Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of yun's been to Antoine's in Nawlins or got other
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 3,124

Any of yun's been to Antoine's in Nawlins or got other

Jan 9, 2020, 10:10 AM

food recs. mainly brunch/lunch

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any of yun's been to Antoine's in Nawlins or got other

Jan 9, 2020, 10:17 AM

Antoines is still awesome. For a real treat tip the matre D $10 and have him give you a tour. The history in that place is amazing. One dining room was used as barracks during the civil war. One dining room was used for “coffee” during the prohibition years - peanut husk were scattered on the floor, when they were tipped off a raid was coming they would pour the liqour on the floor and coffee would be served. One dining room was a jail for a short time. There is also a family dining room he will show you where they trained servers (a 5 year apprenticeship to become a server) and the family ate every day. Highly recommend a visit and an awesome meal, either lunch or dinner.

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 10:19 AM

Wow. Sounds pretty awesome.

Jan 9, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Any of yun's been to Antoine's in Nawlins or got other ]

Fully agree. Antoine's is special and well worth a visit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 10:23 AM

If you like burgers and booze, Port of Call is pretty awesome. Fantastic big burgers, loaded baked potatoes and try their "Typhoon" it has "slightly" more alcohol than a hurricane. It was or it is a bit of a dive, but is usually pretty packed,

Someone else told me to check that place out.

Jan 9, 2020, 10:37 AM

Will try to make it there. I know there's so many options, hard to choose when you're time is limited.

Jan 9, 2020, 11:36 AM

Antoine's is awesome but pricey. If you are just checking out the city and need a place to stop in that isnt fancy:

Port of Call - Dive type place with good food

Central Grocery - Get a muffaletta (best in the city imo). Also its the type of place you can walk in and walk out with food on the move.

Cochon Butcher - you have to do this for lunch at least once there is nothing on the menu that isnt delicious
Herbsaint - same chef more expensive but really good

Mother's - Hangover breakfast food

Ruby Slipper - Hangover breakfast food

Then there are the nicer places where you can drop some cash (some of these places require blazers for men but if you dont have one, places like Muriels sometimes have a coat closet and can provide one)

Arnaud's
Galatoire's
Muriel's
GW Fin's

There are thousands of restaurants in the area around downtown, the warehouse district and midcity. Most of the food is great. restaurants in NO dont stay open unless they are very good.

Walk around, have fun. As long as you're a nice guy you're guaranteed a good time.

Cochon Butcher looks like it will be getting a visit.

Jan 9, 2020, 1:11 PM

Menu looked delicious

I second the muffaletta at Central Grocery. It's where the

Jan 9, 2020, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Any of yun's been to Antoine's in Nawlins or got other ]

muffaletta was invented, I think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 12:23 PM

Stanley for brunch.

Cochon Butcher for lunch.

Jan 9, 2020, 4:04 PM

Drago’s for Char Grilled Oyster heaven.

Cochon is great and GW Fins is really nice place with great food.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSUBaldguy is right on about Central Grocery

Jan 9, 2020, 12:29 PM

and Cochon/Cochon Butcher. Can be hard to get a table at Cochon, but Cochon Butcher is just around the side, buy what you want sammiches/bar food stuff. Duck pastrami sliders will make you wanna slap yo mama they so good.

Morning Call in City Park will get you good cafe au lait and beignets without having to mess around at Cafe Du Monde with the tourists...they better anyway.

Tacqueria Corona-but it's gotta be the one on Magazine St. Looks like a hole in the wall cheap Mexican joint, but it's really broader central American food, and they cook the real stuff there.

And not far from that, Alon Shaya's gotta place called Saba that is Mediterranean/Middle Eastern. It's a tiny place, but if you manage to get a table it's awesome. Plates and apps are huge, get a variety and share everything. They bring you fresh pita throughout the meal...and the sauces/toppings are freakin amazing.

Re: LSUBaldguy is right on about Central Grocery

Jan 9, 2020, 12:31 PM

Morning Call ain't dere no more, Cafe du Monde took over the lease.

one more thing about Butcher, get the brussel sprouts side, do it.

Dang...when did the CDM/MC switchout happen? I forgot

Jan 9, 2020, 12:52 PM

about the roasted sprouts, they are stupid good.

Re: Dang...when did the CDM/MC switchout happen? I forgot

Jan 9, 2020, 2:06 PM

in the last year, the city put it out for bid and MC lost.

Re: LSUBaldguy is right on about Central Grocery

Jan 9, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to LSUBaldguy is right on about Central Grocery ]

Central Grocery - Yep

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 1:50 PM

if you end up at Antoine's, don't forget to order the Baked Alaska.

Jan 9, 2020, 2:16 PM

BRENNANS, Fabulous Brunch...definitive Bloody Mary and Milk Punch

GW Fins, simple seafood done fantastic

Palace Cafe, much is done on rotisseries

Emerils, often voted the best in NOLA

Cafe du Monde, beignets and coffee au lait

Vincent's, best Italian food in NOLA

Mosca's, 20 mi from NOLA, best food ever, anywhere (but bring CASH)

K Paul's, get your drinks while waiting outside in line

Jan 9, 2020, 3:15 PM

I'm from Baton Rouge and now live in Georgia (married to Clemson grad and all in--go Tigers!). One of our favorite restaurants in NOLA is Mulate's for good Cajun food and music.

Jan 9, 2020, 3:23 PM

I did have brunch at Antoine's many years ago when it was one of the finest restaurants in the USA. Also ate at The Court of Two Sisters and Toujacs (sp?). The last 2 are long gone. I'm sure I've eaten at Commander's Palace but can't remember. I think most of the famous restaurants are probably tourist places now but there's lots of good food in the area. Hope a local will post. Cafe Du Monde is just tourist too, not special.

Jan 9, 2020, 3:27 PM

Court of Two Sisters and Tujague's are both still lively. I had read Tujague's was moving down the street, but I'm not sure when that is supposed to be, their website still says 823 Decatur.

Jan 9, 2020, 3:35 PM

Wow really! I bet I ate at those 2 places 50 years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the 2 places I ate a couple years ago as they were near downtown and great. I was born in natchitoches, so much good food in the entire state.

We are brunching at Court of 2 Sisters and doing GW Fins

Jan 9, 2020, 3:51 PM

on GAMEDAY for late lunch.

Port of Call - AWESOME place with kick yo heiney big drinks & home run burgers

Mr B's Bistro - head on BBQ skrimp - out of this world. Suck the head ! You won't regret it like Tigerbalm1® SAYS he usually does.

Mr B's is right across the street from Hotel Monteleone - the carousel bar - cool place to grab a drink and usually live music starting in the morning, even.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: We are brunching at Court of 2 Sisters and doing GW Fins

Jan 9, 2020, 7:17 PM

Cafe begneit is better then cafe and less of a crowd. Burger company is near the dome and good burger and fresh pork skins other food and a bar. Jacques imos is good stuff and plenty of breweries. Port Orleans is a good one.

Yes - Cafe Beignet all day over Cafe DuMond***

Jan 10, 2020, 10:04 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 24
| visibility 3,124
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic