Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone here attend the last Big Thursday in 1959?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Anyone here attend the last Big Thursday in 1959?

Nov 30, 2023, 4:41 PM

Just curious because my dad has the program and ticket stubs from the game, and what he says is a piece of the goalpost. Story he tells is a bunch of Clemson students tore down the goalpost and carried it across the street to the farmer's market and cut it up with a hacksaw. What I have is a 1-foot section of steel tube. It's painted white on the outside and has bare metal on the inside. Bunch of names are signed on it, mostly friends of my father's from the time period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, my Fresh yr i attended the last Big Thursday in 1959?

Nov 26, 2019, 4:53 PM

Don't know about the goalpost deal but wished I'd been incited (meant invited).

But, i did stupidly jump over the hedges from front row seat b/4 start of game with several others after seeing the Tiger have his tail snatched off his rear by Coot male cheerleaders..

and as I got to midfield field one of them chased me back to the hedges full speed (i chickened out quickly since I weighed 125 lbs wet & he about 215)..

and as I was about to hurdle the hedges he got hold of my rear kakki pocket & ripped it down about 6 inches exposing my underwear..

and that day I learned that the CU-SCU game isn't a lovefest for Sissies!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's awesome. There are goalpost pieces in Columbia

Nov 26, 2019, 4:57 PM

bars from SCar's 0-21 ending victory against New Mexico State. Yes. They tore down the goalposts for that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just trying to confirm they came down that game

Nov 26, 2019, 5:05 PM

If they tore it down, there's a very good chance it's legit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just trying to confirm they came down that game

Nov 26, 2019, 6:08 PM

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-sep-03-sp-15019-story.html

Apparently the fans tore down both of them. You can't make this stuff up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone here attend the last Big Thursday in 1959?

Nov 26, 2019, 5:01 PM

I was there as an 8th grader with a friend and his DAd. Saw a bunch of fights before the game at the state fair and a couple of mass confrontations between student bodies before the game. I don't remember the tearing down of goalposts though. Might have happened but we hustled out of the stadium for the ride back to Cheraw after the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

This includes a picture with the goal post down.

Nov 26, 2019, 5:13 PM

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article213411714.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That looks like what I have. Thanks!***

Nov 26, 2019, 5:43 PM

Re: This includes a picture with the goal post down.

Nov 26, 2019, 6:00 PM [ in reply to This includes a picture with the goal post down. ]

Please be attaching. No subscription to The State's worst newspaper.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty decent match.

Nov 26, 2019, 7:24 PM [ in reply to This includes a picture with the goal post down. ]

I was only 10 years old, but I was there at the final Big

Nov 26, 2019, 5:30 PM

Thursday. When we were walking back to the car after the game, I actually saw some people carrying a big section of the goal post down the street and then putting it down and cutting it up with a saw. Don't know if it was your dad's group or not.

I also have the game program, which I recently passed on to my daughter. She was born at Clemson when I was in grad school and goes to all the home games with me. We also went to Tampa and Santa Clara, and are planning to be at the Super Dome in January.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks!***

Nov 26, 2019, 5:45 PM

Re: I was only 10 years old, but I was there at the final Big

Nov 26, 2019, 6:53 PM [ in reply to I was only 10 years old, but I was there at the final Big ]

TU. That’s the kind of support that I speak of frequently. Be there. Support the Tigers.

Nov 26, 2019, 6:03 PM

I was there with multiple Tiger friends and some with their dates. It was a great Wed. night and Thursday/Friday morning in the State Capital. A very big get together as I remember at the Wade Hampton Hotel on Wednesday evening had loads of Clemson folks there. It was a Tiger celebration all over Columbia for that weekend and beyond. There was no strong resistance to the Tiger fans getting the goalposts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my first one

Nov 26, 2019, 6:58 PM

Was the first game in the Valley the next year. What a night before that game. It was the tradition back in those days if the Tigers won the game the rats could quit wearing the rat hats! That was big, believe me. I’ll never forget rats trying to shinny up the greased flag pole in front of Tillman Hall and placing their hat atop the pole. Few were successfully! Occasionally adult beverages were present. Gator Farr —— that’s a whole nuther’ Story! Wish I was twenty again!

Nov 26, 2019, 7:09 PM

I ATTENDED WITH MY DAD, HE HAD TAKEN ME TO SEVERAL CLEMSON GAMES IN THE VALLEY, BUT THAT WAS THE FIRST AWAY GAME I SAW.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anyone alive then knows how to use a computer.

Nov 26, 2019, 7:31 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2019, 12:00 AM

My first Big Thursday was 1959. Turns out it was the last one too. Enjoyed the beat down that day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic