Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 137
| visibility 1

As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary

Mar 14, 2020, 1:27 PM

Some basics about COVID-19:

Coronavirus is a respiratory illness spread through droplets, from a cough or sneeze, to someone else’s nose or eyes directly or from a surface contaminated by an infected person. There’s no evidence that the illness is transmitted through food (orally) or fecally.

The chances of having a serious COVID-19 infection are very low. 96% of people with symptoms will test negative.

Bottom line: Try to NOT touch your face ( something we do 3-23 times/ minute!) unless your hands are as CLEAN as possible. If you can, try to wash your hands with soap and hot water for 20 seconds, followed by hand sanitizer (ie. CLOROX Disinfecting Wipes (w/o bleach), before you touch your face OR just do the same two things every 4 hours or so (less if only at home). Do the best you can and keep a mind set re cleanliness.

Remember that 80% of people with the virus will recover without issues; 14% of the affected will experience severe disease and 5% will be critically ill. The overall death rate is between 1-3.4%.

The most severe cases occur in the over 60 age group and especially people with underlying health issues, such as COPD or other underlying lung disease, heart disease, immune suppression for any reason (to include chemo or radiation therapy), smoking history, diabetes, people without pneumo-vax vaccinations ( 2 are required) for pneumococcal pneumonia. Health care workers are especially at risk.

Symptoms to watch for: 1) Fever ( 100.4 or higher), 2) Cough (productive or not), 3) Shortness of breath that's new, 4) Generally feeling ill (headache, aches and pains). If you do become ill, it's very important to stay at home and call your doctor for instructions. If you become very ill (unlikely) call your doctor or the ER immediately and ask for advice.

Dining out: Take along some good sani-wipes (for the table) and hand sanitizer and use it! Salt and pepper shakers, silver ware and the like CAN retain the virus. If you touch these items, scrub again and or use copious amounts of hand sanitizer BEFORE you touch your mouth, nose or eyes again.

The number of new cases in China is declining, which will hopefully be the case in the USA in the near future (ie. 6-8 weeks). Rest assured that the US has the best facilities and manpower in the world to address this rapidly unfolding pandemic. Nobody is close to our capabilities.

Chances are very high that we will be OK but, of course, the unknown creates fear, which can become widespread and actually be more damaging to our psyche, especially when the liberal media attempt to discredit the response by the Trump administration for political gain, stoking fear and confusion.

A colleague (medical school classmate--psychiatrist) says that in times of uncertainty, people should strive for emotional balance. Maintain routines. Find someone who can help check fears and concerns. Don't talk frequently to the friend who's in a frenzy about it – fear, experts say, is contagious.

The number of testing kits is a problem since the CDC has NEVER had a stockpile to address the huge numbers of potentially infected. That will soon NOT be a problem. Drive through testing sites in large parking lots ( thank you corporate America) will be set up soon. Initially, time was consumed by having to identify the RNA genomes of the virus in order to produce a suitable reagent ( chemical) to test the samples from patients. The CDC did not trust the kits from other countries and wanted to create their own.

**** The Chinese GOVERNMENT did monumental damage to the world by keeping their epidemic under wraps, avoiding transparency and even refusing US help before the virus EXPLODED EXPONENTIALLY.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary

Mar 14, 2020, 1:38 PM

Good advice. Believe it or not, neither the media nor trump is responsible!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2020, 1:46 PM

Not responsible for the virus or the panic? I wouldn’t give the press a pass on the panic.

They’ve made it pretty clear why they want to whip this into CRISIS MODE!

This coronavirus outbreak must unite everyone who wants to defeat Trump
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/13/coronavirus-outbreak-must-unite-everyone-who-wants-defeat-trump-column/5023411002/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 14, 2020, 9:14 PM

Not responsible for the virus or the panic? I wouldn’t give the press a pass on the panic.

They’ve made it pretty clear why they want to whip this into CRISIS MODE!

This coronavirus outbreak must unite everyone who wants to defeat Trump
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/13/coronavirus-outbreak-must-unite-everyone-who-wants-defeat-trump-column/5023411002/

It is an opinion piece. The other side of the coin is the POTUS saying that the number of infections will soon go to zero. I ask: which is worse, an opinion piece in a newspaper or downright lies from our leader?

Tiger Swimmer is right. Media is pumping FEAR

Mar 14, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

And sees this as an opportunity to bring down Trump.
The SARS virus under OBAMA didnt cause much of anything to shutdown.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tiger Swimmer is right. Media is pumping FEAR

Mar 14, 2020, 11:18 PM

Correction: Swine Flu. ... that killed up to 575,000 worldwide. What got shutdown then? Where was the panc then?

Swine Flu stats...

Mar 16, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Tiger Swimmer is right. Media is pumping FEAR ]

Time from WHO declaration of a pandemic for the Swine Flu and Obama's declaration of a National Emergency­-135 days

Time from WHO declaration of a pandemic for the China Virus and Trump's declaration of a National Emergency-­2days

60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million)

274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719)

12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) (282 children)

Thanks, Obama, for screwing that one up!! The MSM covered for you, sadly.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swine Flu stats...

Mar 16, 2020, 10:59 AM

User Logo
MiuraTiger®
Asst Coach [709]
TigerPulse: 97%
Swine Flu stats...
Posted: Mar 16, 2020 10:57 AM

Time from WHO declaration of a pandemic for the Swine Flu and Obama's declaration of a National Emergency­-135 days

Time from WHO declaration of a pandemic for the China Virus and Trump's declaration of a National Emergency-­2days

and not one event was cancelled or any schools closed down yet somehow we made it through.

Mar 16, 2020, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Swine Flu stats... ]

You need to stay away from Fox News Doc, you're being mislead....again.

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were about 60.8 million cases of infection with the novel type of influenza virus in the U.S. between April 2009 and April 2010, with a total of approximately 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths.

While that death toll may sound high, it’s over an entire year and, in fact, ended up being far lower than was initially expected. The strain of influenza also turned out to have a case fatality rate of just 0.02% — well below even many typical seasonal influenzas."

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

So in your opinion Trump also should have waited 135 days instead of 2?

Mar 16, 2020, 11:59 AM

Just want to be clear on what you're opposing.

Re: So in your opinion Trump also should have waited 135 days instead of 2?

Mar 16, 2020, 12:06 PM

No, what I'm saying is that you can't trust much of anything coming out of Trump's mouth. Lies and false narratives are his currency.

Trump, quoting Lou Dobbs, said it took 6 months to declare and emergency. That's just not true.

Read the article, that's why I posted it:

"On April 15, 2009, the first infection was identified in California, according to the CDC, and less than two weeks later, on April 26, 2009, the Obama administration declared a public health emergency. The day before, on April 25, the World Health Organization had declared a public health emergency.

Dr. Richard Besser, then-acting director of the CDC, confirmed to the press on the day of the U.S. declaration that there were 20 cases of H1N1 in the U.S., and that “all of the individuals in this country who have been identified as cases have recovered.”

The same day — April 26 — the CDC began releasing antiviral drugs to treat the H1N1 flu, and two days later, the FDA approved a new CDC test for the disease, according to a CDC timeline on the pandemic.

On April 30, 2009, two days after the public health emergency declaration, Obama formally asked Congress for $1.5 billion to fight the outbreak, and later asked for nearly $9 billion, according a September 2009 Congressional Research Service report. On June 26, 2009, Obama signed Congress’ supplemental appropriation bill that included $7.7 billion for the outbreak.

The U.S. public health emergency was renewed twice — on July 24, 2009, and Oct. 1, 2009."

The Covid-19 Virus, "the new Democrat Hoax" appeared in Dec. 2019 and within days spread like wildfire. The Washington Post identified it's danger on Jan. 08, 2020. It's March 16 and we still don't have adequate tests. So, it's spreading because we have no idea who does or doesn't have it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/specter-of-possible-new-virus-emerging-from-central-china-raises-alarms-across-asia/2020/01/08/3d33046c-312f-11ea-971b-43bec3ff9860_story.html

Re: So in your opinion Trump also should have waited 135 days instead of 2?

Mar 16, 2020, 10:31 PM

Always the cheap shots at FOX, eh? What a patriot you are. Be proud, lefty, be very proud.

I don't understand your statement

Mar 18, 2020, 12:45 AM

Is loyalty to an entertainment network equated as support for your country? (yes, Fox News is entertainment ... same as MSNBC and the others)

If you think so, I think your own patriotism needs a review.

Take lots of shots at any "news" source that frequently bends the truth or outright lies in order to keep you clicking ads or watching commercials.

I wonder if this Lent if we all gave up 'the news' how much better we'd all feel about our country and the world by mid-April.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Mar 17, 2020, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Swine Flu stats... ]

Or you are Felix

Mar 17, 2020, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Swine Flu stats... ]

Just sent you a T-mail.

Mar 17, 2020, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Swine Flu stats... ]

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/17/joe-biden-lies-about-coronavirus-testing-to-make-trump-look-bad/

Swine Flu stats...

Mar 16, 2020, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Tiger Swimmer is right. Media is pumping FEAR ]

Mar 14, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

The mainstream US Press has been the catalyst spreading great fear among the population. their behavior at the designated press conferences is confrontational and very impolite to every speaker. They act hysterical themselves. How you give the media a pass is beyond my comprehension!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2020, 2:00 PM

At a major press conference with the Trumps COVID guy (don't remember his name, don't care),

a 'highly regarded' member of the press asked "why are older people at risk and what research is being done to determine why older people are more at risk?"

Seriously? Waste time with a stupid question like that!? The answer was "we already know why, older people have weakened immune systems"

The media is dumb as rocks unless they find a political angle to then say "see what they did wrong!"

I am not blaming the liberals OR conservatives, I am blaming them ALL. They all have an angle to make their team look better and that is the number one goal. Just a disgusting waste of everything!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Mar 15, 2020, 12:18 PM

Thumbs up for TigerCook! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2020, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

To use media logic, the reporter wanted to understand why the elderly were being discriminated against.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TigerCook has correctly identified maybe the major problem

Mar 18, 2020, 12:58 AM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

with politics as it is lived out in American society. The idea that "my team"needs to win, regardless of the qualities of the candidates or their ability to speak coherently about issues that matter is absurd.

No political party should have your unfettered loyalty! If they don't put forth a candidate you can believe in because of who he or she is, then screw them. But if you ignore every shortcoming of your team's candidate because he's wearing your colors, then we've finally found an issue worth calling out someone's patriotism over.

Don't sacrifice your country for your political party. 150 years from now, they will have completely flipped allegiances and platforms. Don't believe me, the GOP were the liberal progressives in the 1850s and even had a "radical republican" faction that was waaayy left. The Democratic party were the conservatives who wanted to keep the establishment and not change too quickly. It's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

When it's time to discuss how we should and shouldn't respond to a legit crisis, please leave the news, ahem entertainment networks out of it as well as the political low-blows. I'm sick of it.

Mar 14, 2020, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

The public is entitled to a press that asks frank and candid questions. Just because Trump first said it was a hoax does not mean we are not entitled to good information.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a lifelong Republican. I'm also 61 years old, and Trump

Mar 15, 2020, 8:53 AM

is the most dishonest president in my lifetime. Daily, he makes comments that are either lies, or ridiculous exaggerations. Case in point, three weeks ago he said this virus is a "hoax".

This week he states that Google is going to together a national website and it would be out soon. Google was not planning on doing a national website, a subsidiary of Google was going to put together a website for "California".

Google is now going to put something together, but it will not happen next week.

Re: I'm a lifelong Republican. I'm also 61 years old, and Trump

Mar 15, 2020, 12:32 PM

Civil eng....I'm more or less in the same boat as you. I'm primarily a conservative who is mostly fed up with President Trump's antics, rants, lies(they all lie) but what are we to do come election time? I don't want to vote for President Trump but don't care for the platforms of The Democratic party. Who will you vote for?
I'm between a rock and a hard place!

Between Trump, Biden and Sanders, it has to be Biden.

Mar 15, 2020, 2:18 PM

Sanders is equally off the chain as Trump. I know a lot of Tigernetters like Trump. I'm not sure why, as I've never seen a President that lies on a daily basis like Trump. I think a lot of people just let it slide, but America is straining relationships with a lot of allies that have been close to the U.S. since WWII.

Re: Between Trump, Biden and Sanders, it has to be Biden.

Mar 15, 2020, 4:05 PM

Some of those relationships should have been strained a long time ago.

Re: Between Trump, Biden and Sanders, it has to be Biden.

Mar 17, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Between Trump, Biden and Sanders, it has to be Biden. ]

civil engr said:

Sanders is equally off the chain as Trump. I know a lot of Tigernetters like Trump. I'm not sure why, as I've never seen a President that lies on a daily basis like Trump. I think a lot of people just let it slide, but America is straining relationships with a lot of allies that have been close to the U.S. since WWII.

Don't forget that all those allies benefit more than we do from their relationship with us. They will be fine once they get used to the box that they thought that they outgrew.

"Allies" have been eating a lot of free lunch over the years courtesy of the American taxpayer. Of course they don't like someone telling them they have to pay now. Also, it's a little emotionally devastating when the 800lb gorilla starts to do his own thing and you have to face reality that you have little that you can do about it because you need him more than he needs you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2020, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm a lifelong Republican. I'm also 61 years old, and Trump ]

I agree with y'all. Furthermore, I think 4 years of Biden is far better for the country than 4 more years of Trump. If the Pubs nominate another Trump mini-me, I vote Biden again.

i need a refresher i guess...what has he done that is bad?

Mar 17, 2020, 2:19 PM

i'm no Trump enthusiast either. Honestly the only thing that I wish he wouldn't do is that he tends to run his mouth a little too much. Alot of it is fine/humorous but i cringe mostly when he responds to someone who criticizes him and he calls them names or makes them relevant by hitting back. But I knew that's who he was when I voted for him so you take the bad with the good. But...other than that...he's done a great job. At the same time I feel its good that he speaks so much and is an open book..he's an open book, everyone knows what he's thinking at all times. Which has never happened in our history.

What people usually bring up as negatives are all political stunts (which force me to Vote Trump again b/c you can't allow dirty politics to win out no matter what); The mueller thing was a work by those trying to oust him(which we find out later it was in the works during his opponents presidential campaign), the recent push by the dems to impeach him over the ukraine phone call was more of the same (if anything we learn that all presidents in the past(even sometimes VicePresidents) use negotiation tactics to get work done as long they don't present a national security threat and until now we want to get technical to the exact verbiage and try to use yet another tactic to oust the President. All the other points about racism, sexism, xenophobia are all BS twisting of his words. Which again, i can't let mis-characterizations or dirty politics win the day. so gotta send a message to our gov't actors to stop this non sense..so you gotta vote Trump until he does something wrong.

So what else is there? Everything common-sensical he's been instrumental in fixing or at least trying to fix. There's still more to do but with two hands tied behind his back he's done great and i give him credit for doing as much as he's done.

I think all this is ultimately about the Supreme Court. His opponents can ill-afford to let him name another Supreme Court Judge. One that would sway the course and direction for many years to a more constitutional/republic form of government instead of the mob-rule mentality of the democrats bc thats their only way to getting and keeping power on their side. They were so close to getting Hillary in and two liberal judges plus soon to be Ginsberg's seat. Thats why they're so hellbent on getting Trump out. Bc this next judge if he/she is conservative will ruin their socialized healthcare push, gov't controlled everything push, open borders push, and eventual globalization push.

Its crazy that our college age brethren have been so easily trained to go along with this garbage. But I gotta stop or i'll write another 8 chapters. But moral of the story is..no matter what it'll be portrayed as Trumps fault, don't be the dummy that buys that, and Bill OBrien is a moron.

Four years of Biden would be a disaster...

Mar 18, 2020, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm a lifelong Republican. I'm also 61 years old, and Trump ]

He is far to the left of Obama. He absolutely wants gun confiscation.

Mar 17, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to I'm a lifelong Republican. I'm also 61 years old, and Trump ]

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

At no time, did he say the virus itself was a hoax but carry on with your fear-mongering.

I've seen your posts before Trump...you are not a Republican***

Mar 18, 2020, 11:24 AM [ in reply to I'm a lifelong Republican. I'm also 61 years old, and Trump ]

Here is what was said. He did not call the virus a hoax

Mar 15, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

“...Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that.”

Re: Here is what was said. He did not call the virus a hoax

Mar 15, 2020, 12:00 PM

Your post says it all. That is not a rebuttal. That post is proof that He is the biggest con man in history. He is calling it a political hoax. How can anyone read that, hear that , see that, and not plainly conclude that he is calling it a hoax> I am befuddled. I am sixty one years old. I have never seen any president in my lifetime lie on a daily basis about any thing and every thing, even when he doesn't have to. He cant even point to a hurricane map and tell the truth without changing it to fit his narrative of the moment . He is the last person I would trust in a national crisis , when he should be the first person that we all should trust. Get him out of the way and lets get to the public health officials and hear what they have to say.

He was calling out how the media is portraying his “handling”

Mar 15, 2020, 2:25 PM

of the corona virus a hoax, not the virus itself. Big difference. Media his the duty and right to question what he has or hasn’t done in response to virus. But the media has no right to outright lie about what he said.

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

Trump was speaking from the White House a few weeks ago

Mar 15, 2020, 2:57 PM

about the severity of the Coronavirus and Trump's comment was ".... it is a hoax". He also said (at that same interview three weeks ago) that our "15" Americans that had tested positive would be "zero" soon. Well, it is currently well over 2000 that have tested positive, and more than 50 have died.

He just makes up #### and expects everyone to believe him. Right after Trump won the S.C. Primary in 2016 he made the comment, "I love stupid people".

How anyone from S.C. can respect him after that comment is beyond me.

Link to video where he said virus is a hoax

Mar 15, 2020, 4:06 PM

TIA, because I can’t find it

Same here. I think Trump is an idiot, but I also can't find

Mar 18, 2020, 1:11 AM

any video of him calling the virus itself a hoax. He said a lot of other crazy things about it (how fast it would go away, asking if a flu vaccine would help, suggesting people go to work when they were sick and getting better (no idea what that was about), but I think he never called it a hoax.

I agree that he was addressing the political maneuverings of the dems to put him in as bad a light as they could.

Re: Here is what was said. He did not call the virus a hoax

Mar 15, 2020, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Here is what was said. He did not call the virus a hoax ]

POTD......agree 1000%.....Go Tigers!!!!

Mar 15, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Trump never said it was a hoax. The media took his words out of context. What he said was the MSM was perpetrating a hoax by the way they were covering it, spreading fear etc. Stop listening to just MSNBC, CNN etc. Check other news sources to get the full story.

Mar 14, 2020, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

We ALL saw it on live TV from china weeks before it was an issue here and the government did nothing.
Soon china will remove the lockdown and the epidemic will start there all over again with a second wave.

Mar 14, 2020, 4:46 PM

Bingo, we had weeks to prepare. We could see the results of being unprepared. Literally the whole world watched. And the most powerful country in the world STILL wasn't (isn't) prepared. Our testing abilities are still at a pathetic level. We had an EXTREMELY slow reaction time to this.

All the while the White House is trying to minimize the issues as a Chinese issue, then isolated US issue that was under control, then a joke to some congressmen (Deatz), then OH #### we can't even test people who are sick. We basically pissed away 2 months of preparation time. Some of this was to minimize fear but it was done to an ignorant level. This virus wasn't given enough respect.

"We" sat on this to protect the president's image

Mar 16, 2020, 2:34 PM

and re-electability. And - most likely - his ego as well. He can't stand anything that even remotely makes him look bad. And the country has suffered for it. How can ANYONE be ok with that?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Thanks so much! Nice to hear a voice of sanity for a change!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2020, 1:38 PM

Thanks for presenting the info.

Mar 14, 2020, 1:47 PM

thank you and please answer a question:

Why is testing so important? People seem to think it is important they get tested right away. I think this is a waste of resources. If someone is sick enough to need medical care, then a test may be warranted. Otherwise, I see no value other than statistics. As you pointed out, the vast majority of cases will not get treatment as there is no treatment that cannot be done at home (rest, fluids, etc.) in these cases.

The biggest threat of this whole thing is how we react to it. The media is keeping everyone in a panic state and that is more harmful than anything.

In the olden and golden days, the media would be instructing folks to stay calm and guiding them in how to best handle the situation. Clearly, that is not the goal of media these days as every political party has an angle to gain ground from this.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Mar 14, 2020, 1:54 PM

you want to be tested if you think you might have it because you don't want to become a walking murder vector for everyone you may encounter who is either in a vulnerable group, or has contact with others in a vulnerable group.

Mar 14, 2020, 2:01 PM

Those that are vulnerable need to bunker down. Not everyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Mar 14, 2020, 3:01 PM

So the vulnerable ones should all stay locked away until this all blows over? Who would get them supplies? Who would care for them? Who pays their bills if they still work?

Mar 14, 2020, 3:50 PM

So the non-vulnerable ones should all stay locked away until this all blows over? Who would get them supplies? Who would care for them? Who pays their bills if they still work?

Mar 15, 2020, 12:18 AM

The most vulnerable are already being cared for under special circumstances and can be attended to by the same people who are attending to them now.

Message was edited by: orangecoloredglasses®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe if you are sick you should stay home whether

Mar 14, 2020, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

it is the flu or the corona virus

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Yes, I would like to hear what the docs relpy is too. The Chinese should be chastised, and I'm glad the CDC reverted to their own tests.

Not sure about the other media but I've found that lady doc on ABC has been good at disseminate the info as posted above.

One thing I'd like to see in the future is more hospitals have ER sections like the ones popping up in the parking lots. If I break my arm or have chest pains etc, I really don't want to go to the ER and sit next to a family with viral diseases... Or at least give me a mask worth a dern.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, "You don't need a mask." ... (you're just a citizen)***

Mar 14, 2020, 9:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually I would argue that it’s more important for those with minor symptoms

Mar 14, 2020, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

To get tested. So they know to quarantine and not spread it rather than go out while feeling fine. It could Actually stem to spread

Those who having serious symptoms should just assume they have it And get help. Being a statistic isn’t going to actually help them recover.

Re: actually I would argue that it’s more important for those with minor symptoms

Mar 14, 2020, 4:16 PM

As a physician as well, I agree with your point about the not-so-sick. It's those who are the major vectors it seems. So knowing who needs to truly be set apart from other is very valuable. Again this isn't so much about the virus' ability to harm an individual as it is about the insane infectivity it displays causing a MAJOR stress on a system that may not be able to handle it. Just because the rate of those severely affected is low, it doesn't mean the effect on the system as a whole is low. The infectivity is so insane from this virus that the sheer numbers are the problem.

Message was edited by: tigerpathmd®

But, "We aren't set up for this." Pizzed away at least 6 wks***

Mar 15, 2020, 9:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would think that random testing of several thousand

Mar 14, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

today, from an array of geographic locations, would help greatly in terms of public perspective and awareness. Performing such testing weekly would help also, especially if the information is shared without filters. Much of the public fear is based on the vacuum of information available in this area, and often conflicting messaging that was coming from our top levels of government early in the process.

How many are really infected? What's the true mortality rate based on the true number of infected? What are patterns associated with spread, lifestyle, geography, climate, work conditions, etc.? To me this would be extremely helpful in instilling a greater sense of order and focus. The more "knowns" we have to share, the lesser the fear of "unknowns" takes hold.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, the cat is out of the bag. Test sick people.

Mar 14, 2020, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

If you are sick, stay home just like you would with the flu. There's nothing that can be done for you unless you get really sick and need support.

Mar 14, 2020, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Testing is THE most important thing to do right now, beside find a vaccine. We don't know where it is or how big it is or how fast it is spreading. We need data so we can model its growth.

Mar 16, 2020, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

how did not getting tested work for HIV

Mar 17, 2020, 3:01 PM

It didn't happen because the government prevented resources from being allocated for it. Ronald Reagan, the Golden Idol of Republicanism treated it like this; When the HIV/AIDS epidemic began in the 1980s, the Reagan administration's first reaction was chilling: It appeared to treat the epidemic as a joke.

TigerCook - the media of which you speak

Mar 18, 2020, 1:25 AM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

is difficult to find today.

the 24-hour news/entertainment cycle is ruinous. The media you are referring to had an hour a day to distill the most important facts and communicate them to the nation.

Now there is no distilling - hell, there's practically no understanding at all. it's like watching a slow-motion train wreck every day ... from inside the train.

It's hard to get off that ride, but it is worth it if you can.

I doubt anyone will see this post, but ...

if I could recommend just one source, I'd suggest the PBS News Hour. (Some may remember the old MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour.) They are solid, not fancy, fair to different perspectives (I think). The big difference and the proof that it is news worth listening to is that it isn't about the characters (Trump and whoever is anti-trump today), it is about the issues that are relevant.

If you haven't heard of it -- maybe that's a good thing. They aren't working so hard to get your attention that they'll tell you whatever it is you want to hear.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/

Mar 14, 2020, 1:49 PM

Good information. Wish you had stuck to medical content and not inserted political issue of Trump and the “ liberal press”. A conservative can see that we were not quick enough in taking the virus seriously.

Mar 14, 2020, 1:54 PM

This! Maybe the media could do better, but so could the administration. Keep politics out of it and just make it about science and health.

Mar 14, 2020, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Yes! Can we possibly have any topic without someone making it political?

Mar 15, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Since this is on the football board, that comment is comparative to the complaints on the play calling in the National Championship. It is easy to criticize in HINDSIGHT. Several strong steps were made early. They were not sufficient knowing what we know now, but the administration can only use the information they have at that time.

I have seen a few comments on not having enough test kits. Two months ago, we were coming off the sting of losing for the first time in over 2 years. None of us had heard of the coronavirus. Two or three weeks ago spellcheck was still flagging coronavirus. Are we supposed to keep test kits around for every possible thing for everybody in the US? Keep in mind these things go bad, so that means constantly restocking supplies that are not being used.

How do you test, if you don't know

Mar 15, 2020, 11:32 AM

What you're testing for?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2020, 1:51 PM

Results from the Diamond Princess are suggesting more asymptomatic cases and a much lower (around1%) fatality rate. The problem with most other results is that fewer people were tested and both China and Italy have a much greater proportion of smokers Nd elderly compared to the general public.

Smokers: this is a great time to quit. Nothing good comes from it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate/amp

Mar 14, 2020, 1:55 PM

if 150 million of us become infected, that means 1.5 million of us die. You okay with that?

Mar 14, 2020, 2:28 PM

Dang dude you scared ?

Mar 14, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Absolutely not OK with it. Just sharing some useful information

What kind of question is that?

Mar 14, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

if 150 million of us become infected, that means 1.5 million of us die. You okay with that?

If that is what happens, being ok or not with what happens makes how much difference? Lightning strikes kill some folks every year, 'Are you ok with that?'. See how much sense that doesn't make?

Sometimes crappy things happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

Re: What kind of question is that?

Mar 14, 2020, 7:50 PM

But there IS something we can do about it. We can slow down and spread out the 150 million infection rate, if we choose. This will keep the hospital from being overwhelmed. This will give the med staff a chance to rest and treat us if we slowly dripped in to the hospital, rather than a zombie hoard of infected descending upon an overflowing hospital.

If a giant hoard of sick appear, many are going to need ventilators. We have a fixed number of them, if we need more than we have, they will be rationed. Some will be forced to do without. But, if we can slow it down, maybe, we won't have a surge that we can't handle.

Do we want to try to slow it down? Knowing that if we can, we could save lives (probably grandma and grandpa).

Maybe it's pointless, but do we want to try?

Or just say f it. Bad things happen. and start the thoughts and prayers posts.

Mar 14, 2020, 8:21 PM

I’ll bet you are the life of the party anywhere you go. Live your life and let others live theirs. The chips will fall where they may.

Mar 15, 2020, 2:19 AM

Just thought we would at least try to flatten the curve

People like you are precisely the problem. We aren't talking

Mar 15, 2020, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Re: What kind of question is that? ]

some game of poker. Cavalier attitudes are at the root of the spread... that, and the lack of testing urgency.

Mar 14, 2020, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: What kind of question is that? ]

Where is this 150 million coming from ? Ok yeah CNN

Mar 15, 2020, 2:17 AM

The congressional Dr.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/up-to-150-million-americans-are-expected-to-contract-the-coronavirus-congressional-doctor-says.html

Sometimes crappy things happen and you respond quickly.***

Mar 14, 2020, 9:12 PM [ in reply to What kind of question is that? ]

Mar 15, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to What kind of question is that? ]

Lightning strikes probably kill half-a-dozen people a year. 1.5 million people dying, or sucking resources out of the hospital system, would be a massive social and economic calamity. I'm just trying to make the point that people need to stop being blase about "oh, it's only a 1% fatality rate." Flu has a tenth that fatality rate, and there are months when it can nearly bring hospitals to their knees, if that year's strain happens to be slightly more virulent than normal.

Osterholm suggested that America might not be any

Mar 14, 2020, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

better off because obesity may be just as much of a risk factor as smoking and we are one of the most obese nations in the world.

I haven't looked to see if any other experts share his opinion on this, but it wouldn't be surprising as obesity can cause other breathing problems.

Mar 14, 2020, 1:56 PM

Ching Chong feel wrong aka bat aids. Not covid-19

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information!***

Mar 14, 2020, 2:08 PM

Mar 14, 2020, 2:15 PM

The number of new cases in China is declining, which will hopefully be the case in the USA in the near future (ie. 6-8 weeks). Rest assured that the US has the best facilities and manpower in the world to address this rapidly unfolding pandemic. Nobody is close to our capabilities.

You can't trust numbers coming out of an authoritarian regime like China. Their government has no credibility whatsoever.

I hope you are right about manpower and facilities. I think larger metro areas could easily be overwhelmed. Especially top 10 largest US cities.

https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

Big paper is behind this whole thing

Mar 14, 2020, 2:21 PM

Sales on toilet paper and the like are through the roof!

seriously, TP.......really?***

Mar 14, 2020, 2:30 PM

Go old school Arabian... You need to wash your hands, so...***

Mar 14, 2020, 9:15 PM

Mar 14, 2020, 2:32 PM

Outstanding summary and advice. I wish everyone of the talking heads on TV would read this a report accurately.

Thanks!

Are you saying that Covid-19 is not a made up hoax?

Mar 14, 2020, 2:44 PM

:)

I still see people claiming that this is no worse than the flu, and the crisis is manufactured to hurt Trump.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thank you. One minor correction...

Mar 14, 2020, 3:21 PM

Disinfecting wipes are meant for hard non porous surfaces and require a contact time.

Best to wash hands, physically wipe hands dry with a single use dry wipe. If possible use an alcohol based hand sanitizer or other ingredient if not available.

Using rubbing alcohol with 70%, will do, but will start to dry your skin.

Use the disinfecting wipes on high touch areas paying attention to contact times for the “human coronavirus virus kill claim”. Surface needs to be wet to do the job!

Thanks!

I’m a product manager in healthcare and just shining a light on an oft overlooked important detail for infection prevention. Be safe all. Go Tigers!

Thanks for this..probably the most intelligent post I've

Mar 15, 2020, 2:56 AM

seen on here.

Re: Thank you. One minor correction...

Mar 15, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Thank you. One minor correction... ]

I wanna do like Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes movie after autopsying the corpse: liberally dose my hands with alcohol and then light them on fire for several seconds. I'm just trying to imagine how that would go over at work! :)

Mar 14, 2020, 3:58 PM

"Coronavirus is a respiratory illness spread through droplets, from a cough or sneeze, to someone else’s nose or eyes directly or from a surface contaminated by an infected person."

There is evidence to suggest it can be transmitted through breathing alone, even from asymptomatic patients.

"Remember that 80% of people with the virus will recover without issues; 14% of the affected will experience severe disease and 5% will be critically ill. The overall death rate is between 1-3.4%."

I'd love to see your source for this data. If it's Chinese data it is suspect. If it's from elsewhere, I'd say it's too early tp truly know if that data is correct. There hasn't been much testing on asymptomatic people to back up these numbers. The Johns Hopkins coronavirus tracker is showing different results....
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

"The most severe cases occur in the over 60 age group and especially people with underlying health issues, such as COPD or other underlying lung disease, heart disease, immune suppression for any reason (to include chemo or radiation therapy), smoking history, diabetes, people without pneumo-vax vaccinations ( 2 are required) for pneumococcal pneumonia. Health care workers are especially at risk."

So, can I infer that if people over 60 with underlying health issues are having the most severe cases, and Healthcare workers are esp at risk, are most Healthcare workers over 60 with health issues? We need younger people working in hospitals, I guess.

"Dining out:...."

Seems like roulette with all the asymptomatic carriers- unless you wear a respirator, and then it's kind of hard to eat.

"The number of new cases in China is declining"

Because they shut down sections of the country. What will happen when they send all these people back to work? Might ramp up again.

"**** The Chinese GOVERNMENT did monumental damage to the world by keeping their epidemic under wraps, avoiding transparency and even refusing US help before the virus EXPLODED EXPONENTIALLY."

I completely agree.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ Are you a doctor?

Mar 14, 2020, 8:39 PM

Kinda curious...

Re: ^^ Are you a doctor?

Mar 15, 2020, 8:11 AM

Yes. Internal Medicine.

Mar 16, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to ^^ Are you a doctor? ]

MD honors graduate of my medical school. Hope this helps. :)

Mar 16, 2020, 10:42 PM

It helps us know you are trying too hard.

Mar 17, 2020, 6:21 PM

THen disregard my post. On your own.

Should have left the BS politics out of this fustercluck...

Mar 14, 2020, 8:53 PM

Testing has been abysmal... Who's responsible for that? Don't give me this CDC regulations BS...

Adapt and overcome...

Actually, you should try to convince the politicians to

Mar 14, 2020, 10:21 PM

keep the politics out of it.

(And good luck with that.)

Mar 14, 2020, 11:20 PM

You blew your cover when you said “liberal media”, good job copying & pasting information from the web. You’re no more a doctor than Trump

"......Maintain routines......" so who has done that?***

Mar 14, 2020, 11:24 PM

Mar 14, 2020, 11:49 PM

Libtards ain't gonna like this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you believe the Virus has been in the US longer than we

Mar 15, 2020, 1:22 AM

think?

I would not be surprised if I didn't contract this thing in November.

I was in a 4 day work retreat, in close quarters with 50-60 other people with whom some travel to China & Vietnam regularly for work to visit their factories, or, work directly with folks who travel there frequently.

At the end of that week, I was hit with what I thought was the worst flu known to man. Went from feeling blah, to a fever, chills and shakes (...unlike anything I ever had) within half a day. As the lord as my witness, I can't remember having a flu last more than 48 hours my whole life (I'm 44) and this thing had me aching like I've never had. I was in the bed for 7-8 days.

I never went to the Dr (didn't know about Tamiflu, and that you had to get it within 48 hours at the time) and decided to wait it out. Finally, on day 6 my fever broke. It was another few days before I still had energy to move around.

On day 8, I was exhausted, but tried to walk my dog and only made it 75 yards and was out of breathe. Side Note, I've been a runner my whole life, and have run 14:00 for 5k, 29:00 for 10k and 2:29 for a marathon. This was some scary territory for me b/c and I've never struggled for getting air, or, feeling so exhausted.

It was around Day 7-8 the coughing started. Over counter medicine did nothing, and I tried all of it.

While I slowly started to feel better over the coming 3-4 weeks, the cough never subsided, even with a round of antibiotics.

6 weeks later, I woke up Christmas day with a 102 fever. Went to the Dr and they said I must have a bronchial Broncitis as I was struggling with breathing and that would explain the coughing. They prescribed antibitoics and Promethazine w/ codeine. I would learn over the next 6 days there was massive shortage on Promethazine w/ codeine. All the pharmacist I spoke to told me they couldn't keep up with demand and people were on waiting list. I would finally find some at a small pharmacy after 6 days of calling around.

Finally, after 10 weeks I got rid of the cough.

From the retreat, only 2 women got sick, but about 40% of the men did. It seemed the older men struggled more than the younger guys. My fiancé eventually got it from me. I made her go get tamiflu within 6-8 hours of feeling bad, and she was fine 4 days later (like she never had it) and she never developed a cough (so I took her antibiotics for a cough they gave her just in case she developed one).

My gut tells me this has been in the US longer than we realize, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I didn't already have it back in mid/late November.

Re: Do you believe the Virus has been in the US longer than we

Mar 15, 2020, 2:13 AM

Most likely you had the regular flu, Type A or B. The fact she got better on Tamiflu is a strong indicator that is was the flu. There isn’t currently an antiviral that works for Covid-19.
Your description is pretty typical of a nasty case of the flu. Flu kills a lot of people every year and your prior experience of 48 hour flus is not the norm. Being feverish and very sick for 7-10 days is typical of the flu. The cough can linger for months. Glad you are finally better.

That's what happens when you get older

Mar 15, 2020, 2:54 AM [ in reply to Do you believe the Virus has been in the US longer than we ]

the flu knocks you out for 2 weeks instead of 2 days. I won't ever miss the flu shot again.

Re: Do you believe the Virus has been in the US longer than we

Mar 15, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Do you believe the Virus has been in the US longer than we ]

Another doc here: sounds like you probably had the flu followed by pneumonia. COVID-19 tends to elicit coughing and lower respiratory distress more quickly in the disease progression than influenza. Especially since you’re a disciplined exerciser, your awareness and sensitivity to late-emerging shortness of breath would dissuade a diagnosis of coronavirus.

But never say never! Sounds terrible, man.

GO TIGERS

Mar 15, 2020, 2:24 AM

Thank you for your time to write this. I know I appreciate it.

Mar 15, 2020, 10:12 AM

OP, very informative, thank you. But unfortunate that you have to even mention “...... liberal media attempt to discredit the response by the Trump administration.....”. Why should we treat DJT w kid gloves? His leadership has been weak and late. Im not referring to op eds and the editorial page, I think we all understand the difference. I’m talking about a news article that conveys we have tested no more than 53 people in Georgia prior to this past Friday. Weak! Do you want to blame that on liberal media? Or weak response by CDC, US Gov, White House, et al? It’s your call, but don’t imply that the media is liberal or out of line for presenting facts.
Much of the histeria has been driven by financial markets. Traders and others in the financial markets are paid lots of dough to process info and assess risk. Right now, and until the number cases in the US generally flatlines, there are too many unknowns surrounding this coronavirus situation. Hence traders will keep pummeling the markets and we’ll likely see continued volatility and overall downward trend in markets, thus driving more histeria outside the markets. Again the markets likely continue in this format until the number cases genarally flatlines, thus removing large chunk of uncertainty. Don’t blame this on “liberal media”. And don’t blame Wall Street, their banking on data, not op eds or subjective articles from left or right. And don’t blame this on me being negative about Trump, etc. That’s weak and getting very old. We have the brain power to assess info and make judgements. We are Americans, left, right, center and then some added nut cases, but all Americans. And fortunately living with a free press and independent financial markets. I don’t dislike DJT, but he’s clearly out of his league w this task.

Mar 15, 2020, 11:06 AM

"... Much of the histeria has been driven by financial markets...

...I don’t dislike DJT, but he’s clearly out of his league w this task...."

Two thoughts on this-

1. Hysteria is driven more by fear of the virus than anything else.

2. ANY president would be in a no win situation with this. His "performance" will be seen through the eyes of people who ether hate him or support him- and these opinions will paint how they perceive him. Truth is, there isn't much a politician can do except enact measures to slow the disease through limiting interactions between people- very tough to do in a "free" society.

You! Stop right now!

Mar 15, 2020, 11:26 AM

Cease! Desist!
You are being anti-hysterical and
Anti-political!

Neither are acceptable.

Be gone with yourself!

;)

Mar 15, 2020, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Didn’t the libs say he was overreacting 3 weeks ago ??? You keep watching cnn

Mar 15, 2020, 12:22 PM

No, the "libs" did not say he was overreacting 3 weeks ago.

Mar 15, 2020, 11:55 AM

Lots of physicians out there, few specialized in areas relating to viral transmission and specifically the nature of this particular virus.

I listened to a leading expert on this specific field who counters a lot of what you posted, specially around the hands and touching your face. Says all of that has very little impact on getting the virus, it about breathing in air with the virus by being near somehow who has expelled the particulates.

Mar 15, 2020, 11:59 AM

I am in this camp as well. Washing hands is always a good idea, but about as useful to stop the spread of this virus as "duck and cover" was to save school kids from nuclear blasts.

Mar 15, 2020, 12:19 PM

Ok tell us what to do

Mar 15, 2020, 1:06 PM

What's best for you personally, or society as a whole?

Mar 15, 2020, 12:07 PM

Thanks MiuraTiger! Very sound advice in plain English using your education, common sense and plain old logic.

Mar 15, 2020, 1:05 PM

I want to know who the idiot was that thumbed down this post.....pathetic excuse for a human being if there every was one......Go Tigers!!!!

Mar 16, 2020, 2:47 PM

Had to be one of the Trump haters on here.

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Mar 15, 2020, 7:24 PM

Thank you for taking time to inform TIgerNet about the COVID19. I was not aware of some of the information you provided.

Hopefully with all of the precautions taken deaths will be very low. Even better hopefully no one else will pass away from the illness or become infected.

Mar 15, 2020, 8:59 PM

If there's anyone we should direct our anger to, it is the Chinese. There better be an economic or political (I'd prefer military) reckoning with them when all of this is over.

Shouldn't it be recommended to get outside? Get some fresh

Mar 15, 2020, 9:40 PM

air? Put the phone and tablet down. Go for a hike.

Being cooped up all day and everyday for the next few weeks is not my idea of fun. Go outside, wash your !@#%^% hands!

We have friends in Spain. They are on lockdown. no one out

Mar 15, 2020, 9:41 PM

side.

Re: Shouldn't it be recommended to get outside? Get some fresh

Mar 16, 2020, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Shouldn't it be recommended to get outside? Get some fresh ]

Wash your hands and hold your breath.

Mar 16, 2020, 11:24 AM

Because you're a physician, I appreciate your clinical viewpoint, it's very helpful.

But as you know, physicians have no greater grasp of non-clinical issues than anyone else. Your suggestion "especially when the liberal media attempt to discredit the response by the Trump administration for political gain, stoking fear and confusion" is way off base.

In fact, the Chinese govt. published the genome for Covid-19 on Jan. 11. 3 weeks later a lab in Berlin developed an effective test for the virus which forwarded it to the W.H.O. Which offered it to 60 countries. The CDC declined the test, preferring to develop it's own.

This was a horrific decision. The CDC developed its own test with a flawed reagent that made it useless. Meanwhile, time was ticking on a problem The Washington Post first reported on Jan. 8th.

The Trump Administration had arbitrarily disbanded the Pandemic Task Force within the Administration that was put in place in response to the Ebola outbreak of 2014 by the Obama Administration in April of 2018. This task force was specifically designed to identify outbreaks worldwide and any possible danger it posed to the U.S.. Further, the Trump administration cut the CDC budget and imposed a hiring freeze. As of Feb. 1, 2020, there were/are 700 unfilled positions at the CDC.

Because of the CDC's failure to develop and distribute a viable test, the FDA waived restrictions and encouraged Hospitals and laboratories to try to develop a test for Covid-19.

Meanwhile, this administration lied about the potential danger and continued to tell our people that "this will go away, there only 15 cases, we have it all under control and our response was perfect."

Meanwhile, because of inadequate testing, preparation and commitment of resources the virus is now in 49 states. We have no idea who has it, where they are or how many others they've infected.

The liberal media has nothing to do with the closing of schools and public places or the decline of the stock market. It is the uncertainty created by an inadequate and dishonest response to this monumental crisis by this administration driven by Trump's desire to diminish the problem, prop up the stock market to help assure his reelection.

Cutting the federal lending rate to Wall St. to 0% yesterday in no way helps Americans who are now or will be out of work, nor the children who depend on reduce cost food at schools.

Congratulations on being a physician. I'm retired from Healthcare, having run a practice with 79 doctors. You know, though most don't, that some physicians can by great clinicians but are personally batshit crazy. You've seen it and I've seen it because I've fired a few.

No offense, but don't try to use you're credentials to inflate and impose your false political narrative on the rest of us.

You eloquently and absolutely NAILED it Felix2®***

Mar 16, 2020, 2:43 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the source of the virus

Mar 16, 2020, 3:20 PM

Is lauded for their containment efforts...well...that's some screwiness there.

Mar 16, 2020, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Here is at least one person who says that trump didn't dissolve the Pandemic Response office. However he probably doesn't know what he is talking about. He was only in charge of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

Mar 16, 2020, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

The MSM and the Dems did indeed egregiously incite fear and panic into the equation (to score political points, something they routinely do). It was entirely appropriate to call them out on it in my post, if for nothing more than calling attention to unAmerican behavior during a crisis. The psyche of America is quite fragile right now and their comments and attacks only added unnecessary stress to the situation. They should be ashamed. I hope you would agree?

My post was minimally political at best. I guess you're pretty much into nit-picking? Good for you.

I presume there is nothing that Trump has done that you would ever approve of? I sense advanced TDS. BTW, Trump had nothing to do with the Fed lending rate, but thnx for the cheap shot. It's what the left does best. Be proud.

How would you critique Obama's swine flu response? Or better yet, his lie-laced roll out of ObamaCare? I'm sure your physicians were thrilled to death with that fiasco, which still haunts us, and especially the Democrat party.

Out of China:Protocol for Covid-19 =REDUCE ILLNESS by 50%

Mar 17, 2020, 2:48 AM

I am NOT a physician. I am a disabled microbiologist who spends his time reading medical journal and scientific articles...

The virus is controlled with zinc. Zinc is present in our blood. However, it requires a pathway to
act on the virus. Chloroquinine phosphate, an anti-malaria drug, provides a pathway.

1.) Chloroquinine phosphate, 500mg, taken twice a day. (Ask your physician to prescribe
#10.) All meds can have adverse reactions. This med is generally well tolerated.

2.) Supplementation might be helpful. One Zinc gluconate tablet slowly dissolved in the mouth every 2 hours can hasten recovery. (NOTE: Swallowing the tablets has absolutely no affect. )

NOTE: There has not been time to conduct double blind studies on this protocol. If a physician requires it be published in the "New England Journal of Medicine," anecdotal information will not be satisfactory. IMO, there is much to be gained and very little to lose. I would certainly mention it to an elderly friend with the virus. =FWIW

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

STANFORD: An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Mar 17, 2020, 7:56 PM

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Presented by: James M. Todaro, MD (Columbia MD, jtodaro2@gmail.com) and Gregory J. Rigano, Esq. (grigano1@jhu.edu)
In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.

"Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected
with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay.
US CDC research shows that chloroquine also has strong potential as
a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus..."

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: As a physician I offer this COVID-19 basic summary ]

Get away from the fake news MSM and you'll sound more credible. Nice try, though.

1) https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/17/joe-biden-lies-about-coronavirus-testing-to-make-trump-look-bad/

2) https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/03/17/no_the_white_house_didnt_dissolve_its_pandemic_response_office_142683.html

Mar 16, 2020, 8:07 PM

Thank you for the update.

Can we hear more about your Miura?***

Mar 17, 2020, 8:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2020, 8:27 PM

This was a terrific post until you a-wholes on both sides started with the political BS. Geeze people.

Replies: 137
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic