Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any chance we still make the big dance?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Any chance we still make the big dance?

Mar 13, 2019, 2:56 PM

Need some teams to lose tonight and tomorrow but it is possible.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any chance we still make the big dance?

Mar 13, 2019, 2:57 PM

I think St Mary's winning their conference last night made this a loser go home game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's definitely still possible.

Mar 13, 2019, 3:01 PM

I wouldn't expect us to make it, but it's the first year with the new metrics. All of this Bracketology and bubble talk is purely speculation at this point. No one knows how the new metrics will play a part in the creation of the field.

With that said, you'd expect us to be pretty solidly in the field with our Net Ranking in the mid 30s entering today.

Unfortunately, we're also 1-10 in Quadrant 1 games now, which is by far the worst among potential bubble teams. That alone could eliminate us from consideration pretty early. Our only real hope there is that the committee sees all of the close losses we had in those games.

My guess is that we don't make it, but it is a really weak bubble this year. We definitely need to root against bid-stealers from here on out though.

Re: It's definitely still possible.

Mar 13, 2019, 3:42 PM

There's no realistic chance at all in my opinion...what are the "some teams we need to lose?" Because if those teams lose, than whoever beats them bolsters their resume. Maybe if we get the perfect storm of random terrible teams like Vanderbilt, Rutgers, and WVU making unexpected runs through their conference tournaments, but losing in the final so that teams like Texas, OSU, TCU, and Indiana get knocked off the bubble, but I don't really see any scenario that it's going to happen. We lost EVERY SINGLE big game this season except the one to VT. Some by excruciatingly small margins, sure, but that's what makes it all the more painful. This talented team had the potential to make a deep tournament run, but it's going to go to the NIT.

Re: It's definitely still possible.

Mar 13, 2019, 6:16 PM

We have a good NET, SOR, and BPI. We have a decent conference record and no bad Ls. Our quad 1 record is bad but besides that we look better than most bubble teams. We need some of TCU, Florida, OSU, Indiana, Big East bubble teams to lose tonight and tomorrow but not all of them. Espn says we have a 74% chance so I will believe them more than you.

only hope is that the committee pulls a surprise

Mar 13, 2019, 3:44 PM

It's happened before. I remember Stanford getting in one year when almost nobody thought they had any chance.

slim to none. We've basically shown the selection committee

Mar 13, 2019, 3:50 PM

that 9 out of 10 times we are going to lose a close game. If they already know we have no chance of advancing in close games against good competition why would the pick Clemson.

Re: slim to none. We've basically shown the selection committee

Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 PM

That's a really good point. Obviously the "eye test" is a factor in the committee's decision. How does that affect Clemson? Do we pass the "eye test" because we've played so many elite teams close, or do we fail because we have literally lost every single nailbiter this season? I still don't think there's much of a chance unless Ohio State, TCU, Texas, Indiana, Creighton, Temple, ALabama, and Georgetown all lose early in their respective tournaments, which is a lot to ask, but you never know. Our "net" ranking is still pretty high, it would seem.

Re: slim to none. We've basically shown the selection committee

Mar 13, 2019, 5:08 PM

Since we play close games against really good teams maybe we get in as the lowest 16 seed to provide a thrilling finish on Day 1 or 2 of the tournament. Kind of like bait.

ESPN analytics said we still have a 74% chance***

Mar 13, 2019, 3:53 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN analytics said we still have a 74% chance***

Mar 13, 2019, 5:03 PM

I saw that. The only thing we have against us is quad 1 record. We have better metrics than most bubble teams in all other categories.

I agree...I also don't see us playing a Quad 1 team in the

Mar 13, 2019, 5:58 PM

first round, so I don't see how they can use that against us

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree...I also don't see us playing a Quad 1 team in the

Mar 13, 2019, 6:01 PM

And half our quad 1 Ls were a 1 possession game. Teams with worse records than us have made the tourney before but most of those teams did have better records against good teams so idk. Let's just hope NET is their biggest factor.

Re: ESPN analytics said we still have a 74% chance***

Mar 13, 2019, 5:19 PM [ in reply to ESPN analytics said we still have a 74% chance*** ]

I saw that. The only thing we have against us is quad 1 record. We have better metrics than most bubble teams in all other categories.

Only if all teams ahead of us develop some

Mar 13, 2019, 3:54 PM

contagious disease that lasts for a month.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Mar 13, 2019, 5:04 PM

No, none

Stop it.***

Mar 13, 2019, 5:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2019, 5:27 PM

Slight, slight chance. It kinda depends on other teams playing themselves out. I need to look around at the other bubble teams. If Cuse goes down in embarrassing fashion to Pitt by 20+, then we might have a better case. They have a better record... but a stinker could cause concerns. We need OU & Texas to lose. Creighton to lose.

The more near bubble teams to lose and preferably lose bad will up our chances from 5/10% to 25% IMO

Yes

Mar 13, 2019, 5:48 PM

And better than most think. Of course, not as good as we'd like, but...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have 2 questions for you:

Mar 13, 2019, 6:06 PM

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!

DO WE DESERVE IT!??

We beat VA tech at home without their best player. Who else have we beaten?...

Re: I have 2 questions for you:

Mar 13, 2019, 6:22 PM

Well or SOR and NET says we are better than most of the teams on the bubble. They may have good wins but many have quad 3 or 4 Ls as well. I don't think we have earned it but I think we are better than OU, TCU, UF, OSU, Indiana, Texas, Cuse, GTown, Xavier, and St John's. Heck I think we would be Creighton if we played again.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic