Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone concerned about the Aggies next
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Anyone concerned about the Aggies next

Aug 28, 2018, 7:40 AM

Weekend ? I know they stunk it up last year but you know they go ol' Jimbo now and I'd prefer playing someone who knows less about us. Welcome your feedback. Yea I'm looking ahead. Just can't get too worried over the Paladins.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone concerned about the Aggies next

Aug 28, 2018, 7:49 AM

Big time road game...won't be a cake walk...road games are tough

And they play Thurs night so a couple extra days of prep

...and Jimbo has some insight

We win, but better BYOG

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's how I view it as well Whis!

Aug 28, 2018, 8:55 AM

Good brief analysis

Aug 28, 2018, 7:52 AM

Jimbo is not a good coach. He won at FSU because FSU had talent, but, except for the Jameis Winston years, those teams underachieved.

That being said, Kyle Field is not an easy place to play and anything can happen. Overall, I expect it to be a lot like last year's VT game: A big hostile crowd and a motivated opponent doesn't close the gap in talent and coaching.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, what? In his time at FSU he went 83-23,

Aug 28, 2018, 8:11 AM

won a National Championship and 3 ACC Championships.

Part of being a head coach in college is recruiting. He was responsible for getting the talent to come to FSU. I'm at a loss at how anyone could use great recruiting as a reason he's not a good coach.

Jimbo Fisher is a dang good coach and in my opinion it's foolish to say otherwise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Aug 28, 2018, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone concerned about the Aggies next ]

A&M’s average composite recruiting ranking since 2015 is 14.

Clemson’s is 11.

Now I know games are not won on paper, but raw talent gap doesn’t exist in this game.

Best units on both teams are the DL. A&M has 5 running backs that can play. Clemson has better WRs and a slightly better OL.

Aggie defense was decimated by injuries to their leaders on that side last year.

I do think Clemson wins, but I think it won’t be as easy as some on here think. Clemson was probably the better team in 2004 and we beat you 27-6 at Kyle. Granted that was ol Tammy B coaching....

Message was edited by: MagnoliaAggie

Nobody cares about average composite rankings

Aug 28, 2018, 8:16 AM

One of our best receivers had 2 stars, maybe and 0 scholarship offers. Walked on at Clemson, earned a scholarship and caught the national championship winning pass against a bunch of 5-star DBs.

But if composite rankings are what you want to focus on, and if you really believe there isn't a raw talent gap, then why haven't your beloved Texas A&M Longhorns had any recent success?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Nobody cares about average composite rankings

Aug 28, 2018, 8:28 AM

One of your posters was the one that brought up the talent gap... I disagreed, but I also noted my post with words like “raw” and made sure to say the game isn’t played on paper.

What we do have is what comes with highly rated players... take the top off the defense speed and agile giants along the lines.

I could write an essay on why we knew Sumlin wasn’t the guy after the 2014 season but I’ll spare you boredom.

If the game was played on paper we'd win by 30

Aug 28, 2018, 8:35 AM

But it's not, so we'll still win by 30.

Your little elf of a coach Jimbo and his TAMU Longhorn players are gonna be lugubrious in Austin next weekend.

Re: Nobody cares about average composite rankings

Aug 28, 2018, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Nobody cares about average composite rankings ]

Wake Forest put up 50+ on you. How?

The whole “talent gap” argument is stupid, IMO and some

Aug 28, 2018, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Nobody cares about average composite rankings ]

of our fans get carried away. I think it’s because for so long we were being outmanned by many of the teams we played. aTm has loads of talent but...

Where I see the major difference in our programs is in the coaching/culture. We know Jimbo well and I’ll take our staff over yours any day of the week. Y’all can not be taken lightly though.

It should be a good game and I look forward to visiting College Station for the first time. Of course I think the Tigers win but I won’t be surprised if it’s a close game...it’s CFB, anything can happen.

Curious how many of those players are still there?

Aug 28, 2018, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone concerned about the Aggies next ]

Also, why has your defense been so bad for the last 5 years despite those highly ranked classes?

Re: Curious how many of those players are still there?

Aug 28, 2018, 10:10 AM

Defense was salty in 2016 until we lost half of our starting line up in the Bama-Miss State stretch, where we came into the Miss State game #4 in the nation. Half of the ones we lost were career ending injuries. Insert true freshman or RS Freshman across the board.

That's not really excusable. You should be able to plug and play but after that stretch, Sumlin was toast.

I'd also point out that there's a difference between measuring effectiveness of a defense and raw stats. Ever heard, "the best defense relies on an effective offense?" Kevin Sumlin hasn't.

Our offense would either score lightning quick or go 3 and out. There was no churning out a drive. It often left our Defense on the field for 85-100 plays a game. When you looked at raw stats, our D gave up a lot of yards. When adjusted for Def Efficiency, we often shot way up the rankings, especially in Pass D.

Sumlin recruited DL and DB very well. His glaring weakness was not recruiting depth at LB. Our starters are all highly rated, but it drops off dramatically after that. If one gets hurt, we will have a huge hole. Jimbo has addressed that in recruiting so I'm hopeful for the future.

That's an interesting take on Jimbo

Aug 28, 2018, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone concerned about the Aggies next ]

Personally, i saw a guy that took over a program that was struggling and in decline under an over-the-hill coach that stuck around about 5 years too long. After three 7-6 seasons in four years, Jimbo led FSU to 10 wins in his first year, 9 in his 2nd, 12 in his 3rd, and an undefeated national title season in his 4th. Until things eroded last year his "underachieving" both teams went 10-3.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone concerned about the Aggies next ]

so he won a championship by being a bad coach? that doesn't make much sense

Aug 28, 2018, 8:08 AM

Mond is their QB and he doesn't scare me. On paper we should win, but that's why you play the game. If we go in and don't play solid then sure, we could take an L. Every year it seems we have a Pitt or Syracuse game, so it means were not invincible (yet). I'm ready to curb stomp everyone we play this year, but if we do take a loss somewhere, at least be against a top 20/top 15 team that's respectable.

Re: We'll worry about them on Sunday. FOCUS on Saturday

Aug 28, 2018, 8:13 AM

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

clemson football is near the bottom

Aug 28, 2018, 8:18 AM

of the things I'm concerned about.

slightly above the price of rice in china.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

then why do you spent so much time on a Clemson Football

Aug 28, 2018, 8:41 AM

message board?

My thoughts precisely! Ty for asking him

Aug 28, 2018, 9:05 AM

Because I was about to do the same. I find his statement a little hard to believe but if you really don't care about Clemson football you might be in the wrong place.

A bit but only because it's on the road. if this were a home

Aug 28, 2018, 8:19 AM

game i think we would win by 3 TDs.

As it stands, i think we will have to make some big mistakes and turn the ball over for them to actually beat us, but it's not entirely impossible if the crowd and the momentum get going against us. Their offense is going to have A LOT of trouble moving the ball on our D though. Kellen Mond isn't scaring anyone (neither is Starkel).

Their defense should be improved (it needs to be, they were only 73rd in defensive S&P+ last year) and capable of slowing us down, but i think the bottom line is that if we take care of the ball and play relatively well on offense, we will win.

Re: Anyone concerned about the Aggies next- we'll be ready

Aug 28, 2018, 8:40 AM

and hopefully the AC on the busses will be ready

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not even a little concerned about TAMU

Aug 28, 2018, 8:43 AM

Any team that loses to Wake in a bowl game deserves absolutely zero respect. I think we dominate this game from the start, we shut their fans up early and watch them leave the stadium at halftime slumped over heading back to their tailgates where they will eat that shoe leather crap they call BBQ.

Those are some great points well made!

Aug 28, 2018, 9:07 AM

Thanks GWP

Not till Saturday around 5pm***

Aug 28, 2018, 8:59 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Not worried whatsoever

Aug 28, 2018, 9:52 AM

I can say whatever I want; the team will prepare for them the same way they have for all the other ranked teams they've killed the past seven years.

Jimbo is a great coach, but found a way to go 3-5 in the conference with what was easily the second-most talented roster in the ACC. Not only did they only win three, but they were over Duke, Syracuse and Wake! Not exactly cream of the ACC crop. He strikes me as someone that's hard to get along with and play for. How else does FSU not lock up a Natty-winning coach? Texas A&M may already know that but they'll find out the hard way next Saturday if they don't.

There is a large talent gap between FSU and A&M and I'm not worried about Jimbo "knowing us" because we also "know" him. Their O-line is a MESS: LT transferred so the only position they really feel good about is center with Erik McCoy. Ask FSU and Auburn: bad O-lines aren't how you beat Clemson. On defense, Durham is a good end (10.5 sacks) but they gave up at least 35 points SIX TIMES last year. That won't fix overnight.

A&M is at most the fourth hardest game on the schedule. This one isn't close by halftime.

Tigers 41
Aggies 10

Aug 28, 2018, 10:25 AM

In a word, NO! Dabo knows the team will face a hostile crowd, but if we focus with sound preparation and solid leadership then we should win by multiple scores. We have excellent talent, but most importantly experienced players who are used to competing in tough environments.

Go Tigers!

Aug 28, 2018, 10:32 AM

They have 2 decent experienced qbs. A great RB and some good WRs. Not sure how their line is on O but their DL is usually pretty stoudt. Their secondary was exposed last year tho so maybe we can take advantage if they have not improved much. They have talent but not sure how they transfer into Jimbos system. It won't be easy on the road especially with 100,000 fans. We are prepared tho and gave a great D with a QB that has won on the road. I see us winning 31-13.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic