Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can anyone explain why you would play the Semi-Finals on...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Can anyone explain why you would play the Semi-Finals on...

Oct 28, 2019, 6:39 PM

Dec 28th and the 2nd or 3rd place teams from the ACC, SEC, and Big10 play on Jan 1st? The semifinals of the playoff are what the entire season is building up to. I know its the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl but realistically those game aren't as important as the Semifinals.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can anyone explain why you would play the Semi-Finals on...

Oct 28, 2019, 6:48 PM

Money. College football fans are guaranteed to watch college football on Jan 1, even if the game doesn’t matter. Putting the games that actually matter on Dec 28 just adds another football day to the network’s bottom line.

Xactly....***

Oct 29, 2019, 8:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The CFP decided against mid-week games after complaints.

Oct 28, 2019, 6:49 PM

They decided to go with Saturday games for the semi-final and, of course, the championship game is always on a Monday night.

I believe it was designed to help the fans out from having to travel and miss work during weekdays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should be played the week after

Oct 28, 2019, 6:51 PM

The conference championship games. Waiting 4 weeks to play a game is why most bowl games are so uncompetitive.

I would prefer 2 weeks after CCG for semis, then Saturday

Oct 28, 2019, 8:03 PM

after New Year's for the national championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 weeks to the semi, then 3 to the Natty would be best !!!!

Oct 28, 2019, 8:07 PM

too much spacing out until the semi

null

Three weeks to semi would be right on top of Christmas!

Oct 28, 2019, 8:19 PM

Not a good idea. Need to go two weeks after CCGs, or wait to near New Year's, which would be 4 weeks after CCGs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's three days after Christmas now isn't it?***

Oct 29, 2019, 8:53 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: It's three days after Christmas now isn't it?***

Oct 29, 2019, 8:55 AM

The semifinals are the Saturday before New Year's Day, except in years when the Rose Bowl hosts in which case they are on New Year's Day. This year that happens to be Dec 28.

Oct 28, 2019, 6:55 PM

I’m still wondering why we can’t play the national championship game on a Saturday. You know, when college Fb is supposed to be played! You can’t tell me there would be more viewers on a Monday night than on a Saturday night!

Here Here!

Oct 28, 2019, 7:05 PM

Agreed. They play all year long on Saturday ( for the most part for the technical among us). And then the biggest game is on a dang Monday!
What about travel then?

Much easier to get off on a Saturday. Heck on Monday night - if Clemson is playing - I just plan on going to work exhausted! Especially when we win it(can't sleep afterwards).

The playing on Monday is right in line with how the polls are going with regards to Clemson! All about marketing dollars. Not really about doing what's right for college football or finding out who really is the best team in the country!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Can anyone explain why you would play the Semi-Finals on... ]

The NFL is in the playoffs and there is no Monday Night Football. They don't want to compete with the NFL playoff games.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 7:28 PM

saddis56® said:

The NFL is in the playoffs and there is no Monday Night Football. They don't want to compete with the NFL playoff games.

Makes sense! Forgot about that! Wish the NFL would stick to Sunday then, dang it. LOL! Thanks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree... Inexplicable.***

Oct 29, 2019, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Can anyone explain why you would play the Semi-Finals on... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 6:55 PM

It’s so we can keep our Saturday win streak rolling.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:07 PM

Is there anything else on Earth that we can find to complain about. Good grief people!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 8:33 PM

Right on! What about what Finebaum said, or espn, playoff theories, or orange overalls? (I’m pro orange overalls btw)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have never understood that. But I do know when the

Oct 28, 2019, 8:10 PM

Rose is a semi, then magically both semis are played on New Years Day. Remember the Sugar Bowl. That is the only semi of the four we've been in that was on NYD. The Rose would never let them move their game from NYD.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:19 PM

I heard because the ratings were poor most people are occupied throughout the country New Year's Eve.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2019, 7:24 AM

Dec 28th and the 2nd or 3rd place teams from the ACC, SEC, and Big10 play on Jan 1st? The semifinals of the playoff are what the entire season is building up to. I know its the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl but realistically those game aren't as important as the Semifinals.

First, it's not the Rose and Sugar. It's the Peach and Fiesta.

The games were originally on New Year's Eve. There was a decision to move them to the Saturday before New Year's because TV ratings were down on New Year's Eve (as you'd expect...everyone has plans that night).

The Rose Bowl is contractually guaranteed to be played on New Year's Day, always. It's part of the whole experience combined with the parade. So, in years when the Rose Bowl is a semifinal, both semifinal games are played on New Year's Day.

Message was edited by: clemsonbluejay

The point was I understand the Rose and Fiesta are played on

Oct 29, 2019, 7:40 AM

New Years Day. However, they shouldn't be played after the CFB Semifinals. Discuss.

Rose and Sugar are played****

Oct 29, 2019, 7:41 AM

Re: The point was I understand the Rose and Fiesta are played on

Oct 29, 2019, 7:46 AM [ in reply to The point was I understand the Rose and Fiesta are played on ]

What's to discuss? It's still the same answer - TV ratings and money.
There are about a dozen bowls, annually, played after the CFP semifinals. This year, due to the way the calendar falls, there are 18 bowls between semifinal and final.

If it was not set up that way, the CFP final would be pushed out to somewhere around Jan 20th each year and the gap in time between conference finals and CFP semifinal would be even longer.

And you feel the #2/#3 teams from the SEC/Big10/ACC deserve

Oct 29, 2019, 7:49 AM

New Year's Day position over the CFB Semifinalists?

Re: And you feel the #2/#3 teams from the SEC/Big10/ACC deserve

Oct 29, 2019, 7:54 AM

Why is it a question of "deserve"? I like the fact that there are days and time slots dedicated to the key games, so that you don't have conflicting events on at the same time. I also like that there are a few extra days between the semifinal and final instead of the standard one week.

So, no, I'm not bothered by the schedule. It's still more prestigious to play a CFP semifinal than a New Year's Day non-CFP bowl, even if the date on the calendar doesn't line up with your historical bias. And I think the decision to pull the games off of New Year's Eve was a smart one.

You have to remember something with all of this - there are dozens of bowls completely unaffiliated with the CFP. Those bowls have conference affiliations and multi-million dollar TV contracts. You can't just go dictate to all of them when they are "allowed" to play.

The Rose Bowl contract does expire after 2026

Oct 29, 2019, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Can anyone explain why you would play the Semi-Finals on... ]

Hopefully a better arrangement can be made at that time. That's assuming there's no playoff expansion involved as well.

The Rose Bowl signed a big contract prior to the CFP

Oct 29, 2019, 8:33 AM

which guarantees them the 4pm NYD time slot and they have refused to renegotiate the deal. It doesn't expire until 2026 so we are stuck with this format for at least 8 more years.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic