Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody been to Barbados ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Anybody been to Barbados ?

Apr 14, 2017, 6:49 AM

Heading there at the first of the month for a week's vacation , was wondering if anyone had prudent advice or suggestions as to what I should be prepared for .
All help is welcome , particularly financial contributions .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Anybody been to Barbados ?

Apr 14, 2017, 6:58 AM

Went there for our honeymoon. Can't particularly speak financially as my father in law paid for travel and board with points. We stayed at the Hilton. There's a rinky dink shack at the end of the road near Hilton called Cuz's. Best fish sandwich you will ever have. Other than that on Friday's catch a taxi to Oystin's, which is like a local get together (full of tourists) where there's all kind of food in a food truck style setting. Don't be shy about being offered a lot of weed there. Had to say no at least 50 times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2017, 7:07 AM

We also did a catamaran/sea turtle snorkel that was a lot of fun. Can't remember the specific one we did.

Ahhhhh - but how many times did you say YES !!!! ????***

Apr 14, 2017, 7:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Ahhhhh - but how many times did you say YES !!!! ????***

Apr 14, 2017, 7:24 AM

I never gave in haha

Impressive !! And sad .....***

Apr 14, 2017, 7:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

Wow , good imfo ...thanks for that ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 14, 2017, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

They do take US$. I think the island is pretty low crime but there were some sketchy areas.

If you're a drinker you have to get the local rum punch. But be careful. It'll put you on your butt.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:30 AM

If I recall they would just sell you the bottle of rum with some plastic cups and ice, and you would just sit outside at a table and drink it.

why would you say no?***

Apr 14, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2017, 7:11 AM

Went for our honeymoon. It's great. Exchange rate is 2:1. You can catch the bus like a cab. Super safe. Great food. Catch a horse race if you can.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Apr 14, 2017, 7:27 AM

My wife and I went a week after our honeymoon back in 2011. We watched the Clemson/UNC game at a bar on the beach. There is a bus that runs across the island that costed like $1 to ride and it was probably the highlight of our trip.It was basically a party bus that hauled ### through the island blaring rap music. We had a hookup on a time share on the water including two women who would cook the food we bought at the market so we did not go out to eat much, but the Rotis at the gas station were incredible. I believe it was a Texaco- this is no joke. I have never been anywhere else in the Caribbean but I'd always heard stories about people being hassled in Jamaica for weed. I was only offered it twice. Everyone else on the island was really chill and friendly. Barbados is supposedly the most educated island in the Caribbean. I would also suggest taking a drive up into the more elevated part of the island.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:54 AM

We're actually staying on an old sugar cane plantation in Oughterson , all up in them trees !

DB23

Took the whole family

Apr 14, 2017, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

last April. It was fantastic. Really beautiful and people were really friendly. All the other posts covered it, but definitely do the half-day or full day catamaran snorkeling trip. Swimming with the sea turtles was pretty cool. Water is crystal clear. Had no hassles with the locals at all. Tourism is their main industry and they go out of their way to take care of you. My kids were 11, 15, 23, and 25 when we went. All of them loved it and want to go back. I highly recommend it! Have fun!

Apr 14, 2017, 7:35 AM

I'm going to make this easy for you.

Trip prep:
1) Download the offline Map for Barbados in google maps so that you know where you are at all times and can navigate while you're there
2) Bring a traveler's set of snorkel and fins (reputable brands make cheap sets)
https://www.amazon.com/Cressi-Palau-Short-Snorkel-Packages/dp/B004EAXJ1Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1492168836&sr=1-7&keywords=fins
3) Bring a waterproof phone case/bag for snorkeling (I would travel light and not leave my valuables on the beach. Just towels and such)

To do:
1) Go to oystins, there are two main restaurants there (ask a Cab driver) with the best food. I can't recall the name (Georges?) but go to those two. People will ask you to stop at theirs and no, not all of them are the same. If you like fish get some Snapper, fantastic
2) There's a good rum tour (Mount Gay), good food tours also in Bridgetown if you're interested
3) Definitely go to Cuz's. Its to the left of the Radisson
4) The local bus runs along H7 and will take you anywhere on its route for $1USD per person. Their "buses" look more like minivans with a bunch of rows that you might see doing an excursion. However, do not be scared to use the bus to get to easy places like Oystins or Cuz's. Much cheaper than a cab. Plenty of tourists ride the bus. We took a cab the first day and buses after that

DO NOT PAY TO DO THE TURTLE EXCURSION!! This was the worst tour ever (company doesn't matter). They will sell you on "taking you to the turtles in a glass bottom boat". The "glass bottom" is a tiny square in the middle of the boat that you can't see anything out of. Basically, the boats act as a "waterbus". They come down to the beach, pick up people, go to the next stop 30 yards away, pick up more people. After they do that about 5 times they go out 50 yards into the water and stop and let you get out and see the turtles. You can literally throw a football to the beach, that's as far as they take you. We were furious, as were many other tourists, for getting drug around just to stop at a place we could easily have swam.

INSTEAD, THIS IS HOW YOU SEE THE TURTLES. Take the bus to Cuz's. Grab two sandwiches and two drinks for $11. Walk to the Radisson and go to the right of the pier (either through the water or go around front of the hotel). Now walk along the beach. You will see boats and beachgoers. As you walk, look out about 40-50 yards around the boats (3-5 minute swim with fins). You will see random pockets of snorkelers. This is where the turtles are. There's some shipwrecks maybe 75-100 yards out, and you will again see snorkelers at these spots. Drop your towel and clothes, pack your valuables in your waterproof pouch and swim on over to the snorkelers. Trust me, you don't want to pay $35 to get on a boat and have him take you 15 seconds from where you were on the beach to see turtles.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:49 AM

Fortunately we didn't fall for the turtle excursions. We rented a paddle board and just took it out into the water and relaxed. We had a little water proof iPod player that we'd take with us and we'd just mellow out.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

Excellent heads up !

DB23

Apr 14, 2017, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody been to Barbados ? ]

I have the snorkeling gear ( we were in Bermuda in 2016 ) but that turtle tour awareness is geat advice , thanks !

DB23

No, I have never been.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:42 AM

Have a good trip, dude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: No, I have never been.

Apr 14, 2017, 7:59 AM

Well , I will take pics of the monkeys for ya .

DB23

Apr 14, 2017, 7:44 AM

My father is Barbadian and I have quite a bit of family living there now. I've been several times but it's been awhile since my last visit. I'll get in touch with someone today for recommendations and send you a tmail. One of my cousins has a touring company. He picks people up from the airport, mostly business I believe, and shows them around the island. I can put you in touch with him and he could tell you everything you wanted to know about Barbados.

Apr 14, 2017, 8:00 AM

If he has an email address to share that would be splendid ??

DB23

Apr 14, 2017, 7:59 AM

My favorite spot on the planet, period. One thing that distinguishes it from some other Caribbean spots is the freedom you have to move around the island with safety. The people are terrific as is the fishing. Honestly, I'd like to retire there though I doubt my bank account will allow for it. Hope you have as wonderful a time as we did.

Apr 14, 2017, 8:12 AM

I stopped there on a cruise last December. As with all cruises you're a little strapped for time so we ended up at a place within walking distance to the cruise terminal called the boat yard. The cruise staff recommended it to us and I really enjoyed it. I recommend it if you're looking for a place to hang out on the beach. There is a bar playing music all day, rope swings, diving boards, water trampoline. It's not a 5 star experience but the water and beach are beautiful the staff and people are friendly and just a fun place to spend a few hours in the sun. Enjoy your trip

Apr 14, 2017, 8:28 AM

You left out some vital information. How much "baggage" are you taking with you? That makes a difference..

Apr 14, 2017, 10:00 AM

Going with my fiancé , sister and another woman .

DB23

Apr 14, 2017, 12:59 PM

I'm showing allot of restraint here..

I have been to Jamaica several times***

Apr 14, 2017, 8:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Going back soon ? ? ?

Apr 14, 2017, 8:38 AM

( fingers crossed )

^^^RA'd for personal attack***

Apr 14, 2017, 8:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I have been to Jamaica several times***

Apr 14, 2017, 10:02 AM [ in reply to I have been to Jamaica several times*** ]

I just noticed that my name was on your phrase thingy , about being a sewer dweller . Wow , what maniac sent you that little hate nugget ?

DB23

That's a direct quote from coachmac

Apr 14, 2017, 12:56 PM

I noticed you didn't deny it...

Re: That's a direct quote from coachmac

Apr 14, 2017, 6:20 PM

Ahhh , Coach Crack . That guy .

DB23

No need to bring the Zika back with you

Apr 14, 2017, 8:57 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Mosquito-Repellent-Outdoor-Repeller/dp/B00UTIDBW2

Thermacell is the heat. Do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Apr 14, 2017, 9:15 AM

Be sure to try the flying fish cutters (sandwiches) and Roti. Banks beer is the national beer and Barbados has some of the best rum in the world. Their tap water is filtered through limestone aquifers, and is some of the best I have ever tasted.

The 4x4 tour http://www.islandsafari.bb/4-x-4-jeep-tours.html(basically a convoy of old Land Rovers) will take you all over the island and is a good way to see a bunch of stuff you would not normally get to, plus all the rum punch you care to drink!

Barbados Blue https://www.divebarbadosblue.com is a great dive service that will get you an intro to scuba diving in the pool at the Hilton, then take you diving on wrecks in the bay, all in the same day.

Watch out for the Manchineel Trees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel on the beach. They are highly poisonous and if it is raining they will actually drip skin irritants on you. Most of them are marked, but keep a heads up.

Most of all, have fun. The island is beautiful!

Went there about 30 years ago.

Apr 14, 2017, 9:32 AM

Stayed at Sam Lord's Castle. Now a burnt out historical ruin. Anyway, the island is beautiful and on the north end, as I recall, there are caves you can tour with stalagmites/tites, etc. We stayed on the southeast corner of the island. As I recall visiting St. Lucia and later Barbados, there is a "rainy season" in that part of the Caribbean, so you may want to check. If you go during that time, expect a shower or two EVERY day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic