Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody else wondering why we didn't redshirt Overton and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Anybody else wondering why we didn't redshirt Overton and

Oct 18, 2016, 10:46 AM

Simpson? I could understand getting them experience if we played them several games but so far it seems like we burnt a redshirt on just a few snaps.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anybody else wondering why we didn't redshirt Overton and

Oct 18, 2016, 10:48 AM

Can't argue that point. And with the under-utilization, slower-than-expected development of Feaster thus far... it might have been in his best interest to redshirt this year also.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2016, 10:48 AM

Because the coaches didn't want too. I assume it's for the long term good of the team.

Maybe they will only be here fr a maximum of four years, so you play them.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 18, 2016, 10:50 AM

Didn't want to*. And thanks for the thumbs down. ????

Oct 18, 2016, 10:49 AM

Because players like that aren't going to stay for their 5th season anyways so there is no point to redshirt them

Both of them said that they had expected to redshirt and

Oct 18, 2016, 11:00 AM

were surprised that they didn't.

Oct 18, 2016, 10:50 AM

Personally I think Simpson has outplayed Hearn in his limited opportunity and he should get more PT. He earned a spot in the 2 deep and I think he's earned a hard look at a starting job.

As far as Overton... I have no idea except possibly they were unsure if Cain would continue to do the right things and needed a true 9 WR back up for MW

Oct 18, 2016, 11:03 AM

You bring up good points. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Simpson in Hearn's spot but he hasn't been given a lot of time yet. I had not considered Cain's situation. That makes more sense. I was just looking at having 1 catch all year.

Oct 18, 2016, 10:53 AM

Overton, if all works out, Will be gone after 3 years either way so it doesnt matter. Might as well get him some PT this year.

I think there is a chance that Higgins beats him out for the

Oct 18, 2016, 11:01 AM

backup 9 spot next year.

Re: why we didn't redshirt Overton and

Oct 18, 2016, 10:53 AM

I agree that if these guys are any good, they are going to leave after their redshirt sophomore ('junior') year anyway. This gives the coaches the option of getting them 'some' playing time - which they have seen in several games - in the event they are needed. we have been fortunate in the injury department as compared to a lot of teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Redshirting = planning for the future

Oct 18, 2016, 11:04 AM

I think we are going all in this season and not thinking 5 years down the road. If any guy can come in and help us make one play it can be the difference between winning and losing. Alabama won it all last year because they were the deepest team (and lucky). We had key injuries and just weren't able to hold it in the final game. Also a player can always take a redshirt year in the future.

We still have 8 games left

Oct 18, 2016, 11:05 AM

I imagine the coaches think those guys will probably contribute (and they already have BTW).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sigh another RS post

Oct 18, 2016, 11:06 AM

look if we RS them we are not guaranteed they stay 3 years, 4 years, or even 5 years,.

Mac RS and gave us 2 years of playing. Larry Fitzgerald RS at Pitt and left as a RS SOPH as well. We are getting them snaps and they will play at least 3 seasons. maybe 4

Oct 18, 2016, 11:37 AM

With the way the Tigers are recruiting anymore redshirting is probably a thing of the past. Most of these guys will be gone after their junior year. If you redshirt they will be eligible before their junior season.

No, for a couple of reasons.

Oct 18, 2016, 12:51 PM

Don't expect 5 years out of those guys, so anything we get this year is better than nothing we will get in year 5.

They will be counted on to be in the two deep next year and possibly to start. You need 10 linemen and 6 wide receivers ready to go to begin next year. With Williams and possibly Scott leaving(though it is looking less likely and he could find himself yielding snaps to more talented players) and Bell moving we are down to 4 - Thompson, Renfrow, Cain and McCloud. So, we'll need 2 more excellent wide receivers ready to play next year. The coaches need to make sure they have those two waiting in the wings. Out of 2 sophomores with playing experience and 2 true freshmen(and one redshirt freshman who looks to be a long way off physically), playing those two now should help the odds they find them in time. Probably not realistic to expect players to come in and start given how much better we recruit now. If we can find 1-2 stars out of that group next year, that would be ideal.

The offensive line is only losing one player, but the three freshmen that are avoiding redshirts seem to be much more talented and athletic than the our other linemen and we don't have any backup tackles without them(we have guards, but no tackles). Our guards seem to struggle with some of the movement required in our offense, so a talented athlete like Simpson could expect to start next year.

The weekly game planning, practice and playing experience is a much better teacher than learning a new scout team offense every week that will better prepare them for their roles in the two deep and possibly as starters next year.

Win-win. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the rookie salary structure in the NFL these days

Oct 18, 2016, 3:21 PM

has an impact on guys not wanting to redshirt, and leaving early. There is not nearly the disparity between 1st and later round pay in rookie deals that there used to be. Also, in today's social media driven world, as long as a top flight receiver prospect out of HS doesn't screw up in college, he will still get drafted leaving early even without major production. Much more stock (too much, I think) is put into the "measurables" at the Combine these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct

Oct 18, 2016, 3:55 PM

Either you waste a year with an RS on these guys or you use them for depth in their "RS" year. At least you get something out of them that way because they are highly likely to leave after 3 years and definitely gone after four. The 4&5-star guys aren't planning on being here for 5 years.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic