Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody think Cromwell will get the start at 3rd tonight?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Anybody think Cromwell will get the start at 3rd tonight?

May 16, 2017, 1:06 PM

He did get a hit in his at bat late sunday. Also did anyone notice on Beer's errant throws Kyle Peterson said Beer doesn't have a good arm??? Those 2 throws certainly were his worst. Outside of those he is pretty d@mn good at throwing runners out. In big situations as well. I think he has a cannon. Peterson is usually on spot, but was totally off there

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody think Cromwell will get the start at 3rd tonight?

May 16, 2017, 2:33 PM

I am wondering how long it will take before we see Beer drop down the lineup. I know he had a killer season last year and he walks a lot, but he is having a lot of difficulty seeing good pitches and squaring them up. He came up in some big spots this past weekend and has really not delivered in the clutch recently.

Why not move Williams to 4th, Cox 5th, Beer 6th or Williams, Beer, Cox?

I feel like if this was anyone else in the lineup that didn't have the season he had last year it would have already happened.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2017, 2:39 PM

Can't move Cox up either. He doesn't get big hits. He had a lot of hits with nobody on vs Louisville, but with runners on he only got 1. I don't think moving anybody at this point is going to help anything. Guys are just gonna have to hit

May 16, 2017, 4:24 PM

COX HAD 5 HITS IN A ROW FROM GAME 1 TO GAME 2. NOT HIS FAULT IF NO ONE WAS ON.

May 16, 2017, 6:51 PM

No it's not is fault, but my point still stands. Cox doesn't hit well with runners on base. Had they been on base he wouldn't have gotten those hits. Before you ask why, just look at his numbers with men on base or with runners in scoring position

May 16, 2017, 7:00 PM

think it was pretty obvious cromwell isn't/wasn't gonna start over byrd. people made waaay too much over him being PH for mid at bat.
and think it is obvious you haven't really payed attention to beer's throwing. yes, he's made a few good throws, but any knowledgeable fan would tell you his arm is below av, esp for RF. he MAY be able to play some LF in the pro's, but here is a reason we to move him to 1b. You'll prob see us try that again next year.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2017, 7:02 PM

dont argue with sowell he will threaten to hit you in the nose. lol

May 16, 2017, 7:33 PM

nice

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

May 16, 2017, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Anybody think Cromwell will get the start at 3rd tonight? ]

Beer has a cannon. Other than last weekend he's been slinging it from RF like crazy. Nobody on the team is even close to the number of assists that Beer has from the OF. Who else has a better arm on the bench that you could put out there?

May 16, 2017, 7:39 PM

jackson, wharton, maybe even bryant have at least equal, if not better arms than beer. are they as good, across the board, as beer? certainly not. and number of assists sometimes mean people are running on your arm, much like a SS with superior range makes more errors

May 16, 2017, 7:41 PM

This scouting tells a different story about Beer's arm

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=292193

May 16, 2017, 7:56 PM

LOL. read the entire report and it says 'he is long and loose in the OF". no one in his right mind thinks beer is "loose". And there is more ton arm than just strength/velocity. how accurate is he ? how quickly does he release . again, hell of a player. keep searching reports.. and you'll see the pro's project him as a 1B

May 16, 2017, 8:00 PM

Beer was considerably looser last year before he packed on 25lbs of muscle. He looks extremely tight this year which is part of the reason he hasnt swung the bat as well this year.

His arm is accurate when he throws it in. He looped the ball this past weekend, but generally he's fairly accurate. I think this weekend' throw was more about catching the ball flat-footed rather than over his shoulder after rounding it off.

And I see him as a DH to be honest. As tight as he looks this year, do you really want him stretching at 1B?

May 16, 2017, 8:05 PM

thought everyone knew the reason Beer is tight is all the swimming he did as a kid. staff has tried all kid of stuff, including yoga, to loosen him up. wt gain has nothing to do with it. beer was listed as 205 in high school.. this year's media guide has him at 200.

May 16, 2017, 8:12 PM

“I’ve added about 15 (pounds), 15 to 20,” the reigning national player of the year said swiftly. “I was about 195 when I got to Clemson. I’m about 215 now.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/college-baseball-preview-clemson-s-seth-beer-can-t-get/article_c29e95c6-f47e-11e6-b6d9-8fba139b27bf.html

And yes that is why he is tight, his overall muscle mass. But he does look tighter this year than last for sure.

And not that I disagree with him playing 1B, but it wouldnt

May 16, 2017, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Anybody think Cromwell will get the start at 3rd tonight? ]

be my first choice. At the next level, they're gonna have to really work with him though. Its the most skilled position on the IF

lol... what?***

May 16, 2017, 8:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: lol... what?***

May 16, 2017, 8:22 PM

1B is the toughest IF position.

Two things...

May 16, 2017, 8:25 PM

1) I strongly disagree.
2) That's not what you said the first time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Two things...

May 16, 2017, 8:29 PM

To your points-

1) It's an opinion, so you can disagree and I won't argue with you. I would say that I think Cox has it harder at 1B than Davidson has at SS. And you can find guys that will argue for either POV.

2) I think it's both. It doesn't require the best athlete, but it is a very skilled craft.

Every position takes skill, but to suggest that

May 16, 2017, 8:54 PM

FB is tougher to play than catcher, or requires more skill than catcher, SS, pitcher, or third is, at best, a stretch.

But like you said... it's your opinion.

Re: Every position takes skill, but to suggest that

May 16, 2017, 8:56 PM

Well masked tiger and I were talking in regards to moving Beer around, so P and C never came up. You could certainly argue for C. In regards to the other four, 1B is the toughest to transition to if you've never really played there... I think anyways.

You can put a SS, 3B, C or pitcher on first and they

May 16, 2017, 9:05 PM

can be serviceable. Most FB can not do the same at the previously mentioned positions.

Re: You can put a SS, 3B, C or pitcher on first and they

May 16, 2017, 9:07 PM

So you think our Ps, Byrd, and Davidson can do the job that Cox does better than Cox could do theirs?

Ask Logan Davidson if he'd like to be picking Cox's throws

May 16, 2017, 9:09 PM

or have Cox picking his.

Nice try. Link to where I said that?

May 16, 2017, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: You can put a SS, 3B, C or pitcher on first and they ]

Do you think that most FB could pitch better than most pitchers could play first? Same goes for SS, third, or C.

TIA.

Re: Nice try. Link to where I said that?

May 16, 2017, 9:18 PM

"You can put a SS, 3B, C or pitcher on first and they can be serviceable. Most FB can not do the same at the previously mentioned positions."

What I was saying w/ the Cox thing was that with what you said - as stated above - you think everyone on the IF could be more servicable at 1B than Cox could be at their position.

And NOBODY could go pitch better than a pitcher could play their position. All they do is pitch. They literally work on nothing else. Same for catcher for the most part. You keep bringing up P and C even after I said that masked tiger and I were really talking about moving Beer around, and obvioulsy P and C was something was never considered.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21569972#21569972

You said "IF". I noted positions that I felt were tougher or

May 16, 2017, 9:24 PM

took more skill. You then backed off of 50% of the positions I mentioned.

Thanks for at least doing that.

Re: You said "IF". I noted positions that I felt were tougher or

May 16, 2017, 9:32 PM

P and C aren't INFIELD positions. When people talk about IF, they don't reference P and C. But, even if we do---

Anyone would agree that P and C you cant just move anyone there and have them even be "serviceable". What we were talking about was moving Beer to 1B, which I don't now if I'd do depending on what we have next year only because I'm not confident in Beer playing 1B. I think a 1B could be serviceable at 2B, 3B, or SS, but you don't want just "serviceable" at 1B.

Ok. Good night.***

May 16, 2017, 9:38 PM

Re: Ok. Good night.***

May 16, 2017, 9:39 PM

But you are right in your assessment of P and C not being easy to play.

Now that I agree with.***

May 16, 2017, 9:41 PM

Oh, and they are positions played in the infield, they are

May 16, 2017, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: You said "IF". I noted positions that I felt were tougher or ]

not, however, considered infielders, which is what I think you meant.

"In baseball the baseball diamond plus a region beyond it, has both grass and dirt, in contrast to the more distant, usually grass-covered outfield. It also refers to the defensive unit of players that are positioned in the region: first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, third baseman. Sometimes it includes the catcher and pitcher who (as a tandem) are often referred to separately as the battery.

In baseball the physical infield is where most of the action in a baseball game occurs, as it includes that area where the all-important duel between the pitcher and batter takes place.[1] The pitcher stands on the pitcher's mound (a raised mound of dirt located at the center of the infield) and from there he pitches the ball to his catcher, who is crouched behind home plate sixty feet, six inches away at what might be called the cutlet of the diamond-shaped baseball field. To the left and right of the catcher are chalk boxes in the dirt called batter's boxes. The opposing team's batter must stand in one of the two boxes and from there he will attempt to hit the pitched ball with his bat. The umpire, who officiates the game, stands behind the catcher. The other important parts of the infield are the three bases, first base (to the pitcher's left, looking toward home plate), second base (behind the pitcher) and third base (to the pitcher's right). Together, home plate and the three bases form a diamond around the pitcher, with each side of the diamond measuring 90 feet."

Yes that's correct. Anytime people talk IF they refer to

May 16, 2017, 10:31 PM

1B, 2B, 3B, and SS. In college we referred to P and C as "core", not battery. No worries though, just jargon and how you refer to it. Gosh knows there are so many different ways to call this stuff that there is no right or wrong.

May 16, 2017, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Anybody think Cromwell will get the start at 3rd tonight? ]

Interesting stats on Beer's arm

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=292193

No***

May 16, 2017, 8:11 PM

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic