Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone else been through open heart surgery?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 101

Anyone else been through open heart surgery?

Feb 11, 2018, 10:51 AM

Been a week and feel much better than I thought I would. Main incision doing great but dang my leg is hurting the most. Triple so they cut neck, arm and leg to "harvest" parts for bypass. If wasn't for the leg would feel good.

Really started noticing chest pain at end of football. To the point couldn't really watch games due to pain.

Younger folks please keep tabs on health!! While I'm doing good wouldn't wish those first few days after surgery on anyone!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone else been through open heart surgery?

Feb 11, 2018, 10:54 AM

Glad all is good now and praying for you to have a full recovery. Go Tigers !!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch out ATL !

Feb 11, 2018, 11:34 AM

At this rate with a newer strong heart, you're probably gonna "have to" live thru at least 5 more Natty Wins..something a Coot Fan will NEVER have to worry about even with an infant's fresh heart!

LoL ...??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh..glad you're feeling better

Feb 11, 2018, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone else been through open heart surgery? ]

except for leg which is normal i've heard.

Get better & Gut eR Done TiGER!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 11:42 AM

Been there, done that. Have the T-Shrt (and the scar). Defect fixed at age 42.

Hang in there. It is a rough procedure to go through. Takes awhile to recover physically and mentally. Don't try to rush it.

Feb 11, 2018, 12:07 PM

Had quadruple bypass surgery and valve replacement at age 66 the last of June. Feeling good now but getting a little lax with diet. Follow orders from doctor and take cardiac rehab sessions seriously.My cardiac rehab,36 sessions,at Carolina Pines in Hartsville was extremely helpful. The director and staff were great.

Feb 11, 2018, 12:13 PM

It has been 11 months since my quadruple bypass surgery. I went back to work in 3 months with no pain except in my hands. Hope your recovery goes well and we can watch many more tiger victories.

Best wishes for full recovery - will take you advice & go

Feb 11, 2018, 12:33 PM

for some exercise today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my dad had several before he passed at age 83.

Feb 11, 2018, 12:37 PM

His first one was in his 40's I'm pretty sure

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 12:49 PM

Aortic Valve job at age 40 - initial pain goes away pretty fast. Now 24 years of Coumadin sucks, but otherwise all good. No blockage.

Had my aortic valve replaced a little over 3 months ago

Feb 11, 2018, 12:58 PM

(on Halloweeen day). My advice is to be patient, as recovery for me was not a linear progression upward, and you will have good days and bad days, especially early on. It was hard for me to accept that I wasn't able to just rest up for 2-3 weeks, take some ibuprofen, and then pick right back up where I left off. I was nearly 12 weeks out before I started to feel anywhere close to normal. Some do it more quickly, some take longer; it's different for everybody. Listen to your body, be patient, and put in the work in cardiac rehab. Good luck - hope your goes smoothly. You should feel much better when all is said and done!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes, I have

Feb 11, 2018, 1:16 PM

I had open heart surgery 3 years ago (December 2, 2014). I had a cm aneurysm that had to be repaired and an aortic valve replacement. Through God's grace, I am doing great! I was out of work for exactly 2 months (went back on Feb. 2, 2015).

I live in Greenville but, due to the size and complexity of the aneurysm, the hospitals here would not do my surgery. They sent me to Emory in Atl. I was in the hospital a week and ICU for 24 hours.

The worst part of my surgery was the nerve damage that occurred in my left hand. Apparently, when they placed me on the operating table to open up my chest, they positioned my arm in such a way that it damaged some nerves going to my left hand. I just had to have surgery (about a month ago) on that hand to repair the damage. Hopefully it will be successful. I tell you all this to say, I'm doing great, and my future is bright.

Do what the doctors tell you, including exercise, and I'm sure you will be too! Good luck and God Bless!

Feb 11, 2018, 1:19 PM

Thanks for info and words of encouragement. 60 here a t to turn 61. Tensions g to want to overdo at times (now) Feel reAlly good and want to walk around be up too much and then crash.

But better everyday.

Thanks Bill for that five more natties comment. Only five??? Lol

Feb 11, 2018, 1:23 PM

Been there done that...it’s off my bucket list. Lol. Seriously, before you sneeze and you take that big breath to sneeze,EXHALE COMPLETELY. Just do it, you will thank me. Walk and exercise will get you up and going. I had my surgery almost four years ago and I still feel the wires holding me shut every so often. I still play golf and do anything I want to and the s u rgery has been a blessing to me. I actually go for a check up Tuesday. Good luck!

Feb 11, 2018, 1:53 PM

Yes, in June of 2010. It was quadruple and never had a great deal of pain after getting home. I went on a Thursday and came out the following Monday. It take a while to get over it, but it probably prevented a major heart attack. Praise The Lord! Do what your cardiologist tells you to do. Watch your diet and get regular exercise and put your trust in The Lord Jesus Christ.

Glad you are doing better !***

Feb 11, 2018, 4:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 5:34 PM

I have not personally been through open heart surgery, but have worked in cardiac rehab for 18 years. Hang in there; it will get better. Follow your doctor's instructions, don't use your arms until released to do so. Eat a healthy diet with good sources of protein for healing. If you have not been referred or signed up to participate in cardiac rehab, please do so. Even though I am biased, I see every day how much it helps people to get better and stronger, plus gain back their self confidence. Remember, making lifestyle changes is still very important. You can get back to "normal", even better life. Best of luck to you, you will be in my prayers.

Feb 11, 2018, 6:47 PM

Just stop taking the pain pills as soon as you bare the pain without them. Just tough it out as soon as possible, and don't become a statistic with the millions hooked on pain killers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 7:35 PM

My dad had a triple bypass 5 years ago at 81. He's always been thin as a rail but did live directly across from the Varsity when he was at Tech. So, apparently it took sixty-plus years for the chili-cheese to catch up to him. :)

He had a couple of setbacks during recovery, mostly what the pain meds did to his digestive system. After a few weeks at the rehab facility, he came home with instructions to get up and walk across the room at least once an hour. I drop my dog off at their house most weekday mornings, and she was happy to remind Dad throughout the day that he should get up and let her in or out. His surgery was in Sept and by Thanksgiving he was able to attend my nephew's Eagle ceremony three hours away. (We didn't let him drive though.) It also took him months to get much of an appetite back.

I've had other surgeries myself and can tell you it will take several weeks to quit feeling like the mailbox is a mile away (unless you actually can't see it from the house).

Basically just follow your post-op instructions, keep your doctor appointments, watch for swelling in your ankles, and enjoy the Olympics and March Madness til you're back on a more normal schedule!

Feb 12, 2018, 1:02 AM

Glad you’re ok. My leg hurt worse than the chest incision. Seems they cut through a nerve. My left leg is numb from the incision down. It’s been almost 2 years now. Walk a lot and get stronger. Prayers.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:39 AM

When they remove the vein to use as the bypass they just rip it out. all the nerves attached just die or find another source. The numbness probably will never go away but no real pain after a few weeks. Go Tigers.

Feb 12, 2018, 2:41 AM

Do the walking and activity they tell you to do. Hope for a quick recovery

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 12, 2018, 10:37 AM

my leg was the worse part of the recovery as well, It felt like someone had taken a sledge hammer and hit me on my leg. Glad to see you make it through. Quadruple bypass at 48 just 5 years ago. Good luck on the keeping up with the diet. I asked my first heart doctor after I was released from him if I could skydive and scuba dive and his response was you have to die of something. So I took that as eat what you want. It's not like your going to get through this life alive. Go Tigers.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:53 AM

Glad to hear you made it through and caught it ahead of something that could have been a much worse situation.

Keep that good attitude, and stay focused on your recovery.

All us Tigers got your back, and there’s plenty more Championships we want you around to see!

Feb 12, 2018, 11:17 AM

Well, I've been to Clemson football games so in a way...

Feb 12, 2018, 6:55 PM

Heart attack Dec 24, 2015 - bypass(x4) on the 28th. Remember it all: the numb fingers in my left hand; the leg pain; the first sneeze; the tubes and wires stuck in my chest and other unholy places; removal of the same; the pure joy of taking that first hot shower and feeling clean again, etc. Everyone else has given great advice so I'll just say take it easy and give yourself time to heal before jumping back into work. Don't push it like I did. Wishing you a speedy recovery - GOD bless.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:55 PM

Just had one of my best friends go through a triple Friday. Already in a private room and doing well. Long, slow process, but he can already tell more energy due to increased blood flow and oxygen. Tried to tell the dummy to quit smoking 6 years ago when he had to have 2 stints put in. Hopefully, he gives them up this time. And yes I was a smoker for 32 years before quitting cold turkey 9 years ago. Can deal with the extra 20 Lbs. it put on me (run 3-4 miles /day now). Hope you get along well and heal quickly.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:29 PM

I had a quad bypass in 2006. I had some complications post-surgery and was in the hospital for 11 days. Rehab was tough but it is extremely important to how well you'll do later on. I've done fine ever since, thanks to God and good doctors!

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Feb 12, 2018, 10:33 PM

Yep.... it’s no fun. But I feel lots better. Leg still cramps on long walks

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Feb 14, 2018, 4:02 AM

Keep up your walking and eating right

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Best wishes on your recovery. Go Tigers!***

Feb 14, 2018, 6:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

I had triple back in 2014. Once over the initial pain of

Feb 14, 2018, 8:12 AM

having chest sawn in half (and OH YEAH, that was much, much worse than all the pain from needing and having 3 low back surgeries COMBINED), my leg where they harvested the veins also was the most aggravating. Since it did not have as good a blood flow (they took part of it with the veins!), it took awhile to heal. Probably took a good year before the nerves all regenerated in the chest area, and did not feel a "dead" sensation area when touching.

I still remember praying for 3 small things when I woke up from the surgery, and the pain kicked in every time I breathed.

1) Lord, please don't make me cough.
2) Lord, please please don't make me sneeze.
3. Lord, above all else, please please please don't make me vomit.

Trying to cough without moving your chest at ALL is really an art form, ain't it?

Replies: 31
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic