Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Andrew Harrison racist comments and double standard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 118
| visibility 1

Andrew Harrison racist comments and double standard

Apr 5, 2015, 2:20 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/kentucky-reviewing-andrew-harrisons-postgame-comments/2015/04/05/e52958a2-db57-11e4-bf0b-f648b95a6488_story.html

This will more than likely be a one day story and Kentucky will slap his wrist and say you shouldn't have done that. Now imagine if it were reversed and it was Kaninsky on the mike talking about Harrison. It would dominate news for months, Kaminsky would be expelled from school without being able to graduate and his NBA chances would be limited. We have problems here in the US but it's naive to think its a one way street.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Andrew Harrison racist comments and double standard

Apr 5, 2015, 3:42 AM

He spoke like a true UK fan. Kentucky's program and fan base is just one huge double standard.

Point!!! UK plays in Rupp Arena - research that name. AND

Apr 5, 2015, 10:08 AM

I have heard UK fans refer to their beloved basketball players on numerous occasions using the same derogatory term. I do not get it - how can a fan hate your players race and love the Cats.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are you talking about

Apr 5, 2015, 6:03 AM

He didn't say anything remotely racist..

Mic picked him up saying "F*** that N*****" about a

Apr 5, 2015, 6:17 AM

Wisconsin player. That sounds pretty racist to me.

Tiger/Terrier

How is a black guy referring to someone as

Apr 5, 2015, 6:46 AM

a n***a racist? Many black folks use the word as a term of endearment. In this case, he is ***CLEARLY*** using the word in the sense of "f*** that guy" with no racial connotation. Rude, sure, but not racist.. NOT TO MENTION that he was probably talking about the reporter who asked the question, rather than Kaminsky..

Also note that he clearly used the word n***a , rather than the other version (n****r).. the huge difference between the two you seem to either be ignoring or perhaps you genuinely don't understand..

Re: How is a black guy referring to someone as

Apr 5, 2015, 6:54 AM

No , he was talking about Kaminsky ...not the reporter. He was being a petulant , crybaby and showing the mental wear and tear that is associated with being beaten when you are the perceived favorite.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 5, 2015, 7:25 AM

As stated earlier blacks use the n word all the time and in many different context.It is ok to completely write out the word ###### or ##### because apparently the word is not offensive since it is still used by a large portion of American citizens who were once thought to be offended by it. Surely if we ban something (unwritten) it's meant for everyone for everyone and not just certain segments of the population

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

America: where what words you are allowed to say are based on your

Apr 5, 2015, 8:58 AM

skin color. Skin color is SO important, but don't be racist, y'all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

The civil rights struggle that culminated in the 60s was

Apr 5, 2015, 9:19 AM

all about minorities, particularly blacks, getting equal rights with whites, and ending years of discrimination based on skin color. It was understood that the bigger, overriding and underpinning principle was that skin color does not matter, and the goal was to have a color-blind society, and that we should all be treated the same regardless of skin color.

Black people being discriminated against was not THE problem, but was on the result of judging people based on the color of their skin and having different rules for people based on skin color.

All of that has been stripped away and thrown out with the trash, and replaced with the very thing that was THE problem to start with - treating people differently based on the color of their skin; different sets of ridiculous, absurd "rules" for people based entirely on skin color. The lesson was not learned, and THE problem continues.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 5, 2015, 7:16 AM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

JD - you are showing your racist colors right now - If I understand YOU correctly, you have just pissed me off with your double standard chit. Me and you would never, ever get along as I don't tolerate that stupid chit.

If Harrison indeed said what everyone is saying he said, and UK does not kick his sorry ### out of school just like USUC did that girl last week, then I hope the NCAA steps in and shuts down the entire UK program.

There's nothing racist about anything I or Harrison said***

Apr 5, 2015, 7:18 AM

it's not a lie if you believe it

Apr 5, 2015, 8:59 AM

that word is wither OK for everyone to use or should be banned from the face of the Earth - choose one or the other, or it is a double-standard.

Inequality is defined by the ability or right for one group of people to do something that another group cannot, and are punished for doing.

That might make sense if

Apr 6, 2015, 1:57 AM

calling a white guy a ##### could be construed as racially insensitive. Hint: It can't. Never has. Never will.

It's not the word.

Why does it bother you so much that black folks can use

Apr 5, 2015, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

the N-word and you can't? Why do you want to use it so badly?

Re: Why does it bother you so much that black folks can use

Apr 5, 2015, 7:39 AM

Yo momma

Apr 6, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Why does it bother you so much that black folks can use ]

As a white guy it doesn't really bother me, but I do see the double standard in a way. The reason I say that is I believe in treating others the way you want to be treated. In this case if you're a black person and think of that word as racist and ignorant and don't want anyone calling you that, then you should lead by example and treat others of all races including white the same by not using that word towards them. Reverse roles here and the white guys reputation is ruined forever.

Apr 6, 2015, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Why does it bother you so much that black folks can use ]

As a white guy it doesn't really bother me, but I do see the double standard in a way. The reason I say that is I believe in treating others the way you want to be treated. In this case if you're a black person and think of that word as racist and ignorant and don't want anyone calling you that, then you should lead by example and treat others of all races including white the same by not using that word towards them. Reverse roles here and the white guys reputation is ruined forever.

again, are you able to grasp that a black man calling a

Apr 5, 2015, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Re: How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

white man a N***** is not racist, because white people have not spent the last 150 years having low-rent black trash use the term against them as a means to dehumanize them, while controlling all the levers of power in society? I mean, apparently no, you are unable to grasp this, so I guess this is rhetorical.

Re: again, are you able to grasp that a black man calling a

Apr 5, 2015, 7:47 AM

Soooo it was yo momma

There was a professor

Apr 5, 2015, 7:32 AM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

a while back that tried to use that term, but being he was white, turned into backlash for him. He stated it was common as "dude" but was in a mentoring position, not peers.

I do agree it is "street" slang and is made popular in the youth, but there is a time in place to say it.

"What's up my n****" has a very different meaning then "Sit down n****" or even in certain context "F*** that n****"

Just my two cents. Either way no matter what the slang, tone, or even look, one should be calculating in its use ( if at all) and understand there may be consequences.

Apr 5, 2015, 7:32 AM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

So if a white guy says f:) that n##### it also becomes f### that guy?

I mean since it had no racial connotation at all for him, the same logic should apply for someone else.

And by the way, the N word doesn't just describe a BLACK person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The N-word was created and used by white people to degrade and demean blacks

Apr 5, 2015, 7:38 AM

So ***NO*** is isn't the same when you try to use it, and it never will be. I really don't know why that is so hard to grasp. Get over it.. BTW, I'm white as they come

Re: The N-word was created and used by white people to degrade and demean blacks

Apr 5, 2015, 7:39 AM

But the N word can't be used to demean a white?

LOL ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He isn't using it in a racial sense

Apr 5, 2015, 7:45 AM

He's basically just saying " f*** that guy"

I'm guessing you are either old or don't have any (young) black friends?

Re: He isn't using it in a racial sense

Apr 5, 2015, 7:53 AM

What the #### does being old or not having any black friends have to do with you being a total racist? Perception is reality in this case, and my perception of you is that you are a complete racist that doesn't even have a clue that he is. But you will be the first to stand up and play the race card when a white person uses the same words. Yes - I see how you are. RACIST!

Apr 5, 2015, 7:56 AM

Yep. If the guy was white, would JD be here claiming he is "just basically saying #### that guy?"

Nope..the only word he'd be pointing out would be the N word.

Yes, IF HE WAS WHITE. God almighty, it's sad

Apr 5, 2015, 1:04 PM

watching tea bagels grasping to understand human relations and racism. Let me guess: you're one of those bright fellas who can't figure out why there isn't a White Congressional Caucus, right?

Re: Yes, IF HE WAS WHITE. God almighty, it's sad

Apr 5, 2015, 1:15 PM

What is a tea bagel? A slur about the tea party which I'm NOT a member of? And very far from it.

Re: Yes, IF HE WAS WHITE. God almighty, it's sad

Apr 5, 2015, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Yes, IF HE WAS WHITE. God almighty, it's sad ]

Hey look ^^^ here is one that can't answer simple questions so he throws slurs instead....I bet he also claims to be "tolerant."

Apr 5, 2015, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Re: He isn't using it in a racial sense ]

I don't recall any of my black friends or black co-workers using the N word. Maybe because most of my friends and co-workers are educated and don't use the childish slang.

And I'm 42, I don't quite call that old. (Although when I was about 10 i thought 40 was old LOL)

Apr 5, 2015, 7:54 AM [ in reply to He isn't using it in a racial sense ]

And my point is if a white guy had said it in that same context last night, YOU and most everyone wouldn't be saying "he's basically just saying #### that guy."

Of course not, because context matters***

Apr 5, 2015, 7:57 AM

And the context last night was the same for all of the

Apr 5, 2015, 9:46 AM

players. If you want to go back into each players personal history, who knows what kinds of obstacles or horrors each may have faced at some time or other, and therefore what words may offend them, which would basically make it impossible to have any dialogue with them or make any comments about them at all, lest we run the risk of somehow offending them. Normally, and thankfully, we don't normally operate in that context, but one in which the intent of the words used is taken into account and considered in a more immediate context.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: And the context last night was the same for all of the

Apr 5, 2015, 12:51 PM

What does that mean?

Reads like a bunch of made up gibberish.

Apr 5, 2015, 1:27 PM

It wasn't a racial slur. Not even a little bit.

Re: Of course not, because context matters***

Apr 5, 2015, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Of course not, because context matters*** ]

The context would be exactly the same. Player A is pissed because player B just beat his ### and ended his season. Player A says a remark about player B using a word that is frowned upon. Player A and player B are different races.

Apr 5, 2015, 9:28 AM [ in reply to He isn't using it in a racial sense ]

IF I did have black friends that used that word around me, I'd tell them to shut up or hit the road.

Per your logic, if my five year old hears one of my black friends say the N word and then repeats that word, My son is racist.

but your logic claims black people have no blame when theyre helping to keep that word in the public sphere.

If my 5 year old went to school and repeated a word that he heard from one of my black friends..should he be punished?

Then it would be perfectly acceptable for a white person to

Apr 5, 2015, 10:13 AM [ in reply to He isn't using it in a racial sense ]

to use that term when referring to a black person, as long as he wasn't using it in a racial sense. I'm fine with that.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Then it would be perfectly acceptable for a white person to

Apr 5, 2015, 12:53 PM

The word is a racial slur period.

listen here cracker

Apr 5, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Then it would be perfectly acceptable for a white person to ]

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serioiusly tho

Apr 7, 2015, 7:52 AM

If Harrison said, "man, eff that redneck cracka", then there may be some merit in this whole ridiculous double standard accusation. As it was, it wasn't intended to be a racial slur nor could it logically be one.

What if Kaminsky said, "man eff that whiteboy"? Can you guys arguing for a double standard not see how silly the whole thing is? There's no validity in that argument. None whatsoever.

It actually reads more like a bunch of redneck crackers who want to be able to call black folks ###### without ramifications.

Re: Serioiusly tho

Apr 7, 2015, 8:52 AM

I do agree that a black guy saying f*** that n**** is not that big of a deal. It is exactly like a white guy saying f*** that honkey. No one would care. Having said that, the kid is an idiot for getting caught on camera using that language.

no, the "n" word can't be used to degrade whites,

Apr 5, 2015, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Re: The N-word was created and used by white people to degrade and demean blacks ]

unless you as a white guy are offended by a term that has historically been used by white people to dehumanize black people.

Re: no, the "n" word can't be used to degrade whites,

Apr 5, 2015, 7:48 AM

So white people that have never personally used that word can't be offended if a black man calls them the N word.....you know since OTHER whites may be guilty of using the N word.

Makes sense...not.

Why the heck would a white person be offended about being

Apr 5, 2015, 1:07 PM

called a n*** by a black person? How historically could a white person possibly find that offensive? If I called you a Chinaman, would you also be offended, or would you laugh and say "I'm not Chinese, so calling me a Chinaman, while offensive to Chinese people, can't possibly apply to me"?

Re: Why the heck would a white person be offended about being

Apr 5, 2015, 1:21 PM

Why yes a white man can be offended by being called ignorant. Which is what the term ###### means.

So yes, if someone walked up to me and called me n or ignorant, I'd slap the #### out of em.

Speaking of ignorant........***

Apr 5, 2015, 1:28 PM

Re: no, the "n" word can't be used to degrade whites,

Apr 5, 2015, 12:54 PM [ in reply to no, the "n" word can't be used to degrade whites, ]

You have no clue what the word means LOOK IT UP

Yes, I understand what the word n*** means. It is a

Apr 5, 2015, 1:10 PM

shorthand, dehumanizing word for "negro." If he'd used the word Pollack for the kid, you might have a case, but the white kid isn't gonna be offended being called a N*** anymore than the black kid would be offended if somebody called him a Pollack.

Apr 5, 2015, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Re: How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

"Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a person of ANY racial or ethnic origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc."

But a black man can't look at a white person as inferior or ignorant per the logic of the guy above.

Apr 5, 2015, 8:35 AM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

Ok, so it's not racist. It's disrespectful. How about he should get punished for using that word? I'm sick of that word and the double standard for racism in the world. People bend over backwards to give opportunities to minorities, while in my experience the most severe racism exists within the minorities themselves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I understand jd404

Apr 5, 2015, 9:03 AM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

fahq you niggr

See how playful that is.

good to know we have a rassist expert round here

Apr 5, 2015, 9:27 AM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

Lol, what a fool. Maybe YOU don't understand. How's the weather up there on that high horse?

Apr 5, 2015, 12:38 PM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

What is the difference in the two words. I'a white male let me use either and I'm a racist.

I'm sick of people defending this crap if the N word offends you when some use but not when other use then stop using the crap and crying wolf when it hurts your feelings.

OH yeah that was a stupid post

Well stated.

Apr 5, 2015, 3:37 PM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

I'm as white as snow, in my 40s, and some of my black friends even call ME that. I too see it as a term of endearment.(when it ends in 'a' and not 'er'.) HUGE difference. Anyone who sees this as racist really needs to get out more.

Re: Well stated.

Apr 6, 2015, 12:06 PM

So Harrison was using the word as a term of endearment when he said F that n----?

Re: Well stated.

Apr 6, 2015, 12:07 PM

And if a white player said F that n---- towards a black player after losing to his team then it would be viewed as a compliment as well?

You see what you typed there?

Apr 6, 2015, 1:33 PM

IF

Period.

If an Arab guy calls an American the Great Satan, yeah, he probably shouldn't do that. If they just got done playing a game and the American played well and won, and the Arab says in a meaningless manner, "maaan, eff that towelhead", is it the same?

No. Not even close.

I'M OFFENDED!!

Apr 6, 2015, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Well stated. ]

Your black friends CLEARLY have double-standards. They OBVIOUSLY don't think all people should be treated the same. Nevermind the fact you get it and don't give a rat's butt.

;););)

Could a white dude mumble it? If not, it's a double

Apr 6, 2015, 12:04 PM [ in reply to How is a black guy referring to someone as ]

standard

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are you talking about

Apr 5, 2015, 9:15 AM [ in reply to What are you talking about ]

Why don't you go up to any strange black guy and call him that word. If you do that you are either stupid or ignorant.

"The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it"

Apr 5, 2015, 8:02 AM

-Morgan Freeman
I'm so beyond sick of hearing about this crap. Isn't it ironic that our country elected a black president and 6 years after he takes office we are the most politically, racially, and culturally divided we've ever been?

Re: "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it"

Apr 5, 2015, 8:06 AM

It would be nice if we didn't have to talk about racism/double standards, etc.

But I disagree with Morgan that not talking about it causes it to go away. I'd agree that some things we or the media claims is racism isn't really racism.

Do you have some sort of evidence

Apr 5, 2015, 8:11 AM [ in reply to "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it" ]

for this claim regarding unprecedented division, or is this just something you heard on Fox News?

Also, pretending things don't exist doesn't make them go away. I have to assume that quote was taken out of context.. if not, I've lost a bit of respect for Mr. Freeman.

Re: Do you have some sort of evidence

Apr 5, 2015, 8:16 AM

Mike Wallace: "How are we going to get rid of racism?"

Morgan Freeman: "Stop talking about [race]. I'm going to stop calling you a white man. And I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. "

Apr 5, 2015, 8:17 AM

When asked by Don Lemon whether race is a factor in wealth distribution in the United States, Freman said, “Today? No. You and I. We’re proof.”

“Why would race have anything to do with it?” said Freeman. “Put your mind to what you want to do and go for that. It’s kind of like religion to me. It’s a good excuse for not getting there.”

As for racism in society in general, Freeman said, “If you talk about it, it exists. It’s not like it exists and we refuse to talk about it, Making it a bigger issue than it needs to be is the problem here.”

Interview on CNN. didn't have a thing to do with Fox.

Apr 5, 2015, 8:19 AM

But I haven't found that exact quote the poster above posted

I was just summarizing what he said

Apr 5, 2015, 8:28 AM

I didn't remember the exact quote

Apr 7, 2015, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Do you have some sort of evidence ]

If you can't tell that racial tension is at a all time high in the past 30 years then You are being ignorant. Did you miss the whole Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown shootings? Do you think those would have made the news if the cop and the one who was shot were the same race? How about when our president goes on National TV and says, "My son would look just like him..." Because the kid who was shot was black. You think that helped ease racism? Grow a pair dude and open your eyes.

Re: "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it"

Apr 5, 2015, 8:55 AM [ in reply to "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it" ]

I agree Hoover. Having a 1/2 black man as President has really brought out the bigots and racist.

Perhaps we haven't put it past us as much as we thought we have.

I was in the 9th grade when South Carolina integrated the schools. That was back in 1970.

If the young man would be offended by those words he shouldn't udder them.

I've been called cracker, white bread, poor white trash, cue ball, white meat,etc...in anger and in jest

The only thing that happen to me after those where used at me was all my babies where born naked.

Let's try to love each other as we love ourselves like the bible tells us to do, even Coots unfortunately.

Not terribly ironic, no, that six years after electing a

Apr 5, 2015, 1:12 PM [ in reply to "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it" ]

black president, the South is ready to secede and a bunch of white people on a message board have hurt fee-fees 'cause they ain't allowed to call black people N*****.

Re: Not terribly ironic, no, that six years after electing a

Apr 5, 2015, 1:19 PM

Comprehension? I don't recall seeing anyone here make an argument that they want to call blacks the N word.

Point it out ....

Not ironic at all really.....

Apr 6, 2015, 9:02 AM [ in reply to "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it" ]

The man didn't have some staggering amount of the popular vote upon his election in 2008 and clearly from the rhetoric going around at that time, race was a factor for many when it came to the dislike of him. So explain to me why that would all of the sudden change over the last six years? Think those folks are going to lighten up? Heck, naw. They went and created a party because they were so angry and say it is really about the man's "policies" when it comes to their dislike of him. Like another TNetter said, what is it with the butthurtness a segment of white people seem to have that they can't freely throw around the n word anytime or anyplace?

Apr 5, 2015, 8:52 AM

is this a competition now?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

now?***

Apr 5, 2015, 8:53 AM

Re: now?***

Apr 5, 2015, 8:57 AM

excuse my ignorance then, I usually compete for who could care less about these poasts..

i recognize your right to care less.***

Apr 5, 2015, 9:17 AM

Apr 5, 2015, 8:58 AM

It's a double standard that will never go away. People of all colors need to grow thicker skin and learn to be the bigger person, when dealing with ignorance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Of course, there is a huge double standard. It's wrong, and

Apr 5, 2015, 8:59 AM

it only makes the problem worse. Racism is the most upside-down, a$$-backwards, most nonsense filled issue that faces or country. All reason, fairness, and common sense is shut down right out of the gate by rage, entitlement, and misguided guilt.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Of course, there is a huge double standard. It's wrong, and

Apr 5, 2015, 9:01 AM

I know when I get called #####, it awakens old wounds.

Apparently it doesn't open any old wounds for these young

Apr 5, 2015, 9:21 AM

men either, so I'm not sure what your point is.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Apparently it doesn't open any old wounds for these young

Apr 5, 2015, 9:25 AM

wasn;t going after you, I am just mocking the debate that this should be tacked up on the scoreboard, cause the game has become so unfair.

Well you got me again, dang it!***

Apr 5, 2015, 9:27 AM

- H. L. Mencken

No, it's not.***

Apr 5, 2015, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Of course, there is a huge double standard. It's wrong, and ]

Yes, it is.

Apr 5, 2015, 3:14 PM

It is a double standard because it violates the principle of treating everyone the same regardless of skin color (not doing so is the whole problem; oppression of blacks by whites is just one manifestation of that). Having different rules and standards for people based on nothing more than skin color was/is THE problem; continuing to do so simply continues the problem, even if done under the pretense of correcting the problem, which is nonsense on it's face.

- H. L. Mencken

No, it's not.

Apr 6, 2015, 1:49 AM

It's not remotely a double standard. You obviously don't understand the context, let alone the fact Harrison was complimentary of Kaminsky. You are out of touch with age group and how they refer to each other in this manner.

A black basketball player calling a white basketball player a ##### is not a double standard. You are aware calling a white guy a ##### is in no way, shape, or form derogatory, right? It never has been nor will it ever be. Can the same be said about black men? It doesn't even make sense to call it a double standard.

Again, if he called him a stupid cracka then maybe you'd have a valid point about double-standards. Then you could feign being outraged by such heinous behavior. But even then you can't group it against an entire race and call it a double standard. Even if Harrison did call him a stupid cracka, even then it would only be a double standard if Harrison was on record as thinking a white guy casually referring to another player as a ##### was derogatory. Or if Jesse and Al thought one was bad but not the other. That would be a double standard.

But as it was, it meant NOTHING but a referral to a fellow basketball player. Its what guys that age call each other. He meant nothing by it, and it cannot be taken that way in any logical manner. The word has never been used derogatorily against a caucasian. How can it be a double standard?

For the love of pete, some of you guys can't see the forest through the trees on this one. That and you are really out of touch with the youth of today.

Re: No, it's not.

Apr 6, 2015, 8:19 AM

I feel bad for you since I can see you have some passion behind what you are saying but the bottom line is you can't use that term and not offend somebody. Whenever I hear that term it offends me, period. I know where it started and I know how it is used today by African-Americans but that still doesn't make it right in my opinion. If a single word can bring out these emotions time and time again and make us have these conversions on whether it is right or wrong the easy answer should be to just get rid of the word all together. Anything that is right for one race and wrong for another is just plain racist.

Yes, it is.

Apr 6, 2015, 11:00 AM [ in reply to No, it's not. ]

I fully understand the context, and I'm not THAT out of touch with that age group as I have children that age, and we have had conversations about this very topic. Besides, I work with people that age, so it's not like this is the first time I've heard "#####" used that way.

I fully understand how the term is used, and that Harrison was not making a racial slur in any way. Like you say, it's what guys that age call each other. You are completely missing the point. The problem is, if Kaminsky had called Harrison "#####", there would have been #### to pay. Because of the way the word is used, it is also possible for a white person to use the term when referring to a black person without any racial intent, and in the same exact way as Harrison used it when referring to Kaminsky, in the same exact context, yet it would not be acceptable.

It's a double standard by definition. There are two standards, with the differentiating factor being skin color. It's a rule that is applied in different ways to different people and different groups of people, which is the very definition of a double standard. It's okay for black players to use that word when referring to a white person, but there would be #### to pay if a white person used the very same word when referring to a black person, even if the context and intent were exactly the same. It's okay for people with black skin, but it's not okay for people with white skin. It's a double standard no matter how you try to dance around it, and that's why it's an issue.

- H. L. Mencken

Are you mad white people can't freely say

Apr 6, 2015, 11:27 AM

the word or mad anyone says it at all or mad free speech is being trampled on in your opinion or what is it? Shouldn't the only person pissed about this be Big Frank and he has given his opinion and moved on? Sorry, man, but you sound like another angry white guy. Harrison is guilty of being just another idiot whether white, black, yellow, or green that has taken to making that word as common in conversation as Hello or Goodbye. I can't stand it. The gga version or the gger version.

I think all people should be treated the same regardless

Apr 6, 2015, 11:46 AM

of the color of their skin. I think it's wrong to discriminate or have different rules, standards, or laws based on race or skin color. If that makes me an angry white guy, so be it.

- H. L. Mencken

Hey, as long as you own that belief, go with it.

Apr 6, 2015, 12:58 PM

I'll continue to believe if you see one more story where a white guy is chastised for the word, and a black guy isn't, your head may explode. I wouldn't doubt if Harrison and Frank's conversation ended with something like you know you my n...a, Frank and the two laughed about it like two early 20's guys would. If Frank didn't care, I don't know why I should.

No, my head won't explode the next time people are treated

Apr 6, 2015, 1:07 PM

differently based on race, and the underlying principles of the civil rights movement are trampled upon. But I will continue to speak my mind.

- H. L. Mencken

Guy, seriously

Apr 6, 2015, 1:20 PM

Harmlessly calling an awesome white basketball player a #####, and when the said white guy understands the context, and states he gets it and doesn't care, then there's no need for you to "speak your mind" and exaggerate that it's a doggone civil rights matter. Oh my gosh please stop with that mess.

It was a simple word used in a meaningless context.

Apr 6, 2015, 1:16 PM [ in reply to I think all people should be treated the same regardless ]

It wasn't remotely a matter of people treating each other the same, in fact Harrison was in a sense elevating Kaminsky and his game.

Attempting to exaggerate this matter to a global issue of equality, that's downright silly.

Again, if he called him a clueless cracker, then this discussion may have some some merit. But he didn't, so it doesn't.

are you saying white men can't play basketball, or what ?

Apr 6, 2015, 2:40 PM

by your quote "in fact Harrison was in a sense elevating Kaminsky and his game." sounds pretty racist to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are joking............

Apr 6, 2015, 2:49 PM

Right?

You are correct.

Apr 6, 2015, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Are you mad white people can't freely say ]

I think this boils down the whiteboy being upset about the black dude using the word ##### to talk about another basketball player. Whiteboy doesn't seem to get it. Not one bit.

No, its not.

Apr 6, 2015, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Yes, it is. ]

You are either out of touch, don't understand the context, you don't understand there's no logic in what you think you're saying, or maybe it's a combination of all or several of those things.

If an Italian guy calls a Arab guy a Guido, is that offensive? Is it a double standard for that Italian guy to call a Arab guy a Guido?

If a Chinese guy calls a Polish guy a Chink, is that offensive? Is it a double standard for the Chinese guy to be calling a Polish guy a Chink?

If a Mexican calls a white guy a wetback, is that offensive? Is it a double standard for the Mexican guy to be calling white guy a wetback?

The answers are simple. If the specific Italian guy, the Chinese guy, or the Mexican guy has ever complained about being called a Guido, a Chink, or a wetback, then it may be best if he never used the term even if nothing is meant by it.

In these cases the speaker may be accused of using a double-standard, but then again, it's not like he called Arab guy a Towelhead, or the Polish guy a Polack, or the white guy the Great Satan. So really, calling it a "double standard" doesn't even make sense.

Then there could possibly be a case (although it wouldn't make sense either) where the Arab guy was offended by being called a Guido, or the Polish guy being called a Chink, or the white guy being called a Wetback, but the bottom line in this case is that Kaminsky already said he wasn't offended and alluded to the fact he gets it.

So let alone the fact it can't logically be termed a double standard, why are you offended, especially considered Kaminsky isn't?

Apr 5, 2015, 9:06 AM

As a 5'10" 170 lb WHITE guy, even one that lifts heavy 6 days a week, something tells me I'd get shot in the face if I said that...not only that, but the shooter would get away with the crime because of this "nation's" double standard.

F the left! F "political politeness"! Keep it REAL, or throw it away! RIGHT SIDE BRIGHT SIDE! H3ll yeah I'm a f#ckin republican! F the OBAMunists! ALL OF THEM!

GO TIGERS!

Couple of things...

Apr 5, 2015, 9:13 AM

1. Poor judgement does not constitute racism. Now, if he would have said, "F that cracker" or "F that honkey" then I would say it's racism.

2. Let's not forget what African American's had to do in order to get a chance to vote and get this country desegregated. It was only about 50 years ago that people in Mississippi (among other places) where hanging/killing and intimidating young African Americans peacefully protesting their rights through sit-ins and what-not while muttering that word.

The N word has a real significance in context to a black person not a white person because he doesn't have this history. Poor taste? Immature? Stupid even? Yes. Racist? Apples to oranges.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously the word itself does not have that particular

Apr 5, 2015, 10:10 AM

significance, else they would not use it. They have decided to accept it when another black person says it, but to be offended when a white person says it. The intent of the person using it has nothing to do with whether or not it is deemed offensive; instead the standard based entirely on skin color. Having standards based entirely on skin color is THE problem.

- H. L. Mencken

I understand what you're saying and I have had white people

Apr 5, 2015, 11:58 AM

get offended when I playfully called my black friend, my n*gga! And it was just a thing between us and he in no way was offended by it.

My point, I guess, was it's not a white racial slur however you look at it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may sound good to you, but it has nothing to do with

Apr 5, 2015, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Obviously the word itself does not have that particular ]

what transpired.

Bad judgment? Maybe. Racial slur? Not even close.

I agree that it wasn't a racial slur when used that way, and

Apr 5, 2015, 2:46 PM

it wouldn't be a racial slur if a white person used it that way either, regardless of whether they were referring to a black or white person. However, there are many who use a double standard and claim otherwise, and that's the problem. Besides, why is a racial slur any worse than any other slur?

- H. L. Mencken

Here's what you're obviously missing.

Apr 6, 2015, 1:53 AM

One can be construed as a racial slur, the other, not so much. It wasn't any type of slur or double standard. If Harrison called him an ignorant cracker, then even that would only be a double standard if Harrison thought a white guy calling him a ##### was derogatory.

Really bud, you're shooting with a shotgun hoping something sticks.

"bud" . . . LOL! Here's what you are missing . . .

Apr 6, 2015, 1:14 PM

I think the same rules, standards, and laws should apply to everyone equally, regardless of race or skin color. If that's shooting with a shotgun, then yes, I hope that sticks.

- H. L. Mencken

Didn't stick at all.

Apr 6, 2015, 1:24 PM

Your premise is all fine and good, and I tend to agree, however, it has nothing to do with this simple word, its usage, and the fact Kaminsky got it and doesn't care in the least.

There's no logic in what you think you're saying, and there's zero tie to this particular matter.

Exactly.

Apr 5, 2015, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Couple of things... ]

Wasn't a racial slur in the least bit.

That wasn't racist.

Apr 5, 2015, 1:22 PM

He was talking about Kaminsky as just another player. In today's world lots of young people of all colors and ethnicities refer to each other as "#####".

Just as importantly, white people have never in history been derogatorily referred to as a "#####". Now maybe if he called him a "backwards, uneducated cracka", then that would be a little different.

Re: That wasn't racist.

Apr 6, 2015, 8:23 AM

This was done on TV not the playground, at the very least Harrison should of known that and acted like he had some sense.

You're right. I agree he should have shown better sense.

Apr 6, 2015, 2:51 PM

But that isn't the issue being debated.

Apr 5, 2015, 2:11 PM

So white people called black people the N word for years. Black people adopted the term into their own community to acknowledge the common struggle, etc. And now that it's considered not tasteful for white people to use the word 50 years later we have the nerve to talk about "a double standard." Lol, this is a joke, right?

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

I think it's a ### shame when you can't insult somebody...

Apr 5, 2015, 3:25 PM

in public. I mean, if a man wants to insult another person and embarrass himself, it's a ### shame.

Doesn't the constitution say something about our rights to look ignorant and rude? It should.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the "but it ended in an A, not an R, Defense"...If a

Apr 6, 2015, 12:03 PM

White Guy can't use that defense, it's either a double standard or racist, or both

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was neither.***

Apr 6, 2015, 2:53 PM

A double standard for sure.***

Apr 6, 2015, 4:07 PM [ in reply to I love the "but it ended in an A, not an R, Defense"...If a ]

- H. L. Mencken

Since you've ignored every other valid and logical point in

Apr 7, 2015, 7:43 AM

this thread, perhaps you can tell me who's guilty of a double standard? Is it all black people? Is it Harrison? Jesse and Al? I'm sincerely curious to read your answer.

Apr 6, 2015, 5:16 PM

Harrison is just salty because he knows he ain't gonna do Ish in the NBA.

Only truly elite talent on their team is Towns.

Replies: 118
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic