Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As a child, what was the best/most memorable Christmas gift you ever received?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

As a child, what was the best/most memorable Christmas gift you ever received?

Dec 21, 2015, 4:50 PM

I remember in elementary school one year all I wanted was a Sega Genesis.

I was a good boy, did well in school, didn't ask for anything else. I sure was hoping I did enough to get it.

Then I woke up early Christmas morning and ran into the living room where my parents were waiting for me. They both say "Merry Christmas! Here's your gift! Hope you like it!" They point and lead me to a table they set up with a basket of fruit on top of it and nothing else. I responded "Oh... fruit... OK... thanks?" My dad says "You're welcome! Oh, wait. I think there might be something else for you..." and pulls out a Sega Genesis that was hiding behind the table. "Think this is yours, too."

So that was one Christmas I'll always remember.

T-Netters, what was the best/worst/most memorable Christmas gift you ever received when you were a child? Or share a funny story about a gift you got your child, grandchild, etc.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE AND GOD BLESS!

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a child, what was the best/most memorable Christmas gift you ever received?

Dec 21, 2015, 5:02 PM

Christmas 1971. I got a 1972 Yamaha JT-2 Mini Enduro. Been riding motorcycles ever since.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a child, what was the best/most memorable Christmas gift you ever received?

Dec 21, 2015, 5:12 PM

Similar story. I wanted the 1973 Yamaha 80, black and silver. I later got a Mini Trail and have been riding Triumph Bonnevilles since 1986.

Dec 21, 2015, 5:43 PM
150301-01-2.JPG(650.5 K)

I got the 1973 GT-1 80 the next Christmas. Next was a 1973 LT-3 100. In 1974, my family bought the Suzuki dealership so I switched brands and went to a Suzuki TM125. We later added KTM (Penton, back then), Husqvarna and finally, Kawasaki. I have had a LOT of bikes in my day, but that first one was, and still is, special. We sold the business in 1998, and now I am back on the brand that I started with, a Yamaha YZ250 w/a 265 big bore kit. Motorcycles have given me many. many, many great times (and a few bad ones), but I have passed down the love for the sport to both of my boys. Attached is a picture of the three of us ready to race together earlier this year. Not many people in their 50s can say they still enjoy playing games with their kids, but I can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2015, 9:25 AM
DSCN8872.JPG(171.0 K)

Great sport to pass down. I am the next generation to receive the love of riding. My dad bought a an Indian in the early 50s. On his way home, he dropped it crossing the RR tracks in front of my grandmom's. He said he wasn't sure which hurt worse - the wreck or my grandmom laying into him for buying "such a fool thing."

I then rode pillion on his Triumph T120s in the early 1970s. He had two but quit trying to keep them after both were stolen.

I was on Yams through the 70s. Dirt bikes. A YZ125 before a 250. For a couple of years in the early 80s I was without. But in 1984, I wanted to return to bikes, this time street. I looked at and almost bought a 1969 Triumph Trident with original aquamarine paint. It was too tall for me so I passed on what is now a collector's bike. I bought a Honda Nighthawk and rode it all over SC and once to Pa to see a girlfriend.

But since I've ridden Triumphs: two Triumph T140s and this year a 2011 Bonneville SE. I'm in my 50s as well. Although my dad has passed on and I've restored his 1973 Bonnie, kicking those monsters is getting to be a challenge.

Keep 'em upright. Hope you and your boys can enjoy the sport for years to come.

Arco bushwacker mini bike

Dec 21, 2015, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: As a child, what was the best/most memorable Christmas gift you ever received? ]

I was in the 6th grade when I got this for Christmas...1970

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Re: Arco bushwacker mini bike

Dec 21, 2015, 6:01 PM

A green machine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 6:04 PM

Mine was red

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Dec 21, 2015, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Arco bushwacker mini bike ]

Robertson you even thumbs down a green machine. How long you gonna do this for?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loved my Green Machine...way better than

Dec 21, 2015, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Arco bushwacker mini bike ]

the Big Wheel

+1

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 5:10 PM

Memorable. Most were now, and the reason is, I suppose, is that most folk in those wonderful Christmases have already gone on to better Christmases.

But your question probably wasn't asking for that. I remember one year getting out of bed and checking the living room to see if we had had a visit from Ol' St. Nick. After carefully creeping down the stairs, I peeked - nothing. Couldn't see any difference in the furniture, etc

5 a.m. I sneaked down the stairs again. Peeeeked around the corner - nothing. "Maybe Santa really does see you all year 'round," I thought. Not good.

5:30 a.m. This isn't looking good.

6 a.m. Maybe we're last on the schedule.

6:20ish or so, one last try. I descend all of the steps and enter the living room, still under the cover of darkness. I bumped into what would turn out to be my sister's bicycle! He came to our house after all!

Talk about relief. I really hadn't had my best year that year, either. I knew he still watched. I just though the felt sorry for me since my siblings had apparently been angels judging by the piles of toys. Maybe he doesn't see everything. Hmm.

But the toy I most remember looking forward to and receiving for Christmas some may not have ever heard of. It was called a Vertebird. It was a little battery-powered helicopter that came with an Apollo-type space capsule and astronaut that you attempted to retrieve using the helicopter.

Anyway, that was it. Merry Christmas to all.

I remember Vertebirds. Hadn't thought about it in decades!***

Dec 21, 2015, 9:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I loved that toy! Looking them up...

Dec 22, 2015, 9:28 AM

I discovered there were a lot of variations: police copter, Coast Guard, Star Wars, Spiderman, and on and on. They were great fun!

tickets to the old Poinsettia Classic

Dec 21, 2015, 5:25 PM

held in the Greenville Mem. Auditorium, Clemson was a frequent participant and my folks would get me tickets to both days.....it was great! Of course, much of my free time in those days was spent at Fike watching practice or games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remington 1100 12 Gauge - on my 12th.

Dec 21, 2015, 6:05 PM

many many many birds with that one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A bike one year and a pullet rifle

Dec 21, 2015, 6:08 PM

I was the $hit! That year.
GO TIGERS!!!

Re: A bike one year and a pullet rifle

Dec 21, 2015, 6:14 PM

I used my rifles to shoot 'pullets' too!!

Dec 21, 2015, 6:07 PM

My grandfather gave me a Stevens Model 59A .410 shotgun when I was ten. Kept it a long time until it was stolen on a b/e at our house in 1976.

Savage 20 gauge double barrel at 13 years old! Best Dove gun

Dec 21, 2015, 6:12 PM

I ever owned!

Re: Savage 20 gauge double barrel at 13 years old! Best Dove gun

Dec 21, 2015, 6:44 PM

mine is a fox model B double trigger 16 gaguge. Only thing its getting tough to find shells

X-Wing figther and a Huffy Thunder Road in one

Dec 21, 2015, 6:23 PM

Christmas in the late 70's.

Having lost both my parents,

Dec 21, 2015, 6:29 PM

no particular present stands out. Rather, tons of memories about family at Christmas with parents, grandparents, brothers, and all. In addition to the real reason for Christmas, to me it's all about family. Now that we're retired, we'll be spending this Christmas with both of our kids for the first time in forever. I'm really looking forward to that.

Merry Christmas, Tigernet!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Having lost both my parents,

Dec 21, 2015, 9:49 PM

Merry Christmas, TigerHawk! We're having Christmas with our kids, too. The last few years have been rough, and it finally feels like Christmas this year.

(BTW, I got a baby brother for Christmas one year.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 ga when I was 13

Dec 21, 2015, 6:29 PM

I own many shotguns now and that one is still my favorite. My nine year old has asked Santa for one thing this year, a Ruger 10/22, I think Dad might be more anxious for Christmas to get here than he is.

Schwinn Predator

Dec 21, 2015, 6:32 PM
image.jpeg(87.3 K)

Circa 1983

Re: Schwinn Predator

Dec 21, 2015, 7:27 PM

> Circa 1983

Yes! I still have my 1987 GT Performer!

photo 20151202_175028_zpshokysr12.jpg

photo 20151202_175209_zpsjxhd6cqx.jpg

Re: Schwinn Predator

Dec 21, 2015, 9:45 PM

Nice!

Grandma would make chocolate chip cookies. Amazing.

Dec 21, 2015, 6:52 PM

She would make the best I have ever had to this day. It's a lost art it seems. They would come in a big coffee tin can.

Bop-A-Bear, by Marx

Dec 21, 2015, 7:08 PM

By far the coolest present of the year 1964. Sadly, after a few months, it quit spinning when you shot it and fell victim to unauthorized experiment.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2015, 7:18 PM

Christmas Morning 1987..... got my Powell Peralta Lance Mountain Future Primative Skateboard

photo LanceMountainChristmas.jpg

Red Ryder BB gun***

Dec 21, 2015, 7:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Red Ryder BB gun***

Dec 21, 2015, 7:47 PM

YOU'LL SHOOT YER EYE OUT, KID!

i got a "dune cat", little dune buggy thingy.

Dec 21, 2015, 7:33 PM

kinda like a go cart, just MUCH cooler.
fun for all. especially when it snowed.

merry christmas, happy holidays, everyone!!!!

and GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Browning Auto 5 when I was 13.

Dec 21, 2015, 8:25 PM

Dad couldn't afford 2, so I had to share with my twin brother. Still have it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Sweet 16?***

Dec 22, 2015, 9:30 AM

ROH

Dec 21, 2015, 8:30 PM

I'm definitely younger than most of you. But my most memorable Christmas, I remember thinking I wouldn't get much. My parents had been struggling financially, and I knew I wouldn't get a new Xbox. (original) On Christmas morning I unwrapped my gifts, it was mostly shirts and simple things. I was content with what I had. Everyone else unwrapped there's and I assumed that was it. But then my dad points over behind the tree to a black bag. I think that one over there is yours. I go open it up and sure enough it was a Xbox. I don't know how they did it to this day, but they got me an Xbox.

Dec 21, 2015, 8:35 PM

Nice I got the original Nintendo 3 years after it was cool. My freakin parents man.

Dallas Cowboys helmet. I was always Charlie Waters !***

Dec 21, 2015, 9:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Santa Claus" knew how early I woke up on Christmas

Dec 21, 2015, 11:05 PM

morns, so when I snuck into the living room about four a.m., he had already been there and left a shiny Schwinn bike, painted blue with balloon tires and a front basket.

I was only eight; it was 1955, and I rode that bike until about age 15. It was the only one I ever owned, and I miss it even to this day.

Re: "Santa Claus" knew how early I woke up on Christmas

Dec 22, 2015, 4:54 PM

Boy, you must have really been tired if you rode it that long! Whatever happened to it?

Dec 21, 2015, 11:08 PM

Star Wars blaster . Like Han Solo carried . It made me cry when it broke .

DB23

A green banana bike***

Dec 21, 2015, 11:21 PM

atari 2600. Bonus was a 13"b&w tv to play it on.

Dec 22, 2015, 9:38 AM

Still have the Atari.

I remember the one I didn't get and

Dec 22, 2015, 9:41 AM

I'm still bitter....a Barbie corvette.... My Mama thought I needed a sewing machine more...go figure....

Tin Can Alley electronic target range

Dec 22, 2015, 9:41 AM

Either that, or the zip line I got the last time zip lines were cool...in the late 70's. No safety straps, nets, etc- just two handles that you held onto for dear life!

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic