Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone from Augusta?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Anyone from Augusta?

Feb 6, 2015, 9:40 PM

I'm thinking about taking a job at Ft Gordon and want to see what people thought of the area. Also which part of town to avoid terms of where to live (schools aren't an issue).

When I was in the military I was stationed there but that has been 20 years ago. One advantage to Augusta is it greatly shorten my roughly 8,000 miles I drive every year going to Clemson games.

Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone from Augusta?

Feb 6, 2015, 9:53 PM

I live in Evan, and I can say with absolute certainty that the community around Fort Gordon is awesome. I would not recommend residing in Richmond county, for crime is pretty common there. Personally, I can give you a ringing endorsement for Evans and Colombia County; always thing to do, Evans is a very active and fruitful community. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions/need to knows!

Hope that helps!

GOOOOOO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2015, 9:55 PM

Columbia county best schools in state. Easy access to ft . Gordon. Really nice area to live an work. 2 hour drive or less to Clemson. Lot of clemson grads .in area

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2015, 9:58 PM

If you do not have to live on base, your best bet is Columbia County. Grovetown has really exploded growth wise the last 10 years, with new schools and shopping centers. By all means stay out of South Augusta. The only part of Augusta proper worth living in is thr Summerville area around the college. It has lots of older stately homes but they can be pricey.

Feb 6, 2015, 10:03 PM

It depends on how far you want to drive, and what kind of housing you are looking for. North Augusta is just across the river a variety of properties condos, homes, and rural acreage. You would be close to Clarks Hill if you would like lake property. Columbia County is were the area has developed. Martinez and Evans are towns with all the amenities. Lots traffic out there. Best thing to do is get you a realtor. I could recommend one that I just bought a house through. Nice lady Jasmin Bradley with Keller Williams Realty in Augusta. There are quite a bit of options in the Augusta area. It really depends on how far you want to drive. I would go on line check it out.

Feb 6, 2015, 10:17 PM

I live in Richmond County in West Augusta, and I assure you that it is just as nice as Columbia County.
Crime can happen anywhere. Also, North Augusta in SC would be close to Fort Gordon. I am from Aiken, and it is a great place, but it would be too far from Fort Gordon in my opinion. I would avoid living in South Augusta. I can get to Clemson in two hours from my house so it is a very easy drive.

Feb 7, 2015, 9:04 AM

Richmond County is not a preferred location, It is a political mess and in financial turmoil. Columbia County or Aiken County SC would be better.

Welcome to the Masters Tournament!***

Feb 6, 2015, 10:09 PM

Feb 6, 2015, 10:17 PM

I heard they got a really nice golf course there. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2015, 10:48 PM

Thanks all. Lots of good info. Once I figure out what I'm gonna do I may hit some of you up with other questions then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 12:09 AM

I am from north Augusta. If you have any questions, hit me up.
I would not live near Gordon. And , north Augusta is exactly 2 hours 20 minutes from Clemson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2015, 2:24 AM

Columbia county, GA or north Augusta, SC

wouldn't buy in Richmond county because of schools but nice rentals and some nice areas

we moved to north Aug about 4 years ago...quite happy here...Columbia county has a bunch of cool parks and yearly events

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree North Augusta or Columbia County

Feb 7, 2015, 6:37 AM

I moved here a year and half ago to North Augusta and love the town, live on a 8 mile paved greenway. North Augusta and Columbia County GA have better schools and less crime. There are some nice areas in the city of Augusta but I would not send kids to public schools there and the nice areas in the city are pricey and you get a lot less house for your buck. I work in Augusta and get to work in 7-10 minutes even though Im on the other side of the river.

So, you are saying, you can now make the night games?***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:15 AM

Welcome back!***

Feb 7, 2015, 7:15 AM

Aiken is a good choice

Feb 7, 2015, 9:18 AM

Always has been.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Feb 7, 2015, 9:22 AM

Lots of good info from all posters. The new mission at the Fort will bring in many new folks and should cause an uptick in home prices in all the recommended areas. As an Aiken County resident, I have to put my 2 cents in with an invite to the SC side of the river. The North Augusta area is beautiful, and the I-520 corridor allows a quick commute to Ft Gordon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aiken native, family in auguata

Feb 7, 2015, 10:22 AM

There was an old saying years ago, Augusta was one if those places where you really likes it or really hated it. Richmond county and city of Augusta merged, lots of struggles last 20 years. Evans was where the suburbia flight went. The hill had a resurgence 20 years ago. If you can stand the commute, aiken is a great place, but smaller town.

He said he didn't care about schools.Why u wanna harp on it?

Feb 7, 2015, 1:50 PM

Richmond county only if you got mad cash for the Hill area which is the best part of town.Columbia county if you like suburban living,however crazy property taxes..McDuffie county [Thomson] and Lincoln county are 40 min drive to fort but they've got all the reasonable priced land you wanna build on or buy.

Mar 31, 2015, 6:29 AM

Looks like I will be moving to Augusta after all. I'm excited that roughly 175 hours of steering wheel time I do every year going to Clemson games will decrease (of maybe I just go to more things). I am looking at the Evans/Appling and North Augusta areas right now. I've been looking (online) at all the houses in the area. Does anyone have any opinions about which builders are good and who to stay away from? Anyone know anything about Riverwood Plantation in Evans - seems to be a nice area but looks can be deceiving.

Thanks all for the great comments.

Mar 31, 2015, 10:44 AM

i have been here 20 years and love it, very close to a lot of places, and great place to live, especially the first week of April.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2015, 6:12 PM

I thought the first week of April was the week everyone took vacations and rented their house out to strangers :)

Mar 31, 2015, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone from Augusta? ]

Planning to build? No interest in existing homes?

Looking at both

Mar 31, 2015, 6:11 PM

I'm looking at both new and existing homes and have about 50 on my list right now. In Evans it seems about a third of the houses on the market are new and many of the existing ones are pretty "young". I tend to be fairly picky which might push me to a newer house. I will be making a trip down to have a look and see what I can find.

Re: Looking at both

Apr 1, 2015, 8:58 PM

Columbia county is good but I prefer South Carolina. North Augusta is a nice bedroom community. Lots of nice homes near exit 1 or exit 5. Convenient. Lots of new businesses opening in the area too. I would suggest getting a four month lease somewhere until you have a chance to spend some time in the area.

I grew up in Aiken and my in-laws are all

Apr 1, 2015, 11:06 PM

In Augusta ("hill area" some here). I currently live in Greenville. Anyone who even attempts to say that the hill
Area of Augusta is too expensive (esp if you are not worried about schools) is completely out to lunch. I know for a fact that you can buy a nice house in the hill area for about $.60 on the dollar for what an equivalent house in the Augusta rd area of Greenville would cost. That's where I would go if schools were not an issue and I had to move to Augusta. I would also consider Aiken, but there is about a 40-min drive

Mar 31, 2015, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone from Augusta? ]

River wood is very nice. Only negative is traffic around school start and end. It is tough to navigate from about 7 to 8,am with the high school middle school and elementary traffic.

Mar 31, 2015, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone from Augusta? ]

There is a nice house for sale in my neighborhood. It is in West Augusta, but I could throw a rock to Columbia County. It is very easy to get to a Clemson from this part of town.

Since everyone has convinced you where to live, I

Mar 31, 2015, 10:34 PM

recommend you eat at Rae's Coastal Cafe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic