Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are our WRs going pro early because of our offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Are our WRs going pro early because of our offense?

Jan 13, 2018, 11:05 AM

I have to wonder if guys like McCloud and Cain decided to go pro because they fear that our offense next year will be just like it was this year: run first, with lots of QB runs and handoffs to Etienne/Feaster. The only passes we threw with regularity were shorter passes. When we went long, the throws were frequently off-target. Our WRs were clearly frustrated by this at times.

This is not to excuse McCloud and Cain. They have a lot to improve upon, including blocking, route running, and catching. But I can't help but wonder if they see the writing on the wall, and that is the fact that Bryant will likely be our starting QB next season, and we will run the same basic offense again this year which gives our WRs little time to shine compared to previous seasons. Looking at it this way, it makes sense why they decided to just go pro now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Absolutely plays a role***

Jan 13, 2018, 11:07 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are our WRs going pro early because of our offense?

Jan 13, 2018, 11:08 AM

I think they are still buying into their HS 5 star press clippings and did not put in enough work.

Renfrow is actually rated higher as pro receiver than McCloud by Walter Camp. More than one GM has used the term "1 trick pony" when describing Cain. HE will make a roster based on his potential, but he does not continue to improve at the next level he will quickly find himself playing in Canada. I do not see McCLoud making a Roster this year.

They both made a huge mistake.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 11:38 AM

Deon is a one trick pony...

Dude is money on back shoulder catches but needs improvement everywhere else...I honestly attribute that to playing QB in high school. Wasted time away from working on his art of catching.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 13, 2018, 11:47 AM

I wish the best for him, but I saw little improvement his 3 years here. He should run an impressive 40 time which has him sitting at a fourth round grade. Somebody will take a chance on him because the potential is there.

McCloud had all the Sawgger and athleticism of an elite cover corner coming out of HS, but wanted to play receiver instead. I hope he finds a home but at his size that is going to be a stretch.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deon was miscast in his role as a 9 receiver***

Jan 13, 2018, 2:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 11:16 AM

No, Ray Ray situation is just like Scott last year, he isn’t going to grow any taller. Another year or even three years wouldn’t improve Ray Ray’s draft stock. Cain on the other hand will be a 1st day selection if he run well at the combine. Skill players draft stock is all about size, speed, and potential. The NFL will give them all the coaching they need to be successful.

Jan 13, 2018, 11:20 AM

I agree with Balm. Could use another year to learn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 11:30 AM

Think both could improve stock by staying.....especially with probably a better passer next year.....Hunter or Trevor. Cain especially with deep ball capability.

Why aren't FB players allowed to choose AFTER the draft? At least rescind decision to turn pro.

Jan 13, 2018, 11:33 AM

And screw over an NFL team's draft choice? That ain't happening...

Jan 13, 2018, 11:42 AM

Unfortunately...you're right. Often times the kid gets screwed. Dabo tries to educate the reality of the deal, but some listen to outside sources to their detriment.

Jan 13, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Are our WRs going pro early because of our offense? ]

Have you checked kb’s stats? You sound foolish when you say that

Jan 13, 2018, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Are our WRs going pro early because of our offense? ]

Haha. Cain will not be a first round draft pick, even if he runs in the 4.3s and has other great numbers. Being an nfl receiver is about a lot more than being fast.

Cordarrelle Patterson***

Jan 13, 2018, 2:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they both came in with the mindset of being 3 year

Jan 13, 2018, 11:24 AM

guys. I don't love seeing both of them go but figured it would be best if one or the other did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure it played a role

Jan 13, 2018, 11:43 AM

They definitely didn't come to "WRU" to watch us call screens and QB runs all day.

I don't think so. Seems like Lawerence will be throwing it

Jan 13, 2018, 11:46 AM

All over the place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE reason? I'm sure there could be many, but here's some quick...

Jan 13, 2018, 11:51 AM

numbers I shared with Mickey a few days ago comparing RRIII to AScott. I would be surprised if RRIII doesn't dwarf that 4.61.

I would have liked to have seen Ray Ray and Amari with the extra 60 catches from someone capable of getting the ball out quickly, in rhythm and in the right location so they could take full advantage of their personal attributes.

Anyway, a lot of possible reasons tabled above, just some numbers here that might offer a window into your question?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who knows.. maybe they were 3 and done all the way...

Jan 13, 2018, 11:52 AM

maybe they see rodgers and higgins showing out..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 13, 2018, 11:54 AM

I’m assuming that we are going back to more of a passing game now that Lawrence is in school. That style fits all the other quarterbacks as well.

Jan 13, 2018, 12:44 PM

If cain goes before the 5th round he will be a millionaire so I bet that may have something to do with his decision. McCloud could get the same deal but I do not think another year makes a difference for him. I also think we have the weapons to replace both so I wish them the best of luck in their future. If you recruit 4 and 5 stars they are just going to leave early most of the time but not all the time.

Maybe because less playing time for both next

Jan 13, 2018, 12:47 PM

year and not much chance of improving their draft status.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe because less playing time for both next

Jan 13, 2018, 1:22 PM

I agree that I think both would have less playing time. Actually we needed both of them to go. We recruit the wr position at an elite level. We really can only give a wr 3 years if we are going to continue to bring in elite receivers each year. Overton, Higgins, Rogers, Chase, and Powell need their opportunity. IMO Overton is already better then Cain on 50/50 balls. As a receiver you either have that ability or you don’t after 3 years of college. Cain doesn’t give you that. He is a vertical threat when the ball is thrown out in front but has trouble keeping focus on routine catches. Look back at the Championship game a year ago. Watson was dynamic in so many ways but at the end of the day if Mike Williams doesn’t come down with a couple 50/50 balls on the last two drives we probably don’t win. We lose nothing imo at the receiver position with losing Cain so let’s move on from worrying about it.

You scare easy.

Jan 13, 2018, 1:23 PM

You from up north?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever their reasons for leaving, I don't think we will

Jan 13, 2018, 1:41 PM

miss them! We have too much talent at receiver, that are only going to get better. Remember, Higgins didn't come in early, he will be greatly improved next season. If we can get him the ball, he will be amazing!

They spend far more time off the field than on the field

Jan 13, 2018, 1:48 PM

so if their knowledge and leadership was important to this team, then they'll be missed and someone will need to fill those important shoes.

There's little doubt at the work ethic it took for DC to reshape his body. That kind of work is unspoken. Swinney was none too shy about complimenting RRIII for his sense of urgency and the next level skill set he brought to the field, galvanized by his overall attitude toward his work & ethic. Even a handful of times putting the ball on the ground didn't cut into RRIII's time, full knowing the risk less than the reward.

I have no idea how much they'll be missed off the field, but to limit their contribution to this team to just plays on the field, is not remotely in tune with the kind of program Dabo has built.

Take care of life and football will take care of itself. That's the Dabo way.

Jan 13, 2018, 2:09 PM

You don’t think they enjoy catchin 2 yd bubble screens?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 2:13 PM

These guys probably knew by the beginning of their high school days they wanted to, and
had potential to play at the Pro level. Therefore, I am sure they were looking for the
easiest path to get them there.
Alot of what you said was correct, but there probably wasn't going be alot of improvement
from them going into next year either. So sure, from there stand point. And maybe Clemson
too,

the time was now.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic