Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scott Keepfer article on FSU game is a good read....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 3,199

Scott Keepfer article on FSU game is a good read....

Nov 7, 2017, 6:42 AM

Which version of Florida State will Clemson see?
Scott Keepfer, skeepfer@greenvillenews.com Published 4:12 p.m. ET Nov. 6, 2017 | Updated 5:06 p.m. ET Nov. 6, 2017

CLEMSON – Clemson coach Dabo Swinney publicly wondered which version of Florida State’s football team his Tigers will see Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.

Odds are favorable that the Tigers will get the same Seminoles that have floundered to a 3-5 record and put a 35-year bowl streak in jeopardy.

Then again, they may get a ticked-off bunch intent on making amends for a season gone awry.

“We know what we’re capable of,” Florida State cornerback Levonta Taylor said. “We’re finding ourselves right now, and we can be a very dangerous team going forward.”

Whatever the case, this year’s game shapes up as a distinct outlier in the series, which is tied at four wins apiece over the last decade.

Clemson and Florida State typically find themselves locked in a battle for Atlantic Division supremacy this time of year. Either Clemson or Florida State has won each of the last six division titles and ACC Championship Games, but this year’s game could be less of a showdown and more of a hoedown.

The Tigers’ locker room will indeed be filled with plenty of dancing should they wrap up another trip to Charlotte.

Florida State, meanwhile, will be fighting to simply engage in any type of postseason shuffle.

Even if they lose to Clemson, the Seminoles can still finish 6-6 and keep their record bowl streak intact, thanks in large part to a closing three-game, season-ending “gauntlet” that includes Delaware State (1-8), punch-less Florida (3-5), and Louisiana Monroe (4-5).

The Seminoles’ game against Louisiana-Monroe was cancelled courtesy of Hurricane Irma back in early September, but a rescheduling of the game suddenly sounds considerably more appealing now that a trip to the Quick Lane Bowl or Military Bowl could be in the offing, because who wouldn’t want to spend a couple of late-December days in Detroit or Annapolis?

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a preseason favorite (remember the Seminoles were picked to win the ACC title back in July?) take such a precipitous tumble. Who knew that a few months later Florida State would head to Clemson as an 18-point underdog, the largest point spread of the Jimbo Fisher era?

The loss of quarterback Deondre Francois in the season opener hurt for sure, but it’s not like the Seminoles are totally bereft of talent. This is, after all, a team that perennially ranks in the Top 10 in recruiting. Dino Babers or Dave Doeren or Dave Clawson can only dream of having such a stock of talent.

Truth be told, Florida State actually deserves some credit, because following a 35-3 loss at Boston College two weeks ago, I had penciled them in to lose to Syracuse this past Saturday. But the Seminoles actually showed up and claimed a 27-24 victory, fueling hope as they head to Tigertown.

“You had better be ready to play and play a great game,” Fisher said. “There’s a lot on the line as far as pride and the things that go on. And how you want to be perceived anytime you play.”

The Seminoles will be in the unfamiliar role of spoiler on a day when Clemson plans on a wardrobe change.

“We’re bringing the orange pants out,” Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant said. “There’s a championship on the line.”

Even though Clemson holds the tiebreaker over its closest pursuer in the division race, N.C. State, odds favor the Tigers claiming another crown, win or lose against the Seminoles, particularly since the Wolfpack still have games at Boston College and Wake Forest and a season-ending game with rival North Carolina.

But the Tigers don’t want to back into a title.

Besides, the Tigers have bigger fish to fry – namely a third consecutive berth in the College Football Playoff.

And a loss to an unranked Florida State team would be a huge sticking point in that regard, so rest assured that Dabo Swinney will be reminding his players of that at every opportunity this week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

4 wins each in the last decade?

Nov 7, 2017, 6:50 AM

Scott is no math major!

Good article, though. Tigers better come to play!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is my favorite part....

Nov 7, 2017, 6:54 AM

"a rescheduling of the game suddenly sounds considerably more appealing now that a trip to the Quick Lane Bowl or Military Bowl could be in the offing, because who wouldn’t want to spend a couple of late-December days in Detroit or Annapolis?"

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Annapolis is great. Scott should get out more.***

Nov 7, 2017, 7:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Annapolis is great. Scott should get out more.***

Nov 7, 2017, 7:22 AM

Agreed! I wish the Middies were in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2017, 8:37 AM

Yes ! I would trade about half the teams currently in the ACC for the Middies. Excellent academics, great tradition, class act, what's not to like .

Nov 7, 2017, 8:42 AM

What's not to like? Uhm...don't like chop blocks? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 3,199
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic