Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any thoughts on screen passes? Are they good or bad?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Any thoughts on screen passes? Are they good or bad?

Oct 11, 2018, 11:10 AM

And f/up question, should we keep doing them or not? Oh and Go Tigers! 6-0 baby!

And let’s castrate some woofpuppies

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any thoughts on screen passes? Are they good or bad?

Oct 11, 2018, 11:26 AM

The screens are great if the opposing Dlinemen and backers are sucked in and penetrate too quickly. But trying to complete a screen when there are several opposing players within 5 yards is not too smart. We've already seen two picked this year (1 each for KB and TL). Seems like they should be used sparingly and not as an integral part of the offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 11:31 AM

I know that Wake's defense had issues, but several of those long runs for touchdowns where you never saw a DB in the picture were caused by the safety or corners coming up to break up a screen pass.

The screen passes that don't gain yards can still help set up other things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^This guy gets it^^ Go back and watch the safeties

Oct 11, 2018, 11:36 AM

bite on the screen action during the 2nd quarter.

And, a lot of those "screens" are simply RPO's that TL is throwing based off of Wake's alignment.

Oct 11, 2018, 11:30 AM

They are, as long as they are not the Rob Spence "Bubble Screen" variety.

Oct 11, 2018, 11:37 AM

The play that sprung us into life in the National Championship win was a screen that Cain took about 50 yards .
They perform a couple of functions for the offense .. and when they work they are a thing of beauty .
Don't always work ... but sometimes always isn't the point .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 11, 2018, 2:31 PM

THIS ***

plus I tend to defer to our coaches.

Oct 11, 2018, 11:40 AM

They're good if you're needing a half a yard to a yard!

Oct 11, 2018, 11:45 AM

I’d like to see them used less or at least until ARod gets more experience. I can think of a BS/wr to ARod to start the wake game. TL checked into that play and HR had sealed the inside off w/block- had ARod cut behind HR block, hr could have come off that block and picked up the safety, instead ARod took the outside boundary where wake had safety leverage and only gained 1 yard.

So yes, I’d like to see some delayed screens to the RB’s but TL has to sell it and the RB has to catch it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 4:09 PM

Yes. Yes. And Yes!!!!!!!

Blocking is key....

Oct 11, 2018, 5:14 PM

If the other receiver/ back gets a good block on his guy, we can get some yards. Several times this year the screen is caught, we miss a block, and they get tackled right away.

I think when you surprise a team it's effective, but when they know it's coming, like the first 10 plays, it gets blown up. As others have stated, its a read on the defense; so all the defense has to do is show us what they know will trigger a screen and then tackle us for no gain...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 5:39 PM

It is a supplementary play and should be used as such IMO.

Oct 11, 2018, 6:07 PM

Screens are great when used appropriately. I get that typically they are an audible based on what the defense gives you but my issue has always been that we tend to use them as an extension of the run game against inferior opponents. It'd be nice to see our guys set the tone and run the ball right at them, especially during the first few drives. This will wear down the defensive line and open up the passing game and screen game later as the defense condenses in and crowds the line.

On another note, I keep seeing people say that the reason ETN broke that first td is because they bit on the fake screen but if you go back and look they ran a blitz from the slot which forced the safety to slide outside to play man coverage taking his eyes off the back field and the counter is the perfect play against that stunt as the pulling guard and h back clean up the blitzer and lb and ETN is too fast for the safety to recover

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic