Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody here who thinks the country goes totally in the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Anybody here who thinks the country goes totally in the

Oct 22, 2020, 3:31 PM

shidder if your guy doesn't win the election? I'm talking major hard times, way worse than anything we've seen in 2020. I'm talking things like 1930's level economic depression, wars and international strife, dramatic social upheaval and strife, etc.? Or, do you think like I do, that the good old USA is strong enough to weather whatever changes may come?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't THINK that...

Oct 22, 2020, 3:32 PM

but I do know the chances increase.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody here who thinks the country goes totally in the

Oct 22, 2020, 3:34 PM

We got rid of the Medicare for all candidates, so either way I’ll be fine

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think we're headed for doom either way. I'd prefer

Oct 22, 2020, 3:34 PM

we at least attempt to restore our reputation on the world stage, but life at home probably won't change much.

Now I do think we're gonna have violence throughout at least the month of November, either way the chips fall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think we're headed for doom either way. I'd prefer

Oct 22, 2020, 3:40 PM

By restore, you mean handing cash to whomever comes with their hand out? No thanks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh, we've probably reached a critical mass population

Oct 22, 2020, 4:02 PM [ in reply to I don't think we're headed for doom either way. I'd prefer ]

where violence is a permanent fixture. We have enough people and enough outrage that there will always be protests and riots happening SOMEWHERE in the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. But I can understand why FOX viewers like my dad

Oct 22, 2020, 4:00 PM

believe this. It's what happens when you get your news from non-news entertainers like Tucker and Sean.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have a guy in this election.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:04 PM

I do think we're strong enough to weather anything though, especially if every tax-paying American has about $217,000 stashed somewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't have a guy in this election.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:10 PM

a wells fargo money market will earn you $1.84/month on that

Someone has to pay up sometime.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:01 PM

My biggest fear is 5%+ inflation. Lord knows if our economy really took off, let's say as much as China for example, we will have an economic collapse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll have one either way.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:11 PM

When the hint that we can no longer service our debt hits the market; the game is over.

I doubt we'd even have time for Washington to argue over budget cuts and austerity measures.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll have one either way.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:21 PM

Oct 22, 2020, 4:07 PM

no

but

one branch subverting another could dissolve the union, unclear if anyone would be willing to use violence to stop it this time

Oct 22, 2020, 4:09 PM

I think the country has a better chance with Joe Biden, but I think this country has some real problems in the near future. We have obviously had too much business closed.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:15 PM

You are nuts about Biden but most Dems are nuts.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:22 PM

I think Joe Biden is just an upgrade on Trump. That doesn't even mean Joe Biden is good. He is just better than the worst president in US history who is Donald Trump.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:34 PM

NO MATTER THAT HE MAY BE IN JAIL HUH.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:37 PM

You think Trump is going to jail?

Where is ANTIFA and the BLM crowd

Oct 22, 2020, 4:26 PM

these days? Or are we tired of that story?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 4:42 PM

User Logo
Smiling Tiger®
Ring of Honor [31916]
TigerPulse: 100%
Anybo­dy here who thinks the country goes totally in the [2]
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 3:31 PM

shidder if your guy doesn't win the election? I'm talking major hard times, way worse than anything we've seen in 2020. I'm talking things like 1930's level economic depression, wars and international strife, dramatic social upheaval and strife, etc.? Or, do you think like I do, that the good old USA is strong enough to weather whatever changes may come?

OH IT WILL BE IN THE SH!TTER IF BIDEN WINS. DO YOU PEOPLE NOT SEE THAT BIDEN IS ONLY THE CANDIDATE IN NAME. HE IS BEING RUN BY THE POWERS THAT BE BEHIND THE SCENES.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:52 PM

What powers are those

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah. USA strong like ox.

Oct 22, 2020, 4:54 PM

There will be fringers on both sides that will go whack for sure but not much traction for anything. This scenario would change of course if the election itself, and the results, were somehow negated. I can't say that I could rely on much of anything to hold sway in that circumstance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Headed that way, yes, but will not be affected much by

Oct 22, 2020, 5:04 PM

who wins.

We are becoming culturally adolescent, unable to stand prosperity. Rather than moving forward we have decided to blame each other, and hate each other, for things no one today has caused. What is the proposal that a culture can survive that/

Simultaneously, we have long since run out of money, and are in debt to the tune of $27 Trillion, and growing. That is $85,000 for every single person in the US, about $320,000 per family. It is 135% of GDP. Only once in our history has it been above 100%, reaching 118% in the year after WWII, and then quickly returning to around 60%. We are headed in the other direction at incredible speed, and the climate today is to fight about who can show the greatest wokeness by demanding the biggest additional multi trillion dollar, debt financed, "stimulus", clearly the biggest oxymoron in history.

We want more spending, we want more debt, and we want a governmental official to fix things for which we are collectively responsible via our individual actions. Doesn't matter who is elected, as neither has indicated even the beginnings of thoughts to address this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Headed that way, yes, but will not be affected much by

Oct 22, 2020, 5:07 PM

How do we go from 135% back to 60% GDP?

Good question. We don't have a lot of obvious wiggle room, do we?

Oct 22, 2020, 5:33 PM

Debt does that, as some families have discovered. Once the credit card balances are $30,000, cutting back on lattes won't fix it. Doing that would have prevented the mess if started 15 years ago, but today its a drop. It sucks, but that's the way it works. No painless fixes.

People say most of the budget is entitled, but I'm not sure that is actually true. If I remember my last look at a pie chart, the biggest slice were all forms of medical care. The govt is now a health care provider that runs a military on the side. If the military budget includes its health care, you can bet its a chunk of that budget. Why is that called 'entitled'? I suspect because of Medicare. Time to look at that as not entitled - as defined today - and that is going to require some reality checks. Will propose an idea in a sec.

SS is not an issue. The money to pay for that has already been collected. As I have often said, if one wants to dismantle that, no problem: give me back what was withheld from me, and I'll go away as quiet as a lamb. And very small adjustments to that, such as minor increases in the full retirement age, have large effects on sustainability.

The other parts of the budget are relatively small, percentage-wise, so cuts there have small effect, but maybe large effects over time.

So, off the top of my head:

- 10% reduction in all budget items except medical. Figure it out, spend the money more wisely.

- Regarding medical, lots could change. Primary care, and most medications, are cheap. 25% of the Medicare budget is spent in patients' last single year of life. People die, we can't prevent it, and we can no longer afford trying. Those expenses have to stop, somehow.

- TriCare needs to be more reasonable. We all love vets, but that is something no one else in the US gets. Make it work like whatever the revised Medicare above is.

I would look at the effect of those changes before addressing taxes. I say this only because a huge component of getting out of debt is growing income, and we can't have an economy contract while getting out of debt. An eraser on a pencil can't alone get one out of debt. Growing the economy at 3% per year would be huge.

This is getting into something I know nothing about, but my guess is that much of the debt was grown with instruments of somewhat lower interest than the earlier ones. As those first ones mature, the interest obligation reduces quite a bit, easing the budget burden. If that is the case, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

All that is off the top of my head. All responses will be fun to consider.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hoped for 40 more years to make sure I was good and dead

Oct 22, 2020, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Headed that way, yes, but will not be affected much by ]

before we go through the big crash.

My biggest fear is that we crash before I'm dead. I don't want to live through what that will be like, because we're going to take the world down with us.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:05 PM

It's in the shidder now because our prez is not the leader to get us out of the Covid crisis.

We really need sanity right now. If Biden won, you'd hear a unified reasonable voice coming from the Administration, and the only craziness will be from individual nuts instead of our leadership.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

mask mandates, tax increases, court packing

Oct 22, 2020, 5:09 PM

and even more spending. I'm not sure how that helps us.

Re: mask mandates, tax increases, court packing

Oct 22, 2020, 5:17 PM

If you don't know why masks are helpful, I don't think I'm going to be able to fix that for you.

The national debt is through the roof which will either be paid by us or by our children. Be nice to your children. Pay taxes.

Court packing won't happen.

More spending is hard to imagine given how much Trump is spending, but let's compare numbers when they come in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I'm not sold on the masks, but even if they might work, do

Oct 22, 2020, 5:22 PM

need a law? More policing? More fines? I'm at +10 with being over policed.

I don't have any kids.

I could see court packing getting thrown in with a supermajority of all 3 branches

More spending would happen when SPH is voted in as well.

Re: I'm not sold on the masks, but even if they might work, do

Oct 22, 2020, 5:27 PM

Masks: Let's just say that if we are forced with a gun to our heads to wear a mask to help stop a plague, I am 100% fine with that. I think some people actually need it because they're selfish animals and couldn't care less if they make the world worse.

Kids: Fair enough. If you want to shove off our problems on future people, I can't convince you not to be selfish. I certainly see the appeal.

Court packing: Won't ever happen. At most we could see an expansion of the Court, to take place slowly, over many administrations. But I doubt even that. I'd be happy to put a small wager on it if you think you'll be around for the next 4 years.

I'm drawing a blank on "SPH."

- Jonathan Swift

Masks aren't perfect, but they definitely mitigate the

Oct 22, 2020, 6:58 PM [ in reply to I'm not sold on the masks, but even if they might work, do ]

spread to the point where they're worth it. It's frustrating that we have all of these competing stances on the whole Covid shebang today still. I think Biden's position is mandating on federal property only, but also helping everyone unify around a way forward instead of pitting us against each other on it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: mask mandates, tax increases, court packing

Oct 22, 2020, 5:19 PM [ in reply to mask mandates, tax increases, court packing ]

You don't see how the masks help us? Odd.

Ask Nick Saban.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:22 PM

He said he wore masks all the time.

Re: Ask Nick Saban.

Oct 22, 2020, 5:24 PM

That solves it. You seem smart.

We are farrrrrr from being in the shidder now.

Oct 22, 2020, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Anybody here who thinks the country goes totally in the ]

We have problems, for sure, but it's been much worse and can be much much worse. That's what I'm talking about.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic