Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we at the point where anything short of a national title
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Are we at the point where anything short of a national title

Oct 28, 2015, 9:21 PM

is a disappointing season?

I say yes

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's win the ACC first then talk playoffs and titles.***

Oct 28, 2015, 9:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Let's win the ACC first then talk playoffs and titles.***

Oct 28, 2015, 9:47 PM

Let's win Saturday first

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Amen! One game at a time.......FOCUS***

Oct 28, 2015, 11:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we at the point where anything short of a national title

Oct 28, 2015, 9:22 PM

ACC titles are always good, but otherwise yes.

probably what Iowa fans are saying right now.***

Oct 28, 2015, 9:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Not to me. Not yet. Still

Oct 28, 2015, 9:28 PM

A ways to go.

Re: Not to me. Not yet. Still- Agreed

Oct 28, 2015, 10:14 PM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really?

Oct 28, 2015, 9:30 PM

I'd say we're at the point where anything less than a final 4 berth is a disappointment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Only one team can win the NC...

Oct 28, 2015, 9:30 PM

I think anything short of a playoff appearance would be pretty disappointing though.

Oct 28, 2015, 9:31 PM

My how spoiled have we become. Let's beat ncsu next. Then fsu. Then Syracuse then........... .. .. .

Oct 29, 2015, 7:27 AM

I understand what you're saying, but one is an attitude and one is an expectation. You're correct that the mentality needs to be "one week at a time, each week is a one-game seasons, etc.". Absolutely. However, I don't think it's totally out of line at this point, seeing how the Tigers are playing relative to the rest of the country, that we would collectively be honestly disappointed if we didn't wind up as one of the 4 CFP squads.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am 7/13 there!***

Oct 28, 2015, 9:35 PM

it would suck initially to lose in the playoffs

Oct 28, 2015, 9:37 PM

But after a few weeks it would be a fun season to look back on

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Me personally , yes

I'm saying this year only

not on a year in year out basis

I think especially for those of us

Oct 28, 2015, 9:39 PM

that are far too young to know 1981.

This is our generations 1981

i said before the season began that we had to win the ACC.

Oct 28, 2015, 9:44 PM

Anything else would be a failure. But I don't thing only winning the Natty is it at this point.

We must win the ACC championship. Then we will have bigger goals.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, anything short of an ACC title***

Oct 28, 2015, 9:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EFF NO!

Oct 28, 2015, 9:58 PM

wtph is a matter with you?

that is so hard to accomplish these days, it should never ever be the benchmark for "disappointing".

Leave that sheatt to stupid Alabama fans....

Will be happy making the playoffs

Oct 28, 2015, 10:01 PM

But yes

My expectations rise and

Oct 28, 2015, 10:12 PM

fall with the product we have on the field. This year we are playing on both sides of the ball as a complete team so my expectations correlate.

Not for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll be disappointed if we

Oct 28, 2015, 10:14 PM

lose a game at this point - but if we make the playoffs, I'll be extremely happy with the season overall. Our football program is in a very good place now - let's enjoy it!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

**** Best Is The Standard ****

Oct 28, 2015, 10:31 PM

So yes, any loss will (eventually) be a disappointment. But seeing how this program is continuing to build and improve gives me great encouragement.
I've said and continue to say "Go Tigers!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: **** Best Is The Standard ****

Oct 28, 2015, 10:38 PM

To clarify: the "eventually" of which I speak refers to perhaps some single time in the far distant future (years... even decades)

Oct 28, 2015, 10:44 PM

I say no . We are in the midst of a darn noce run . Clemson is in a groove . Receuiting is at an all time high , we are beating the have-nots and have been like a good team should.
If we don't win the ACC Championship , to me ...that would disappoint . Fail to make the Final 4 playoffs ...again , disappointed.
I think our wxpectations should be high , but I also feel like we are going to be a top 10 type team for a while under coach Dabo Swinney .
It would not be disappointing to not win it all this year , for me .

DB23

Oct 28, 2015, 10:51 PM

Agreed, tigerdug.
I've discussed this season with both supporters and detractors and have consistently said that any achievement realized this season is just icing because I am of the opinion that the best is actually yet to come with this group of students.

I am not disappointed if we play our best game and another

Oct 28, 2015, 11:53 PM

is just better that day. Honestly, that shouldn't happen at all, but if it does, it will be against another playoff team. This is all assuming we stay healthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

No.***

Oct 28, 2015, 11:54 PM

Oct 29, 2015, 12:43 AM

Are you kidding??? I am so proud of our Tigers and what they have accomplished so far. They are playing extremely well and will continue to do so. I want an ACC Championship..and I feel confident that we will win. If we get a chance to compete for the national championship..that would be an honor for Clemson's football program...win or lose. BUT....I sure would like to win that trophy...it has been a long time since 1981. GO TIGERS!!!

Not for me.

Oct 29, 2015, 12:51 AM

I told you guys not to do this to yourselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every week we play for the title, troll doll. Proud of where we are now. Know our players

Oct 29, 2015, 12:55 AM

Are never satisfied though. They're starving. Ready to devour opponents by playing their game. Each guy doin his job to the max only thing that matters.

Great exposure for our guys, and Clemson too.

Can't wait to watch the continued dominance and watch the doubters convert to believers ;)

And get your coot panties out a wad. Y'all about to start a dynasty with Mack Brown. Be happy***

Oct 29, 2015, 12:57 AM

Prior to the start of the season, I, like many others,

Oct 29, 2015, 6:58 AM

thought 2016 would be our year, and that this year, while promising, would probably have a hiccup or two along the way. But, this team grew up fast, and now has a very good chance to be really special. I say we beat one team at a time, starting with the Drooling Doeren's this weekend, and let the excitement continue to build. Post Mortem the season after it is actually over.

Re: Prior to the start of the season, I, like many others,

Oct 29, 2015, 7:28 AM

+1 for Drooling Doerens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

No.***

Oct 29, 2015, 7:07 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 29, 2015, 7:18 AM

At this point, anything short of beating NC State would be disappointing.

Damit, Dabo.

Oct 29, 2015, 7:34 AM

Shouldn't you be out recruiting or coaching or something this morning, instead of hanging out here on Tigernet?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2015, 7:31 AM

SO, NOT EVEN HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON YOU EXPECT NOTHING BUT PERFECTION HUH. A LOT OF THINGS CAN HAPPEN BETWEEN NOW AND JANUARY. I AM DISAPPOINTED IN EVERY LOSS BUT THAT CERTAINLY DOES NOT MEAN THE "SEASON" WOULD BE A DISAPPOINTMENT.

Like a point where you break. .. point break?

Oct 29, 2015, 7:36 AM

Watch "Point Break - The Football Game" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/bWWH-s8yGUE

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 29, 2015, 7:48 AM

Not quite to that point yet. We havnt won NC consistently. By looking at what has become a trend and what has become expected under DS coached teams I would hands down say that anything less than a 10 win season is a knock for the tigers. Just think how far this program has came over the last 8 or so years. Be patient!! Beat State

Tricky question. At this point, yes; because,

Oct 29, 2015, 8:01 AM

most realistic fans thought this would be the year we'd struggle - at least early - up front. Notre Dame, Louisville, and Georgia Tech seemed like a gauntlet we'd be fortunate to survive with one or two wins.

Since we've not only survived but, dare I say, thrived early on, the stakes have changed and we are positioned right where we wanted to be, but never really expected to be. I've been watching this team since the 70s. Never have we been as complete a team from staff to players, including reserves, to support staff and administration. There may never be a "perfect" team, but this one is dang good. The eye test reveals a team that most if not all opponents will fear - for its physicality, diversity on offense, flexibility on defense, and overall positive yet nasty approach each and every week.

A Carolina friend said to me via Facebook a few years ago, "Championships are won on the line of scrimmage. Unless and until Clemson is willing and able to recruit SEC-caliber linemen, they will continue to be mediocre to good." Well, he was right then, and his words are true today. We wil improve on the offensive line, and perhaps on the defensive line as well, but we are finally in a place where we need not fear rotating reserves into a game. Depth - quality depth - and great coaching are the key ingredients to the recipe we are cooking up.

Could Florida State trip us up? Of course. NC State could as well. But who among us doesn't recognize that we are better prepared by our coach and staff to guard against a letdown? Who among us is afraid of any so-called top program out there? Would it be a disappointment? Of course it would. But here's the key to the question and the answer: Isn't it nice to be living in a time when it can even be legitimately discussed?

So what's next? Where do we end up? My feeling is that Clemson Football will be a perennial top-five-to-eight preseason pick for the foreseeable future. At the end of the day, that will make us all proud. From there it all comes down to situational outcomes and personnel fortune/misfortune. I believe that we will win...THIS YEAR! If not, at least we've seen the program take the next step - the one in which we are expected to win.

WL

Honestly? Not for me, T_I_P. I've been around too long

Oct 29, 2015, 8:08 AM

to allow hype to overtake good sense.

I anticipate each game and celebrate each victory, then move on to the next. For me it makes the season more enjoyable, and I can revel in each success. It also prevents bitter disappointment.

Simply, there are a whole lot of teams across the country right now that would love to be in our shoes, that are envious of our program, and they will remain so despite our final record.

Do I want a stellar season? Of course. But I will continue to take one game at a time...one game at a time.

GO TIGERS! BEAT THE WOLFPACK!

Here's the reason I say it is for me

Oct 29, 2015, 11:34 AM

I have been a Tiger fan and following Clemson football ever since I was like 8 years old in 1998. Both my parents being professors and me always going around the campus. During my growing up years Clemson was always just ok and thoughts of the 1981 national championship were a mythological thought to and I was always amazed that we had won one in those days.

You have to be at least 43 to even remember that national title now. There are generations of tiger fans who do not have their national title now. It is very very hard to win one as so many programs pour money into football in order to get a title. THIS IS OUR CHANCE. This year and next year but the way we are playing right now will we ever get another chance like this again? I have a feeling this is the year we have all been waiting for and at this point this is why it would be disappointing to me personally if we do not win it this because then I am not sure if I will ever see a national title in my lifetime.

Not at all......

Oct 29, 2015, 8:09 AM

Beat USC and win the ACC, then we can see where the chips fall.

Oct 29, 2015, 8:09 AM

Based on everything I'm seeing, the team, the atmosphere, the program. I'm pretty doggone satisfied right now.

The only thing that would disappoint me would be a loss to the coots... and anything can happen in that game.

In reality, I think we should win out and an ACC championship is what I expect.

But my ultimate feelings are that we are national championship caliber..

And I think at this point we can play with anyone and win, possibly dominate.

One game past the half-way point in the regular season....

Oct 29, 2015, 8:51 AM

and to you anything short of 15 - 0 and National Championship equates to a disappointing season?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 29, 2015, 9:11 AM

If we lose a close game in the playoffs I will be temporarily d

Oct 29, 2015, 9:12 AM

No, but that would be the icing on the cake.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Missing playoffs, yes. Not winning the ACC, yes.

Oct 29, 2015, 9:14 AM

Not winning the title... well i can't sit here and say that's a disappointment. Losing any is disappointing and sucks, but i think that's different than a season being a disappointment.

Oct 29, 2015, 11:49 AM

Realistically, expecting a playoff berth once out of every 5 years and a Natty once every 10 can be expected. Don't see a NC each year (stupid Alabama) or even playoffs every year. That's an unrealistic expectation to hold our coaches and players to.

I like your funny words magic man

Yeah I know

Oct 29, 2015, 11:55 AM

but this is our year as is next year. After that I cannot realistically expect the same level of success. We must strike when the iron is hot

Yes, but that is akin to being upset that it started

Oct 29, 2015, 4:04 PM

raining JUST after you had your Veyron detailed

Oct 29, 2015, 7:07 PM

> is a disappointing season?
>
>
> I say yes

God you're such a coot.

Would anything less than 5 wins be dissappointing for sc fighting jrs?

I say no.

It was widely accepted as highly probable they would not entering the 15 season.

5's also the ceiling for 16. So I assume you'll still be pretty unoccupied with following your own team and trying to create pressure that doesn't, nor will it, exist for ours.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic