Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are the schools cutting sports doing so permanently
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Are the schools cutting sports doing so permanently

May 19, 2020, 12:41 PM

or just temporarily?

Given the fact that football and basketball support all of the other sports, and a major driver of the budget shortfall is the lack of NCAA Tournament revenue for conferences, it seems drastic to make permanent cuts.

I could understand taking a season off to recover some lost revenue, but how can they know now that the sport isn't sustainable a year or more from now?!? Huge overreaction IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Are the schools cutting sports doing so permanently

May 19, 2020, 12:56 PM

Would seem that it would be difficult to do so temporarily. Most of the affected student athletes that wanted to continue to play would likely transfer. Also, recruiting for a team that was cut this quickly (also seems like an over-reaction to me) would prove to be a major challenge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Those are great points.

May 19, 2020, 3:04 PM

I hadn't thought of that. I suppose they could just have a larger recruiting class next year to compensate, assuming they were able to keep the students who are already on campus.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nothing much in this world is permanent

May 19, 2020, 12:58 PM

Erskine cut football around 1950 and is bringing it back after 70 years- (I guess that is almost permanent)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing much in this world is permanent

May 19, 2020, 12:59 PM

Would we be interested in any of the Furman baseball players, pitchers especially ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2020, 1:13 PM

I'm not sure of any other school, but with Furman it seems they had already been discussing shutting down certain programs due to financial difficulties prior to C19, and C19 was just the final nail. It did sound like they'd be open to considering adding them back years down the road if their financial situation improves.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wondered the same, if schools are simply using COVID

May 19, 2020, 3:05 PM

as the scapegoat for cutting programs they didn't really want to keep anyway.

May 19, 2020, 1:15 PM

I'm sure some of the schools used this as an excuse to dump nonprofitable or noncompetitive programs.

You can't really drop a program temporarily.

Some conferences require schools to compete in specific sports and when that list changes or the conference changes, it's easy to drop a program if you can avoid complaints.

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great points, thank you.***

May 19, 2020, 3:05 PM

May 19, 2020, 1:30 PM

UAB cut their FB program a few years ago against a lot of controversy. It came back 2-3 years later and they are doing fine.

UAB ended up getting a lot of support in terms of ppl & $ that helped w/ their fight to return

May 19, 2020, 7:12 PM

Will there be enough to do so for these schools that are going this right now? Will the kids affected stick around hoping that a return will be the case? Time will tell

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2020, 2:12 PM

I imagine the answer to your question is not a simple yes or no. All of these decisions are from year-end budget discussions designed to avoid layoffs among the university families.

Any time you furlough employees, you are anticipating having a greater need for them soon, and you don't want to go through the search/hire/train process; so universities are furloughing event and maintenance and library staff, but terminating athletic coaches. Hmmm.

That makes me think the decisions are at least intended to be permanent. Maybe like at UAB, the public will initiate a save-the-program drive, or a heavily-battered endowment like Furman's may recover quickly enough to change the plan. But I'm sure that's on a case-by-case basis.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic