Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clinton to keep accepting donations from foreign governments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Clinton to keep accepting donations from foreign governments

Apr 16, 2015, 10:21 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04/16/clinton-foundation-to-keep-accepting-donations-from-foreign-governments/

The Clinton Foundation said late Wednesday that it will continue to accept donations from foreign governments during Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, despite concerns that such gifts will create a conflict of interest for the Democratic front-runner.

Ethics experts had called on the foundation to stop accepting all foreign donations for the duration of Clinton's presidential campaign.

Mentioning ethics and the Clintons in the same sentence is laughable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"what are they gonna do..not vote for me?

Apr 16, 2015, 10:32 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please be more specific, Fox News.

Apr 16, 2015, 10:45 AM

"Ethics experts had called on the foundation to stop accepting all foreign donations for the duration of Clinton's presidential campaign."

Which ethics experts?

"Critics targeted the foundation's reliance on funding from several Middle Eastern governments."

Which critics?

"The Associated Press contributed to this report."

The AP doesn't mention these "experts" in their report, but the "critics" are clearly identified.

"The foundation's reliance on funding from several Mideast governments... sparked criticism and gave the Republican Party a new offensive against the leading Democrat."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DEM_2016_CLINTON_FOUNDATION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

What are your thoughts on the Clinton Foundation decision?***

Apr 16, 2015, 11:00 AM

null

Are they involved in her campaign?

Apr 16, 2015, 11:11 AM

If not, it doesn't matter.

It would be interesting if this started a conversation about campaign finance, though. Clearly some people on the right are concerned about foreign money going to US presidential candidates' campaigns. Does that include money from international or foreign corporations? If there's concern about financing coming from the Mideast, perhaps we should take a look at who's accepting large contributions from oil companies that do business over there. I'd love to hear some ethics experts weigh in on that.

Good points.

Apr 16, 2015, 11:38 AM

I don't think it's whether or not the money goes to the campaign...it's whether or not foreign governments can buy influence with the potential future CIC.

You would think the same concern would be there regarding foreign businesses. Maybe it is and I don't understand all the rules.

What we need...and what I think would be the most constructive approach to dealing with this issue...is if someone would fly a mini-helicopter onto the capital lawn with some letters.

null

Re: Are they involved in her campaign?

Apr 16, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Are they involved in her campaign? ]

I would hope many on the left and every other direction are concerned about foreign money going to presidential candidates' campaigns.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

"They have to build a clear firewall,"

Apr 16, 2015, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Please be more specific, Fox News. ]

said Lawrence Jacobs, director of the Center for the Study of Politics and Governance at the Hubert H. Humphrey School at the University of Minnesota. "That would mean a strict prohibition on any foreign money solicited, committed or pending to being accepted after a clear date given by the foundation."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/15/clinton-foundation-hillary-campaign_n_7073036.html

Defending the Clintons is a loser's game. It's impossible.***

Apr 16, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Please be more specific, Fox News. ]

I was defending journalistic integrity.***

Apr 16, 2015, 1:30 PM

Fox is trustworty. MSNBC, not so much.***

Apr 16, 2015, 1:33 PM

Re: Fox is trustworty. MSNBC, not so much.***

Apr 16, 2015, 1:43 PM

The fact that anybody can watch more than 10 minutes of either and not want to throw up is beyond me.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Who told you Fox was trustworthy? Fox?

Apr 16, 2015, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Fox is trustworty. MSNBC, not so much.*** ]

No. They are inaccurate 60 percent of the time. MSNBC isn't much better, but they're better.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/jan/29/punditfact-checks-cable-news-channels/

People, stop thinking Fox News is factually accurate. It's like anti-vaxxers still claiming vaccines are bad despite the overwhelmingly evidence presented to them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Fox News is the most trusted national news channel.

Apr 16, 2015, 2:55 PM

And it’s not that close.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/09/fox-news-is-the-most-trusted-national-news-channel-and-its-not-that-close/

Fox News Channel beats out CNN for America's most trusted cable or broadcast news coverage, and MSNBC lags far behind, even among Democrats, according to new polling done by Quinnipiac University. The poll found 29 percent of people say they trust Fox News' coverage the most, followed by 22 percent for CNN and 10 percent for NBC News and CBS News.

Fox News' figures are unsurprising considering its ratings. The channel ended 2014 second only to ESPN in total viewers among all ad-supported basic cable networks.

Liberal dominance of news is over.

They have the hottest bobble heads telling us the news.

Apr 16, 2015, 2:57 PM

So there's that.

Unfortunately, I watch Brett Baier.***

Apr 16, 2015, 3:06 PM

That's a poll of the American people

Apr 16, 2015, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Fox News is the most trusted national news channel. ]

And that average IQ bar is set pretty low.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You have just illuminated a truth about liberals.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:30 PM

They think that they are smarter than anyone else, that they are inherently right, and therefore anyone who disagrees is stupid.

Would you rather break down facts?

Apr 16, 2015, 4:18 PM

I present a study that shows Fox is factually incorrect more times than not. And far more than anyone else.

You post a study that shows more Americans trust Fox, and you somehow think that means they're honest.

You know what else? More Americans eat at McDonald's than anywhere else. But that doesn't make a Big Mac a ####### Filet Mignon.

I really don't need a study to tell me the news

Apr 17, 2015, 7:55 AM

coming out of MSNBC is nothing but Democrat talking points. I don't need a study to tell me when I am getting both sides of an issue fairly presented. I don't need a study to tell me the Clintons are greedy, lying, deceiving low lifes that the liberal news outlets defend and protect. I lived through the misrepresentations during Vietnam, the 70's, and the 80's, when the only thing we had was the liberal side. It's different now, and I like it.

If you desire to watch a "news" network

Apr 17, 2015, 8:05 AM

That gets 60 percent of the facts wrong, then you deserve your blissful ignorance. You do you, baby.

But if you had an accountant who was wrong on your taxes 60 percent of the time, and you thought he was trustworthy, the IRS is still taking your butt to jail.

The 60% number is bogus.***

Apr 17, 2015, 8:50 AM

Re: The 60% number is bogus.***

Apr 17, 2015, 8:58 AM

It is bogus. They even pretty much admit it. LOL

They choose which stories to fact check. In other words CNN may run 10 false stories today and unless Politifact CHOOSES to fact check, those stories aren't included in the score card

LOL

And I'm no Fox watcher, I really don't watch any of it. I prefer reading

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prove it.

Apr 17, 2015, 10:43 AM [ in reply to The 60% number is bogus.*** ]

While you're at it, take a look at how Fox News viewers are the least informed Americans.

http://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

So if a person gets most of their info from Fox, they probably don't know much.

as liberal MSNBC host Rachel Maddow put it:

Apr 17, 2015, 11:41 AM

(with regard to Politifact) “You are undermining the definition of the word ‘fact’ in the English language by pretending to it in your name. The English language wants its word back.”

http://humanevents.com/2012/08/30/politifact-bias-does-the-gop-tell-nine-times-more-lies-than-left-really/

PolitiFact started off straight. As a partnership of Congressional Quarterly and the Tampa Bay Times (then the St. Petersburg Times) formed in 2007, the outfit won a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage of the 2008 election. The partnership dissolved shortly after when The Poynnter Institute – the parent company of both outfits – sold off CQ.

The Florida journalists carried on alone, and their liberal tendencies became more obvious as the “Pants on Fire” rulings piled up on one side. By one count, from the end of that partnership to the end of 2011, the national PolitiFact operation has issued 119 Pants on Fire ratings for Republican or conservative claims, and only 13 for liberal or Democratic claims.

In another tally, just of claims made by elected officials, Republicans lose 64-10 over the same three-year period.

Those numbers were compiled by Bryan White, who co-founded PolitiFactBias, a blog dedicated to chronicling examples of what he considers poor reasoning, sloppy research, or bias by the PolitiFact.

In considering all rulings where a claim is found untrue (False and Pants on Fire rulings combined), two things are obvious: First, that PolitiFact thinks Republicans are wrong far more often than Democrats and, second, when Republicans are wrong, they’re often said to be lying, while Democrats are just mistaken.

Prof. Eric Ostermeier at the University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs, who examined more than 500 PolitiFact stories from January 2010 through January 2011, found the same two tendencies that White did: Republicans are called wrong more than three times as often, and when they’re found wrong, they’re more than three times as likely to be called a liar.

But the problem isn’t that PolitiFact makes bizarre judgments. It’s that PolitiFact pretends those judgments are facts.

The fact-checkers aren’t just blind to their own opinion; they are blind to the concept. They’ll cite one wonk’s opinion as dispositive, when others who are well informed disagree.

Politifact partisan bias aside, common sense should tell you Fox is not wrong 60% of the time.

So you cite a right-wing source to say...

Apr 17, 2015, 2:13 PM

"Nuh uh! Fox don't lie!"

Maybe the fact that their numbers are lopsided is because it is what it is: Maybe those people are, in fact, lying more.

Still care to address this one? I'll post it from another source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/

Or some facts on Fox's bias (I know MSNBC is biased the other way... but I'm not foolish enough to argue it's not like you are with Fox):

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/14/five-facts-about-fox-news/

Fox is also the biggest liar about climate change, but you'll dispute that because, well, you watch Fox.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/04/08/fox_news_leading_cable_news_network_is_usually_wrong_about_climate_change.html

Fox also was the best at misleading the American public leading up to Iraq. I can post those links if you'd like, but if you prefer to just continue believing it's an honest news source, I'll save us both the time.

Re: Prove it.

Apr 17, 2015, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Prove it. ]

Once again, your own link says "As we have said in the past, be cautious about using the scorecards to draw broad conclusions. We use our news judgment to pick the facts we’re going to check, so we certainly don’t fact-check everything."

Your own link admits that it isn't "60% of the time," it's 60% of what they actually check.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you take a random collection of stories

Apr 17, 2015, 2:01 PM

And 60 percent are wrong, that's damning to your organization, regardless.

Re: When you take a random collection of stories

Apr 17, 2015, 2:17 PM

I would agree except I don't think it's random. They choosing stories from each network, my thoughts are they are more likely to overlook a false story from CNN or MSNBC.

IF they fact checked EVERY story from each network, that would be more honest.

They even admit at the bottom of the page that they don't check stories on a even level. That speaks volumes....but at least they are being honest about that small part

Re: When you take a random collection of stories

Apr 17, 2015, 2:27 PM

I don't watch much of the crap on any of the networks, I prefer the Sunday morning shows and reading.

I can't even watch the Weather Channel without wanting to throw the tv out the door. Even they have become about pretty faces and dumbing down weather news.

That's not what they said at all.

Apr 17, 2015, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: When you take a random collection of stories ]

They said this:

"We use our news judgment to pick the facts we’re going to check, so we certainly don’t fact-check everything. And we don’t fact-check the five network groups evenly. CBS, for instance, doesn’t have a cable network equivalent, so we haven’t fact-checked pundits and CBS personalities as much."

That means they chose a few specific topics. I would imagine it physically impossible to check every single fact out there. They said they don't check all networks on an even level because not all networks have something comparable to Fox, CNN, MSNBC.

The fact that they took a random sampling and 60 percent was incorrect is an indication of bad journalism. Period. CNN and MSNBC's are too high, too, but Fox is blatantly egregious.

Re: That's not what they said at all.

Apr 17, 2015, 3:05 PM

I doubt they doing it random.

Once again, your own article warns about making a broad brush.

Spin all you want, but it's telling ya that NO, not 60% of all their stories are false. And that is exactly what you implied when you first posted the link.

Hell, I can sit down and watch 30 different stories on CNN and then choose at "random" which ones to fact check. And just like anyone else, I'm gonna fact check those stories to point CNN as wrong more often.

My point in this is just as CDEF thinks Fox is gospel and the others are the anti-christ, there are those on the far left that does the same. And of course, there gonna pick stories at "random" bs word to get the data they want.

Re: That's not what they said at all.

Apr 17, 2015, 3:27 PM

I know it's not possible but if all stories on all three news networks were fact checked, I'd bet my house that all three networks would be about equal and none would be even close to a 60% false bs.

Re: Fox News is the most trusted national news channel.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Fox News is the most trusted national news channel. ]

Is that really how you interpret the numbers? And if you do, you see this is as a good thing??

I think the problem in and of itself is the fact that cable news is taken even remotely seriously in America. Period. The fact that we're arguing about which one is watched more is moreso an indicator of our misguidance.

The "us vs. them" mentality feeding this brand of pseudo-journalism is what the two party system thrives on. Sure, Murdoch, Turner & the folks on Capitol Hill get what they want. But do the people? Well, aside from having strictly constructed buckets tying together ideology and identity as it relates to the question "are you a liberal, or are you a conservative?"

If cable news is really considered a serious source of information among non-stay-at-home-housewives in this country (and it appears it is), it's no wonder we're so divided. There's a multi-billion dollar industry that literally thrives on the people's propensity for tribalism. Who'da thunk it?

You may not be this way, but there are plenty of folks who believe exactly what MSNBC and FOX tell them to believe. And that drives how this country votes and ends up manifesting itself in our politics. It waters down our dialogue to memorable talking points and is a childish game of one-upmanship. It's not about who is right or the most well-reasoned, but who is the most shocking, the most outrageous, the loudest.

That's the problem. And I can't believe that so many people are still playing the game.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Have you ever watched Brett Baier?***

Apr 16, 2015, 3:46 PM

Re: Who told you Fox was trustworthy? Fox?

Apr 17, 2015, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Who told you Fox was trustworthy? Fox? ]

From your link "As we have said in the past, be cautious about using the scorecards to draw broad conclusions. We use our news judgment to pick the facts we’re going to check, so we certainly don’t fact-check everything."

They pick what stories they choose to fact check. Yeah, that leaves absolutely no room for bias right?

Re: Clinton to keep accepting donations from foreign governments

Apr 16, 2015, 11:17 AM

When Bill said he didn't have sex with women, he was really talking about hillary.

Apr 16, 2015, 1:42 PM

what accountability does their foundation have generally. seems to me this is likely just a ruse for them to enrich themselves. what accountability is there for a foundation like this run by anyone?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2015, 2:14 PM

somebody remind me again who pushed citizens united through our supreme court?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is that related to foreign gov't payments?***

Apr 16, 2015, 2:28 PM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic