Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Twitter doesn't stifle free speech.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 582

Twitter doesn't stifle free speech.

May 28, 2020, 5:18 PM

This is a fact that some people don't seem to understand.

If you (or Twitter, or Tigernet) own your own website, I don't have the right to put stuff on it. It's yours. You can be as arbitrary about the rules as you want. If I don't like it, I can go somewhere else, or make my own website.

If you don't let me post on your website, or change what I put there, you have not violated my free speech rights, and you have not stifled free speech. You--the website owner--are free from government interference about what speech you want on your website, and neither I nor the government can stop you.

Meanwhile, if the government steps in and controls what speech you can have in there, THAT'S stifling free speech. That's the government deciding what you, a website owner, can say and not say. That's the violation of the First Amendment.

htfh

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: Twitter doesn't stifle free speech.

May 28, 2020, 5:23 PM

Twitter itself doesn’t.

But the idiots who tweet and create SJW mobs attacking innocent people sure do.

Jimmy Fallon doing Chris Rock and Tropic Thunder outrage are two recent examples.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we need a conservative twitter.

May 28, 2020, 5:24 PM

A safe space with zero fact checking and unlimited usage of racial epithets.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And photos of overweight 20-somethings with

May 28, 2020, 5:31 PM

neckbeards holding ARs in mundane, non-confrontational situations to show how badazz they are!!! That would really make it feel like home!

4chan/8chan/whatever it's called now?***

May 28, 2020, 5:34 PM

9gag***

May 29, 2020, 9:05 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

And the liberal one

May 28, 2020, 5:38 PM [ in reply to So we need a conservative twitter. ]

I hate Chamomile tea, PBS although has some good shows***

May 28, 2020, 5:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Well, according to your mouthbreathing ilk,

May 28, 2020, 5:52 PM [ in reply to And the liberal one ]

"liberal Twitter"...is...just...Twitter?

Are YOU really questioning the education and intelligence

May 28, 2020, 6:06 PM

Re: Are YOU really questioning the education and intelligence

May 28, 2020, 6:08 PM

I can draw, dance. and sing. I can play piano, bass guitar. electric guitar. violin. viola, cello, alto saxaphone, and drums. I can fluently speak in English. French, Mandarin, Japanese. Arabic, Irish. German, Spanish, and Latin. I know Morse code and sign language. I can program in Java, C, C#, C++, Javascript, HTML, PHP, SQL. XML, XAML, Swift, VBScript, Assembly, Lua, Python, and Rust. I have degrees in Engineering, Robotics, Programming. English Literature, Biology, Psychology, and Physics. I was a taekwando instructor for four years before being forced to retire due to a severe injury. I designed three of Google's API features. I was the engineer who designed the thrusters for the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. I have an IQ of 178. So before you attempt to call me an idiot, look at the accomplishments I've made and reconsider your insult.

Wow that’s impressive but

May 28, 2020, 6:11 PM

Yes,

May 28, 2020, 6:12 PM

I can bench press 315 about 12 times on a good day. 7 times when I've had intercourse with your wife the night before.

And I do about 2000 crunches per day.

Re: Yes,

May 28, 2020, 6:16 PM

Sorry dude, it's highly likely that I'm much stronger than you. Not claiming I'm the strongest person or a bad ###, but I am much stronger than the average American male. I was skinny as a youth, and when I see people from my youth that haven't seen me in years they are surprised by how much muscle I have added over the years. So highly unlikely you could do anything to me if challenged me. Most likely I would just shove you to the ground and tell you take your loss like a man without even punching you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 6:18 PM

So, do you know me? Dude, my toenail clippings have more life experience than you. I'm not an Alumni of Clemson. Just a fan since 1983, and I've held season tickets for several years, but have given most of them away to less fortunate people such as yourself. Most of the time, I'm overseas somewhere and cannot attend. You were talking about weight gain, I do not care about how big you think you are, or how fat your old lady is. Nobody pulled your chain, and ask for your opinion you troll. I have more respect for my dip spitter than I have for you, and I spit in my dip spitter. 

May 28, 2020, 6:21 PM

What the #### did you just ####### say about me, you little #####? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the #### out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ####### words. You think you can get away with saying that #### to me over the Internet? Think again, ######. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ####### dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ### off the face of the continent, you little ####. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ####### tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you ####### idiot. I will #### fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ####### dead, kiddo.

May 28, 2020, 6:25 PM

Not funny I didn't laugh. Your joke is so bad I would have preferred the joke went over my head and you gave up re-telling me the joke. To be honest this is a horrid attempt at trying to get a laugh out of me. Not a chuckle, not a hehe, not even a subtle burst of air out of my esophagus. Science says before you laugh your brain preps your face muscles but I didn't even feel the slightest twitch. 0/10 this joke is so bad I cannot believe anyone legally allowed you to be creative at all. The amount of brain power you must have put into that joke has the potential to power every house on Earth. Get a personality and learn how to make jokes, read a book. I'm not saying this to be funny I genuinely mean it on how this is just bottom barrel embarrassment at comedy. You've single handedly killed humor and every comedic act on the planet. I'm so disappointed that society has failed as a whole in being able to teach you how to be funny. Honestly if I put in all my power and time to try and make your joke funny it would require Einstein himself to build a device to strap me into so I can be connected to the energy of a billion stars to do it, and even then all that joke would get from people is a subtle scuff. You're lucky I still have the slightest of empathy for you after telling that joke otherwise I would have committed every war crime in the book just to prevent you from attempting any humor ever again. We should put that joke in text books so future generations can be wary of becoming such an absolute comedic failure. Im disappointed, hurt, and outright offended that my precious time has been wasted in my brain understanding that joke. In the time that took I was planning on helping kids who have been orphaned, but because of that you've waisted my time explaining the obscene integrity of your terrible attempt at comedy. Now those kids are suffering without meals and there's nobody to blame but you. I hope you're happy with what you have done and I truly hope you can move on and learn from this #### poor attempt

Ok I am regretting this now***

May 28, 2020, 6:27 PM

May 28, 2020, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes, ]

God you sound like a little #####, not surprising that you look like one as well. Maybe when you get halfway to my level you will realize that I can say whatever the **** I like, but I doubt that will ever happen. And even though your face looks like it's spent 9 rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime I doubt you've ever been in a real fight, my guess is the only moves you would know are the "tap" or bloodied gurgle as you slip in and out of consciousness. So let's do this thing, tell me when and where homeslice. I'll ****ing crank your neck back and use that mop that you call a head of hair to wipe your ### after you **** your pants.

May 28, 2020, 6:29 PM

Lets not escalate this any further. I want to apologize for crossing the line a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to grind your gears for being out of line and pushing my buttons in one of your posts. We can settle our differences and take the higher road by not posting unnecessary slants at each other. To me the Lounge is a lot like pouring a home brewed beer. 95% of what comes out of the bottle is drinkable but that last little bit where all of the junk settles and mixes with some of the good stuff gets dumped down the drain. That sediment at the bottom of the bottle is a crucial part of making the beer but isn't necessary to digest or make the beer taste better. That last 5% is how I will view your posts from now on.

May 28, 2020, 6:34 PM

If I post something somebody doesn't agree with I'm sorry. I like expressing my opinions on things I know clemson ball pretty well. I may post something somebody my not agree with I just like to see others opinions again if I offend some body by saying the wrong thing I'm sorry. Go tigers #beat Louisville

I am out of applicable copypastas, but I will give you one

May 28, 2020, 6:35 PM

for safekeeping, you stupid punk.

Every night I think about the doctor who did humanity a disservice by not crushing your infant skull the moment you were born.

saved

May 28, 2020, 6:41 PM

Your very sick person and need help. I feel sorry for your parents. I bet they regret ever giving birth to your sick self

Re: saved

May 28, 2020, 6:46 PM

No I've recently got rid of Facebook an making some life changes in my life. I know this doesn't have anything to do with football on this comment right here but I'm a recovering alcoholic an addict an trying to find a nice friendly place to talk to good people about football. I'm trying to stay away from the drama an negative things in my life. Anger was a big problem for me. I know I may not should have shared this in here but I'm not ashamed of who I am. Sorry guys an gals now back to football 

Re: saved

May 28, 2020, 9:38 PM

Participating in epic thread.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Are YOU really questioning the education and intelligence

May 28, 2020, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Are YOU really questioning the education and intelligence ]

Why are you here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds a lot like capitalism

May 28, 2020, 5:30 PM

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! WHO WOULD EVER REFUTE THIS?!?!?

Don't disagree with any of that. There are two factors here

May 28, 2020, 5:41 PM

that I am not sure what to think about, one legal, and the other a definition of "speech".

As to the legal one, I know that at one time it was important for social media owners to claim they were not creators of content but providers of platforms only. That was bs from the get go: when one promotes one view and bans others, that is now creating content. I think we are finally admitting to that. Is anything related to internet usage owned by the public and administered by the govt, a la airwaves for TV and radio? I honestly don't know. The question comes because Zuckerberg jumped through some verbal hoops trying to keep his status as a platform rather than a creator of content. Why was this important to him from a legal standpoint?

As to definition of speech, we now have a very few people controlling - not providing but controlling - all we see and hear. Those very few creators do not present viewpoints as much as they manipulate events to present a reality manufactured in their minds. We once called this op-ed, but is that actually the case now?

I forget the name for it, but the technology to use one image to create video now makes the falseness of the video undetectable. We will be seeing actual people saying things, events portrayed as real which will actually be fake. The line between real and fake is becoming, and will become, unrecognizable. Because we form opinions and take action based on the reality we see, is that level of fake reality merely "speech"? I am not discussing acceptable vs unacceptable speech, which is a dangerous thing to consider: I am instead suggesting that there may now be something that is not speech at all.

Forget politics for a second. I am talking about what speech actually is. If something now is happening that is not "speech" as we have known it to be and protected, and if this new thing is controlled by an oligarchy at best and maybe a monopoly, shouldn't we the people take steps to establish a culture of speech rather than control via fake reality?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I hear you.

May 28, 2020, 6:21 PM

Point 1: Platform vs. Content creator
Really interesting point about where you draw the line with a "platform." I gotta say, I don't know. I've seen a defamation lawsuit against a person for posting a review of a business. What happens when the platform gets involved with that content? Now, to an extent the platform is always involved: there are always standards and editorial rights. I expect this question has been hashed out somewhere, but I don't know.

Point 2: The Content Creators
I agree that a few people control what's on the airwaves, but not so much what's on the internet. We can't easily form a startup to provide a new TV news channel, but anyone can start a website. That's why your uncle's Facebook feed is filled with links from websites you've never heard of. And Facebook (the "platform") is just on top right now: anyone can launch a competitor, and people actually do. I know people who only use Twitter, or Instagram, or what-have-ya.

Point 3: Fakery
Fake videos and stuff like that are going to be a huge problem going forward. Maybe we'll invent programs that can detect fakery?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

You wrote a much shorter version...

May 28, 2020, 5:42 PM

Of what I just posted, but dead on. I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Twitter doesn't stifle free speech.

May 29, 2020, 1:43 AM

This isn't a free speech issue. Its an issue of whether twitter is a mere platform or if they are going to provide commentary of their own on the content being posted. That makes them no different than any other news site. They need to ether hire a few hundred thousand fact checkers (and they can't all be left wing scumbags) to fact check every thing, and even then they will screw that up, or they need to get out of the fact checking business. Their days of only fact checking, banning, etc people they disagree with are over.

Re: Twitter, facebook and youtube have liability cutouts.

May 29, 2020, 8:33 AM

If the platform remains neutered and doesn't edit or editorialize it remains free of liability. That is the law which gives them the cutouts that newspapers and other news sources don't have. When a social media takes voice it must be liable for content.

To get this cutout the social medium was expected to allow everyone to have a voice. It's a deal between government and these entities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News outlets have strong protections against defamation.***

May 29, 2020, 10:00 AM

- Jonathan Swift

Keep it simple, no one should be in favor of censorship

May 29, 2020, 10:45 AM

People should be allowed to be wrong. People should be allowed to be biased and have horrible opinions. Why is this even a debate?

Remember the context, the President's EO is a direct response to Twitter after they fact-check'd his tweets. For years now, he has been allowed to run his mouth as freely as anyone else, and he has never been censored, let alone challenged by the platform to prove his intellectual rigor. Twitter has let him go, no matter how many things he said that were outright, dangerous lies.

So the irony here is that he is inviting Twitter to become the defacto censor. The one platform that allows him unfettered access to billions of eyeballs around the world, and he is challenging them to go another step to suspend his account for things like defamation when he tweeted that TV infotainment guy Joe Scarborough murdered a woman.

Talk about an indecent Tweet. It was incredibly cruel to the dead woman's husband and has forced him to relive this whole drama on the national stage. A good lawyer could make a case there was actual damage to both the husband and Scarborough. And so Trump's plan to stifle this kind of horrible speech is actually an indictment.....against himself.

And quite frankly, the remedy for this is not to have Twitter become the censor, it is for people to resolve their injuries in a courtroom. So if someone was injured by that cruel Trump tweet, they should be able to sue his ### for the injury, just as they would if a person made the defaming claim in the public square. They will then have to prove real damage in the lawsuit, which is not always so easy.

But censorship? This is the wrong way to go. And it is comical that the one person who is the most prominent abuser of the platform is trying to force them to become the censor.

This is Kafka and Orwell rolled up into one.

Replies: 33
| visibility 582
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic