Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any history buffs in here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Any history buffs in here?

Aug 24, 2018, 9:37 AM

"In 2011, John Edwards was indicted by a federal grand jury for allegedly using hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds to hide Hunter during the 2008 presidential race. The following year, he was acquitted on one count of violating campaign finance rules and a federal judge declared a mistrial on five other criminal counts after the jury came back deadlocked. The Justice Department decided to not retry the case."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-edwards-mistress-breakdown-americas-sensational-scandals/story?id=20854336

None of the donors faced any legal issues and the Federal Election Commission ruled their payments were not campaign contributions that had to be reported, both facts that the prosecutors tried to suppress at trial.

No fines, no convictions, nothing but politics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is much better

Aug 24, 2018, 9:41 AM

than bbbut Benghazi

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't looking for a dem with similar issues.

Aug 24, 2018, 11:16 AM

I was just looking for someone in a political position who had tapped some woman and paid her off. In a fair debate the decision that hush money isn't illegal in federal court should be considered without note to politics.

Perhaps that is why Dershowitz so clearly affirmed that Trump had broken no laws by paying off those women. I appreciate the left's position but the courts and the FEC declared him innocent of campaign violations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wasn't looking for a dem with similar issues.

Aug 24, 2018, 1:25 PM

It isn't about paying off some Bimbo. For example if a corporation gave Trump's campaign a condo which they then sold for the cash. That's a clear campaign finance law violation.

It's about conspiring to violate federal campaign finance laws. Then violating those laws and going to extremes to cover them up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A coverup is a vital part of a NDA.

Aug 24, 2018, 2:02 PM

"...if a corporation gave Trump's campaign a condo which they then sold for the cash. That's a clear campaign finance law violation."

Had that happened Trump's campaign would indeed be in violation of campaign laws. However, there was no corporation involve because Trump was using his money not some that was given to him by some corporation.

It's not a campaign violation if a candidate spends all his money campaigning. Trump was spending his own money therefor, he was only 'colluding, conspiring or planning,' to spend his own money which is not a campaign violation.

That differs from John Edwards case only because the hush money didn't come out of Edward's pocket it came from donors. Even then, John was found not guilty in a jury trial on one charge of campaign violations and the jury was hung on the other counts which cause the mistrial. Federal prosecutors decided not to retry him.

Furthermore, if Cohen was acting on behalf of his client, who was not guilty of campaign finance violations, he too may be innocent due to spending a clients money as the client wishes. Had a campaign violation occurred then both would be guilty of violating campaign law and collusion to violate campaign law.

There was a corporation involved.***

Aug 24, 2018, 2:23 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My understanding, and I am very certain Robertn will

Aug 24, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to A coverup is a vital part of a NDA. ]

correct me if I'm incorrect, is that paying someone off for information automatically became a crime and a campaign violation when Trump was seeking a federal elected office. I'm guessing he could have paid off his mailman to keep secret about the "Glory Hole" magazines he got in his male box every month, and it would have been equally as bad.

Yes, male box was on purpose

Re: My understanding, and I am very certain Robertn will

Aug 24, 2018, 5:43 PM

Details matter. It's not illegal to pay hush money, even if your a candidate for federal office.

It is illegal to let a corporation do it for you and not report it. a.) corporations cannot donate to candidates and b.) you have to report all donations.

Characterize it, minimize it, spin it...doesn't mater. He broke the law. You know, the reason we were taking kids from illegal immigrants....'cause they broke the law?

Q?

Aug 26, 2018, 6:07 PM

Would Trump have paid the women had he not been running for office? I think that speaks to the vast number of reasons a man might pay a mistress to keep quite and it's legitimate and pertinent in this application.

Re: Any history buffs in here?

Aug 24, 2018, 9:46 AM

What do you have to do to be a buff?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like I said..

Aug 24, 2018, 10:58 AM

Unless you steal campaign money it's the political equivalent of jaywalking.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic