Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Can We Get Our Entrance Back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

When Can We Get Our Entrance Back?

Dec 5, 2018, 10:56 AM

Big shoutout to PETA for ruining the best entrance in College Football.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/clemson-stops-releasing-balloons-at-football-games-under-pressure-from-peta/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Animal Rights aside

Dec 5, 2018, 11:16 AM

Do we really need flying litter for the entrance to be great? We could do much more with lights and pyrotechnics if it needed more juice.

Re: Animal Rights aside

Dec 5, 2018, 11:40 AM

Yes we do, coot

Dec 5, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Animal Rights aside ]

Shut up coot.

First, the balloons were biodegradable. Multiple environmental studies on our balloons proved that they posed 0 threat to animals or the environment.

Second, Clemson used the balloons for atmospheric and weather related research. Clemson is a space grant research institution, and releasing those balloons helped us conduct a 25+ year long study on climate effects and upper atmospheric weather patterns.

Dec 5, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Animal Rights aside ]

We need balloons. We will let y'all keep the chicken "litter" in cootville.

Re: When Can We Get Our Entrance Back?

Dec 5, 2018, 11:17 AM

I agree, bring back the balloons, not the same without em

Did that hurt your game day experience at death valley?

Dec 5, 2018, 11:18 AM

Cause I didnt even notice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 5, 2018, 11:18 AM

I would settle for a full hill and angrier runs down from the players. It has gotten too skippy and not scary enough.

How do you propose clemson make students care

Dec 5, 2018, 11:21 AM

About football?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Get rid of the bottleneck single entrance that has more

Dec 5, 2018, 12:10 PM

security than an NSA checkpoint and takes well into the 1st quarter to get through. Let people stand on the #### Hill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I heard that 1 before

Dec 5, 2018, 12:46 PM

My response is.

Get there sooner. You know it is slower..get there sooner.

Your second point.
That was a saftey call. The liability of having 8000 people on the hill was more than Clemson wanted to assume.

Please no “get there earlier” snarkies WITHOUT

Dec 5, 2018, 1:06 PM

full disclosure of HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM DV!!

e.g., GVTiger = 45mi (I’m spitballin)
zxsam = 237mi (actual)

Leaving Lowcountry at 5am now (with 2, 7, and 12 yr-old grands) for a noon start. Sux but it is what it is.

If you are commuting 237 mIles to Clemson

Dec 5, 2018, 1:25 PM

For school, more props to you. Especially if you are taking a 12 yr old to class with you. You are a dedicated student.

But agian.. you know your STUDENT hill ticket takes longer to get seated/stood. Head to the stadium 15 mins earlier and you will get there in time for the cannon.

GVTiger < 45 mi??***

Dec 5, 2018, 10:26 PM

Re: I heard that 1 before

Dec 5, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I heard that 1 before ]

Liability is a silly excuse. As a State owned institution, liability against Clemson is capped at $250k per incident. They could put land mines on the hill and still turn a profit.

I didn't write the policy and I AM sure

Dec 5, 2018, 1:29 PM

As heck am not willing to spend 250k per incident just to get 300 more people on a hill.

But I get your point. Email Drad.

allow the Hill to be for anyone like it use to be

Dec 5, 2018, 12:40 PM [ in reply to How do you propose clemson make students care ]

no tickets and security checking them

Nobody will want to hear this, but the economics of this

Dec 5, 2018, 1:07 PM [ in reply to How do you propose clemson make students care ]

time have a lot to do with the appearance of student apathy. We were, in a word, HORRIBLE during my time in Tigertown, ('72-76), but it was a point of pride for the student section to produce enough noise to rattle the opposition. But, back then, the student tickets were lower bowl, cemetery side of the stadium. Now, my understanding is that the students are relegated to upper decks or the Hill. Season Ticket sales forced that move, thus my statement about the economics of the time. To me, a valid solution would be to build a new East Zone seating section above the Hill, reaching from side to side connecting the upper decks, and make that Student Only seating. But, luxury boxes being what they are, if that seating is ever built, it will probably be poshed out to the rich and famous.

There never used to be a problem filling the Hill, because kids back then loved to just slide down the incline for fun. Modern kids are not so easily entertained. If it doesn't have electronic buttons attached to a game, they want no part of it. Also, with ALL the games back then starting around 1:30 due to no lights at the stadium, we students also gravitated towards Section GG just to soak up the sun. Sadly, this problem may just be one of those "Time marches on" things which really has no solution, at least not one that keeps the Hill as is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nobody will want to hear this, but the economics of this

Dec 5, 2018, 1:17 PM

The balloons were a small and insignificant part of the Clemson gameday experience. Balloons and fireworks will come and go. Makes no never mind.

BTW, the hill was dead empty for a lot of games in the very late 60s and early 70s. In Coach Howard's final year hippies tossing frisbees on the hill attracted more attention than the play on the field. That made Coach Howard mad so he had the hill roped off and dispatched police to arrest students who went on the hill in defiance to the ban.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI. Students are not “relegated to the upper deck and the hill”.***

Dec 5, 2018, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Nobody will want to hear this, but the economics of this ]

I dunno about economics but I dnot recall

Dec 5, 2018, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Nobody will want to hear this, but the economics of this ]

Students ever sliding Down tyne hill.

Little kids yes, especially in the northwest endzone, but again little kids.

The hill now is ONLY for students. You have to have a ticket to sit there now and those are only given to studemts. Clemson also limited the amount of hill tickets. so the hill wont look as full as it used to even during big games that the students actally want.to go to.

My kids tried to get to the hill during the 4th qrt 4 times this year. 3 times they made it..one time they were not allowed in, even in the 4th qrt.

Dec 5, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: When Can We Get Our Entrance Back? ]

Boy that’s the truth. If the students could be bothered to fill the Hill it would sure help. A partially empty hill even for sc is pathetic . And I agree, doing something to keep it from becoming 20 minutes of trickle down the hill would also help

The hilll was pretty full during the scar game***

Dec 5, 2018, 11:27 AM

Dec 5, 2018, 11:22 AM

Yes a full hill would make huge difference

Dec 5, 2018, 11:22 AM

It wasn't PETA, it was Danielle Vosburgh, the "balloon killer"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/balloons-under-scrutiny-for-environmental-impact/

https://balloonsblow.org/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 11:47 AM

ANyone who is like me and grew up going to games in the 80s and 90s likes the balloons. But we need to get over it, replace the balloons with orange smoke and lights or firecrackers, something cool. Also, we gotta fill up the hill or add extra seats there on the flanks of the hill and make the hill skinnier.

The players should march down the hill arm in arm, like an army! Ha (joking).

Smoke?

Dec 5, 2018, 12:11 PM

Isn't that the exact thing we make fun of USuC for?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: When Can We Get Our Entrance Back? ]

All the wasted fossil fuel on transporting people to the game is bad for the environment. All the grill smoke and generator emissions is harmful as well. If we truly care about the environment, maybe we should abolish college and NFL football.

Dec 5, 2018, 1:44 PM

A tired old defense. Since you can't do it all, let's do nothing. Yeah that's logical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: When Can We Get Our Entrance Back? ]

Just tie the balloons to a reel with 500 feet of line and reel them back in to use at the next game!

Or, everybody bring an orange balloon and release them from the street outside the hill!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 11:49 AM

Our country has created a culture of wimps. Can’t have baloons, protect kids from having outdoor activities,everyone gets a trophy. They have no reason to excel. No motivation to work. If the current generation doesn’t make changes our country will slowly dissolve. I probably won’t see it but I regret it for the next generation,my grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Ok take a step off the ledge, buddy. It will be OK.***

Dec 5, 2018, 12:12 PM

Dec 5, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: When Can We Get Our Entrance Back? ]

Exaggerate much?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 11:49 AM

KFC is cruelty... bojangles is better!

As for the Balloons, yeah, that needed to stop. The balloons didn't make the entrance and it just not good husbandry of our resources. Negative impacts on our waterways (I took and aced my Clemson limnology/ecology courses). The admin did not "cave in" to groups, it listed to its students and alumni that took classes in long hall.

If you want to be wasteful, go to Cootlumbia. I hear they waste money, "potential", and time.

Dec 5, 2018, 11:51 AM

When I was at Clemson, a girl I dated was a research assistant and part of the pre-veterinary program.

She was helping a professor, Dr. Heather Dunn, transport mice across campus to one of the Clemson biology labs.

Dr. Dunn has been repeatedly harassed, had her home vandalized, and her life threatened by PETA sh1theads.

On this particular day in 2013, both my (ex) girlfriend and Dr. Dunn were attacked by PETA protesters, on campus, while transporting mice. These mice were infected with numerous diseases which they were researching.

Individuals from PETA attacked my GF and Dr. Dunn with baseball bats, and 4 individuals grabbed and pinned both my GF and Dr. Dunn to the ground while 2 other PETA individuals smashed the containers containing the mice (that clearly said "WARNING: BIOHAZARD), and then released the mice on campus.

Luckily, the diseases were not diseases that can affect humans, but who knows where those mice escaped to and what farms and livestock they spread their diseases to.

No arrests were made unfortunately. The case is still open.

PETA only cares about animals.

Dec 5, 2018, 12:14 PM

They don't give a #### about humans.

Dec 5, 2018, 11:54 AM

PETA is the worse organization in existence, worse even than the KKK.

Worse than what?

Dec 5, 2018, 12:15 PM

Re: Worse than what?

Dec 5, 2018, 1:05 PM

Worse than everything. Obviously meant worst.

Dec 5, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: When Can We Get Our Entrance Back? ]

https://goo.gl/images/u66Evp

Dec 5, 2018, 1:06 PM

#### PETA

Dec 5, 2018, 12:52 PM

All I have to say is eff those effing morons. I would release them just because i can.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever... it's just baloons. They don't make the entrance

Dec 5, 2018, 1:36 PM

any better or worse for me.

Which entrance? The current prance and skip down the hill

Dec 5, 2018, 1:51 PM

one at a time? Or the real “most exciting...” from the past? There’s a difference and balloons have nothing to do with it.

CO2 Fire Extinguishers cause global warming and are

Dec 5, 2018, 3:39 PM

destroying the Ozone Layer.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 5, 2018, 4:03 PM

I don't want the balloons. I just want the players to rush down the hill like they used to, not 2 players at a time.
Definitely not the most exciting 25 seconds that way.

Dec 5, 2018, 11:37 PM

I would almost guarantee PETA had jack squat to do with it. They are media ###### and saw an opening to gain some publicity (to mean $$$). This issue has been simmering for a while.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic