Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone old enough to remember
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Anyone old enough to remember

Jun 9, 2015, 6:11 PM

what it was like when HOF coach F. Howard was 'fired'? Ingram, Parker etc., etc.,etc. Took years before DF came along.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone old enough to remember

Jun 9, 2015, 6:22 PM

Coach Howard was not fired. He retired. As he liked to say for "health reasons" as the alumni were sick of him. He was head coach and AD. When he stepped down he remained AD for a couple of more years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Correct***

Jun 9, 2015, 6:34 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone old enough to remember ]

Did you happen to notice " "?

Jun 9, 2015, 6:36 PM

lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Obviously, you are not old enough to remember...........

Jun 9, 2015, 6:48 PM

what happened in an accurate manner.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Obviously, you are not old enough to remember...........

Jun 9, 2015, 7:05 PM

Frank did retire and called himself "coach Emeritus"...Then came Hootie who stayed around 3 years...I remember red's last game and he beat the crap out of USuC and I heard about his firing at the Iptay Classic at Littlejohn which was a surprise after he beat USuC so bad. hated in a way to see Red go, but he lost control of the team....Charley was a good one as far as discipline and then Danny. Keep in mind that Frank had not been to a bowl game since the Blue Bonnet Bowl in the late 50's and we were just not very competitive as it seemed like we played Alabama, Auburn and Georgia and Tech every year...but, in Frank's parting words, he said with the schedules he was leaving his successors, he would be remembered a long long time...as bad as Hootie and Red were, hatfield was worse

Re: Obviously, you are not old enough to remember...........

Jun 9, 2015, 7:27 PM

Well, remember when Frank coached, there weren't very many bowls. While we usually won the ACC, the outside teams usually beat us. We played SEC games to make money.

Re: Or read***

Jun 9, 2015, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Obviously, you are not old enough to remember........... ]

Jun 9, 2015, 7:01 PM

Old enough to remember Parker, but the only thing important then was beating Carolina and winning the ACC which it seemed only Maryland and Clemson cared about winning. No one had any thoughts about winning it all until Charlie Pell came along and along with him was a tenacious offensive line coach named Danny Ford.

Howard had a long, successful career, was widely respected,

Jun 9, 2015, 7:13 PM

and knew when it was time to hang it up and go out the right way. Hootie Ingram was just a bad hire. I really think Red Parker, like Brad Brownell, was a good coach who walked into a tough situation and actually recruited a lot of the players that turned the program around under Pell.

That's the way I remember it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Howard had a long, successful career, was widely respected,

Jun 9, 2015, 7:30 PM

Many at the time Parker was fired, especially students, were stunned. His last team was very competitive, but very young. Pell, who Parker hired, walked into a great 'stepping-stone' situation. Few, least of all me, didn't think that '77 team wouldn't have accomplished with Red at the helm as with Pell. And at day's end, we know who had the character...and who didn't.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Howard would have been fired before 10 years had he been

Jun 9, 2015, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Howard had a long, successful career, was widely respected, ]

coaching these days.

Legends will be replaced by Petrinos more and more as the years go by.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2015, 8:03 PM

Remember it well. Coach liked to say he retired due to health issues, " the alumni got sick of him ". Hootie tried but never had a spark and I really liked Red Parker . Don't remember much of an explanation on his departure.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I recall the Howard situation very well, for during my

Jun 9, 2015, 8:42 PM

junior year (1967-1968,) I served as the Editor-in-Chief of "The Tiger"...at that time the main source of information and communication across the campus and within the nearby community.

Beginning that year our staff had a number of phone calls, letters and visits from alumni, fans and students who were growing restless over our lackluster years. We hadn't been to a bowl game in a long while, and the South Carolina game had become the end-all to each season.

We were cautious out of respect to Coach Howard and to what we knew would be a loudly vocal crowd rushing to his support. However, there was movement behind the scenes, so to speak, and this is what eventually led to a conversation I had with Howard...off the record...as to his future plans. He was aware of the rumblings and stated succinctly that the "alumni and big money donors" would dictate his tenure.

Later, in a meeting with Dean Walter Cox (and not relating my chat with Howard) I asked him about our program's future with Howard. Cox simply stated that he, too, was aware of dissatisfaction but that any talk of Howard's retention would kindle "too large a fire," as he put it.

"The Tiger" in those days was controlled solely and completely by its senior staff led by the Editor, and in a closed-door meeting a fiery discussion ensued as to our position, regarding Howard. We decided that any movement at the time would be premature and would provoke controversy just for the sake of controversy...a foolish concept in journalistic circles.

The facts are that Howard was confronted with a suggestion that he become the AD, thereby relinquishing HC duties and that he would be allowed to retire gracefully after a stint as AD. He saw the hand-writing on the wall in late 1969. By that time I had graduated and was on military duty in Europe. When I heard the news, I wasn't surprised...somewhat saddened, of course, but not surprised.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I recall the Howard situation very well, for during my

Jun 10, 2015, 3:17 PM

You are very correct Mr. Hartins. I will be 74 in a few days and I remember the later Howard years very,very well. Quite honestly the situation with Coach L should have been handled in the same way but times are different now. I remember Coach Howard saying that he would give the coaching duties to Inghram but he better not change Death Valley to Hooties Holler! Like some on tnet ... he got the last word!

Re: I recall the Howard situation very well, for during my

Jun 11, 2015, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I recall the Howard situation very well, for during my ]

Bless you for this information. As a Class of 1970 guy I was around all this and was fine/OK with Frank retiring. Sure he was "Nudged" out but it was appropriate. I found it interesting that my 30-year HS Coach also stepped down that spring.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2015, 8:43 PM

Red was fired like the week before final exams in 1976. I think we went 3-6-2 that season with a whipping from the DAWGS in the Valley and a tie to Duke on Homecoming day when a field goal hit the cross bar and went through for Duke to tie us. Beat the dirtpeckers, but that was not enough to save his job. Think Willie Jordan was the QB that year.

Bill McC...(spelling?) was the AD.

Jun 9, 2015, 9:59 PM

It was a frustrating season...17 points in the right column was difference between 3-6-2 and 8-3.
Willie Jordan? Uhm....no....
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=68&Season=1976

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2015, 9:01 PM

yes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 9, 2015, 9:58 PM

I remember the day he retired. He was not fired. At all. I knew, when Danny Ford was fired, how long it would take us to recover.

I had just started to really get into Clemson football when

Jun 10, 2015, 5:08 AM

Red Parker was fired, Charley Pell stuck it to us bolting for FU and then DF was hired. He may have had a longer more successful coaching career if he had remained at Clemson. But "Ford had a better idea"

Heard Red Parker found out over his car radio he was being fired while on his way to meet with the AD and the President as well as others in the administration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 4:12 PM

Frank was somewhat like Bowden at FSU, but much, much worse. Geez - it was agony watching his teams play football in the late 60's. Cheering for those teams was a true act of futility. It was a blessing when he retired. Jack should have retired too, but obviously would not, so what happened had to happen. Jack must have been somewhat delirious in his latter years thinking he could still make our team better. Sometimes, I guess they just don't get it. Ol' farts...oh wait.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic