenticity of your experience; I'm questioning how you read it. You even said white people also were ##### to you at times. We don't always remember things how they were back when we were teens, and teens over-read experiences often. What if you were more intimidated since they were black?

I find adults, black or white, can often be unnecessarily ######## to teenagers, especially in service.

Either way, calm the #### down. Geez, some of y'all.

Re: Calm your ####.

Jun 10, 2020, 7:34 PM

I am calm man...I’m expressive on here. Don’t take my posts too personal lol. But no, I told you the specifics of my experience so there’s no need to dissect or attempt to find holes in it. That’d be like me saying Chauvin was probably just having a bad day, or he was really trying to protect Floyd from harming himself...obviously I’d be ridiculed out the building.

Don’t you find it a little hypocritical you’re quick to question my experience by trying to find alternative reasonings for those individuals at the party....but then you’re just as quickly dismissive about those questioning rioters and other police incidents? As someone who likes to straddle topics every now and then, you’re kinda coming off as an extremist...

I asked you questions...

Jun 10, 2020, 7:51 PM

Especially since your experience was as a teen, and our judgment/view of the world isn't very clear then.

Re: I asked you questions...

Jun 10, 2020, 8:26 PM

I mean, I wasn’t really a child. I worked there starting in high school and through out my time at Clemson and a year or two after. There’s really no way to misinterpret the events that took place. I’m telling you I felt discriminated against. I don’t harbor any ill will towards blacks though...I know it was the actions of a few. Just like I know it’s just the actions of a few bad cops. I’m just stating it exists on both sides and the OP was asking for specific instances where you may have been judged by skin color.

Things are not so black and white. Not all black people are

Jun 10, 2020, 7:22 PM

racist, but some hate white people with every fiber of their being. Same with white people. I find that when I am the only white guy around a lot of black people, some of them tend to go out of their way to make me feel more comfortable, usually a majority of them do actually.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2020, 7:53 PM

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBPLs6qg4Oy/?igshid=iuj4ofxjwedo

I think it depends on the area

Jun 10, 2020, 8:51 PM

Re: I think it depends on the area

Jun 10, 2020, 10:13 PM

I will second that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mange diarrhea RA.***

Jun 10, 2020, 8:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic