Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody Remember Doug Flutie And Boston College in 1982
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Anybody Remember Doug Flutie And Boston College in 1982

May 28, 2020, 8:28 AM

That was a great game. It Ended in a rain soaked tie 17-17.
I remember us driving down the field in the closing minutes trying to set up for a field goal. But as we got closer the storm got worse. The wind was howling and the rain was pouring buckets. We got down to about the 35 yard line but Iggy missed the field goal. I remember thinking how good Flutie was. Our players could not catch him. Every time we got close to him, he would somehow get away.
Were any more TigerNetters at that game?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: Anybody Remember Doug Flutie And Boston College in 1982

May 28, 2020, 8:35 AM

My wife and I were there and remember the game. We went to BC the next year when Flutie and BC beat us 31-16. In 1983 we only lost to BC and finished 9-1-1 (tied Georgia). Flutie was great!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 10:11 AM

My wife and I were there and remember the game. We went to BC the next year when Flutie and BC beat us 31-16. In 1983 we only lost to BC and finished 9-1-1 (tied Georgia). Flutie was great!

Yes, I was at the 83 game at BC. We were leading, but Flutie came back strong in the second half and BC won.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody Remember Doug Flutie And Boston College in 1982 ]

I remember the Georgia tie. Maybe the only game in the history of football to end with two consecutive fg attempts to end regulation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 8:49 PM

Two consecutive field goal attempts by opposing teams to end a game. Seems like Georgia missed sonething like a 65 yard attempt and Clemson turned it around on the last play and missed something like a 69 yard attempt.

IIRC Clemson attempted a long one first, then UGA attempted a slightly shorter one

May 29, 2020, 8:45 AM

But it was along the lines of Clemson attempting a 66 yarder and UGA a 63 yarder

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 8:41 AM

It was my freshman year and I remember it being hot and humid, so when the downpour came, it was actually pretty welcome! I also remember those painters caps being really popular (for some reason). Cut off shirts too. You are right, we couldn't get Flutie for anything that day!

May 28, 2020, 8:47 AM

That was my freshman year as well. I remember that year started out rough with a Labor Day loss to UGA. But we finished off 9-1-1. We could had played in the Orange Bowl but we decided to take our “punishment” instead of appealing and at least pushing back a year. So my senior year we went to Independence Bowl. So we traded an Orange Bowl for and Independence Bowl.

I remember it as much as for what happened the very next

May 28, 2020, 9:03 AM

weekend. I was working and living in the Charleston, SC area, splitting an apartment with a fellow coworker. He was a Coot fan, and convinced me that we should go to Cootlumbia and get scalp tickets for the Coots game the Saturday following our game with BC. (I think we actually got them for less than face value.) I wore my Clemson gear proudly to the game, and was getting a lot of jeers from Coots going in. "Ha Ha, Clemson got tied by little old Boston College!" Nobody really knew what Doug Flutie would become at that point, BC had been a doormat before he got there.

Well, the Coots were playing Furman that day, and, you guessed it, got BEAT, 28-23. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat on the way out of the Roach, and needless to say, was not the target of any more jeers or taunts that day. One of my fondest football memories about Willy B. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 9:06 AM

Is that the game where their running back Troy _____ lost the ball a half yard before crossing the goal line? Of course then there was no replay review so it was a TD. I was there!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's riding the Flutie Effect, captained by Dabo...

May 28, 2020, 9:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YjmXSyHa8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there and thought, Who IS this guy??

May 28, 2020, 10:36 AM

We couldn't get a hand on him is how I remember it.

May 28, 2020, 10:18 AM

Yes - I was a freshman and was sitting on the hill. That was the end Iggy tried his FG towards to end the game. We all swore the kick was good. I think it would have been the right side upright for Iggy - our left. I think the Tigers had a little UGA hangover that game unfortunately but much credit to BC for coming to Death Valley and tying the defending champs. I believe they beat us pretty bad in Boston the next year just to prove their point.

May 28, 2020, 10:27 AM

You're right. The next year they beat us 30 something to 17 if I remember right.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Very frustrating game. Flutie was a magician.***

May 28, 2020, 10:30 AM

Re: Very frustrating game. Flutie was a magician.***

May 28, 2020, 12:19 PM

You mean good ol Pootie Flutie?

We got robbed, BC fumbled going into the endzone and Terry

May 28, 2020, 1:14 PM

Kinard clearly recovered it but there was no review then and they awarded BC the TD...He clearly dropped the ball between the 1 yard line and the goal line and Special K scooped it up...The next year they just beat the HeII out of us

May 28, 2020, 11:06 PM

Before I retired, I worked with a lady that was a BC cheerleader when Flutie threw the Hail Mary pass. She was the Director of Transplants for our hospital. I somewhat felt bad for her as we beat BC each year in the final years I worked with her on her Transplant computer system. She was an awesome lady, so I respected that and never brought up the subject.

May 29, 2020, 8:10 AM

'82 we led 14-0 at half and Flutie came back and tied it, then swapped FGs. We attempted a 43 yd field goal on 3rd down in the rain. Not Danny's finest moment. At the Clemson Club meeting next spring I talked to DC Tom Moore and asked him to please pressure Flutie next time. He assured me they would.

'83 we led 16-0 at half and went into prevent, lost 31-16!

Message was edited by: djones73®

May 29, 2020, 8:26 AM

As a fifth grader, i was there. South upper

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic