Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we deeper at RB than WR this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,809

Are we deeper at RB than WR this year?

Aug 2, 2014, 12:06 PM

After Williams, Peake, Hump, we have a bunch of frosh with Scott looking like he's gong to hop Hopper on the depth chart.

I'm really excited about CJ Davidson who is now bigger than CJ Spiller. Gallman looks like Marcus Allen body wise and Choice looks like Ray Rice without the wife beating.

I'm thinking we really do become a run first team after the UGA game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Are we deeper at RB than WR this year?

Aug 2, 2014, 12:08 PM

we need to come up with nick names for these freshman.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a Marcus Allen reference/comparison..

Aug 2, 2014, 12:15 PM

don't see that everyday.

Aug 2, 2014, 12:17 PM

NO...... running back is going to be our big problem this year. That and finding a replacement for the CAT MAN.

Agree on CatMan, but the burden will be on the

Aug 2, 2014, 12:21 PM

offense to not force 50 yard FGs. I hear Lakip looks solid if you keep him in the 40 yards or less range. Too bad he hasn't been tested much yet.

Hopper looks like one of those disappointing guys

Aug 2, 2014, 12:23 PM

who never really takes it all very seriously. I had real high hopes for him because he had potential to use his speed, for example on returns. Even though coaches say he is coming around mentally, the fact that he is still so low in weight (175????? come on Hop) makes me think he isn't as dedicated as he needs to be.

Re: Hopper looks like one of those disappointing guys

Aug 2, 2014, 12:25 PM

That guy that torched us in the orange bowl, Tavon Austin, weighed about the same as hopper does now.

Not saying he can't be effective, just saying he isn't

Aug 2, 2014, 12:30 PM

following the coaches direction. Or at least it doesn't look like he's taking them seriously. I don't think Scott likes him at 175. It may be they are testing him to prove he's mentally committed now, too.

Which would be a shame, since we already know he has the

Aug 2, 2014, 12:34 PM

tools and ability to be a starter and contribute significantly, since he already has.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yep. But look at all the talent playing now and coming soon

Aug 2, 2014, 12:44 PM

that will pass him by unless he gets it together. I think last year was his true opportunity to prove his worth in the squad, but he was mediocre at best. Now he's got to compete with Williams/Peake in a way, and with Scott. I say "in a way" b/c I don't think Hopper ever has a chance to displace them. But more importantly with Kitt and Priester who are supposedly looking like beasts, he may be losing the battle for #2. Artavis is in that same group as Williams/Peake - Hopper will never beat him out.

That's why I keep thinking Hopper niche could be the returns.

Agree about the talent coming in and that G-Hop may have

Aug 2, 2014, 1:06 PM

missed his chance last year. My point is simply that G-Hop's problem seems to have been between his ears, which you have alluded to as well, and if he gets it together upstairs I think he's right back in the mix. People forget he was our second leading receiver last year through 5 games, behind only Sammy, and well on his way to having a great year. No reason to think he can't do that again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

We gave quality depth all over the field

Aug 2, 2014, 1:27 PM

At any position you have an injury you have a younger four star chomping at the bit for an opportunity.

This is the deepest team we have had in a long long time.

Six solid RB's I would say is very deep.

Eight solid WR's all four star or higher. We will probably need all of them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not saying he can't be effective, just saying he isn't

Aug 2, 2014, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Not saying he can't be effective, just saying he isn't ]

Doesn't look like he learned a thing from his suspension from Spring practice. I just don't see the work ethic there, but maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Re: Hopper looks like one of those disappointing guys

Aug 2, 2014, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Hopper looks like one of those disappointing guys ]

I agree. I don't think he's ever been on board with the program. A wasted talent IMHO. And at 170 to 175, he certainly hasn't been in the weight room---unlike the rest of the team. I expect zero from him.

Aug 2, 2014, 12:31 PM

I would not say that we are deeper... Remember Sammy came in ranked high and started his first season with a bang. A lot of these young WR are looking to make an immediate impact this season. The key to our offense will be balance. Yes we have nice depth at RB and can keep a defense honest now by running on 1st down. However, don't be surprised to see passes underneath to Humphries on 2nd down to keep chains moving.

Cole Stoudt will be the anchor for our offense this year much like Tajh Boyd was. He can run a faster tempo with the balanced offense which will wear out opposing defenses. We will need bear in mind that Stoudt does not go for the deep ball as often. In my opinion it will be a "DEATH BY 1,000 CUTS' scheme. 4 yards here, 5 yards there, and maybe a few 20 yard gains occasionally. I can see a much higher snap count than last year.

Folks who think that this offense is going to lose production had better think again, and if not then they have another thing coming to them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Considering that we often only have one RB on the field

Aug 2, 2014, 12:33 PM

while we may have four WRs, then yes we are probably deeper at RB.

While a couple of injuries at WR could leave us dependent upon some totally unproven, untested players, I think we will be fine barring that event. While it may not be optimal, we have recruited so well there that we may be fine even if we do sustain some injuries.

Honestly, I think we are good depth-wise at both positions, again, barring a freakish rash of injuries. Fingers crossed.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Considering that we often only have one RB on the field

Aug 2, 2014, 1:41 PM

Seems like we have a lot more size and speed at RB. My main worries are the OL and Peake staying healthy.

I won't be surprised if Morris lines up 2 backs more

Aug 2, 2014, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Considering that we often only have one RB on the field ]

this year. We may even see a good deal of Fleming in some FB like role keeping the runner and Stoudt protected. Didn't Morris admit something along those lines in a spring interview? Maybe it's just a mind trick I'm playing on myself.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,809
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic