Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Terry Don Phillips on ACC expansion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Football Update: Terry Don Phillips on ACC expansion

Sep 18, 2011, 4:40 PM

Terry Don Phillips on ACC expansion

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.. good move for BASKETBALL.

Sep 18, 2011, 4:47 PM

ugh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Pitt has quite a richer football history then us...

Sep 18, 2011, 5:02 PM

Cuse doesn't have that bad a football history either..

This also opens the door for FOOTBALL recruiting in two football rich states for the ACC

Re: Exactly.. good move for BASKETBALL.

Sep 18, 2011, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Exactly.. good move for BASKETBALL. ]

we must deal with the fact the ACC caters to DUKE and Carolina and to basketball. this is not and never will be a football conference.

Re: Football Update: Terry Don Phillips on ACC expansion

Sep 18, 2011, 4:56 PM

NY television market for college sports is no big deal and no great exposure for the ACC. NY is all about pro sports. Pa. as a whole, outside of Pittsburg, could care less about Pitt. Pa is all about Penn State, and Pitt is an after thought. I don't see the attraction of these two schools adding any tv exposure.

ND, WVU, TCU, USF,PSU, Texas, would be much better. Looks like Clemson wants to be in the Ivy league.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, these are weak additions***

Sep 18, 2011, 5:25 PM

Ivy League? We wish.***

Sep 18, 2011, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Terry Don Phillips on ACC expansion ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2011, 6:17 PM

Even if you look at Pittsburg and Syracuse as basketball,rather than football,ACC expansion will probably not stop at 14 teams.The idea of the Super Conference is to have 16 teams.That could,and imo,should open the door for West Virginia,possibly USF,maybe even TCU if the Big East folds.
There seems to be a lot of discussion about expansion.Some of it is relevant,some wishful thinking and some pure hogwash.Stay tuned.

Army, Harvard, Yale, Princeton have been football champions

Sep 18, 2011, 6:28 PM

But that's ancient history. Syracuse has been awful at football forever. Pitt has been mediocre forever. Pitt is a small school that has a small fanbase. Most people in PA don't care about Pitt. And since Joe Paterno whimped out of the annual Penn State-Pitt football rivalry game many years ago, most PA residents don't even hate Pitt enough tune-in and root for them to lose. Nobody in NY cares about Syracuse football-- not even Syracuse grads.

Swoffie is so incompetent.

Add Clemson to that list. 1981? Is that yesterday?***

Sep 18, 2011, 7:03 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Army, Harvard, Yale, Princeton have been football champions

Sep 18, 2011, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Army, Harvard, Yale, Princeton have been football champions ]

This is wrong in so many ways I can't begin to respond. Pittsburgh is a small school with a small fanbase??? Haven't checked on the latest enrollment but I know that 10 years ago enrollment was slightly over 60,000 students; I doubt that it has shrunk significantly. You must be thinking of Pittsburg KS not Pittsburgh, PA.

Pitt has claimed nine National Championships, and is among the top 20 college football programs in terms of all-time wins---OK the last Championship was five years before Clemson won. Opinions are fine but it is better when they are r/t facts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pitt has 18,000+ undergrad and 28,000+ total students***

Sep 18, 2011, 11:13 PM

Re: Pitt has 18,000+ undergrad and 28,000+ total students***

Sep 19, 2011, 8:54 AM

I stand corrected and you have provided the on-campus enrollment. According to the 2011 U. of Pitt data set, the total enrollment is 36,754. Using either number the point remains that Pitt is not a small school; nor is it without football history. Yes, I know YOU did not say that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pitt is smaller than all but 1 Big Ten school, all but 4 SEC

Sep 19, 2011, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Army, Harvard, Yale, Princeton have been football champions ]

Pitt: 18k undergrad. Penn State: 39k undergrad.

Pitt would rank 6th in the ACC for undergrad, but in case nobody noticed, the ACC hasn't exactly been the gold standard in football or TV contracts.

Pitt's average football attendance is 52k (out of 65k seats). (FYI: Penn State: 104k. Clemson: 77k.)

You claim to like facts but you claim that Pitt's enrollment was 60k. That's funny.

The smart Pac-12 commissioner is going after a big (39k undergrad) football school with a rabid football fanbase, like University of Texas. Swoffie took Pitt.

That's my opinion backed by facts.

That's not true about Pitt

Sep 18, 2011, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Army, Harvard, Yale, Princeton have been football champions ]

I have a very large family and almost all live in Pittsburgh (please take note it's spelled with an H) and aside from a couple of Penn St defects, most everyone are Pitt fans and Pitt athletics are a big deal to them and their friends. I've had many banters about the ACC vs Big East over some beers in my day. I'm glad to see this happen!

Pitt avg attendance 52k (out of 63k seats). Penn St: 104k.

Sep 19, 2011, 12:33 PM

It's nice that you have the anecdotal evidence that your family cheers for Pitt. But relatively speaking, Pitt football doesn't have a big following in PA. Pitt's football attendance averages 52k (out of 63k seats). The Steelers sell-out. Penn State's average attendance is 104k and it's VERY hard to get tickets.

That's like saying GT doesn't have a following b/c

Sep 19, 2011, 2:10 PM

UGA's attendance dwarfs it. Pitt does just fine with their support.

Re: That's like saying GT doesn't have a following b/c

Sep 19, 2011, 2:49 PM

GT means as little in Atlanta as Pitt does in Pittsburgh, they're pro sports towns. Yes both have passionate fan bases, but those fan bases are VERY small. Georgia fans probably outnumber GT fans in the state 10-1, and Penn State fans probably outnumber Pitt Fans 20-1 in the state of Pennsylvania.

Not according to the NY Times***

Sep 19, 2011, 5:34 PM

According to NYT, PSU:Pitt fans, 3:1. Pitt below ACC avg.

Sep 20, 2011, 12:31 PM

Syracuse is also below the ACC average. Aim low.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nyt/rss/Sports+(NYT+%3E+Sports)&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimessports

Pitt is not small - 28,000 students; 18,000 undergrads.***

Sep 19, 2011, 1:02 AM [ in reply to Army, Harvard, Yale, Princeton have been football champions ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

razz is a ####.***

Sep 19, 2011, 1:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Others make adult counterpoints. DSP makes juvenile insults***

Sep 19, 2011, 12:35 PM

i didn't want to confuse you with the english language again

Sep 19, 2011, 1:08 PM

you're the one that thinks because you whine like a school girl, which you do, it means you dress like one too.

didn't know that about you razz, but rock that skirt anyway you like it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2011, 6:50 PM

This is confirmation that the ACC officials are conceding football to the SEC. No other reason to add either of these schools.
The ONLY good news is that this may keep Brownell here a few more years.
All the other sports will be "dumbed down" with these additions. Guess we will have to start a lacrosse program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These are GOOD additions

Sep 18, 2011, 10:00 PM

Pitt

9 National Championships in its Football history. A great research institution with a $2+ Billion endowment. The school is very good academically. As for athletics, by joining the ACC more money will be pumped into their program. Pitt will bring a Big Ten style of play which will only make our conference tougher (physically). As for TV market, yes that will allow for us to get a better deal when negotiating our TV contracts.

Syracuse
1 National title in Football history. This is about basketball and the NY market. People who think NY only cares about pro are wrong. The majority do, but even a minority is still millions of people. This is great for the TV contracts.

VTech came in and was committed to improve on all of their sports. People whined about their football (saying only Vick made them good) and really complained about their basketball. VT basketball is much better, not great, but far better then when they entered. Football improved and became consistent. All of this because of the school being committed to athletics. It's the same for Pitt and Syracuse (although a stepper climb for Syracuse in football).

If you think these are bad additions, then you really are missing the big picture.

Re: These are GOOD additions

Sep 18, 2011, 11:02 PM

Think about Saturdays game and how exciting it was. Now think about the Orangemen or Panthers coming to town. This is a terrible mistake bringing in these two teams. I would rather loose to a true football power then beat a crappy team from the north.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I get your argument

Sep 19, 2011, 12:31 AM

Auburn to the ACC would be awesome.

What top football program is available? WVu - I would never call a power house.

If Pitt or Syracuse were the defending national champs, I'd be pretty excited.

Re: Not sure I get your argument

Sep 19, 2011, 8:55 AM

But they're not, and they won't be anytime in the near forseeable future.

Army has more national championships that I even know and not a single person wants to see them in the ACC. I don't care what they did decades ago, all I see is the recent past and the probability of being huge in the future. Right now my magic eight ball is saying "doubtful" on Pitt being a power any time soon.

Pitt will bring a Big Ten style of play? More like Big East

Sep 19, 2011, 12:46 PM [ in reply to These are GOOD additions ]

Pitt isn't bad, but if you think Pitt will bring a Big Ten style of play to football, you haven't been watching Pitt play for the last several years. I have.

Syracuse is a football bottom feeder of the Big East-- which is the perennially the weakeast of the AQ conferences. Their average football attendance is 40k (out of 49k perfect indoor seats) so I'm not sure what makes you think that they command a big TV market.

Pitt isn't a bad addition for football. Syracuse is a very bad addition.

Re: Pitt will bring a Big Ten style of play? More like Big East***

Sep 19, 2011, 1:45 PM

Class of '87

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic