Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we as a fan base thin skinned?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Are we as a fan base thin skinned?

Nov 12, 2019, 10:47 AM

Many media personalities express this opinion.
However, do these same folks say controversial things about The other top schools? Do reporters ever accuse Bama or O31O of running up score, playing a soft schedule, etc...
What are the facts? Or are the facts too unpopular? Is little ole Clemson just not a big draw financially to be held in high regard outside of the state? And finally Epstein didn’t kill himself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Opinions are one thing, but they should have the FACTS right

Nov 12, 2019, 10:51 AM

Hasn't Dabo also voiced those same concerns ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is brilliant though. He spins the national

Nov 14, 2019, 10:04 AM

narrative when possible to put a chip on our shoulders. Just like last year. No one ever said Bama was the best of all time but Dabo spun people comparing Bama to the best of all time to them saying Bama was the best of all time.

The national media sez the ACC is terrible this year. The ACC is terrible. We get less respect because of our schedule. Dabo spins it to lack of respect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we as a fan base thin skinned?

Nov 12, 2019, 10:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

i don’t think we are any more than others

Nov 12, 2019, 10:52 AM

It’s a psychological thing. People’s ears perk up when it’s something about their own team and therefore catch every single thing said, while maybe not catching everything said about everyone else.

I saw Alabama fans actually saying that ESPN was anti-Bama late on Saturday. I think every fan base has an element of worrying about perception. Because as a fan you think of your school/team/program in a 100% positive light, while a media person sees it in a neutral light, which is of course not as high as 100% positive.

I’m not sure which is worse

Nov 12, 2019, 10:57 AM

Poor losers or poor winners!

Re: i don’t think we are any more than others

Nov 12, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to i don’t think we are any more than others ]

There is a lot of truth in what you're saying. I've seen Ohio State fans complain of ESPN kissing our butts all the time. I've also seen Alabama fans complain of Clemson being ESPN's new love interest.

I often wonder if a lot of it is a product of many people being used to listening to local radio and reading websites from their own teams and being used to that slant towards their team. I most often wonder this when I see the several posts after every single game on tv from people complaining of the announcers being biased towards the team we were playing.

Name another instance of media targeting a school

Nov 12, 2019, 10:54 AM

like they did with the unspoken "XXXXXXX-ing" era.

Still waiting on "Gamecocking" to surface.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

amen brother! They just yucked it up even though any team

Nov 12, 2019, 11:08 AM

could have been labeled with that. And it does not help when your school name ends with a consonant vs a vowel. They are all alphabet racists! ;)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Nov 12, 2019, 10:56 AM

epstein ?-no!according to well known pathologist,michael baden

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 12, 2019, 11:02 AM

clear up ambiguity-michael baden does NOT believe epstein killed himself.sorry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Does thin skinned = complaining when an obvious foul

Nov 12, 2019, 10:58 AM

occurred but no flag was thrown? That's when I've seen the phrase "thin skinned" thrown around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 12, 2019, 11:00 AM

Name one other team that is insulted by the national media on a daily basis. I'm tired of the insults thrown at Clemson.

Nov 12, 2019, 11:23 AM

No. The disrespect is real.

But people are going to pay, because Clemson is coming, and its bringing Hell with it.

Nov 12, 2019, 4:00 PM

Here is exhibit A of a thin skinned butthurt fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 12:15 PM

Perhaps you are too obtuse to recognize and understand the disrespect. That does not mean it is not real.

In my experience, yes. All fanbases are defensive, but

Nov 12, 2019, 11:25 AM

most Clemson fans, especially Crump, are EXTREMELY sensitive to anything negative mentioned about Clemson. More than anything I've seen from other fanbases.

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2019, 11:26 AM

I think that it depends. Some of the things become unfair media narratives. "The ACC is bad." "Play a soft schedule." "Almost lost to UNC." There is some truth to them, but they end up getting beat into the dirt with a 24 hr news cycle, and countless media sources.

When it comes to specific stories, I think many overreact, but the response is a push back to it becoming the next narrative, or because somebody is continuing to beat one into the ground.

It is just tough to compare us to many other fan bases, right now. Most teams have a lot more flaws to use as solid evidence of a pundit's opinion that are not arguable. With us they often have to pick something small and try to extrapolate it out for a reason. These things are up for argument, and with our orange colored glasses, we are going to disagree with anyone trying to make that kind of stretch. Most programs would give a kidney to be in the position we are, so they would see it as trivial, since they have much bigger issues.

Yes ... we cry little Tiger Paw snowflakes on our beer.

Nov 12, 2019, 1:50 PM

But it keeps the beer cold.

Nov 12, 2019, 1:59 PM

I'm not sure how we compare to other fan bases, but we do have a great deal of sensitive ones. I think a lot of it is that the narrative has been pushed on Clemson boards for several years now that ESPN is anti-Clemson so people are always looking for every little thing. A lot of times the "proof that ESPN hates us" is as simple as someone from ESPN ranking us 2nd, 3rd, or basically anywhere except #1.

Most of the "hate" we get is the same I see from every other team. Of course the different programs on ESPN are going to involve ranking teams, discussing their potential flaws, and picking teams to win and lose games. All it takes is one of those to say something as simple as someone other team having the best DL in the country, and someone will instantly post on here about us being disrespected because they didn't say we had the best line. It can't possibly be because that particular person honestly thinks that. Nope, it has to be because that person hates Clemson and is scared of our success.

Nov 12, 2019, 2:09 PM

Off the top of my head from ESPN over the past several years:

-They used countless resources for the game against Georgia to show our complete hill entrance. Why go through all that trouble to show an awesome experience for a team they hate?

-They've come here for Gameday several times. Sure, they haven't been over the past 2 years due to no high profile home games, but why come for all those other games if they hate us?

-They basically spent our entire spring game this past year as a recruiting pitch from Dabo.

-One of their, if not their biggest named college personalities is paying for two of his children to attend Clemson and play for Dabo.

-I can't think of a major ESPN program where Dabo hasn't been on as a guest multiple times in the past several years. Sure, Dabo isn't the only coach this is true of, but why give him that on air time to sell himself and his program if you hate Clemson and are scared to death of their success?

-The playoff committee has voted us in all 4 years where our record has been good enough to be considered including as the #1 overall team in 2 of those years. That's not an ESPN one, but the committee has been included in the "people who hate Clemson" talk since last week.

-ESPN spent the entire offseason talking about our dynasty, Lawrence as the Heisman favorite, and how we'd be back in the NC game this year. Sure, a lot of that love died down after the UNC game, but nobody was forcing them to give all that attention to a team they hate so much in the first place.

It's just interesting that ESPN is supposed to be this major powerful force in sports that can influence so many people, and they hate us so much and are so desperate to see us fail, and somehow their strategy to stop us is to have some of their employees rank us somewhere else in the top 5 other than #1 from time to time. You'd think they'd be able to do a much better job slandering us if they really wanted to.

Nov 12, 2019, 2:21 PM

I like your take...

Not getting into the political part, but I think we are

Nov 12, 2019, 2:21 PM

somewhat thin-skinned as a fan base (and I am as guilty as any). We are kind of the "new money" of football blue bloods, and are probably just a little insecure as a result. Do we get insulted more than other fan bases? Maybe, but we also react more strongly than most other fan bases.

When we react to any perceived slight, whether deserved or not, it is just going to lead to more baiting from the media.

Nov 12, 2019, 3:51 PM

Yes Panthera, we are the most thin skinned, whiny, arrogant, obnoxious fan base full of snowflakes I have ever seen.
Sadly, I am starting to look forward to a Clemson loss just to shut them up. Most days this site is absolutely unbearable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 9:25 AM

Sounds like you are the one with alot of issues. Angry and whiny. Take a good look in the mirror.

Nov 12, 2019, 5:55 PM

A certain percentage of sportscasters are going to call out any successful team to garner more attention to their shows.

A certain percentage of fans of any good team are going to react negatively (thin-skinned) to some of those negative comments.

A certain percentage of college football fans are going to over-react (both positively & negatively) each week, even when in the long run most everything works out pretty reasonably - that's why they play the games.

Hopefully, fans with some understanding and expertise can enjoy the games while putting all of the hyperbole in its proper perspective.

Nov 12, 2019, 6:00 PM

Does a bear make big poopoo in the woods?

Nov 12, 2019, 6:04 PM

The truth is that we are the exact opposite. We get quiet angry and ticked off when others continuously ignore all accomplishments, bash, vilify and basically spit in the face of our program. All because it doesn’t fit their agenda.

Nov 14, 2019, 7:40 AM

Outrageously thin skinned and easily offended.

Rightfully Proud & Refuting Lies Doesn't Equal Thin Skinned

Nov 14, 2019, 9:54 AM

Maybe were just not as naive and willing to be spoon-fed the garbage the media spews. If that is thin-skinned then Yes. Also Epstein was killed by George Bush to cover up 9-11

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Remember when Will Fuller said ND game was gonna be

Nov 14, 2019, 10:07 AM

savage. People on here were jumping out of windows when that in no way was any slam against Clemson.

It happens over and over and over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 11:24 AM

I think we are, but probably no more than others. As fans (including fans of any school), we're passionate & very protective of our school/team. Sort of like protecting your kids or family in general. "You start running down my kids, spouse, siblings - you got a fight on your hands! I can talk bad about 'em, but NOT YOU!"

That same passion that brings thousands to the stadiums also makes a ton of supporters overprotective or thin-skinned.

But it's everywhere. Listen to Finebaum or McElroy & it's all about Bama, the SEC & protecting their turf/brand. Jim Mora is always pumping up the PAC 12. Even the mostly neutral Herbie is overly kind to OHST & Big 10. The bluebloods North, South, East & West all do it. The N.Dames, OHSTs, Bama's, USCs don't want the Clemsons, Minnesotas, Utah's in their club. Maybe a visit occasionally, but not full membership.

If we all were not thin-skinned & passionate about our teams a little bit - the sport would probably die on the vine.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic